HAVE FLU. WILL WRITE FOR GATORADE. (Warning: Wear a mask)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After reading posts from a few other AW'ers that have the flu, but are using the down time to write, I decided it was time for a flu thread that was a little lighter in nature. You can complain here, talk about cool fever induced hallucinations and brag about all the writing you got done while quarantined. Come on in, have some tea or pass someone a bucket. This is the sick thread.

(No conspiracy theories or arguments about vaccines here please. And I would like to pre-emptively say that I understand that some people are far too ill with this to be "light" about it. This is not meant to degrade a serious situation.)

I'll start. I had a fever of 103 last night. I was seeing things and it felt like my joints were disintegrating. But now, my fever is controlled with meds and I'm actually keeping water and Gatorade down. YAY! I also got over 4k written on my WIP since yesterday...and that's with frequent hot baths and naps thrown in (and one last use of the bucket).

Goals for the day:
1.) write another 4K.
2.) Remember not to nap through med time or I'll wake up feeling like a train is parked on my chest.
3.) Advance to solid foods. I'm thinking toast.

Okay, your turn.

P.S. If anyone else hallucinated, I would love to hear about it. Mine was non-sensical but a little creepy too. It involved a pale man in a chair, a dark room and a number sequence that is now engraved in my memory.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Aww- I don't have the flu, but I do hope you're feeling better soon! Remember- no hot baths while you have a fever!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww- I don't have the flu, but I do hope you're feeling better soon! Remember- no hot baths while you have a fever!

I know. I've been taking my Motrin/Tylenol combo, waiting a half hour and then taking a bath to get rid of the aches (and because I've been drenched in sweat). It keeps me mobile so I have a couple hours of feeling human before the symptoms creep back up on me again.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I respectfully request that the mods move this thread immediately...into the Quarantine Forum.

and, hey sickos...get well soon.

rushes out

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Toast....drooool...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...hallucinations?? Is this the H1N1 virus? Glad you're able to be light about it. I do not have the flu and hope that I don't, but I think it was good of you to start this thread. And feel better!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have suspected H1N1, but it could just be a seasonal flu. They're not really testing for it any more, since it won't effect treatment. As for the hallucinations, I do that when I get a high fever. Luckily, I've only had really high fevers a few times. This whole thing has me thinking how lucky we are to live when we do and where we do. I have anti-pyretics and electrolyte filled sports drinks at my disposal. I don't want to think about what this would be like without them.

Update: I have completed 672 words since I started this thread. Go sickly me! YAY!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I respectfully request that the mods move this thread immediately...into the Quarantine Forum.

and, hey sickos...get well soon.

rushes out

I gack in your general direction. Ahem.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter had the swine flu (the docs think), it sucked. She ended up getting a secondary sinus infection right as she was getting over it.

My son and I both have "the crud" right now. Feverish, achy, sore throat, stuffy, cough, and upset stomach. I don't think it's the flu, but I'll just hang out here with the other sicklies anyway.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband just woke up with a headache. He never gets headaches and that was the first symptom I had. I have a feeling he'll be home again by noon.

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't have licked his face last night. *shrugs*

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
They're not really testing for it any more, since it won't effect treatment.

I didn't know that. Then how will everyone know when to freak out over a pandemic if we're not testing and tracking it? :D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband just woke up with a headache. He never gets headaches and that was the first symptom I had. I have a feeling he'll be home again by noon.

Uh oh. My SO has had a head thing for several days and just felt off. But we've been watching his temp, and it's fine.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that. Then how will everyone know when to freak out over a pandemic if we're not testing and tracking it? :D

I'm sure they'll just count everyone as H1N1 positive. It helps fuel the fire. Gotta keep those rating up. :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score

I'm sure you did it on purpose. You know what they say, misery loves company.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh...not that company. My husband is THE WORST sick person ever. He's a nurses nightmare. He whines and groans and acts like he's dying...and that's just with a regular cold. Dear gawd. I may end up needing tranquilizers.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Oh...not that company. My husband is THE WORST sick person ever. He's a nurses nightmare. He whines and groans and acts like he's dying...and that's just with a regular cold. Dear gawd. I may end up needing tranquilizers.
LOL! Of course, you probably don't find it funny, but since I don't have to put up with it, I think it is hilarious!

