It's a pure dead give-away that you're Scottish if ...

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I know at least half of this isn't true of our Scottish pals up there in their own tundra, but I hoped it would provide a laugh anyway. :) But -- "numpty" is Scottish? I thought it was a London thing. That was my new fact of the day learned. :D And number 7 is surely true of all Brits!

It's a pure dead give-away that you're Scottish if ...

1. You consider scattered showers with outbreaks of sunshine as good weather.

2. The only sausage you like is square.

3. You have been forced to do Scottish country dancing every year at secondary school.

4. You have a wide vocabulary of Scottish words such as numpty, aye, aye right, auldjin, baltic...

5. You destroyed your teeth when you were young using Buchanan's toffee, Wham bars, Penny Dainties, MB Bars, Cola Cubes, etc.

6. You have an enormous feeling of dread whenever Scotland play a 'numpty' team like the Faroe Islands.

7. You happily engage in a conversation about the weather with someone you've never met before.

8. Even if you normally hate the Proclaimers, Runrig, Caledonia, Deacon Blue and Big Country, you still love it when you're in a club abroad and they play something Scottish.

9. You used to watch Glen Michael's Cavalcade on a Sunday afternoon with his side kick Lamp Paladin.

10. You got Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Xmas.

11. You can tell where another Scot is from by their accent - "Awright, pal, gonnae gies a wee swatch oa yur Sun ? Cheers, magic pal." Or "Fit ya bin up tae ? Fair few quines in the nicht, eh ?", etc.

12. You see cops and hear someone shout 'Errapolis'.

13. You have participated in or watched people having a 'square go'.

14. You know that when someone asks you what school you went to they only want to know if you are Catholic or Protestant.

15. You have eaten lots and lots of random Scottish food like mince 'n tatties, Tunnock's Caramel Logs, oat cakes, haggis, Cullen skink, Lees Macaroon Bars, etc.

16. A jakey has asked you for money.

17. You think nothing of waiting expectantly for your 1p change from a shop keeper.

18. You know the right response to 'Ye dancing ?' is 'Y'askin?' followed by 'Ahm askin' and finally 'Then ahm dancin'.

19. Whenever you see sawdust it reminds you of pools of vomit as that's what the jannies used to chuck on it at school.

20. You lose all respect for a groom who doesn't wear a kilt.

21. You don't do shopping... you 'go the messages'.

22. You're sitting on the train or bus and a drunk man sits next to you telling you a joke - and asking 'Ahm no annoying ye ahm a?' and you respond 'Naw, not at a', yer fine. This is ma stoap, but'.

23. You can have an entire phone conversation using only the words 'awright', 'aye' and 'naw'.

24. You have experienced peer pressure to have an alcoholic drink when out - regardless of the circumstances.

25. You know that ye cannae fling yer pieces oot a 20 storey flat, and that seven hundred hungry weans'll testify tae that. Furthermore you're sure that if it's butter, cheese or jeely, or if the breid is plain or pan, the odds against it reaching earth are 99 tae wan.

26. You know that going to a party at a friend's house involves bringing your own drink.

27. Your holiday abroad is ruined if you hear there is a heatwave in Scotland while you're away.

28. Your national team goes 2-0 up again the Czechs in a qualifier in Prague and your mate says we'll end up losing 3-2 here and you think "Probably".

29. You can properly pronounce McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, and Auchtermuchty.

30. Your favourite pizza is deep fried and battered from the chippy.

31. You're used to 4 seasons in one day.

32. You can't pass a chip shop or kebab shop without drooling, when you're drunk.

33. You can fall about drunk without spilling your drink.

34. You measure distance in minutes.

35. You can understand Rab C Nesbitt and know characters just like them in your own family.

36. You go to Saltcoats because you think it's like being at the ocean.

37. You can make a whole sentence out of just swear words.

38. You know what haggis is made with and still eat it.

39. Somebody you know used a football schedule to plan their wedding day date.

40. You've been at a wedding where the footie results were read out.

41. You aren't surprised to find curries, pizzas, kebabs, Irn Bru, nappies and fags all for sale in one shop.

42. Your seaside holiday home has Calor gas under it.

43. You know that Irn Bru is an infallible hangover cure.

44. You understand all the above and are going to send it to your pals.

45. And, finally, you are 100 per cent Scottish if you have ever used these terms - "How's it hingin'?", "clatty", "boggin", "cludgie", "dreich", "bampot", "bawheid", "baw bag" and "dubble nugget.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm
well i scored 38 out of 45 (failed on 9,10,15,20,29,36,and 45(got 44))
Does that mean i'm 2/3rds Scottish?

