PDA

View Full Version : HAVE FLU. WILL WRITE FOR GATORADE. (Warning: Wear a mask)

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
After reading posts from a few other AW'ers that have the flu, but are using the down time to write, I decided it was time for a flu thread that was a little lighter in nature. You can complain here, talk about cool fever induced hallucinations and brag about all the writing you got done while quarantined. Come on in, have some tea or pass someone a bucket. This is the sick thread.

(No conspiracy theories or arguments about vaccines here please. And I would like to pre-emptively say that I understand that some people are far too ill with this to be "light" about it. This is not meant to degrade a serious situation.)

I'll start. I had a fever of 103 last night. I was seeing things and it felt like my joints were disintegrating. But now, my fever is controlled with meds and I'm actually keeping water and Gatorade down. YAY! I also got over 4k written on my WIP since yesterday...and that's with frequent hot baths and naps thrown in (and one last use of the bucket).

Goals for the day:
1.) write another 4K.
2.) Remember not to nap through med time or I'll wake up feeling like a train is parked on my chest.
3.) Advance to solid foods. I'm thinking toast.

Okay, your turn.

P.S. If anyone else hallucinated, I would love to hear about it. Mine was non-sensical but a little creepy too. It involved a pale man in a chair, a dark room and a number sequence that is now engraved in my memory.

sheadakota
10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Aww- I don't have the flu, but I do hope you're feeling better soon! Remember- no hot baths while you have a fever!

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Aww- I don't have the flu, but I do hope you're feeling better soon! Remember- no hot baths while you have a fever!

I know. I've been taking my Motrin/Tylenol combo, waiting a half hour and then taking a bath to get rid of the aches (and because I've been drenched in sweat). It keeps me mobile so I have a couple hours of feeling human before the symptoms creep back up on me again.

KTC
10-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I respectfully request that the mods move this thread immediately...into the Quarantine Forum.

and, hey sickos...get well soon.

rushes out

Silent Rob
10-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Toast....drooool...

Alpha Echo
10-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Wow...hallucinations?? Is this the H1N1 virus? Glad you're able to be light about it. I do not have the flu and hope that I don't, but I think it was good of you to start this thread. And feel better!

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I have suspected H1N1, but it could just be a seasonal flu. They're not really testing for it any more, since it won't effect treatment. As for the hallucinations, I do that when I get a high fever. Luckily, I've only had really high fevers a few times. This whole thing has me thinking how lucky we are to live when we do and where we do. I have anti-pyretics and electrolyte filled sports drinks at my disposal. I don't want to think about what this would be like without them.

Update: I have completed 672 words since I started this thread. Go sickly me! YAY!

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I respectfully request that the mods move this thread immediately...into the Quarantine Forum.

and, hey sickos...get well soon.

rushes out

I gack in your general direction. Ahem.

cray
10-29-2009, 05:01 PM
*lysols thread*

:gone:

StoryG27
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
My daughter had the swine flu (the docs think), it sucked. She ended up getting a secondary sinus infection right as she was getting over it.

My son and I both have "the crud" right now. Feverish, achy, sore throat, stuffy, cough, and upset stomach. I don't think it's the flu, but I'll just hang out here with the other sicklies anyway.

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
My husband just woke up with a headache. He never gets headaches and that was the first symptom I had. I have a feeling he'll be home again by noon.

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't have licked his face last night. *shrugs*

Alpha Echo
10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
They're not really testing for it any more, since it won't effect treatment.

I didn't know that. Then how will everyone know when to freak out over a pandemic if we're not testing and tracking it? :D

Alpha Echo
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
My husband just woke up with a headache. He never gets headaches and that was the first symptom I had. I have a feeling he'll be home again by noon.

Uh oh. My SO has had a head thing for several days and just felt off. But we've been watching his temp, and it's fine.

stormie
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd give out hugs, but I'm afraid I'll catch your germs. As I write this, I have a disinfectant spray aimed at the monitor. :D

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon!

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I didn't know that. Then how will everyone know when to freak out over a pandemic if we're not testing and tracking it? :D

I'm sure they'll just count everyone as H1N1 positive. It helps fuel the fire. Gotta keep those rating up. :)

StoryG27
10-29-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm sure you did it on purpose. You know what they say, misery loves company.

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh...not that company. My husband is THE WORST sick person ever. He's a nurses nightmare. He whines and groans and acts like he's dying...and that's just with a regular cold. Dear gawd. I may end up needing tranquilizers.

