What Would You Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
If you had ten extra author copies of your new book, who and/or where would you send them to. I want names, people (but not your own). Or--I just thought of this--what if I wanted to do a win-a-book contest? Anyone here ever done that?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I've been thinking of doing a win-a-book contest for Between Brothers. Depending on how that goes, I'll probably do it with my other books.

I don't have my author copies in hand yet, and only a few are spoken for. The rest...don't know yet.

Scarletpeaches gets a copy of each (since she inspired both, titled one, wrote their synopses/queries, and beta read them). Other than that...no idea.

Reaction score
I'd probably give them away to tt42, Libbie and Perks if they wanted one...the rest? A blog contest maybe, or something here?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'd probably give them away to tt42, Libbie and Perks if they wanted one...the rest? A blog contest maybe, or something here?

EEP! One for Libbie too. How could I forget? (SORRY LIB!)

I'm thinking a contest on my blog, but haven't decided exactly what I want to do.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Blog and/or Twitter contest. Author copies are great promotional items. You could also send some to the book reviewers/human interest writers for your local area newspapers, if your publicity team isn't already pitching them.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Beyond Katiemac's suggestions (which are all good):

1. Contact a local library that has a book discussion group. Offer to loan the books to the book discussion group and come to the meeting. After you get the books back, rinse and repeat at another library. Keep repeating until you are bored.
  2. Offer them at local charity auctions/fund raising drives. Try to connect it to you going to talk to them.
  3. Send to your local high school's English department and offer to come in to talk to the senior English class about the angst of being a writer.
  4. Send one to the local assisted living/nursing home and again offer to come in and talk about the angst of being a writer.
  5. Keep a couple for whenever you do a talk about your book and/or writing. Remember that you're now a published writer and you know about about the publishing industry, at least to those who are still struggling to figure out how to find an agent. Show and tell is important.
  6. Save a couple for your children when you get old. Helps remind them when you're drooling over your oatmeal that you were once something.
  7. Save one someplace really safe for thirty years from now when you can't find the last book you left out and someone doesn't believe you were a writer.
  8. Go through one of them with a highlighter and red pen, marking up the best paragraphs and correcting the crap you ended up with.
  9. Take one, cut out the center, and put something really special in it for your significant other, who's been putting up with your crap for years now. The grimace on their face as they see your book one more time and you tell them it's specially for them is priceless.
  10. Send one to the Library of Congress, unless you know your publisher sent one.
Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send one to my high school lit teacher because she called dibs on the first thing I get published. I'd probably have one stuck in a shadow box so it'll stay pretty. (feel free to laugh). The others, I'm not sure.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send one to my high school lit teacher because she called dibs on the first thing I get published. I'd probably have one stuck in a shadow box so it'll stay pretty. (feel free to laugh). The others, I'm not sure.

Make sure the shadow box has glass that will protect it from fading.

Mine was a Romance, so I used the extra copies to enter a contest or two that allowed small-press publications. Didn't win, but it was interesting to discover the copies I'd sent in for sale on half.com afterward.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone was interested in contributing to my main blog's series, "How I Got Published", and would like to give away a copy or two of their books as part of their articles, I'd be very happy to consider them. Just so you know. My blog gets between 10,000 and 15,000 readers each month, according to Google Analytics. And only about 9,500 of those readers are me, frantically refreshing.

:)

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
One goes to the person it's dedicated to.
One goes to my husband.
One goes to my parents, to prove that I wasn't wrong.
Two go to my dearest friends.
The rest? I can't say now, because things might change in the amount of time such a thing would likely take.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'd take those ten to a local independent bookseller and ask them to sell them.

That's actually Not Cool with publishers.

Twitter contests would be great. If you want help with that, PM me.

I thought the book was really good, and I wish it had gotten more promotion.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'd bury mine in a time capsule and throw away the map to the burial site.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
If I had still been working at my shitty old day job, I'd save one until I had made it big, written, "Consider this my letter of resignation. You have two weeks to find somebody stupid enough to want my job." on the flyleaf, and dropped it on my boss' desk.

Serious Desi

I love coffee!
Registered
Reaction score
At home, ( Seattle, don't tell the predators.)
After practically peeing my pants I would send a copy to the L.A. teacher that told me I could write.
The librarian who got me into reading ( and painting).
Then to my mother because she read to me as a baby, she never banished my imaginary friends and because she put enough tragedy into my life to make me a writer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.