PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Interview Writer Mommies

zanizh
10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd like to interview at least 3 active creative writer mommies, meaning that you have one or more children below the age of five and you still maintain an active writing life. I'm working on a series for my Creative Writing Examiner page and could use some help. Thanks!

icerose
10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
How well sold do you have to be? I don't have any books recently published but I have worked on 16 work for hire projects as a script writer. My youngest is now 4 and I have three kids. I wrote with all of them.

zanizh
10-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Perfect! You don't have to be sold at all, just actively pursuing but I will ask for credentials to list if you have any. If you'll PM me your email address, I'll send you a questionnaire. Thank you!

Any other takers?

Jeanette
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm a mom to a five-year old and I'm a published novelist still actively writing. Ask away....

Misa Buckley
10-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a five year old (and four others...)

zanizh
10-28-2009, 11:08 PM
misaditas, if you'll PM me your email, then I'll include you in the series.

Thanks jeanette and icerose! I got your addresses and will email you the questionnaire soon. I have a couple of other projects to take care of first.

I can do two more if there are any other ones that would like to be interviewed. Of course, I will publish links to your blogs or other work on the articles themselves.

chevbrock
10-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I have three kids - 5, 2 and 6 months. Have just finished first draft of a novel, am about half-way through first draft of another, and querying yet another. Nothin' published, though.

No wonder the house looks like downtown Beirut...

Jersey Chick
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh why not?

If you can use me, I've got two kids - 9 and 4.

I've also got two published novels, one under contract and 4 more in various stages from first draft to draft ready to go out and make the rounds.

Let me know if you can use me, and I'll pm you my email addy. :D

sheadakota
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
my kids are older- 11 and 12, but i actively wrote from the time they were infants- I have one book published and three more under contract.

sknipper
10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
I've got four kids, ages 13, 6, 5 & 5. My youngest daughter is autistic and developmentally delayed so it's always crazy around here!

I have some published short stories, am working on my Master's, almost reading to start shopping my novel, and on Nov. 1 will be starting a six-month stint as an assistant managing editor for Echo Ink Review.

Let me know if I can help.

TabithaTodd
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Writer mommy here of 5 kids 8 and under (8, 7, 6, 4 and 2)

Like sknipper I have 3 special needs as well. My 8 year old is ADHD\SID, my 4 year old is PDD-NOS (atypical autism) and my 2 year old is a cardiac patient (PDA - hole in his heart). I'm active in my writing at night mostly or on weekends where hubby takes the kidlets and occupies them for me for a few hours.

Currently working on 3 WIPS and polishing a finished one.

zanizh
10-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I posted yesterday asking for Jersey Chick and chevbrock to PM me their emails but I don't know what happened to that message. It magically disappeared... *shrug*

I appreciate all the responses but I can only take two more which makes JC and chev the first uppers. Thanks!

I'm trying to get the message across that even if you are a mommy to little ones, it's not an excuse not to write. :)

chevbrock
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Zanizh, I can't work out how to PM you, so I sent you a rep point instead!

zanizh
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Creative! I got it. Thanks! I should have the questionnaire done soon.

zanizh
10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I've just sent the questionnaire. If the first five of you didn't get it, please let me know. I always fear typing an email address wrong. Thank you! I can't wait to see the answers!

Jersey Chick
10-30-2009, 08:42 PM
i got it. :)

pink lily
10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd like to interview at least 3 active creative writer mommies, meaning that you have one or more children below the age of five and you still maintain an active writing life. I'm working on a series for my Creative Writing Examiner page and could use some help. Thanks!
Welp, now that my kids are 12 and 14, I'm no longer a "mommie."

Can someone pick these freeloaders up from school for me now that I don't have to do it any more?

icerose
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Can someone pick these freeloaders up from school for me now that I don't have to do it any more?

It's not that you're no longer a "mommie" it's that you're no longer dealing with the challenge of very young kids constantly needing your attention which seems to be the focus of this article. That is how can mommies with very young children still write?

You just get a whole other set of challenges.

pink lily
10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
It's not that you're no longer a "mommie" it's that you're no longer dealing with the challenge of very young kids constantly needing your attention which seems to be the focus of this article. That is how can mommies with very young children still write?

You just get a whole other set of challenges.
Just saying... If a mom thinks it's vacation time once it's school time, she is going to be really unprepared. Just because the kids aren't underfoot every moment doesn't mean they require any less attention.

icerose
10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Just saying... If a mom thinks it's vacation time once it's school time, she is going to be really unprepared. Just because the kids aren't underfoot every moment doesn't mean they require any less attention.

I'll agree with you there, but it's such a nice break to have the house quiet for a few hours. It does make when they are home that much harder though because it's an adjustment. Like all of summer. I know I was more ready to kick them back to school than they were ready to go back.

zanizh
11-02-2009, 08:33 PM

I guess I should have made that term clearer for those who had never heard it referenced the way I referenced it.

Mommy - A mother to small children.

Mom - A mother to older children and teenagers.

I meant no disrespect, just a variance on the terms. Icerose said it well. As the "Mommy" of a 22 month old and a three year old myself, between my working at home and maintaining my creative writing life, I am constantly up and down like a jack-in-the-box. And this goes on all day. You get kids in school and you get a little peace (assuming you aren't working outside the home during the time they are in school which is another topic entirely).

The reason I'm doing this is because I get so many women telling me, "Well, when my son is out of diapers, I might have time to write." I'm trying to convey that they don't have to wait until their kid is out of diapers.

In any case, I hope I didn't offend anyone. Just trying to turn a positive light onto an issue that seems to run rampant among mothers of small children.

And by the way, I appreciate the two responses (thanks icerose and chevbrock) I've gotten from the questionnaires so far. One more and I can start publishing the articles, pending some technical difficulty from chev's email which I'm sure we can straighten out. :) Did the other three of you get my email?

zanizh
11-22-2009, 03:10 AM
I had a little bit of trouble finding a third responder to my questionnaire but I finally got them all. The first article is up (here it is (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-27844-Huntsville-Creative-Writing-Examiner~y2009m11d21-How-do-you-write-when-youre-a-mommy-Part-1)) and the other two will follow this week.

Thanks to you ladies who participated! Extra rep points!