StoryG27
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh...not that company. My husband is THE WORST sick person ever. He's a nurses nightmare. He whines and groans and acts like he's dying...and that's just with a regular cold. Dear gawd. I may end up needing tranquilizers.
LOL! Of course, you probably don't find it funny, but since I don't have to put up with it, I think it is hilarious!

My family is all the same when we're sick, we might ask you to get something for us, we might complain a little, but we pretty much just want to be left alone, you know, let us die in peace, type of mentality.

lucidzfl
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
After reading posts from a few other AW'ers that have the flu, but are using the down time to write, I decided it was time for a flu thread that was a little lighter in nature. You can complain here, talk about cool fever induced hallucinations and brag about all the writing you got done while quarantined. Come on in, have some tea or pass someone a bucket. This is the sick thread.

(No conspiracy theories or arguments about vaccines here please. And I would like to pre-emptively say that I understand that some people are far too ill with this to be "light" about it. This is not meant to degrade a serious situation.)

I'll start. I had a fever of 103 last night. I was seeing things and it felt like my joints were disintegrating. But now, my fever is controlled with meds and I'm actually keeping water and Gatorade down. YAY! I also got over 4k written on my WIP since yesterday...and that's with frequent hot baths and naps thrown in (and one last use of the bucket).

Goals for the day:
1.) write another 4K.
2.) Remember not to nap through med time or I'll wake up feeling like a train is parked on my chest.
3.) Advance to solid foods. I'm thinking toast.

Okay, your turn.

P.S. If anyone else hallucinated, I would love to hear about it. Mine was non-sensical but a little creepy too. It involved a pale man in a chair, a dark room and a number sequence that is now engraved in my memory.

I feel your pain. It laid me up 2 weeks ago for an entire week :(

Get well soon!

Alpha Echo
10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Haha. Reminds me of my mom. I remember when I lived at home, we had to walk on eggshells whenver she was sick. She acted like she was dying.

CaroGirl
10-29-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't have flu right now, but the last time I did, and my fever hovered somewhere around 104, the ceiling starting to undulate like the sea. That's the only hallucination I can ever recall having.

Around here, they say there is no seasonal flu right now. If you have flu, it's H1N1. And they only test for the virus if you're hospitalized.

Feel better!

StoryG27
10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
I hallucinated when I was a teenager and had a really high fever. I was lying on the couch, looking up at this strange painting of a big building with black birds flying around it. Never like that painting anyway, then, I swear, the building crumbled and the birds started moving, flying out at me. I ducked under my covers and screamed and tried to hit the birds away. My mom came in and couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing. It was weird, complete hallucination with sounds and all.

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, mine are complete with sounds too. It's weird. I know it's not real, but it still freaks me out a little. I've had pale guys face and, "9,7,3,3,3,7,3,9," with whispers in the background going around in my head since yesterday. I wish they were better numbers. If they were I'd buy a lottery ticket.

TabithaTodd
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
My daughter had the swine flu (the docs think), it sucked. She ended up getting a secondary sinus infection right as she was getting over it.

My son and I both have "the crud" right now. Feverish, achy, sore throat, stuffy, cough, and upset stomach. I don't think it's the flu, but I'll just hang out here with the other sicklies anyway.

It does suck, I got secondary pneumonia from h1n1 flu last week. It hits hard and longer than seasonal flu and has "sudden" symptoms. Tuesday night last week I started all of a sudden coughing and my hips and back were aching badly then the next day the fever, chills, body aches, delirium and nausea hit hard and fast.

I only vomited twice in the whole entire week though and only because I was coughing so darn hard. The two things that were the worse was the body aches and fever - the rest I can cope but I hope never again (never say never right).

Ellefire
10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Couple of weeks ago I got something I hope was swine flu, high temp, aching, sweating, shivering, lethargy, nausea and a truly banging headache. I hope it was swine flu because if it wasn't, I don't want to get swine flu and be that ill again.

I wasn't tested for it, but then again, I didn't see or speak to a doctor, just dosed myself up and went to bed for three days, then another week or so of feeling lousy but mobile enough to be online.

kayleamay
10-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Oldest child just woke up with a low grade fever and a headache. That's three down, three to go. My house is now officially an infirmary.

AnonymousWriter
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Hope you and the family gets better soon.

And get well soon to all other sick AWers.

I'm going to leave now. :gone:

DeleyanLee
10-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm just getting over some nasty cold/flu thing that kicked in over the weekend. Still dragging a little, but functioning. Actually had to use a PTO day at work to be sick. Totally unfair.

