Agency Names

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I have a bias in favor of literary agencies named for the agent(s) there. That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider an agency named otherwise, but it seems to me a legit agent with his or her name on the door might be a tad more motivatedd.

Is that reasonable?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's silly, in my opinion.

I just skimmed the Writer Beware thumbs-down agency list, and most of those agencies have a name in the title. So...

Some really great agencies will have the name of an agent in the title. Some really great agencies don't (my top two 'dream' agencies don't, for example).

Good luck with your search.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just exactly whose name goes on the agency in a multiple person agency? Or do we rotate every year? Or we pay for naming rights like they do baseball stadiums.

There are lots of better ways to ascertain motivation than agency name.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I acknowledge it's a quirk, and, as I said in the first post, it's not how I choose an agency.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Thanks for your responses. I acknowledge it's a quirk, and, as I said in the first post, it's not how I choose an agency.

It's not an absurd thought, since Harvard Business School has offered discussions on the subject for a hundred years. Scammers aside, there's a long tradition of pride and commitment behind using your name for your business, one day adding "and Sons".

Hey, where I live, I'll def call an electrician using his name over Acme Electric any day. Just sayin'...

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
It's not an absurd thought, since Harvard Business School has offered discussions on the subject for a hundred years. Scammers aside, there's a long tradition of pride and commitment behind using your name for your business, one day adding "and Sons".

Hey, where I live, I'll def call an electrician using his name over Acme Electric any day. Just sayin'...

Bless you, my child. :)

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, still a newbie. Talking about agencies, does anyone have info or experience with Calliope Content Literary Agency - www.calliopecontent.com. They have a web and it is owned by Sara Wolski. They are also involved as a consultancy agency. I e-mailed them a query on my novel 11/1 with the first 3 pages and they e-mailed me back today asking for a doc file of the first 3 chapters. I've got a few days before I send it to them. And, how do you get in to the literary agency list absolute write has. I was looking at it yesterday and now I can't find. Like I said - I'm a newbie. Thanks

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, still a newbie. Talking about agencies, does anyone have info or experience with Calliope Content Literary Agency - www.calliopecontent.com. They have a web and it is owned by Sara Wolski. They are also involved as a consultancy agency. I e-mailed them a query on my novel 11/1 with the first 3 pages and they e-mailed me back today asking for a doc file of the first 3 chapters. I've got a few days before I send it to them. And, how do you get in to the literary agency list absolute write has. I was looking at it yesterday and now I can't find. Like I said - I'm a newbie. Thanks
Hi Charlys, welcome to the watercooler. This is a question best asked in the Bewares and Background Check forum. I did a quick search in that forum for you and came up with this thread. And I see you've already found that thread. So, good luck :)