My family is all the same when we're sick, we might ask you to get something for us, we might complain a little, but we pretty much just want to be left alone, you know, let us die in peace, type of mentality.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
After reading posts from a few other AW'ers that have the flu, but are using the down time to write, I decided it was time for a flu thread that was a little lighter in nature. You can complain here, talk about cool fever induced hallucinations and brag about all the writing you got done while quarantined. Come on in, have some tea or pass someone a bucket. This is the sick thread.

(No conspiracy theories or arguments about vaccines here please. And I would like to pre-emptively say that I understand that some people are far too ill with this to be "light" about it. This is not meant to degrade a serious situation.)

I'll start. I had a fever of 103 last night. I was seeing things and it felt like my joints were disintegrating. But now, my fever is controlled with meds and I'm actually keeping water and Gatorade down. YAY! I also got over 4k written on my WIP since yesterday...and that's with frequent hot baths and naps thrown in (and one last use of the bucket).

Goals for the day:
1.) write another 4K.
2.) Remember not to nap through med time or I'll wake up feeling like a train is parked on my chest.
3.) Advance to solid foods. I'm thinking toast.

Okay, your turn.

P.S. If anyone else hallucinated, I would love to hear about it. Mine was non-sensical but a little creepy too. It involved a pale man in a chair, a dark room and a number sequence that is now engraved in my memory.

I feel your pain. It laid me up 2 weeks ago for an entire week :(

Get well soon!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

Haha. Reminds me of my mom. I remember when I lived at home, we had to walk on eggshells whenver she was sick. She acted like she was dying.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have flu right now, but the last time I did, and my fever hovered somewhere around 104, the ceiling starting to undulate like the sea. That's the only hallucination I can ever recall having.

Around here, they say there is no seasonal flu right now. If you have flu, it's H1N1. And they only test for the virus if you're hospitalized.

Feel better!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I hallucinated when I was a teenager and had a really high fever. I was lying on the couch, looking up at this strange painting of a big building with black birds flying around it. Never like that painting anyway, then, I swear, the building crumbled and the birds started moving, flying out at me. I ducked under my covers and screamed and tried to hit the birds away. My mom came in and couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing. It was weird, complete hallucination with sounds and all.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, mine are complete with sounds too. It's weird. I know it's not real, but it still freaks me out a little. I've had pale guys face and, "9,7,3,3,3,7,3,9," with whispers in the background going around in my head since yesterday. I wish they were better numbers. If they were I'd buy a lottery ticket.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
My daughter had the swine flu (the docs think), it sucked. She ended up getting a secondary sinus infection right as she was getting over it.

My son and I both have "the crud" right now. Feverish, achy, sore throat, stuffy, cough, and upset stomach. I don't think it's the flu, but I'll just hang out here with the other sicklies anyway.

It does suck, I got secondary pneumonia from h1n1 flu last week. It hits hard and longer than seasonal flu and has "sudden" symptoms. Tuesday night last week I started all of a sudden coughing and my hips and back were aching badly then the next day the fever, chills, body aches, delirium and nausea hit hard and fast.

I only vomited twice in the whole entire week though and only because I was coughing so darn hard. The two things that were the worse was the body aches and fever - the rest I can cope but I hope never again (never say never right).

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I got something I hope was swine flu, high temp, aching, sweating, shivering, lethargy, nausea and a truly banging headache. I hope it was swine flu because if it wasn't, I don't want to get swine flu and be that ill again.

I wasn't tested for it, but then again, I didn't see or speak to a doctor, just dosed myself up and went to bed for three days, then another week or so of feeling lousy but mobile enough to be online.