Still, laying there, in and out of dozing must've been really creative for me 'cause I wrote about 1K words last night. Doesn't sound like much, but considering I've been stalled for about 6 weeks, it was a downpour.

Even more, I still have more to write.

Not that I want to get sick constantly, mind you. Never made the connection before.

Mela
10-29-2009, 09:23 PM
I have no flu but hope all the sickos get well soon.
(sprays Lysol over computer and lathers hands with Purell)

Gemnyc
10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Me me! *Waves hand* Im sick too. Third day off work with seasonal flu and this morning at 2am, I woke up with a migraine as well. Just got up from that and am now sitting with a cold compress on my head and a two blankets wrapped around my body.

Hugs to Kayleamay and another other sick AWs :Hug2:
Goals for the day is to redo my query from some recent feedback. Queries distract me from all ills. May do some editing later as well.
Currently watching Murder She Wrote.

StoryG27
10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Oldest child just woke up with a low grade fever and a headache. That's three down, three to go. My house is now officially an infirmary.
We're 50% out of commission. Only 'cuz girl child already had hers and recovered. Boy child and I are pathetic today. Video Games for him AW for me. Hope Hubs doesn't get it. He's the last one standing.

Susie
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Please feel better, dear:heart: kay. You're too nice to be sick. (((((((HUGS)))))).

backslashbaby
10-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Hugs for all the sickies :)

I had it in late spring. I thought the aches and headache were a bit much; they really hurt! And for a week.

I hope all y'all feel better soon!

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 03:18 AM
I finished my 4K and then took a nap. This flu gig isn't so bad...so far. I broke a major sweat a few hours ago, but I didn't have a fever at the time. I hope that's a sign this is just about over.

MattW
10-30-2009, 03:23 AM
I've got something. Lightheaded for a couple days, feverish today, can't sleep enough.

So far, no more severe symptoms. Just have to make it through work tomorrow, then finish some baby prep chores, then I'm off for a week to get sick if need be.

StoryG27
10-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Don't you hate when you're trying to schedule being sick. It just never works out.

Well Kayleamay, I too wrote over 4k today, I think it was a bit over 4,200, and yesterday, I wrote over 5,000 words. So I guess at least I am getting a lot of writing done, but I am not doing ANYTHING else, and eventually, I will pay for my slothfulness. Right now, my fever just came back with a vengeance. I don't like fevers, and vengeful ones are the worst. Think I'm just gonna lie down until I have to go pick up my daughter in an hour.

Kitty Pryde
10-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Meanwhile in LA, no one has the flu. It's 80 degrees and windy as hell and pollen levels are super high--dear trees, please stop having sex! My allergies were horrible and I was feeling really sick at work yesterday, and then trying not to hurl on the commute home.

I got to the train station and I was laid out across three chairs outside by the tracks, which I never do because it's kind of grubby. There were some railfans there taking pictures, and one of them was taking pictures of me lying there longing for death. I don't know why. I would have gotten up and shouted at her but I couldn't bear it.

I successfully did not hurl on the way home. When I got back to my apartment, the kitchen had flooded and we had to dry out the drawers and cabinets and stuff. Bleargh! I'm a bit better today. I hope everyone else has lots of rest and fluids and gets better fast!

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm not doing anything else (except posting here) either. I just don't have the energy. If the house falls down around me, so be it. I think I'm going to have to talk someone into going to the store to buy me a vaporizer though. I can't take a deep breath.

Serenity
10-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Not sick here (and God willing, it will freaking stay that way...) but I am a teacher and in the past 10 days, I've had 8 different students out with the flu or flu-like symptoms, 4 that I've sent to the nurse who have gone home with the flu or flu-like symptoms and at least 2 confirmed cases of H1N1.

The joys of public education...

Oh yeah, by the way? My class size is 24 students.

Satori1977
10-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Hope everyone that is sick feels better soon. Not sure how any of you can write though. Last time I had the flu I could barely move. Definitely didn't get anything productive done.

I have never hallucinated while sick, but I took care of a boyfriend many years ago that did. Not sure what he had, but his fever was 104, and he started talking to an owl outside that wasn't there. It was silly, but kind of scary too.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 06:09 AM
Hope everyone that is sick feels better soon. Not sure how any of you can write though. Last time I had the flu I could barely move. Definitely didn't get anything productive done.

I have never hallucinated while sick, but I took care of a boyfriend many years ago that did. Not sure what he had, but his fever was 104, and he started talking to an owl outside that wasn't there. It was silly, but kind of scary too.

I just walked down to the basement and back up the stairs and I feel like I just ran a marathon. I'm determined to write right on through this though dang it! I'm kind of curious what the end product will look like though.

