PDA

View Full Version : Best Beer / Worst Beer

Cella
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Please share which is your most favorite and least favorite....

Me?

Guinness / Coors

Priene
10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
St Peter's (http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/) lives somewhere on the farthest banks of Lovely.

Heineken tastes like something ejected from an outlet pipe of an Intercity Express.

shakeysix
10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
XX-- or Dos Equis. Never mind the glitzy commercials. This has been my favorite beer for thirty years. I once threw up a six pack of tepid and possibly skunked Falstaff that had been setting in the back tank of my dorm toilet. the nuns were on a blitzkrieg room search and my roomie and i destroyed the evidence. Might have been the urgency of the moment, but a can of Falstaff could give me a case of the dry heaves even ten years later. Do they still brew that stuff?--s6

Kitty Pryde
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
St Peter's (http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/) lives somewhere on the farthest banks of Lovely.

Mmm, I love St Peter's! Earlier this year their US importer came to our local food-snob shop and did a tasting of all the beers, paired with food. It was awesome.

Favorite: I hate to choose just one. Lost Coast's Great White would probably be number one. Stone's Vanilla Bean Cask-Aged Smoked Porter and Unibroue's Maudite tied for second place.

Worst beer: Bud/Bud Lite/Coors/Miller/Miller Lite. I have a Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale bike jersey, and over one of the shoulders it says "Fizzy yellow beer is for wimps" :D

Priene
10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
St Peter's in the US?

(Heart swells with pride.)

Cella
10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Favorite: I hate to choose just one. Lost Coast's Great White would probably be number one. Stone's Vanilla Bean Cask-Aged Smoked Porter and Unibroue's Maudite tied for second place.

this sounds divine!!!

Kitty Pryde
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
St Peter's in the US?

(Heart swells with pride.)

LOL! I have only seen them in like 2 bars and one shop here. I think California has a good market for tasty expensive beer. Plus St Peter's is starting to sell their new gluten-free beer, which is really delicious. There's only one gluten free beer on the market right now (redbridge) and from all reports it's lousy.

cray
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/11429103_gal.jpg

whoops....wrong pic.
2nd try,....

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/Guinness-1-1.jpg
lock thread.

Tink
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Favorite beer? Let me think...oh, I know...The kind that is available.

And, uhh...well, when I am low on funds I don't have a least favorite type of beer.

:e2drunk:

Freelancer
10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Here in my country, I usually prefer Heineken. When I visit my cousin in the United Kingdom, I prefer Strongbow. But when I lived in Spain I preferred Mahon (That's one of the best there and it's also one of the favorite of the Spanish people.). So my favorite is depending from my geographical location. :) Also I rather prefer Whiskey over Beer. But in the reality I'm rarely drinking.

Medievalist
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I couldn't possibly have just one. I've historically been a fan of the Porter/Stout family--Guinness is never wrong.

But there's a lot of micro breweries around here. Lately, I've been very fond of Kona Longboard Porter--it's seasonal, but it's just been releases; dark beer with coffee and chocolate overtones. I sorta fell in love with this one.

Moosedrool

Descheute's Black Butte Porter (thank you Mr. blacbird!)

And just last night Dundee's Honey Brown -- this one's a session beer, at 4.5 ABV, but it's sorta lovely. I'm working on the review even now.

Boundary Bay's Oatmeal Stout, Scotch Ale, Special IPA

I'm starting to like IPAs, lately; never much did in the past.

I don't know that I have a worst--I tried all the American Macro beers I could find locally, and managed to survive. PBR is fabulous if it's what you've got. I have no problem with Bud on a hot day at a Dodger's game.

I'm going to go with Rainer for worst. I had to have Boundary Bay Scotch Ale as a chaser.

Devil Ledbetter
10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Magic Hat Circus Boy (best).

Michelob Ultra (worst).

Jersey Chick
10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm by no means a seasoned beer drinker but here goes:

My favorite - Smithwicks (I had it in Ireland many, many moons ago and actually liked it. I think it's available here, but I haven't tried it. I don't want to ruin the memory. :))

least favorite - Amstel - it smells like skunk to me. I don't want to drink anything that smells like skunk.

Adam
10-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Best is Fursty Ferret. It's a British beer by a company called Badger Brewery. :)

Not sure about worst. I tend to like most beers.

CACTUSWENDY
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
All of them are worst. I never learned to like beer. They all sucked...IMHO. lol

(I don't like the taste of coffee either....sigh.)

cray
10-27-2009, 10:35 PM
*puts wendy on ignore*

:D

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Simple and affordable, I'd say Dos Equis. If you want to get expensive, I can list a dozen good ones.

Cella
10-27-2009, 10:39 PM
list away, Wayne!

it's favorites, I'm not asking you to fork out any cash! :)

Misa Buckley
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Theakson's Old Peculier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Peculiar#Beers)

Damn, I want some now...

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I follow a certain Aw members blog about beer. Her user name rhymes with Schmidevilist.

Alpha Echo
10-27-2009, 10:50 PM
That's easy. Labat's Blue is the best - never had it till I went to Canada. The problem is it's better in Canada than it is if you buy it imported from the US.

Worst? Not a fan of Heinekin. Or Bud Light.

Shadow_Ferret
10-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Can't possibly narrow it down to one. There are so many great beers out there. And locally we have Sprecher, Lake Front, New Glarus, Tyranena and then there are the brew pubs. Fresh beer is always the best.

As far as worst, any light beer, and the lighter the worser, so that by the time you get to Michelob Ultra, you've hit rock bottom.

Best is Fursty Ferret. It's a British beer by a company called Badger Brewery. :)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/ferret0508.jpg

Alpha Echo
10-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Corona's an excellent breakfast beer.

Miller Lite is my favorite cheap beer.

I like Blue Moon a lot.

Man...I like a lot of beer. I can't narrow it down to just one!

Tink
10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Can't possibly narrow it down to one. There are so many great beers out there. And locally we have Sprecher, Lake Front, New Glarus, Tyranena and then there are the brew pubs. Fresh beer is always the best.

As far as worst, any light beer, and the lighter the worser, so that by the time you get to Michelob Ultra, you've hit rock bottom.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/ferret0508.jpgI sure am glad I didn't list Micalob Ultra as my favorite beer in my previous post. ;)

Medievalist
10-27-2009, 11:22 PM
All of them are worst. I never learned to like beer. They all sucked...IMHO. lol

(I don't like the taste of coffee either....sigh.)

Wendy, if you ever get curious, you might try one of the beers with honey, or fruit.

And have you tried/do you like hard cider?

I like hard cider (apple) fine, but I'm still in mourning for the Pear Cider that the Westwood Brewery near UCLA used to make. It was lovely in every respect. Haven't found one I like nearly as well--though I keep looking.

Shakesbear
10-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Heineken tastes like something ejected from an outlet pipe of an Intercity Express.

So agree with you about St Peter's! Their brewery is a fifteen minute drive from my home - it is a wonderful place!

Least favourite is Fosters - tasteless and gassy!

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Samuel Smith strawberry ale is a good organic brew.

I make my own mead. But arrrrgh the hangover.

Shakesbear
10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Wayne that is impressive! To be able to make your own mead! WOW!

Priene
10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
So agree with you about St Peter's! Their brewery is a fifteen minute drive from my home - it is a wonderful place!

But it's fifteen minutes from me.

You're not my next door neighbour, are you?

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Wayne that is impressive! To be able to make your own mead! WOW!
You'd be amazed how simple it is. Honey, wine yeast and the right equipment. The hard part is the waiting.

Shakesbear
10-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Wayne I guessed that the hard part would be the waiting!

Priene I could be! Just sent you a message!

PeterL
10-28-2009, 12:25 AM
There are many great beers from the micros, so I'm not sure which is best. The worst is easy: Budweiser. Bud Light isn't nearly as bad, because it's so weak as to be tasteless, like slightly sweet water.

I would love to try the original Budweiser from The Czech Republic.

Bushdoctor
10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Stella Artois/Calsberg

Patrick L
10-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Here's one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1115/3267110209_c8054d9357.jpg
And another:

http://blog.beerandcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Ayinger_Oktober_Fest-Marzen.jpg

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I"m going to try making mead and cider, as soon as I have space.

Wayne, have you tried mead made with champagne yeast?

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Isn't mead honey wine, not beer? (Just did a quick Google check and it said something about being brewed in the anus of a dragon.)

KellyAssauer
10-28-2009, 02:13 AM
If I have to drink a beer, and can't get away with just a shandy (preferably the lemonade type) then I'd really like a Belhaven, but it's been awhile since I've had that kind of budget...

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Isn't mead honey wine, not beer? (Just did a quick Google check and it said something about being brewed in the anus of a dragon.)

Yes; mead is fermented honey, and yes, it's wine.

But meaderies and breweries are more similar than not, and most beer drinkers are at least familiar with mead.

I'm noticing more mead, of late, bottled and distributed, and more honey ales/honey beers.

waylander
10-28-2009, 02:24 AM
I have to choose only one?
So be it! Hobgoblin (bottled for choice) http://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers_hobgoblin.htm

Least favourite - the US version of Budweiser (the Czech version is very pleasant)

MattW
10-28-2009, 03:00 AM
tasteless and gassy!You just described half of AW...

:tongue

MattW
10-28-2009, 03:02 AM
There's a pub near my work that serves such a wide variety of uncommon beers, some of them up to 11% alcohol. I love to go there, but every time I'm paralyzed by the choices and end up with the lambic special of the week.

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes; mead is fermented honey, and yes, it's wine.

But meaderies and breweries are more similar than not, and most beer drinkers are at least familiar with mead.

I'm noticing more mead, of late, bottled and distributed, and more honey ales/honey beers.

I've never tried mead because it always seems so pricey. I just wanted to try it to see if I felt like a god.

I have tried honey ales, as long as the honey isn't overpowering, they aren't bad. I like my beer to taste like beer. :)

MattW
10-28-2009, 03:18 AM
I've never tried mead because it always seems so pricey. I just wanted to try it to see if I felt like a god.

I have tried honey ales, as long as the honey isn't overpowering, they aren't bad. I like my beer to taste like beer. :)
I wonder about mead too - I've had Ethiopian honey wine (tej) many times and wonder how it compares.

CDaniel
10-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Coors/ best

Corona/ worst or as I say--mexican goat piss. (no ofense)

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Coors/ best

Corona/ worst or as I say--mexican goat piss. (no ofense)

Is there really that much separation between a Coors and a Corona?

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 03:32 AM

If you ask around, I bet someone you know makes mead.

It's very much like honey wine. If you've had one of the "dessert wines," especially a Moscato, or Muscat, it's awfully similar to Mead, though there's a wide range of meads. The honey, and the yeast used, make a big difference.

And mead is also often made with other flavorings added -- fruit, or herbs.

Don't laugh but I recently reviewed Sutter Home's Moscato wine; it's a Calfornia-made very sweet white wine, and it was very similar to some meads. The names/words muscat, muscatel, moscato (all refer to the same basic grape) have to do with "musk" as in "musk melon"--a flavor also often associated with honey.

I may have to do an etymology blog post about it in fact . . .

CDaniel
10-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Is there really that much separation between a Coors and a Corona?

Uh....

Yeah. ;)

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I wonder about mead too - I've had Ethiopian honey wine (tej) many times and wonder how it compares.

The basic process is the same--but I'm told by people who know, that the honey and the yeast used in the traditional Ethiopian methods make a huge huge difference.

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 03:38 AM
If you ask around, I bet someone you know makes mead.

It's very much like honey wine. If you've had one of the "dessert wines," especially a Moscato, or Muscat, it's awfully similar to Mead, though there's a wide range of meads. The honey, and the yeast used, make a big difference.

And mead is also often made with other flavorings added -- fruit, or herbs.

Don't laugh but I recently reviewed Sutter Home's Moscato wine; it's a Calfornia-made very sweet white wine, and it was very similar to some meads. The names/words muscat, muscatel, moscato (all refer to the same basic grape) have to do with "musk" as in "musk melon"--a flavor also often associated with honey.

I may have to do an etymology blog post about it in fact . . .
I've tried Bare Foot wine's moscato. Not bad, but I do prefer sweet white wines to dry reds. I really enjoy German wines.

clockwork
10-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Peroni's Nastro Azzurro is my current favourite and has held the title for a while now. It's good in bottles but on draft it's divine.

Worst - anything below 5%. ;)

Wayne K
10-28-2009, 03:40 AM
I"m going to try making mead and cider, as soon as I have space.

Wayne, have you tried mead made with champagne yeast?
The wife says it was champagne yeast. I didn't buy the ingredients Come to think of it she did most of the work. I married well :D

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Peroni's Nastro Azzurro is my current favourite and has held the title for a while now. It's good in bottles but on draft it's divine.

Worst - anything below 5%. ;)

There's a pizza place that's about fifteen minutes from us that has fabulous pizza, and a pitcher of Peroni's Nastro Assuro is might fine with it.

I've looked for their basic lager on tap to try--it's been around since the 1800s--but haven't found one.

mscelina
10-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Best--a 300 way tie, but I'll go with Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager. All the Dixie beers have great bottle art, btw.

Worst--I have an unfailing hatred for anything brewed in Mexico, but mostly because I've seen that people in Mexico refuse to drink it. If they won't drink it, I ain't drinking it.

clockwork
10-28-2009, 05:23 AM
There's a pizza place that's about fifteen minutes from us that has fabulous pizza, and a pitcher of Peroni's Nastro Assuro is might fine with it.

I've looked for their basic lager on tap to try--it's been around since the 1800s--but haven't found one.

Same here. Regular old Peroni's much harder to come by for some reason.

MattW
10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Worst--I have an unfailing hatred for anything brewed in Mexico, but mostly because I've seen that people in Mexico refuse to drink it. If they won't drink it, I ain't drinking it.While it's probably a good rule to drink only what the locals drink, I recall too many nights out in Ireland where folks were drinking Budweiser. Still baffles me to this day.

Cella
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
While it's probably a good rule to drink only what the locals drink, I recall too many nights out in Ireland where folks were drinking Budweiser. Still baffles me to this day.

:roll:

that's like going to Italy and ordering Chinese food! sort of....

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I must be a city loyalist, because I still drink Henry Wienhards's even though it's really not a local little beer any more. Private reserve in the winter and Blue Boar in the summer months. I doubt there is a poster here that has a clue what I'm talking about.

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, I've heard the name Henry Wienhards, but can't say if I've ever tried it.

Silent Rob
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Speights Old Dark (from NZ) is my favourite of all time.

I think the worst I've ever had is one called Scorpion Lager (brewed in Hartlepool, probably don't even make it anymore). They gave it out free once after a run I did, along with tripe and pickled onions - none of which went down very well.

DeleyanLee
10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I prefer Killian's Red, but Yingling Lager (America's oldest brewery, right here in PA) is good too.

Worst? Samuel Adams. The only beer I've ever, literally, spit out upon tasting because it was so vile. Very embarrassing since it happened at a party.

Kitty Pryde
10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I must be a city loyalist, because I still drink Henry Wienhards's even though it's really not a local little beer any more. Private reserve in the winter and Blue Boar in the summer months. I doubt there is a poster here that has a clue what I'm talking about.

I've been to the Henry's brewery (err, "brewery", but actually just a tavern) in Portland twice. Looooove their gorgonzola french fries! I've had the Private Reserve before too :D

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Worst? Samuel Adams. The only beer I've ever, literally, spit out upon tasting because it was so vile. Very embarrassing since it happened at a party.

The weird thing about Sam Adams is they don't really have their own brewery except a teeny tiny one for R&D. They contract their beer out, so I wouldn't' be surprised if the quality varies in different parts of the country.

The Sam Adams I've had isn't bad, usually much better than your standard American-style lager, and I know some people who love it.

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I've been to the Henry's brewery (err, "brewery", but actually just a tavern) in Portland twice. Looooove their gorgonzola french fries! I've had the Private Reserve before too :D

I eat there regularly. Fantastic food, and the ice bar is purty nifty too. (There used to be a real brewery there, but that changed, probably when you were still kicking a ball around on a playground. ;) )

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/henry-weinhards-private-res.gif

Silent Rob
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't know why, but the name weinhard is making me laugh. And don't you call me a blowhard, kayleamay.

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 08:03 PM
How 'bout I just call you nerd then? :D

Silent Rob
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
'K. *cracks open a cold one*

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
See? Henry's makes even noisy muppets tolerable.

Silent Rob
10-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Hic.

S.J.
10-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Yesssssss. Fursty Ferret is gorgeous.

I like Sneck Lifter, too. Yummy.

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Lucky Lager? I don't think they make it anymore, but it used to come in little pony bottles and there were riddles on the undersides of the caps. You could tell how drunk you were by how long it took you to decipher the riddle. Ahh...good times...good times.

lucidzfl
10-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm a Wine or Vodka kinda bloke.

Medievalist
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Sure I do! I've even had their Hefe on tap.

darkprincealain
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm drawing on my own taste buds, but I'll throw my own answer into the pile. :D Good idea for a thread!

Ephemere (they should subtitle it, "Is Heaven") / PBR (Eww!)

waylander
10-29-2009, 04:11 AM
While it's probably a good rule to drink only what the locals drink, I recall too many nights out in Ireland where folks were drinking Budweiser. Still baffles me to this day.

If you don't like Guinness then your choice is severely limited in many bars in Ireland - Harp (lager) or Budweiser or Smithwicks.

waylander
10-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Yesssssss. Fursty Ferret is gorgeous.

I like Sneck Lifter, too. Yummy.

Seconded! Being down south I've only had Snecklifter in bottles but it is good stuff.
Bottled Adnam's Broadside is good too.

MattW
10-29-2009, 05:00 AM
If you don't like Guinness then your choice is severely limited in many bars in Ireland - Harp (lager) or Budweiser or Smithwicks.
There's plenty of cider as well. And I like me some Smiddicks.

If it wasn't the Bud, it was alcopops, which appeal to my sweet tooth and have their place, but the beer snob in me is required to make fun of.

waylander
10-31-2009, 01:07 AM
I have a bottle of Snecklifter before me

Rose English
10-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Funny thread.

I'll go with Red Stripe. Worst would be Kestrel but I don't think they make it anymore.

Cella
10-31-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm just excited that a thread I started has kept up for so long!!! :D

Melisande
10-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Best; Rostocker
Worst; Bush's Light

mario_c
10-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Same here. Regular old Peroni's much harder to come by for some reason.On tap or bottled? I get Peroni's at a bar I frequent on a regular basis.

Death Wizard
10-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Okay, sneer all you like ... but I love American light beers: Mich Ultra, Coors Light, Bud Light. Can drink them all night.

Of course, I love pretty much every other form of alcohol as well. :)

Medievalist
10-31-2009, 07:29 AM
On tap or bottled? I get Peroni's at a bar I frequent on a regular basis.

I can get it in a bottle, at the pizza place.

But. The Azzaro comes in pints. Also pitchers.

milly
05-02-2010, 06:46 PM
ooohh...how did I not see this thread for so long...I guess because it was WAY before I was around...but, because of my love for the hoppy stuff, I had to share my answer and see if this bad boy can't be revived

best: Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale

worst: Bud Light Lime

:)

semilargeintestine
05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Chimay Blue Label is my favourite. It tastes like what the colour purple would taste like if it had a taste.

Coors/Bud/Keystone/etc. are all equally my least favourite. They are just terrible.

milly
05-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Chimay Blue Label is my favourite. It tastes like what the colour purple would taste like if it had a taste.

Coors/Bud/Keystone/etc. are all equally my least favourite. They are just terrible.

mmm...tastes like the color purple...so, it's right that I should totally be thinking of Alice Walker right now...right?

never really done that before when drinking

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, sneer all you like ... but I love American light beers: Mich Ultra, Coors Light, Bud Light. Can drink them all night.

I like water, too, but once in a while you need flavor. ;)

semilargeintestine
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Come drink with me, and you'll think about a lot of weird stuff.

Medievalist
05-02-2010, 07:48 PM
LOL! I have only seen them in like 2 bars and one shop here. I think California has a good market for tasty expensive beer. Plus St Peter's is starting to sell their new gluten-free beer, which is really delicious. There's only one gluten free beer on the market right now (redbridge) and from all reports it's lousy.

Go to Father's Office in Santa Monica (on Montana and c. tenth) or in Culver City (near the old Helms Bakery) and you can get it on tap . . .

Medievalist
05-02-2010, 07:54 PM

I do! It's now readily available in those 12 pack boxes at a decent price.

Just tried Blue Boar yesterday--good light summer ale.

Weinhard's on tap is mighty fine too. I think all their beers are really session beers/under 5% ABV

Alwoody
05-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll have to agree with Bud Light Lime being the. worst. beer. ever.

My favorite is by a Michigan brewery. It's Bell's Oberon. I love that stuff.

Haggis
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I'll have to agree with Bud Light Lime being the. worst. beer. ever.

My favorite is by a Michigan brewery. It's Bell's Oberon. I love that stuff.

Oberon is a big seller in Michigan. I can't stand it. Still, the worst beer I ever had is Pacifico, a Mexican beer. It tastes much like watered down Bud Lite, if you can imagine that. There are too many good beers to name, but I'll list a few: Bass Ale, Tenent's, the occasional Belgian (Stella's not bad), and most brewpub's stouts and porters. No IPAs, please.

Medievalist
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Just tried New Belgium's Abbey Ale in bottle; lovely.

It's my first of this style--there will be more!

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/abbey

semilargeintestine
05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Belgian beer is great. It's almost all I drink alcohol-wise.

Pip
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
My taste in beer seems to change regularly.
Awhile ago I’d of been enjoying the more bitter beers, but some friends got me drinking Sol and Corona and now they’ve become something of an obsession.

I did have some Shepherd Neame’s 1698 bottle conditioned ale the other day.
http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/beers/index.php?bottle_1698
It had a striking dark amber colour, went down smoothly, but it didn’t half make me feel tired.
Consider it recommended.

Haggis
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Just tried New Belgium's Abbey Ale in bottle; lovely.

It's my first of this style--there will be more!

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/abbey

I thought of you when I had this one (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/michigan-brewing-russian-imperial-stout/20722/)a week or so ago--Russian Imperial Stout from the Michigan Brewing Company. I normally do not like beers with high alcohol volume, but this one blew me away. I regret there's no real review of it, but the comments are interesting.

milly
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Come drink with me, and you'll think about a lot of weird stuff.

it's bad enough when I don't drink...then, with beer, it only gets weirder...or at least, I think it does...what I can remember of it, what I'm thinking I mean

*tips back beer*

megoblocks
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
best: home brewed.
worst: commerical crap on the shelves.

milly
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Awhile ago I’d of been enjoying the more bitter beers, but some friends got me drinking Sol and Corona and now they’ve become something of an obsession.

It had a striking dark amber colour, went down smoothly, but it didn’t half make me feel tired.
Consider it recommended.

I like Sol better than Corona, especially if going to the beach...hard to beat for the hot sun and sand :)

I think a dark belgian might make you sick in that scenario...or give you a serious headache

FreeWhistler
05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Though I've tried better beers, a pint of Smithwicks never fails to please. I prefer lukewarm water to Bud, Coors, PBR, Miller, or Keystone. Actually, I drink water before most anything. I can't drink an ounce of anything alcoholic these days without immediately getting sick. Sometimes just the smell of alcohol is enough to set my stomach churning. Funny thing is, I was never that much of a drinker.

Pip
05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I like Sol better than Corona
I prefer Sol as well, and both are better with a slice of lime...can I say that without losing any of my masculinity?

milly
05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
no no...you can keep your man card...I don't see how you CAN drink Sol or Corona without lime...at least you are not in the Bud Light Lime camp...that shit is just nasty :)

megoblocks
05-02-2010, 11:05 PM
omg you said man card! sexist!

milly
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
are you pointing a finger at me right now?

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2010, 12:29 AM
best: home brewed.
worst: commerical crap on the shelves.

So you don't like ANY beer at all except what you make? Is that how I'm reading that? You don't like imports, or microbrews, or craft brews, or anything?

Because there are a lot of great beers on the shelves.

wrangler
05-03-2010, 12:34 AM
ooh, beer.

well, i'm a sucka for a strong dark ale. can't stand -or stomach much else.

Cella
05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
ooohh...how did I not see this thread for so long...I guess because it was WAY before I was around...but, because of my love for the hoppy stuff, I had to share my answer and see if this bad boy can't be revived

best: Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale

worst: Bud Light Lime

I knew it was only a matter of time before Milly found this thread ;)

That Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale sounds good :)

Oberon is a big seller in Michigan. I can't stand it. Still, the worst beer I ever had is Pacifico, a Mexican beer. It tastes much like watered down Bud Lite,
*puke*

Ewwww! I puked!

(Stella's not bad) Stella rhymes with Cella...I like it! *thumbs up*

Consider it recommended.
Welcome to the Cooler :hi: (and specifically this beer thread:))

kayleamay
05-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Just tried Blue Boar yesterday--good light summer ale.

We're having a wiener roast with the kiddies, neighbors and in-laws this evening. We have a big fire pit and the kids want to show off the tee pees they made. I have a case of Blue Boar on hand. And for the kids: Henry's Root Beer. They love that stuff. I might sneak one too.

wrangler
05-03-2010, 01:00 AM
oh, i forgot the worst beer.

for me that would have to be heineken and any of the millions of buds.

Cella
05-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't mind Heineken on occasion. My father in law gets it in one of those little cute keg things around the holidays and I think that has more to do with why I like it sometimes. But only if I get to pour it.

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2010, 01:12 AM
oh, i forgot the worst beer.

for me that would have to be heineken and any of the millions of buds.

I don't mind Heineken. As a pils, it isn't bad. It's on a par with many of the others, like Moosehead, Becks, St. Paulie Girl, Grolsch, and so on. It's far superior to any premium American-slyle lagers and those Mexican things like Corona.

And by Bud, I assume you mean Anheiser-Busch, not the real Budweiser in the Czech Republic.

Cella
05-03-2010, 01:15 AM
While Bud isn't my favorite beer, I live about fifteen mins from the brewery and I do enjoy taking the tour. It's free and there's a gift shop! :snoopy:

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2010, 01:23 AM
I've lived in Milwaukee all my life and have yet to take a tour of the Miller brewery. :D

I have taken tours of several other breweries though.

wrangler
05-03-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't mind Heineken. As a pils, it isn't bad. It's on a par with many of the others, like Moosehead, Becks, St. Paulie Girl, Grolsch, and so on. It's far superior to any premium American-slyle lagers and those Mexican things like Corona.

And by Bud, I assume you mean Anheiser-Busch, not the real Budweiser in the Czech Republic. yes, anheier-busch.

wrangler
05-03-2010, 01:54 AM
wrangler has a thang for breweries.

milly
05-03-2010, 02:04 AM
well...if you like breweries, the Abita brewery just before you get into New Orleans...in Abita Springs, is fantastic...the Abita Jockamo is good and the Andygator...wow...all brewed right there...really nice and unique beers they are :)

rhymegirl
05-03-2010, 02:06 AM
beer is yucky.

milly
05-03-2010, 02:08 AM
beer is yucky.

*plugs ears with fingertips*

blasphemy I tell ya

wrangler
05-03-2010, 02:11 AM

blasphemy I tell ya

i second this.

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2010, 02:13 AM
beer is yucky.

Thanks for playing. We have some lovely departing gifts for you.

Pip
05-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the Cooler :hi: (and specifically this beer thread:))
Glad to be here :D

beer is yucky.
:Wha:

blasphemy I tell ya

QFT

milly
05-03-2010, 02:17 AM

yes...a 32 oz mug with the logo "drink it up" engraved in the side...works well as a pencil or paperclip holder if you choose not to use it to hold the liquid gold that makes us sooooo happy and...well...yeah...happy ;)

wrangler
05-03-2010, 02:27 AM
well...if you like breweries, the Abita brewery just before you get into New Orleans...in Abita Springs, is fantastic...the Abita Jockamo is good and the Andygator...wow...all brewed right there...really nice and unique beers they are :) thanks, i'll be sure to keep those in mind should I ever visit New Orleans.

milly
05-03-2010, 02:29 AM
yep...and even if you can't hit the brewery, every bar in New Orleans carries the Abita stuff on tap...their basic pale ale is great too...many stores in the southeast carry these selections in the bottle too :)

kayleamay
05-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Does anyone else remember Lucky Lager? Worst beer ever, but there were riddles inside the caps. The more beer you drank, the harder the riddles seemed.

milly
05-03-2010, 03:05 AM
there is another one called "Lonestar" with riddles inside the caps that is out there now...actually, this beer is not that bad...not GREAT but...not bad...and...sadly, I like the riddles inside :)

Haggis
05-03-2010, 04:50 AM
beer is yucky.

blasphemy I tell ya

i second this.

*puts rhymegirl on ignore*

rhymegirl
05-03-2010, 05:02 AM
*puts rhymegirl on ignore*

Bite me, doggy.

wrangler
05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Since a visit to a brewery was not possible, I settled for an ice cold New England Brown Ale -two.

milly
05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Bite me, doggy.

hehe

*watches intently for the attack, chugging beer in anticipation*

my money's on RG

milly
05-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Since a visit to a brewery was not possible, I settled for an ice cold New England Brown Ale -two.

brown ales are the best...really...even Sierra Nevada's brown is good...hmm...wish I had one right now

rhymegirl
05-03-2010, 05:09 AM
hehe

*watches intently for the attack, chugging beer in anticipation*

my money's on RG

Wouldn't that be cool, a match between haggis and me?

In this corner, in the black trunks, Haggis, the Horrible. :)

In the other corner, in the white trunks, Rhyme, the Rebellious.

milly
05-03-2010, 05:12 AM
oooohhh...I can already hear the AWers lining up for this one

*pondering the profitability of this proposition*

yes...I'll get the tickets printed up tonight :)

Medievalist
05-03-2010, 05:13 AM
yep...and even if you can't hit the brewery, every bar in New Orleans carries the Abita stuff on tap...their basic pale ale is great too...many stores in the southeast carry these selections in the bottle too :)

I'm a fan of Abita Amber, and there's a local Cajun restaurant here that carries Turbo Dog.

Haggis
05-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Bite me, doggy.

I can't hear you.

Wouldn't that be cool, a match between haggis and me?

In this corner, in the black trunks, Haggis, the Horrible. :)

In the other corner, in the white trunks, Rhyme, the Rebellious.
"Haggis the Horrible." I like that. :D

milly
05-03-2010, 05:15 AM
I'm a fan of Abita Amber, and there's a local Cajun restaurant here that carries Turbo Dog.

yep...that's a good one too...Abita is great...and...I find that since I like Abita beers, I also like Red Hook beers as well...not sure where all those are sold but it's pretty common in the southeast too

rhymegirl
05-03-2010, 05:29 AM
"Haggis the Horrible." I like that. :D

Well, that's no good if you like it. We're supposed to be opponents.

Selanfene
05-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Has anyone had New Glarus beer? It's from a brewery in a tiny town in Wisconsin... I live sort of near by, and I have incredible local loyalty for it. It's my favourite beer.

Worst=Busch Light.

Also (slightly unrelated), most of my dad's side of the family brews or used to brew their own beer. Some of them are damn good at it.

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2010, 06:38 AM
I remember when I was a teen, there was this beer called Rheinlander. Two bucks a case (which in today's dollars, would be like getting a case for $4). THAT was pretty awful swill.

Medievalist
05-03-2010, 06:49 AM
yep...that's a good one too...Abita is great...and...I find that since I like Abita beers, I also like Red Hook beers as well...not sure where all those are sold but it's pretty common in the southeast too

I can pretty reliably find Red Hook ESB, and like it quite a bit.

Haggis
05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I remember when I was a teen, there was this beer called Rheinlander. Two bucks a case (which in today's dollars, would be like getting a case for $4). THAT was pretty awful swill.

I remember that, Ferret. Vile stuff.

milly
05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
oh oh...another good one is Old Milwaukee...naw...just had to put it out there though...the end of the day sends my mind in this direction, just not for this crap...wish I had a draft Magic Hat #9 right about now...lovely apricot beer

*sigh*

threedogpeople
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Almost worst: Bud

Absolute worst: Bud lite in a can

Best: Sleeman's Cypress Honey Lager

Best if it's 95 in the shade: Corona, with lime & salt

Best if you've been sea sick on a boat for 8 hours:

Corona, with a lime (no salt).

Medievalist
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
oh oh...another good one is Old Milwaukee...naw...just had to put it out there though...the end of the day sends my mind in this direction, just not for this crap...wish I had a draft Magic Hat #9 right about now...lovely apricot beer

*sigh*

You might to try Pryamid's Audacious Apricot (http://beerreport.com/news/pyramid-audacious-apricot); it's about time to see it on the shelves.

Xelebes
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Best: Um... haven't drank much to offer an opinion. So far it's Rickards Red.

Worst: Budweiser. I'm too chicken to drink watered down pisswater that is known as Bud Lite, nor am I going to thrust myself to the offensive vagaries of beer-making known as TNT.

darkprincealain
05-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I like homebrewed, but it is so much work.

I wonder if I'll grab some beer at the store for this weekend... we'll see what I feel like when I get home.

MattW
05-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone try Tactical Nuclear Penguin (38% ABV) or Sink the Bismarck (41%) from Brew Dog?

I'm tempted to order the pair shipped from the UK for a special occasion.

althrasher
05-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Abita Strawberry is the best beer in the universe. (It's almost out of season! Only a few bars have any left! NOOO!)

Otherwise I like all the Abitas, Smithwicks, Newcastle, and Guinness.

For some reason, I completely despise Blue Moon. But I've only had it once, so it's possible my opinion has changed.

milly
05-07-2010, 11:27 PM
BLUE MOON IS NASTY

(there, I concur)

tjwriter
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Blue Moon wasn't for me, but I did like Purple Haze.

I'm a fan of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale and some other stuff my parents have picked up that I don't remember the names of.

I'm not much of a beer drinker though. I usually go for wine, but I hardly drink anymore and not right now.

Medievalist
05-08-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Abita Strawberry is the best beer in the universe. (It's almost out of season! Only a few bars have any left! NOOO!)

I've read about it, and it's on my list to try when I get back to New Orleans. None of the bars here carry it.

For some reason, I completely despise Blue Moon. But I've only had it once, so it's possible my opinion has changed.

I've never tried it, though I was surprised to see guys buying it by 24/36 can cases. I was under the impression it was a girl beer.

som1luvsmi
05-08-2010, 01:05 AM
You know, I've never liked beer, but after reading through this thread, I'm beginning to think that I just haven't tried the right kind.

I saw that Medi mentioned trying fruit of honey beers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for those kinds?

Paul
05-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Best: Free Beer
Worst: All Others

MattW
05-08-2010, 01:54 AM
You know, I've never liked beer, but after reading through this thread, I'm beginning to think that I just haven't tried the right kind.

I've had a number of fruit beers, usually craft/micro, but my favorites are still Belgian lambics - more widely available in the last 5-10 years, handful of flavors to pick from.

milly
05-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Best: Free Beer
Worst: All Others

okay...so I have to agree with this too

milly
05-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Blue Moon wasn't for me, but I did like Purple Haze.

I'm a fan of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale and some other stuff my parents have picked up that I don't remember the names of.

I'm not much of a beer drinker though. I usually go for wine, but I hardly drink anymore and not right now.

I really like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat but, it's about the only wheat ale I'll touch :)

but, if I am gonna go for something a little bit sweet, I'm going for apricot beer or a nice cider like one of the Woodchuck ones or Strongbow

MattW
05-08-2010, 06:54 AM
I really like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat but, it's about the only wheat ale I'll touch :)

but, if I am gonna go for something a little bit sweet, I'm going for apricot beer or a nice cider like one of the Woodchuck ones or Strongbow
Love cider - there was a summer in college where I only drank cider (usually with a nice fried meal).

Hornsby's was what was commonly available (and Cider Jack), but Strongbow became my favorite to search for after I first had it in Toronto.

My hometown Irish pub served a draft cider I never bothered to ask the name of...made me lay down in the street once though.

milly
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
My hometown Irish pub served a draft cider I never bothered to ask the name of...made me lay down in the street once though.

that's the problem with ciders...when they HIT you...they HIT you and you don't see it coming because they go down so easy

I like pretty much any cider, including Hornbys since yes, it is a standard that most places carry so it's easy to find...but like you, Strongbow when I can get it

milly
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I've read about it, and it's on my list to try when I get back to New Orleans.

okay...I found the Abita Strawberry, bottled...and OMG it is sooo good. Thanks for the recommendation althrasher...definitely worth the expense

seun
05-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I could drink Miller on tap until it comes out of my ears. Just a shame it's so rare in pubs.

As for worst, Stella. "Reassuringly expensive?" Right. That's why it's the drink of pikeys and wife beaters.

MattW
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
As for worst, Stella. "Reassuringly expensive?" Right. That's why it's the drink of pikeys and wife beaters.That's what we think of Miller!

But I also despise Stella. And Heineken. And Corona. And Fosters. And Bud.

Pretty much anything where the advertising budget is more than they spend on the beer.

Medievalist
05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Aside from the fact that it's just better, one of the things I like about the micros/craft brews is that they're local, not an international conglomerate.

MattW
05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Aside from the fact that it's just better, one of the things I like about the micros/craft brews is that they're local, not an international conglomerate.
I'm imagining the InBev production lines look like Duff brewery from the Simpsons. A dozen different labels going on the same bottles of beer...

Medievalist
05-11-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm imagining the InBev production lines look like Duff brewery from the Simpsons. A dozen different labels going on the same bottles of beer...

I came to American beer late in life, and was horrified to learn just how few breweries were really making "American" beer, wrt to Macro brews.

That said--I've tried my first New Belgium Abbey Ale, and really really like it. I haven't put my review up yet, but this is my first U.S. "Trappist" style dubbel, and I'm quite enthusiastic. It's 7% ABV, very dark, and redolent with caramel and malt and chocolate.

Kona Pipeline porter may have just lots its top place in my beer affections.

Kitty Pryde
05-11-2010, 03:33 AM
I came to American beer late in life, and was horrified to learn just how few breweries were really making "American" beer, wrt to Macro brews.

That said--I've tried my first New Belgium Abbey Ale, and really really like it. I haven't put my review up yet, but this is my first U.S. "Trappist" style dubbel, and I'm quite enthusiastic. It's 7% ABV, very dark, and redolent with caramel and malt and chocolate.

Kona Pipeline porter may have just lots it's top place in my beer affections.

Oh, the New Belgium beers that aren't Fat Tire are sooo delicious. The Trippel and the 1554 are awesome (TRY THEM if you have not), and I love the seasonal beers. I tell you, when I drink the fall, winter, or spring beers at the pub in their appropriate seasons, I can pretend I'm not in LA sweating in the year round heat, but in another magical sort of place that has actual seasons :D For more Belgian-style tasty times, have you had all the Unibroue beers? OM NOM NOM NOM. Trader Joes just started selling a Unibroue sampler pack (relatively) cheap.

However, I do not love them as much as I love Rogue, Stone, and Lost Coast brews (west coast pride!).

ETA Oh my gosh I really want a beer now.

Medievalist
05-11-2010, 04:36 AM
ETA Oh my gosh I really want a beer now.

I gotta say, I really miss Father's Office in Santa Monica, and Culver City.

Shadow_Ferret
05-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Has anyone had New Glarus beer? It's from a brewery in a tiny town in Wisconsin... I live sort of near by, and I have incredible local loyalty for it. It's my favourite beer.

I've been to their brewery. They have some decent stuff. I mentioned them back on Page 1. I think my favorite is Hearty Hop IPA. I love bitter hoppy beers. My wife loves their Wisconsin Belgian Red. I can't stand fruit beers.

darkprincealain
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Beer is kind of an acquired taste. Raspberry and peach lambics might be a good place to start. ;)

milly
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh, Trader Joes just started selling a Unibroue sampler pack (relatively) cheap.

Magic Hat is doing a sampler pack too now...I about DIED when I saw it on the shelf...it has the Magic Hat #9, the Wacko, an IPA and a Summer Ale....mmmmmmm....too bad I'm at work now and that it's 7:30am...geez

williemeikle
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Best - Harvieston Bitter and Twisted. A Scottish ale that has won many awards worldwide

Worst - any over-gassy mix of chemicals and piss that's served up pretending to be beer/lager. Budweiser comes to mind.

donroc
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
In the old days, Lucky Lager and Brew 102 =ed Panther Piss as we used to say. Slavia in France was no delight either.

Best, all beer I drank in Germany and in Brazil.

My favorite in the USA was Red Eric by Ceres Brewery.

Nowadays, I pefer Dos Equis.

milly
05-13-2010, 05:40 AM
just tried a Magner's Irish Cider tonight, draft...very nice...I think I might get back into a cider kick again...mmmmmm

Medievalist
05-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I adore Pear cider/Perry, but not the stuff that's apple cider with added pear juice.

The best I've ever had was from the Westwood Brewery, near UCLA. Last I knew, they'd stopped making it. There's Ace Cider and Wyder's but neither is really anything like the Westwood Brewery version.

milly
05-13-2010, 06:29 AM
oh my...the only pear cider I've had is Woodchucks...I like it but...not sure how "authentic" it is...sounds yummy

*jealous*

Kitty Pryde
05-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Samuel Smith's makes a really nice organic cider and organic pear cider. yummy, crisp and refreshing!

milly
05-13-2010, 06:42 AM
I didn't know that...I enjoy Samuel Smith's nut brown ale and the taddy porter but...mmmm, cider...I'll have to look for it

TerzaRima
05-13-2010, 06:52 AM
We recently got back from Utah, where Mr Rima tried and liked a few of the local beers--one was called Squatters Rising and the other one was, cheekily, Polygamy Porter. He really dug the Porter but said he kind of felt like a tool ordering it.

milly
05-15-2010, 10:07 PM
the best beer is the beer that I have in my fridge...the worst is the beer I have to make a trip to the store to buy

enough said :)

Medievalist
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I bought a "Folly" pack of New Belgium; 12 bottles, four beers.

Liked Fat Tire, still want to try it on tap, gave my fellow imbiber the Ranger, since said imbiber is a Hop addict, and fell madly in love with New Belgium's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale (http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/1554). It's even more chocolate-malt-beer than Young's Chocolate Stout.

I haven't written it up yet, but I'm really liking it, lots.

Kitty Pryde
05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
If you dig the chocolatey beers, if you ever find yourself very far south, San Diego Brewing Company has this ridiculous amazing beer called Love Potion #9. It has a high ABV, and strong chocolate and raspberry flavors. I had one of those small goblets (not a whole pint of it), and I think I saw the chocolate-raspberry fairy flitting around the brewpub (she is way awesomer than the green fairy). It was outlandishly delicious and delirious.

Shadow_Ferret
05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
It's American Craft Beer Week (http://www.americancraftbeerweek.org/)! Go out and celebrate with a fresh beer brewed at your local brewpub!

cscarlet
05-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Depends on what time of year it is!!! :) But for all around I'd have to say:

Best = Blue Moon
Worst = Beast

milly
06-05-2010, 05:13 PM
about to make a trip to the Red Hook Brewery in a couple of weeks...makes me think of how much I enjoy several of their beers :)

tried a Bud Light Wheat...don't ask me why and it was terrible

Medievalist
06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
about to make a trip to the Red Hook Brewery in a couple of weeks...makes me think of how much I enjoy several of their beers :)

tried a Bud Light Wheat...don't ask me why and it was terrible

I love Red Hook ESB. I know others who do as well. And I've had it on tap!

milly
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I've had it on tap too...one reason I am stoked about being at the brewery...I like the Longhammer too...really strong but good :)

Medievalist
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I've had it on tap too...one reason I am stoked about being at the brewery...I like the Longhammer too...really strong but good :)

I'll have to watch for that--haven't seen it locally.

Do report back re: the brewery!

Shadow_Ferret
06-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Now that summer is here, my fridge is stocked with all sorts of pilsners (well, except for anything by Bud/MillerCoors). :D

Worst = Beast

Beast?

milly
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I'll have to watch for that--haven't seen it locally.

Do report back re: the brewery!

will do...can't wait!

Kitty Pryde
07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I've been out of town, drinking loads of beer. If ever you pass through San Luis Obispo, their SLO Brewing Company's Chai Cream Ale is a truly amazing work of beer art.

Also! Just as a public service announcement, go try Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice (http://www.avbc.com/beers/summer-solstice-cerveza-crema/). Just barely sweet, like a mysterious berry you've never tasted before, creamy, smooth, and delicious! I seriously think this beer would convert non-beer drinkers, and make beer lovers have a religious experience of sorts. If you look up "refreshing" in the dictionary, there may well be a picture of this beer. For reals.

Xelebes
07-08-2010, 01:06 AM
So far, it's been Montreal's St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Need to taste some more.

milly
07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
OMG...had a great brown ale in Boston two days ago...a local brew called McChouffe's...oh my...very nice

also, tried the Orignal Sin Cider and thought it was nice as well

tried several local brews and even had a Sam Adams Brick Red...it's a red ale which is apparently only on tap in about 100 bars in and around the Boston area and it is by far the best Sam Adams beer I've had...EVER...and I actually think the Summer Ale they have out now as their seasonal is okay even though I'm not partiuclary fond of wheat beers

anyway...that's my update...good stuff...local which sucks now that I'm back in Florida with none of it to look forward to...glad I took in as much as I could while away :)

GeorgeK
07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
There are lots of good ones (what's best depends on the mood and the food). The worst for me (wouldn't drink it even if it's free, and wouldn't cook with it either) are Dinkle Aker (tasted like vomit) and Budweiser Select (tasted like the smell of an all boys high school gym locker)

milly
07-09-2010, 06:24 AM
budweiser select is awful though low in carbs...still, water works just as well :)

my vote is for H20

plaidearthworm
07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I love Guinness Stout, although I don't have it very often. The worst beer was a homebrewed blueberry beer made by a friend of the hubby. Still gives me a twitch when I think about it.

Shadow_Ferret
07-09-2010, 10:04 PM
The worst beer was a homebrewed blueberry beer made by a friend of the hubby. Still gives me a twitch when I think about it.
Naw, the worst beer ever was the one I made with my BIL. The recipe asked for a certain amount of sugar for fermentation. I forget what happened. Either we both added it not knowing the other did, or I read the recipe wrong and something like 2 to 3 times as much. Either way, the beers started exploding a few weeks later and the ones we could salvage were simply awful, like drinking pure bitter foam.

mscelina
07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Let's see ... worst/best

Budweiser Anything/depends on the season.

Depends on the season=

Spring--Blue Moon
Summer--Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Fall-Pete's Wicked Red
Winter--Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

But, if I'm drinking in a location without good beer, I'll drink Rolling Rock.

Medievalist
07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I've discovered that some beers are a little too Hoppy for my taste, like Bridge Port's Hop Czar (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43/43886).

I like Sam Adams in general, but I tried the Blackberry Witbier, which I expected to like, but actually? Not so much.

Kitty Pryde
07-10-2010, 02:36 AM
I've discovered that some beers a little too Hoppy for my taste, like Bridge Port's Hop Czar (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43/43886).

What's your feeling about Stone Ruination? My Ruination beer glass says "I'm extremely bitter...and I like it!" Other IPAs pale (ha! ha!) in comparison.

Medievalist
07-10-2010, 02:42 AM
What's your feeling about Stone Ruination? My Ruination beer glass says "I'm extremely bitter...and I like it!" Other IPAs pale (ha! ha!) in comparison.

I'll have to keep a look out for it. I do like IPAs, but the Hop Czar [shudder].

milly
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I tried a Harpoon IPA and one called Larry's IPA in Boston too and those were okay but they tend to be a little hoppy for my tastes...hence the reason I stick to brown ales or ciders or...other ales work fine but some IPAs are just too much

I also tried a watermelon ale in Salem, MA and it was great....very light on the flavor so it didn't ruin the beer...I always like trying some of those seasonal ones for a change of pace :)

Kitty Pryde
07-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Please explain this mystery to me: today at the grocery store, I was perusing the beer aisle when I discovered TWANG brand flavored "beer salt". Though my avatar might imply otherwise, I have no idea what this could possibly be for. Their website offers no guidance. WHY would anyone want to put salt in their beer? I could almost see why you would want an orange or lime flavor to stick in your beer (though juice or a fruit wedge would be infinitely better), but salt? Someone please explain.

MissMacchiato
07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
funny you should say that....

I had a Mexican room mate when I was living in Italy, and she said that they put salt in their Coronas, as well as lime. I tried it, and it's pretty good. Adds a nice edge.

Not sure if that's what the beer salt you saw is for, they just used regular table salt, but I thought I'd mention it

Medievalist
07-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Please explain this mystery to me: today at the grocery store, I was perusing the beer aisle when I discovered TWANG brand flavored "beer salt". Though my avatar might imply otherwise, I have no idea what this could possibly be for. Their website offers no guidance. WHY would anyone want to put salt in their beer? I could almost see why you would want an orange or lime flavor to stick in your beer (though juice or a fruit wedge would be infinitely better), but salt? Someone please explain.

It's for Corona and lime, and, even better, Red Beer, made with a chilled glass, tomato juice, beer, and kosher salt/rock salt on the rim.

Kitty Pryde
07-21-2010, 05:14 AM
It's for Corona and lime, and, even better, Red Beer, made with a chilled glass, tomato juice, beer, and kosher salt/rock salt on the rim.

You mean a Michelada? Oh, the horror! I choked one down at a biker bar in Malibu once out of curiousity (curiosity nauseates the cat). I guess bad taste + Mexican beer can explain the lime salt, but what do you do with the orange salt? If someone came near my Blue Moon with a salt shaker, I would savagely defend it with a waiter's friend!

Medievalist
07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
You mean a Michelada? Oh, the horror! I choked one down at a biker bar in Malibu once out of curiousity (curiosity nauseates the cat). I guess bad taste + Mexican beer can explain the lime salt, but what do you do with the orange salt? If someone came near my Blue Moon with a salt shaker, I would savagely defend it with a waiter's friend!

Yeah, that's the wrong kinda beer for Red beer. You want something like Kona Longboard Lager, maybe--something lagerish, anyway.

On a hot summer day, it's pretty fine, especially if you've been working hard.

milly
07-21-2010, 05:55 AM
BEER!!!!!!!!

okay, I feel better just for shouting that...carry on :)

Kitty Pryde
08-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Are you in LA, or did I imagine that? If you are in LA, the Cap N Cork Jr Market has an amazing selection of west coast microbrews and international beer. Plus. They are the only place I have found that carries Kern River Brew Co beer--Class V Stout is like the awesomest. Failing that:

1. Go to BevMo.
2. Ask someone working there.

My recommendation for stuff people don't tend to drink all that often:
-Stone Double Bastard, or Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard, or Stone Ruination. All very strong beers that would be fun to sip on.
-Moose Drool from Big Sky in Montana
-Racer 5 is a wee bit lowbrow but strong and delicious
-Lagunitas Brew Co makes delicious beers with hilarious labels

som1luvsmi
08-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks, Kitty!
I'm about 20 min. southeast of L.A., so I might be able to make it over there.

Vito
08-18-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm not a beer snob, but I do have my preferences.

Favorite - Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve. I've tried it in bottles and on tap, and I'm always impressed. Microbrew quality at a macrobrew price.

Least favorite - Game Day. It's 7-11's own generic brand of beer. Yes, that 7-11. Pretty awful stuff -- definitely my least favorite.

Medievalist
08-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Kitty!
I'm about 20 min. southeast of L.A., so I might be able to make it over there.

Check out the amazing selection of beers on tap at Father's Office, in Santa Monica and Culver City.

If you go in the early afternoon, before they get crowded the bar keeps are knowledgeable, and enthusiastic and super about suggestions.

Vito
08-23-2010, 05:31 PM
1. Go to BevMo.

BevMo is pretty cool. There are three BevMo stores within approx. 10 miles of my house, so I occasionally stop by to pick up microbrews or some of the cheap retro brands that they keep in stock -- Hamm's, Olympia, etc.

shyne
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Becoming a fan of Red Oak and this Irish Cider I picked up a month or two ago.

randywrite
08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Well let's see best beers would have to be:

1. Westmalle Trappist - this is a beer I drank when I lived in The Netherlands. It is supposed to be served at room temperature. I had my doubts, but when I tasted this beer - well it was orgasmic. It actually comes from Belgium though.

2. Dutch Heinekin comes in a brown bottle, not the traditional green stuff that we get in the United States. Also an incredible beer and it tastes nothing like American Heinekin.

3. Michelob and Budweiser Corona - my American favs

Worst: Pabst Blue Ribbon - headache beer

darkprincealain
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
There is one that I had at Grunauer (a local restaurant) but its exotic name didn't stick in my memory banks. Maybe I'll pop back by the thread when I can get another bottle of the yumness. :D

Cella
08-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Now I'm hungry for German food....

randywrite
08-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Now I'm thirsty for Dutch and Belgian beer. lol

ofriv
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Hands down....no #$%, best ever beer had (I'm hoping to best this someday) is a Macabee when I was in Tel Aviv!

Death Wizard
08-25-2010, 05:49 AM
As I've said before, I actually enjoy American light beer: bud light, coors light, mich ultra light. I'd rather drink, say, five lights, than two heavy beers. And I really do love the taste, even if it is watery. Very refreshing.

Gugland
08-25-2010, 05:59 AM
I don't drink beer that often. I try to wait awhile, that way it tastes "new" again. I like that. Anyway, I don't often try new beers, I stick with the old stand-by's:

Downtown Brown
Gordon Biersch Marzen
Bridegport Porter
And on a hot summer afternoon, an ice-cold Coors. I also use it for red beer.

ElsaM
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
I like beer, but don't do well with the stronger flavoured ones. At the moment I'm drinking asian beers more often than anything else, and of those my favourite would be Sapporo.

The other day I drank a Baltika 3 because I was taken by surprise and it reminded me of train travel, but it's really not a good beer. Better than a Sibirskaya Corona, but not by much.

Worst beer would be XXXX. Or maybe Sibirskaya Corona. No, probably XXXX.

Susie
09-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Do they have chocolate beer? Just wonderin' :D

Medievalist
09-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Yes. I recommend Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, or, one of my favorite's. Kona Longline Porter--which has chocolate malt and coffee.

Kitty Pryde
09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Susie-yes!! And the great thing about chocolate beer is that it is perrrrrrrrrfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it! :D

Susie
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow, these beers sounds super with choco. 'n vanilla ice cream too. I don't drink beer, but I could reconsider with these yummies :D

Medievalist
09-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I am contemplating, when I have a freezer, buying one of those small 1 qt ice cream makers, and making ice cream out of a chocolate infused porter or stout. I've made Tequilla-lime sorbet and that was lots of fun, and I've made lots of bread using beer.

I'm intrigued by the thought of porter/stout ice cream with a flourless chocolate cake, for instance.

Rowan
09-19-2010, 09:50 PM
The only beer I can drink are the gluten free ones (not very good but improving slowly). I'll stick with wine! :)

Shadow_Ferret
09-19-2010, 09:52 PM

My MIL salts everything, including beer. But I think she does it to get rid of the foam.

Here's some more explanations of why people salt beer:

Putting salt in beer stems from a few philosophies - all of which seem to have had a purpose at one time or another. An old wives' tale said that putting a sprinkle of salt in your beer would stave off cramping during hard work. Dehydration can cause cramping of the muscles, because of the depletion of minerals in the body. Adding salt to the beer would make the worker thirsty, and thus he would drink more beer to relieve the dehydration.

Others add salt to beer for flavor purposes; post-prohibition (1933) beer had turned into somewhat of an ugly being. Breweries had to cut costs and started to use cheaper ingredients like rice and corn, which made for a nearly flavorless beer. These beers are still around, though most people have become accustomed to flavorless beer and so have no need for the salt. Many South and Central American beer drinkers will add salt, and sometimes hot sauce and/or lemon, for flavor, or to mask off flavor in beer.

The last reason we found, which also makes no sense, was to add salt to beer to knock the carbonation out. Why not just pour the beer out hard or swirl it a couple times?

Really and truly, there is no reason to add salt to your beer (unless you are 80-something and traditions die hard with you). Nowadays, adding salt to your beer is a complete oddity, something of the past. Save the salt for a good steak, and leave the beer alone!

Susie
09-20-2010, 04:55 AM
OMG, Lisa, that sounds fantastic!

darkprincealain
10-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I had Pyramid hefeweizen the other day, and I think I just found a new favorite hefe. :D

brainstorm77
10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Best: India.

whacko
10-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Preferring quantity over quality, I direct the UK members to Teso, wherein 24 cans of beer are being sold for the rather attractive munifence of a tenner.

Medievalist
10-24-2010, 02:32 AM
I've finally had Kona Pipeline Porter on tap.

And it's walking distance . . .

GeorgeK
10-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Yes. I recommend Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, or, one of my favorite's. Kona Longline Porter--which has chocolate malt and coffee.

Unless there has been some very recent change in the industry, the term "chocolate malt" in brewing has nothing to do with actual chocolate except the color. It's a description of how dark to roast your malted grains. I'm sure somebody does use actual chocolate, but I've never seen one (at least not a commercial variety), and I don't know young's recipe, maybe they do, but my guess is not. Coffee OTOH is gaining some popularity in small quantities in some stouts and porters, but there too it's originally a description of how dark to roast the grain.

Among homebrewers, some people will add chocolate (usually only to stouts) to add a few complex sugars that the yeast can't digest. That contributes some "mouthfeel" and head retention without really sweetening the brew. Commercial breweries have often tried to duplicate the "mouthfeel" by adding far cheaper corn syrup after filtering out the yeast and market it as a "high gravity brew". IMO those are to be avoided unless you like sweet beers. High gravity is a term that is supposed to refer to your starting sugars before fermentation, not as a result of adding sugar after the yeast are gone. Beer shouldn't be sticky.

I am contemplating, when I have a freezer, buying one of those small 1 qt ice cream makers, and making ice cream out of a chocolate infused porter or stout. I've made Tequilla-lime sorbet and that was lots of fun, and I've made lots of bread using beer.

I'm intrigued by the thought of porter/stout ice cream with a flourless chocolate cake, for instance.

Ice cream IN beer is very much an individual taste thing. My suggestion is start with small glasses in case you don't like it. However, a flourless chocolate cake ala mode with a tall porter beside is a nice finish to a good stroganoff dinner or especially a rack of lamb.

Vito
08-20-2011, 01:29 AM
least favorite....

Me?

Coors

:ROFL:

Coors Original was extremely popular here in California during the 1970s, especially in the little cowboy town where I went to high school. Pretty much everyone loved it, and it seemed to be especially popular among young women -- as my buddies always used to say back then, "Chicks dig Coors!" So I have a lot of great memories about drinking Coors at the big teenage keg parties on the hills overlooking the horse ranches, cranking up Foghat songs, watching the sun go down, just hangin' out. It was seriously cool!

Current favorites: Lone Star, Henry Weinhard's, Old Milwaukee (if I'm goin' cheap) and Hamm's (if I'm goin' really cheap).

Least favorite: Game Day. It's 7-11's own brand, and it's pretty bad. :scared:I also really dislike Anchor Steam, even though it's sort of expensive and everyone else seems to love it.

firedrake
08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
eee, tough one. Toss up between Tsing Tao, Peroni or Murphy's Red.

I loathe Coors Light, aka Colorado Koolaid.

Vito
08-20-2011, 02:03 AM
I loathe Coors Light, aka Colorado Koolaid.

Although I often drank Coors Original (yellow label) when I was younger, I never came across Coors Light (silver label) until much later -- must have been the 1990s. I've only tried it two or three times, and I can't even remember if I liked it or not on those occasions. :tongue

mirandashell
08-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Coors is a beer?

Are you sure?

urbanmum
08-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Best: Innis & Gunn Pale Ale
Worst: Okanagan

Other likes: Stella Artois, Sleeman's Cream Ale, Miller Genuine Draft
Other dislikes: Labatt Blue, Molson Canadian, Lakeport

Cheers :e2drunk:

Caitlin Black
08-20-2011, 05:14 AM
The ones I like enough to buy in a pub or restaurant:

Peroni, Toohey's Extra Dry (Ted's we call it), Carlton Draught (though certainly not my favourite) and I'll sometimes fork out the cash for a Pure Blonde or 3. It's not exactly a light beer, but it is low-carbs, for the weight conscious. I can't decide on a favourite out of all those.

Least favourites: Victoria Bitter, XXXX, Coopers (they all have sediment, which I don't like) or anything Fosters except Pure Blonde.

I actually used to drink Coopers when it was available on tap, because you don't get a heap of sediment on tap. But most places nowadays just have it in bottles, with the bottom inch solid sediment flakes. Eww. Just eww.

Oh, and I like Heineken.

(Is aware that most of the beers listed here are Australian. :tongue)

Vito
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Coors is a beer?

Are you sure?

I think you should ask the original poster, Cella. :ROFL: