Fun with Microwaves (don't do this)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I few minutes ago, I popped something into the oven. (the real one. The easy-bake) and then I popped the number of minutes I wanted it to cook into the microwave timer and turned it on to 22 minutes. (I always use the microwave as a timer when I cook.)

Then I came in here and put the headphones on and started perusing AW. A few minutes later, I smell a weird smell. I looked over at Roscoe and Dylan (kittie-babies) and thought, I wonder what they've been into to make them smell that way. Because, as kittens, they're always into something, They;re practically urban-household-terrorists the way they trash stuff around here. So, I thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later I decide to go into the kitchen to check the oven for my dinner, and I glass at the microwave to see how many minutes are left, and I see smoke pouring out!

Seems like I pressed the start button instead of the timer button, and I have been cooking a full loaf of bread, plastic and all. (I also use the microwave as a bread box)
The bread was HOT, as in smoking hot...the plastic melted all over the place. . .and of course, Dylan and Roscoe are looking at me like I'm an idiot. (I swear they were grinning at me, like, 'What a dumbass!')

so, a word of warning. Don't do this, it stinks to high holy hell.

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Not only that. . .but this is the 2nd time I've hit the wrong button when I was 'timing' something I was cooking. the 1st time I did it, there was nothing in the microwave and it got extremely HOT and started popping loudly, like it was going to blow. I swear the kitchen was glowing on that one.

I guess I'll never be a nuclear sub commander, huh?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Noted.

But then, I'm not allowed in the kitchen without adult supervision anyway. Especially since I blew up a microwave-safe dish in the microwave (I swear, I'm not making that up).

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
We just got rid of our microwave because when you opened the door, it would turn on and start to rotate and cook...while the door was still open. Make sure you haven't permanently caused yours to groan in rebellion and go all wonky on you. Cooking without food is bad.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
funny-pictures-red-shoes-cat-stupid.jpg

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it is time you get a seperate timer. I have a magnetic one that is attached to my fridge, but I can take it off and go upstairs if I am cooking and want to be on the computer.

On a side note, I have seen how dangerous microwaves can be. I was at work once and someone put a towel in a microwave to warm it up...pu tit on for 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds, walked away....and it caught on fire.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here I thought this would be a thread about what happens when you pinprick something like a Cadbury Creme Egg and microzap it for 3 minutes.

(answer: it erupts the creme center like a volcano. The results are mega-sweeter than original. It also needs to be cleaned out IMMEDIATELY or turns to resin and adheres to everything it touched)

My ex did this, just to see what would happen. (answer: a new microwave)

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
I once fancied some Yorkshire puddings, I had some ready-made ones in the freezer. It said on the side of the box 'not suitable for microwave cooking'. Well, thinks I, how bad can they taste?

The microwave flashed, then sizzled, then popped.

oops. so that's what the packet meant! I never bought ready-made Yorkshire puds again, seriously, unmicrowavable food?

Gemnyc

reading 24/7
Registered
Reaction score
I few minutes ago, I popped something into the oven. (the real one. The easy-bake) and then I popped the number of minutes I wanted it to cook into the microwave timer and turned it on to 22 minutes. (I always use the microwave as a timer when I cook.)

Then I came in here and put the headphones on and started perusing AW. A few minutes later, I smell a weird smell. I looked over at Roscoe and Dylan (kittie-babies)
I read up to here and then had blind panic that this involved said kittie-babies! Panicked briefly and then quickly skim read. *phew*
Glad you're ok!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I googled something last week. Steamed vegetables. I was trying to see how long it should take to use a microwave to steam cauliflower and broccoli.

One of the entries very clearly said to cover the dish with tin foil and pop it into the microwave for 3-5 minutes. I did a double take, and read it again, and sure enough, it definitely says to use foil in the microwave!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer wood and fire to these wild electronic devices.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I googled something last week. Steamed vegetables. I was trying to see how long it should take to use a microwave to steam cauliflower and broccoli.

One of the entries very clearly said to cover the dish with tin foil and pop it into the microwave for 3-5 minutes. I did a double take, and read it again, and sure enough, it definitely says to use foil in the microwave!
I guess it could be possible if they had one of those convection oven/microwave combos?

You can use a little foil in the microwave, I know. We did it in home ec.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Seriously. Get another timer. As a chronically absent-minded person, I know how dangerous it is to rely on my not being absent-minded. You have set yourself up for trouble every time you're absent-minded, so it's not a question of "if" but "when".

Your cell phone probably has an alarm function.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Seriously. Get another timer. As a chronically absent-minded person, I know how dangerous it is to rely on my not being absent-minded. You have set yourself up for trouble every time you're absent-minded, so it's not a question of "if" but "when".

Your cell phone probably has an alarm function.

Ha! You haven't seen my cell-phone. It is basically a del monte cream corn can with a string on it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some years ago we were at the home of some friends of my parents for dinner. She was accustomed to putting the rolls in a paper bag and nuking them to get them warm. The micro was in use for something else. She blithely put the rolls in the paper bag and put them in the (regular) oven. Several minutes later we all smelled smoke. Luckily the bag was just smoking and hadn't achieved full flames yet.

Small digital timers are inexpensive. I have several and I don't think I paid more than $5 for any of them.

MM

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that is funny.

Sort of different story but reminds me of when I stuck chicken in the microwave to thaw - I didn't turn on the mircrowave, just stuck the chicken in there one night for the next day. Completely forgot about it until I smelled it a few days later. UGH that was nasty. I know use the sink to thaw.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Doyle, if the microwave still smells, soak a paper towel--and I mean
soak it--in vinegar and if you have baking soda, put a little on the soaked paper towel. Zap it for only 15 seconds. Let cool and wipe the entire inside of the microwave down. This might take a few tries to get rid of the odor.

Been there, done something similar. Sorry it happened to you!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Some years ago we were at the home of some friends of my parents for dinner. She was accustomed to putting the rolls in a paper bag and nuking them to get them warm. The micro was in use for something else. She blithely put the rolls in the paper bag and put them in the (regular) oven. Several minutes later we all smelled smoke. Luckily the bag was just smoking and hadn't achieved full flames yet.

Small digital timers are inexpensive. I have several and I don't think I paid more than $5 for any of them.

MM

One of the best ways to get awesome baked potatoes, is to wrap them in wax paper and then bake them. The paper keeps a lot of the moisture in and for some reason it allows them to cook more evenly. (The paper will not catch fire) It's amazing how much better the B P's taste when cooking them this way