(And when my fever had just past the 102 mark I thought I saw a squirrel outside holding an umbrella, so I can sympathize with the boyfriend.)

Friend brought over vapo-mist and replenished my eucalyptus bath salt supply. God bless her. I think I'm going to buy her Ryan Reynolds for Christmas.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 06:51 AM
What the heck!? I just set up my nifty new vapo-mist system in the bathroom and gave it some time to get cooking. I went back in and there is nothing but a very mild camphor scent in the room. I read the box. "COOL MIST VAPORIZER"....WTF? I want the HOT mist kind. The kind you keep out of reach of children. The kind that shoots off steam that can melt skin and makes the paint bubble off the walls! Apparently they don't make these anymore. Dammit. If anyone has a vaporizer circa 1970 would they please send it my way?

I'm off to the kitchen. I have a double-boiler and towels. That should do the trick.

Xelebes
10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I just walked down to the basement and back up the stairs and I feel like I just ran a marathon. I'm determined to write right on through this though dang it! I'm kind of curious what the end product will look like though.

(And when my fever had just past the 102 mark I thought I saw a squirrel outside holding an umbrella, so I can sympathize with the boyfriend.)

I hope you're writing down your hallucinations. Plot bunnies abound.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
If I wrote down my hallucinations, the result would be something like John Malkovich meets Hellraiser.

kaitie
10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Oh man, *Hugs* to all the sick people. Well, at the safe distance of six feet, of course. Sort of pantomimed kind of hugs.

A friend of mine was hallucinating when he had it, too, but I don't know what he was hallucinating.

sheadakota
10-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Okay- i just made a big pot of homemade chicken soup for those who can eat- those who can't gatorade in several flavors. Puffs with aloe and lotion- no just sit, or lay, I'll pass everything out- blankets? Pillows? Just raise a wobily hand and I'll get to you- fresh Jammys are in the dryer now.
Who needs medicine?

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Okay- i just made a big pot of homemade chicken soup for those who can eat- those who can't gatorade in several flavors. Puffs with aloe and lotion- no just sit, or lay, I'll pass everything out- blankets? Pillows? Just raise a wobily hand and I'll get to you- fresh Jammys are in the dryer now.
Who needs medicine?

You are a saint. I'll take a lemon-lime gatorade and another pillow please. Head is pounding and food is still not my friend.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can do a mock Halloween for my oldest? My younger three have other plans, but my oldest has Down's and a fever, so I can't take her trick-or-treating and there is no way we're going to get any treaters knocking on our door way back from the road in the woods on a dead end street. She's going to be so disappointed!

sheadakota
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Kayle,Maybe have her dress up, put treats in her bucket and then hide it and have her seek it out? Not quite the same, I know, but at least she has the fun of the costume and treats for when she is feeling better.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey! That might work! I'll call it a Weeny Egg hunt! She'll still be bummed that she missed the social part, but at least she'll still get the goods. (Besides, she's the cheap one to treat. She doesn't like chocolate. I know. Blasphemer.)

StoryG27
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Who needs medicine?
Oh, I want some chicken soup!!!! Food is starting to sound so incredibly good today, even though I still can't take in much. I can feel my stomach digesting itself.

Pillows too please, lots of 'em. I have found out I can't lay down. Last night, silly me, I thought I could sleep. Nope. If I lay flat or even close to it, I can't breathe, and I begin coughing uncontrollably until I either puke or stop breathing or both. I still don't think I have the flu, but this must be one heck of a cold, or at least a respiratory infection.

Kayleamay, I think that sounds like a lot of fun, a Weeny Egg Hunt. Isn't Shaedakota smart!?

I'm really hoping I'm miraculously over this tomorrow. I have people coming over and lots of kids to take trick-or-treating.

Satori1977
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Friend brought over vapo-mist and replenished my eucalyptus bath salt supply. God bless her. I think I'm going to buy her Ryan Reynolds for Christmas.

Sorry, but Ryan Reynolds is mine. He might not know it yet. My husband might not know it yet. But he is MINE I say. :evil

icerose
10-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Throwing myself in here. Woke up with a really bad stomach today, I hope it's just an intestinal bug and not anything more serious than that.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Sorry, but Ryan Reynolds is mine. He might not know it yet. My husband might not know it yet. But he is MINE I say. :evil

I MIGHT consider letting you have him. But if I do, I'm keeping Ryan Gosling all to myself.

http://cinematicpassions.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/ryan-gosling2.jpg

Throwing myself in here. Woke up with a really bad stomach today, I hope it's just an intestinal bug and not anything more serious than that.

