My Birthday Cake

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
* PHOTOS IN POST 7 *

My birthday is tomorrow, the 29th. I decided if I'm going to have a birthday cake, I'm going to go all out! So I invented my own combination cake.

The bottom layer is going to be a flourless chocolate cake with a creamy ganache.

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
4 oz bittersweet
1/2 c butter
3/4c sugar
3 eggs
1/2c cocoa powder

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and line 8" pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler, remove from heat.
3. Whisk in sugar, add eggs, whisk well.
4. Sift in 1/2c cocoa powder and whisk until just combined.
5. Fill pan.
6. Bake 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes then invert pan.

GANACHE

8 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chopped)
3/4c heavy whipping cream
2T butter

1. Place chocolate in a metal bowl.
2. Heat cream and butter over medium heat. Bring just to a boil.
3. Pour over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes then whisk until smooth.

Along the Ganache I'm going to be decorating it with chocolate curls.

The second layer is going to be a new york style cheese cake.

NEW YORK CHEESE CAKE
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese - room temp
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs - room temp
1/4c flour
1 cup sour cream - room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan. Make crust if desired and press into bottom. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until just blended, don't over beat. Mix by hand from here on out. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in flour, Mix in sour cream, vanilla until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Use a water bath. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.
On top of that I am placing truffles and chocolate curls.

TRUFFLES

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cocoa or powdered sugar

1. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa; stir until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk; increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes or until mixture has pudding-like consistency and is smooth and glossy.

2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Shape into 1-1/4-inch balls; roll in cocoa or powdered sugar. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Store, covered, in refrigerator. About 2-1/2 dozen candies.

Now I'm doing the cheesecake in 8" pans so I can have 2. My kids are allergic to soy, so they'll be getting a cheesecake with truffles on top and Me and my husband will be getting the full package.

What do you think? I'll have pictures tomorrow. :D

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! That cake is off the hook. You'll have to give us a report. Just the bottom layer sounds very rich and delicious. My hat is off to you for combining flourless chocolate cake (looks like a chocolate oblivion!) with cheesecake! :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What time should I arrive? I think a piece of this cake is worth buying you a present.

Maryn, complete with sugar jones

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds amazing! One question: Would the cheese cake be better on the botton level because of weight?

Save me a slice!!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Sarita, I'm not sure. This is my first time doing this. I was doing the flourless on the bottom due to looks, I wanted the chocolate, white, chocolate balls. The picture in my head made it into a fantastic contrast.

The cakes are all baked, they look gorgeous, I'll be doing the basic assembly tonight then final touches tomorrow. I hope to have some glorious pictures to show!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back with pictures!!!

Okay first to answer Sarita's question. The flourless chocolate cake worked perfect as the bottom, for one thing it is even heavier than the cheesecake. A lighter cake probably wouldn't have worked, but we're talking about a brownie/fudge hybrid here.

Here is the first layer, the flourless chocolate cake with the ganache just poured on it.
ganache.jpg

Here are both layers together. They look so happy. :D
two_layer.jpg

And here is the final cake. The truffles were softer than I had hoped for but it tasted like the best cheesecake ever with a flourless chocolate cake as the crust, as it was a crustless cheesecake.
final_cake.jpg

You see why I could never qualify as a professional food decorator person, but man, it sure was tasty!

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, my hips spread a few inches just looking at the pics! YUM.

Happy Birthday, btw.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
so, let me get this straight. Tomorrow, the 29th of Rocktober is your b'day, OR is tomorrow your 29th B'day?

either way, Happy Birthday! I want a chunk of that cake!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, my hips spread a few inches just looking at the pics! YUM.

Happy Birthday, btw.

This cake is actually probably one of the safer ones to have. The reason? It's incredibly rich. You can't eat more than a small slice and it's extremely satisfying, so no gorging. :D

so, let me get this straight. Tomorrow, the 29th of Rocktober is your b'day, OR is tomorrow your 29th B'day?

either way, Happy Birthday! I want a chunk of that cake!

Today the 29th of october is my b-day. It was always a great day to have a birthday growing up because I'd get a birthday with presents and cake and such then two days later I'd get halloween! Because of such I've always had a soft spot for halloween.

Well come and get it, there's plenty!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your birthday is great, icerose! Your cake sounds super duper. Here's another :Cake:! Not flourless, but it's non-caloric and no side effects. :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your birthday is great, icerose! Your cake sounds super duper. Here's another :Cake:! Not flourless, but it's non-caloric and no side effects. :)

It was pretty nice, thank you.

Happy birthday, Icerose! Hope you had plenty to drink with it!

I'm just wondering, though - not a house shape?

We had rootbeer and sprite so we were covered. It was actually super moist.

Haha, no, not a house shape, sadly I wasn't given a house cake mold as a wedding present.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
root beer!

It was pretty nice, thank you.

We had rootbeer and sprite so we were covered. It was actually super moist.

Haha, no, not a house shape, sadly I wasn't given a house cake mold as a wedding present.

Heck, I would have shown up for the root beer alone!