Help! I'm not sure what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I have an agent asking for a partial and she is very specific in what she wants. My question is about the synopsis. She wants a two page synopsis but mine is three and single spaced. I don't know why, I remember reading somewhere that a synopsis could be single spaced but the way the agent is asking for everything it makes it seem like she wants the synopsis double spaced and only two pages.

So...she wants the first fifty pages with margins and double spaced and headers and stuff. No problem. But should I just put my original synopsis with the rest of the stuff or should I go ahead and rework it to be two pages, double spaced?

Aaauuugggh.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If she wants 2 pages, send her 2 pages. ALWAYS give them what they ask for, exactly as they ask for it. Cut your synopsis down to a more general overview, and save the more detailed one in case you need it later.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
What Cyia said. First impressions are everything, so you want to show that you can follow instruction.

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cyia and Wayne K! I thought that might be the case so I'm frantically cutting and cutting some more. Thanks for your input and keep your fingers crossed! :)

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
I say cut. But keep in mind that synopses are usually single-spaced. I've never heard of a double-spaced synopsis.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
All authors should have both a long synopsis (4 pages max) and a shorter one, just in case you get a publisher or agent like that one who wants a shorter overview of the story. As to what goes in them. It's up to you. Run them by a few beta readers and see what they say. I always ask for a long and a short, because publishers differ in what they want.

My partner Gloria does the pitching in this agency. She usually has less than one minute to convince an editor to take a full. She studies the short synopsis to refresh her memory of the story, then wings it on the phone in a conversational manner.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Single spacing does not mean you should add more words to the synopsis. Give her what she wants, the way she wants it. Such opportunities are rare.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean such opportunities are rare? If you write well, you'll get replies from agents. If you write really well, you'll get offers for your book from editors.

The scarcity mindset tells me indicates that there is some self-doubt about your own work.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What do you mean such opportunities are rare? If you write well, you'll get replies from agents. If you write really well, you'll get offers for your book from editors.

The scarcity mindset tells me indicates that there is some self-doubt about your own work.

While I appreciate the positive outlook, I only wish it were that simple.

Also, if you've never encountered doubt about your work, just wait patiently. In time the industry will provide this valuable experience.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
While I appreciate the positive outlook, I only wish it were that simple.

Also, if you've never encountered doubt about your work, just wait patiently. In time the industry will provide this valuable experience.

No doubt. :D

If all it took was good writing, book stores would be a very different place. Fantastic writers are overlooked all the time.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
Wordwrestler, I'm published by one of the big houses. I know about "this business."

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Wordwrestler, I'm published by one of the big houses. I know about "this business."

Perhaps then, Lucy, you should try and keep in mind that not everyone else is as blessed with self-confidence as you are. There are writers of varying experience on this board, which exists to help authors find their way through the business no matter what level they are at.

OP--cut your synopsis and follow the submission guidelines exactly. Take a deep breath, ask someone to doublecheck your return letter and synopsis, and then sit back and prepare to wait.

You'll be fine.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I didn't intend to imply you weren't published. For all I know you have decades of experience as a published author. My point was that I believe eventually this industry will bring every one of us to the point of self-doubt. It's a normal part of the process.

Often it's even a reasonable response. I felt your post was demeaning another author for stating a fact (and it is a fact for many of us) that requests for more material are rare opportunities. You made the assumption that author struggled with self-doubt, and came across as judging any author who would have doubts.

All the published authors I know, including those with multiple bestsellers, have had their moments of doubt.

If you truly never have, if your good writing has always been rewarded with a lucrative contract and rave reviews, I'm truly happy for you and wish you continued success. I just don't think that's the typical experience. Nor do I think it's helpful to suggest an unpublished writer take a request for material for granted.

Of course we shouldn't cower in fear or wallow in despair, but for many of us, such opportunities don't come all that frequently.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Two pages, single-spaced paragraphs, double-space between paragraphs.

It will have all the plot spoilers.

Read%20the%20damn%20directions.jpg

This is your chance to show how smart you are.

You get one.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score

Lucy, this was uncalled for and these types of comments are unhelpful. Try to refrain from making personal comments like this in future. The one rule here is to respect your fellow writer. Period. It might be good for you take a look over the newbie guide, which is in a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum.

Just about everyone will suffer from self-doubt at some point, even if only for a moment.

Okay, I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I have an agent asking for a partial and she is very specific in what she wants. My question is about the synopsis. She wants a two page synopsis but mine is three and single spaced. I don't know why, I remember reading somewhere that a synopsis could be single spaced but the way the agent is asking for everything it makes it seem like she wants the synopsis double spaced and only two pages.

So...she wants the first fifty pages with margins and double spaced and headers and stuff. No problem. But should I just put my original synopsis with the rest of the stuff or should I go ahead and rework it to be two pages, double spaced?

Aaauuugggh.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks.
And, as others have said already, it's always best to follow the agents guidelines to the letter.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
JVC, I did not make a personal attack. I made the comment that this theory of scarcity is not helping the OP.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
JVC, I did not make a personal attack. I made the comment that this theory of scarcity is not helping the OP.
Perhaps, but your wording gave that impression. Having a positive attitude is a good thing and will no doubt help when subbing to agents. And self-doubt isn't something to be ashamed about. Many brilliant and successful writers suffer from this. Even after they've had dozens of books published. Some may not want to admit to it, though.

But, at the same time, realism is also necessary. The replies merely told the OP to follow the guidelines set by the agent. If two pages is what the agent wants, don't send three or four. Agents will want to see that an author can follow instructions. And I believe James and some of the other replies were merely pointing out that the OP did good in getting an invitation to send more, something that can be 'rare', or, not as common as some would believe. Just because a MS is well written, well plotted etc, doens't mean an agent will like it. It's all subjective, after all.

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all your input - and backing! - I really appreciate it. Everything is sent off with fingers crossed. Thanks for everyone's help.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
JVC,

I'm unclear on what exactly the purpose of commenting at all might be, since any bit of realism, no matter how mild, is taken as some kind of attack on the work or the writer himself. This is preposterous. 99% of the stuff on this forum is unreadable dreck, and you know it. I don't comment on the truly horrible stuff (anymore) because it is considered mean. But what is kind about telling someone who can not construct a sentence to sure, send out your ms, I'm sure the agents will love it!

That isn't kindness, and it's not support. That is just stupidity. It helps nobody.

I am not saying that the tone of this site should change from supportive and helpful to mean. But I am saying that interjecting a bit of reality in the situation should NOT be considered some kind of hostile attack. As you state, it is subjective, but nobody wants to read crap. NOBODY. And some of the ideas expressed here, and some of the writing is simply crap. If that person is just beginning, then okay, she's still in the learning curve. But that person should NOT be encouraged to send to agents. It just clogs up the system for those who are actually ready to be published.

Whatever benefit you derive from encouraging even the most hopeless is yours personally. It certainly is not helping the recipient of your advice.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. How nice for you. I suggest you find another forum more worthy.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to close this since the OP seems to have found reasonable answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.