Is there anyway to matte down a cover?

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
By that I mean is it possible in developing original photos to do it so that they will kill some of the gloss of the laminate on a cover?

Maybe a dull finish on the photo to counteract the shine of the laminate? As is obvious I know nothing about photography but just wondered how to kill the POD published look of a trade paperback.

Thanks

Deleted member 42

By that I mean is it possible in developing original photos to do it so that they will kill some of the gloss of the laminate on a cover?

Yes; you need to deal with someone who's used to printing output on color laser printers using photoshop.

With some POD printers you can pay a bit more for better cover stock and inks (you need to do BOTH) and no laminate.

I used to do this with LS; I've seen the option on other printers' lists.

But you do need a person who is deeply experienced with PhotoShop and high res laser output to make a cover look "right."

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Medievalist. I'll be sure to copy exactly what you said when I pass it on. As far as I know one of my granddaughter's professional photographer friends is going to do it, so I very much appreciate your helping me not look like such a klutz when I try to discuss it! Or are the stock and inks going to have to come from the POD?

If so, do you think I'd be better off going with Createspace than Lulu--since it would seem from the postings on here that the lines of communication are better with Createspace.

This is getting to be a frightening experience for me, especially since I'm coming at it backwards! Marketing isn't as bothersome to me as getting it printed in the first place!

Last edited: