PDA

View Full Version : The Slap Bracelet

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdMvCBgbutM I had one. Did you? :)

spamwarrior
10-27-2009, 05:26 AM
I think I did! They were fun.

Maryn
10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Our daughter had a half dozen of these. I bet there's still a couple in her closet, in boxes of stuff too much bother to sort. It was a favorite party favor for a while there.

Maryn, deprived by never having had her own slap bracelet [stifled sob]

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
The imagry and the way I came up with my own interpretation of what that means on a level of spirituality that I'll never understand, is beyond words.

Wayne K
10-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Oh, I thought it was art.

Silver King
10-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Do they make a bigger one that slaps around the neck that you can yank to get someone's attention?

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Do they make a bigger one that slaps around the neck that you can yank to get someone's attention?

I dunno. Sounds like you may be wantin a shock collar?

rhymegirl
10-27-2009, 05:51 AM

Yes, of course.

bettielee
10-27-2009, 05:52 AM
No.

I am into jools, not plastic accessories.

Kitty Pryde
10-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Yes! I had a slap bracelet that was hot pink with black tiger stripes on it when I was little. It was totally hott.

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 06:09 AM
I think I still have the one from the 80's. Silver and black.

BenPanced
10-27-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm obviously waaaaaaaaay before your time. When I was your age...QUIT GRIPIN' OR I'M GOIN' TO CONVENIENTLY "FORGET" PARTS OF THE STORY AND DRAG IT OUT AN EXTRA 45 MINUTES...we wore jewelry that we could EAT because people weren't afraid to give kids SMALL PIECES OF CANDY that could lodge in their throats and make 'em choke to death! Now shaddap and fetch me my "medicine".

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Candy bracelets!!!!! I remember those but the candy was awful! Fun Dip anyone?

Silver King
10-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I dunno. Sounds like you may be wantin a shock collar?

Yes, of course.
I like the way that bracelet slaps on, and was thinking it might come in handy in a longer, wider version that you could use to snap onto people's necks. For example, when you're waiting in line, and some doofus is holding up progress, you could snap his ass and yank him to the back of the line where he belongs.

Just this morning, a crazed woman leaned out of her car window and started yelling at me. I was taken aback for a moment, unsure of what to do. But if I'd had one of those slap devices that fit around her neck, I could've reached out like one of those Amazonian lizards that catches prey with its freakishly long tongue and yanked her dumb ass straight through the car window and onto the road. Then I would have driven off, pleased with the device and its effectiveness in deterring road rage.

rhymegirl
10-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I thought you had different ideas for that neck collar, SK.

Smish
10-27-2009, 06:29 AM
I was in elementary school when those were popular, so of course I had a few!

And Fun Dip... yummm. I still buy Fun Dip whenever I happen to find it somewhere. I always eat the candy stick before I finish with the sugar, though, and then I have to use my finger. :D

Gemnyc
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I had a few snap bracelets in really bright colors - neon, pinks, strips and a zebra print. I remember that once you had used them a lot the metal bit would start to stick out of the material. My Mum would then bin them as apparently they were dangerous!

I think I remember them being banned in some schools in the UK during the craze.

Sweet Tea
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Oh yes, the slap bracelets. Our school banned the silly things. Now I am really going to show my age - we had candy cigarettes. Honest. Chalky tasting - nasty. But hey - what says "I'm all grown up so let's burn one" like a pack of candy cigarettes in a 7-year-old's jacket pocket.

bettielee
10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
For the life of me, I don't remember these things. It might have been the all the neon I wore - it might have wiped out some of my memories, some sort of low-grade nuclear sub-particles...

The boys used to say the girls wearing the neon had the Hi-Pro glow.

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh yes, the slap bracelets. Our school banned the silly things. Now I am really going to show my age - we had candy cigarettes. Honest. Chalky tasting - nasty. But hey - what says "I'm all grown up so let's burn one" like a pack of candy cigarettes in a 7-year-old's jacket pocket.

Popeye cigs?

Jersey Chick
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I remember gum cigarettes - they were covered in powdered sugar and wrapped in paper so you could make "smoke"

Remember Big League Chew? It came in a pouch and was shredded, like chewing tobacco (blech, how disgusting a thing to market to kids, eh??)

I worked in a pharmacy during my senior year of high school and college and those snap bracelets were one of the fastest-selling things. Kids would grab them out of the display bucket and snap them over and over until the material wore off the sheet metal and someone sliced open an artery. :D

Anyone remember Kerbangers? Mine were not as nice as these...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/JerseyChick71/ClackersBLUE.jpg

but I'm sure they left the same kind of bruises all up and down the arm...

Alpha Echo
10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
OMG I had a ton of slap bracelets! Different colors and designs...loved those!

Adam
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Yup, I had a few. :D

I used to love candy cigarettes, too. Dad smoked, so I thought it was the thing to do. ;)

bettielee
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I loved those dusty, chalky candy cigarettes!

Adam
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
We had chocolate ones wrapped in rice paper, too. They were called Old Toad, or something like that. ;)

Smish
10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Remember Big League Chew? It came in a pouch and was shredded, like chewing tobacco (blech, how disgusting a thing to market to kids, eh??)

I had forgotten all about that stuff, but now I remember it! It was pink and tasted like that BubbleTape stuff they have now. :)

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
We had chocolate ones wrapped in rice paper, too. They were called Old Toad, or something like that. ;)

They were nommy!

Jersey Chick
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
And Pop Rocks! I used to love Pop Rocks! :D

Wicked
10-28-2009, 07:15 PM
re: slap bracelet

Remember them? I just bought a hundred of them as prizes for our school's Accelerated Reader program, and the fall carnival. I get them every year. The kids love them.
Mood rings are also a hot item in the AR store.

I remember the candy cigarettes. Yuck. They tasted like dried up Pepto Bismol.

I always loved the shredded beef jerky that came in a round plastic can, so you could have that authentic "coppenhagen" ring in your back jean pocket.

DeleyanLee
10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I remember gum cigarettes - they were covered in powdered sugar and wrapped in paper so you could make "smoke"

Yeppers, I remember these. Also remember the hard stick candy ciggies you had to be careful when you broke off the "pack".

Double-yeppers. Remember these too.

Heavens, yes! LOL! My folks had to take mine from me when I realized that they could be used as projectile weapons and could bring down an escaping sibling. Though my father was impressed by my skill to do so, my mother was stunned. Honestly, I was stunned that it worked and that it actually didn't hurt her much.

Kathleen42
10-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Our school banned the snap bracelets as well. Said they could be used as weapons :(

kayleamay
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM

The most fabulously dangerous toy of all time! Mine were red. I think this fad ended right before the Swatch watch phase.

icerose
10-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I loved the snap braceletts because they were an excellent way to figet.

JoNightshade
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I wanted a snap bracelet so bad when I was little I actually begged an old tape measure from my dad because I thought if I cut it up I could make my own. For some reason, cut up segments of tape measure do not curl up when slapped. :)

Ah but then one day we were at an amusement park and my dad offered to buy me something! TWO SLAP BRACELETS WERE MINE!!!

Wonder whatever happened to them. I think I wore them out.

Did anyone else's school have the "toggles" craze? Like, the little things you can use to adjust the string on a hood. When I was in gradeschool all the cool kids went around with jackets that had like 20 toggles lined up on each string. It got to be such a big deal that people were stealing them and fighting over them so finally they were banned. Ay.

Ken
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
And Pop Rocks! I used to love Pop Rocks! :D

... the most insane candy ever invented, but very, very cool :-)
(They exploded when you chewed them as I recall!)

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Slap bracelets were more my kids time.

I remember those click clacks. I was good at those. Could really get them clacking.

brainstorm77
10-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Pop Rocks always freaked me out. How about Garbage Pail Kids Cards? I use to have all of those :)

Sweet Tea
10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
There are still some very creative uses for Pop Rocks - or so I've heard.

brainstorm77
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
There are still some very creative uses for Pop Rocks - or so I've heard.

?

kaitie
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm obviously waaaaaaaaay before your time. When I was your age...QUIT GRIPIN' OR I'M GOIN' TO CONVENIENTLY "FORGET" PARTS OF THE STORY AND DRAG IT OUT AN EXTRA 45 MINUTES...we wore jewelry that we could EAT because people weren't afraid to give kids SMALL PIECES OF CANDY that could lodge in their throats and make 'em choke to death! Now shaddap and fetch me my "medicine".

Oh man candy necklaces! Talk about nostalgia! I used to LOVE those as a kid. And what's funny is that they didn't even taste all that good. It was just the fact that you got to eat something you were wearing that made it fun.

I suddenly see a very wrong direction that last comment could have gone...:tongue

Wicked
11-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I suddenly see a very wrong direction that last comment could have gone...:tongue

man candy necklaces!
Yeah. That one made me do a double take. :roll: