So, my motherboard is burnt toast.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.amandaplavich.com/2009/10/25/i-am-going-to-be-sick/

This is good and bad news. The good news is that I can get the information off the hard drive. The bad news is I have to fork out money for a new computer. I'm thinking I want a Mac because I do photography as well, but I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations?

(I should add that I need a workhorse)

Should I have put this in Tech Help? I just noticed that forum.

Last edited:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mac. I loved my Mac, but after 6 years of reliable service and never being turned off it died. Now I have a PC because at the time I couldn't afford to replace Donald (my Mac) with a new one. When I conquer the world I will provide everyone with a hundred acres, a mule and a Mac.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Are all Mac's created equal? I'm ignorant about them other than their abilities for picture editing. :)

And I'm at work (a lot of stuff is blocked), so I can't see that picture, Wayne, but I'm sure it's funny. : -P

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are all Mac's created equal? I'm ignorant about them other than their abilities for picture editing. :)

And I'm at work (a lot of stuff is blocked), so I can't see that picture, Wayne, but I'm sure it's funny. : -P

If by "equal" you mean superior to all other PC's, the answer is yes. Go to a Mac store. You'll fall in love.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. They vary. More bang for your buck just like other PC's, but even the low end Mac's do just about everything, unless you're planning on spending 24 hours a day playing WOW.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Argh, I keep reading the thread title as "So, my motherhood is burnt toast."

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.amandaplavich.com/2009/10/25/i-am-going-to-be-sick/

This is good and bad news. The good news is that I can get the information off the hard drive. The bad news is I have to fork out money for a new computer. I'm thinking I want a Mac because I do photography as well, but I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations?

(I should add that I need a workhorse)

Should I have put this in Tech Help? I just noticed that forum.

From the sounds of it, the only thing in your pc that was damaged was the motherboard. Why not just have that replaced? It will cost less than a whole new computer. Btw, as long as your hard drive wasn't damaged, getting the information off of it is as easy as plugging it into a new pc. Have you asked how much just to replace the fried parts?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's five years old anyway, and I really need an upgrade (especially now that I've started my photography business - Photoshop eats up the memory and I need a better monitor - that's why the Mac is so appealing because it doesn't really need to be calibrated as often, like a PC does), so we decided instead of putting more money into this one, we'd just go ahead and get the new one. :)

And how do I plug it into a new PC? With what, I mean? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Though, my husband's IT guy is going to do it for me, anyway, but just for future reference!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's five years old anyway, and I really need an upgrade (especially now that I've started my photography business - Photoshop eats up the memory and I need a better monitor - that's why the Mac is so appealing because it doesn't really need to be calibrated as often, like a PC does), so we decided instead of putting more money into this one, we'd just go ahead and get the new one. :)

And how do I plug it into a new PC? With what, I mean? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Though, my husband's IT guy is going to do it for me, anyway, but just for future reference!
:) You ask the IT guy to plug it in.

If you are handy and you are working on a pc, then you could do the work yourself. But you have to know what plug goes where.

I am not sure if you get a Mac if the hard drive you have will work with it or not. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Your IT guy will be able to tell you. Worse case scenario you can get a usb cable and transfer the data of the drive onto the new Mac drive.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. Have you been to apple.com yet?

No, I've looked at them briefly at Best Buy, though. I really need to educate myself before I bite the bullet, I think. I'll check their website out, too. Thanks!

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
No, I've looked at them briefly at Best Buy, though. I really need to educate myself before I bite the bullet, I think. I'll check their website out, too. Thanks!

Best Buy isn't your best bet if you're interested in Apple gear. Check out Apple's website instead, and look for an Apple retail store in your area so you can try a Mac before you buy.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
At the Apple stores?

See, the whole conversion stuff is scaring me. I know exactly what to do if I have an issue with my PC. I'm scared I'll be lost with a Mac!

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
lol, true, true. Is there some sort of support group I should join? : -P