Grab a pillow and some watered down gatorade. Feel free to bring your own hawty movie men too. ;)

Stew21
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I have bronchitis. does that count?

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
That depends. Are you just makin' that up to get near my Ryan?

StoryG27
10-30-2009, 09:44 PM
You all can keep all the Ryans in the world.

I should really stop posting. I am not writing today. Nope. I wonder what I have written in the last few days. I'm so delusional right now. I can't even remember how to spell the simplest of words. It took me about twenty minutes to remember how to spell "follow" and I still don't even know if that is right. Yikes, I just can't focus. I honestly feel like I'm tripping or something and I don't know why. I still have three hours until my next dose of meds. Hope I don't post anything too stupid today, and if I do, please, don't hold it against me.

Stew21
10-30-2009, 09:57 PM
That depends. Are you just makin' that up to get near my Ryan?

Not at all.

I have the Z-pack and Prednisone to prove it

Xelebes
10-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Hm, having a gassy stomach right now, making me almost want to throw up.

kayleamay
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Hm, having a gassy stomach right now, making me almost want to throw up.

Lucid has that effect on everyone. Oh wait, wrong thread.

Greetings! Have a nice glass of gatorade and stay away from my Ryan and no one gets hurt! The pillows are soft, the chicken soup is not too salty, and the floors are made of concrete so yack at will.

Dicentra P
10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, mine are complete with sounds too. It's weird. I know it's not real, but it still freaks me out a little. I've had pale guys face and, "9,7,3,3,3,7,3,9," with whispers in the background going around in my head since yesterday. I wish they were better numbers. If they were I'd buy a lottery ticket.

You're missing 2 numbers. Its a northeast NJ phone number.

icerose
10-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Well no luck for me. My lungs and body ache, I'm weak, running a fever, and my stomach is still touchy. The clinic has a notice on their door that they have no tamaflu. Here we go.

mario_c
10-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey you guys. First, kaylemay, thanks for starting the thread! I think I passed out as you were mentioning it in another thread.
Well, it's night 3 of my flu quarantine - It "may be swine flu", the doctor said.* I've basically been a Tamiflu sedated lump the whole time, except for forcing myself downstairs to eat breakfast. And do loads of laundry (have to strip the bed every day) - I am so lucky I have a basement with a washer / dryer. If I had to sit outside a laundromat like this, it would suck a lot.
If I feel energetic, I submit crits for my internship (and a new one that may be in the works :) ) but really, no energy means not having the strength to sit up. At least it should go away over the weekend.

Get well soon, everyone!

*Does the comma go before or after the quotation mark? How the hell would I know? I'm a scriptwriter. :D

kayleamay
10-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey you guys. First, kaylemay, thanks for starting the thread! I think I passed out as you were mentioning it in another thread.
Well, it's night 3 of my flu quarantine - It "may be swine flu", the doctor said.* I've basically been a Tamiflu sedated lump the whole time, except for forcing myself downstairs to eat breakfast. And do loads of laundry (have to strip the bed every day) - I am so lucky I have a basement with a washer / dryer. If I had to sit outside a laundromat like this, it would suck a lot.
If I feel energetic, I submit crits for my internship (and a new one that may be in the works :) ) but really, no energy means not having the strength to sit up. At least it should go away over the weekend.

Get well soon, everyone!

*Does the comma go before or after the quotation mark? How the hell would I know? I'm a scriptwriter. :D

Well, at least the Tamiflu should help you out a little. Around here they are saving it for the "must have" patients, meaning those who are more likely to become gravely ill than I am. My stomach felt better today and I thought my fever had gone away, but it's back and now my sinuses hurt. I have to be better by Monday or write a bestseller because at the rate I'm missing work I'm going to be up to my ears in debt soon. :D

I'm going through laundry like crazy too. I need a laundry elf. Any volunteers?

mario_c
10-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Laundry elf! Nice!

icerose
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I totally lucked out with 24 hour bug. So I'm free and running far away from this thread!

kayleamay
10-31-2009, 06:01 PM
My head...it's full of water. I might jab a nail into my ear just to see what happens.

BigWords
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM
My head...it's full of water. I might jab a nail into my ear just to see what happens.

http://www.crestock.com/images/contest2007/3779-2-crestock%20balloon%20burst.jpg

kayleamay
10-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm at a chapter break and my brain just melted. I can't continue. My mojo has the runs and my hitch keeps coughing. Farknuts. The muse has left the building.