PDA

View Full Version : Hi, can someone critique my blog?

cursedsillycause
10-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm nervous for some reason. I get a lot of compliments, but I'd like people to tell me if I make them laugh, and if it's well-written. I realize a lot of the stuff is hard to understand if you're not part of the tumblr community, but some of the posts are more universal.

Thank you in advance. I can critique your blog, too.

cursedsillycause
10-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Actually, specifically my Group #14: Mathematicians of Master Manipulation, and my Letter to an Aspiring Hipster post.

Thanks.

cursedsillycause
10-30-2009, 07:34 AM
THe link is www.saafz.tumblr.com (http://www.saafz.tumblr.com)

MacAllister
10-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Some quick impressions, CSC - I like the look of it, quite a lot. There's clearly an understanding of text, making text readable, and keeping the blog design bells and whistles out of the way of what you have to say.

That said, here's some advice to make it better:

Spell check. Spelling errors are distracting, and if you don't care enough to spell check, why should I care enough to keep reading?

Who is your audience? I can't really tell who you're writing to - and that's crucial for YOU to know, in terms of stylistic choices like level of diction and complexity of sentences.

Shorter entries are going to be more digestible, especially in an online format. A good rule of thumb is to cut 30% of your first draft. You don't have to say less -- just say it better and more succinctly.

Writing IS rewriting - and everything I see there needs another pass to make it stronger, more coherent, more readable, more specific, and better targeted towards your audience.

cursedsillycause
10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the critique. I guess you could say my blog demographic....idk, the hipsters I critisize incessantly? I don't really have a demographic. I blog for myself, and it's garnered me 214 subscribers so far.