• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Newbie! Looking for a mentor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprincess4ever83

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently I've been struggling with my writing. I feel like something is missing. And when I saw this post I realized what it was. I need a mentor. Someone trustworthy who I can bounce ideas off of. Someone who knows what they're doing!

I have a basic idea for a plot and don't know where to take it. I would love some advice on plotting a novel. I am up for constructive criticism!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(You're going to think I'm stalking you--but really, I'm avoiding work, clicking New Posts over and over.)

A mentor is a wonderful thing to have, but even if nobody volunteers right away, AW's still got what you need.

You can and probably should write up a tidy, short version of your plot idea, then share it at The Sandbox, with whatever doubts or maybe-I-shoulds that you have. People go there to bounce ideas around, brainstorm, see where suggestions may take them. It can be really valuable for the writer who's got a concept, or a well-rounded character or two, but not a story quite yet.

Plotting can be complex, or easy. (For me, its brutally hard.) You open with a hook, immediately setting up a situation in which something needs to happen--usually the main character has a want, need, goal, etc. which is really important to him/her, and something prevents it from being attained, most often an antagonist, who is not necessarily a villain. Your main character (MC) reacts to the changing situation, then acts on his/her own to change it, there's some final obstacle, and s/he either makes it or doesn't.

Yeah, it only sounds easy.

But until that mentor shows up, you might try The Sandbox.

Maryn, wondering where you'll go next

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
Don't limit yourself by asking for a mentor, in my opinion. Like Maryn said, AW is full of people who are willing to answer questions you may have. Unless you need someone to hold your hand the whole way through the production of your manuscript (which doesn't sound like what you're after), just go to the forum folk. :D

Pepper, who is not clever enough to write a closing comment at the end of every one of her posts as Maryn does.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I would also like a mentor. Not for plot or any other thing, my English is a bit prosy and the character, say he is an American also speaks with my voice I want someone to help me, to make the language more American . Pl any Help will be appreciated with thanks.
padma

Status
Not open for further replies.