Stupid question about tense in internal monologue

hmg

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm becoming jammed up on this one as a result of reading too many books in the 1st person, present tense recently.

If I'm telling a story in 1st person POV using the past tense, is it okay to use present tense for an internal monologue where the character is thinking at the present moment? Or should the thoughts always remain in the past tense as well?

I realize this seems like a rookie mistake but for some reason I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the concept at the moment.

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Either one is possible. If you're reporting on what "you" thought back then, the past tense is entirely appropriate. If you want the thoughts to seem present, like dialogue, then put them in italics and word-for-word the way they would have been thought in the first place. Whatever serves the purposes of the passage the best.

AbsolutelyCate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catehart.com
If it's internal dialogue like here's an excerpt from mine -
"Oh, that’s fair. At the same time, I was relieved because I didn’t plan to go through that kind of nightmare again." - then it can be present tense.
But I would love to here an expert answer.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
I write in first person POV too and I use past tense, except for the internal monologue.
I've been told that the internal monologue should always be in present tense. I don't agree fully though. For example:

What had I done? (can be in past tense)

Why is he looking at me like this? (present tense)

If the thought is narrated though (without the italics which means it's not internal monologue), I would always use past tense. For example: I wondered if I could have done things differently instead of I wonder if I could have done things differently.

hmg

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so are the italics a must?

I've never really liked character's thoughts in italics but that's what I'll use if it's standard industry use.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
If you use present tense for the thoughts, you should consider using the italics, I think. Otherwise, it's jarring and makes it look as if you have mixed tenses in your story.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Italics are pretty standard when reporting thoughts in real time. It's not an absolute rule, I don't think, but most editors seem to tilt that way. But that's not a major issue, and can always be changed according to publishing house preferences.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
I don't typically use italics in first person, because, well...first person is already told in their voice. Their thoughts are evident by their way of explanation, I guess?

I don't know. I've never come to a point where I thought, "I definitely need to separate this particular thought with italics." Third person, definitely, but not for me with first person.

hmg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! The confusion on tenses is exactly what I'm trying to avoid so I will use the italics. I appreciate the very prompt responses.