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
ElaraSophia
Thanks for that link
So so hilarious without meaning to be.
Is that guy (Sir Alistair) completly insane?
One thing is for sure, he won't be moving back to Scotland if he values his sporran...
THis stuff is perfect for Watson' Wind Up - on BBC Scotland.

>>Sir Alistair, who said he was 99% Scottish, said the rest of the UK should not lose an hour of evening daylight just because Scottish farmers did not want to milk in the dark.

He said the Scottish argument had traditionally been that it made it safer for children going to school in the morning.

However, he claimed more children were run over when they were returning from school tired and in the dark.

The historian said the progress of devolution and the release of Lockerbie bomber Abelbasset al-Megrahi had led him to think that Scotland could take its own decisions and the rest of the UK should no longer be tied to a time zone which does not suit it.

He said Scotland could have its own "tundra time".

Tundra is a geological term relating to a vast treeless zone with permanently frozen subsoil.

Sir Alistair said the rest of the UK could adopt a more fitting time zone.

He cited the example of the Eurostar link between London and Paris.

"You can be in France in 21 minutes but you have to change your clocks and work out when all your appointments are," he said.<<

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was so ready to get pissed off at this, but...
It is, isn't it?
I believe you are referring to Lorne? :D I've eaten it, but prefer bangers 'n' mash.
3. You have been forced to do Scottish country dancing every year at secondary school.
Hahahahaha! Christ yeah, when I was at an Academy, we were made to do this. And the high school I moved to as well.
4. You have a wide vocabulary of Scottish words such as numpty, aye, aye right, auldjin, baltic...
Just ask tt42...
5. You destroyed your teeth when you were young using Buchanan's toffee, Wham bars, Penny Dainties, MB Bars, Cola Cubes, etc.
Nope. Still have all my own teeth.

I was in the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh with Mr Perks this summer, and he pointed out some 17th century dental tools that looked like instruments of torture. I said, "Dear Lord, [Mr Perks]. I'm a Brit - what need have I of dental instruments?" which tickled him.

But my teeth are good. :D
6. You have an enormous feeling of dread whenever Scotland play a 'numpty' team like the Faroe Islands.
Yeah, 'cause I know we're gonna get our arses felt...
7. You happily engage in a conversation about the weather with someone you've never met before.
Just me, but I don't often speak to strangers. I can. I just prefer not to unless it's essential. And weather-chat is not essential.

The weather's pish. End o' story.
8. Even if you normally hate the Proclaimers, Runrig, Caledonia, Deacon Blue and Big Country, you still love it when you're in a club abroad and they play something Scottish.
Good. Christ. No. Hate all of the above.

500 Miles is the end-of-the-night floor-clearer in a nightclub in town. Tru fax. The Proclaimers come on, the ugly lights are up...everyone gone.
9. You used to watch Glen Michael's Cavalcade on a Sunday afternoon with his side kick Lamp Paladin.
Huh?
10. You got Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Xmas.
Yes!!!:D
11. You can tell where another Scot is from by their accent - "Awright, pal, gonnae gies a wee swatch oa yur Sun ? Cheers, magic pal." Or "Fit ya bin up tae ? Fair few quines in the nicht, eh ?", etc.
Aye! :D I've referred to people as 'Weegies' before and mystified the people I'm with. "Oh, they're all Scottish." - "Uh, no...there are variations."
12. You see cops and hear someone shout 'Errapolis'.
Or just, "Polis!"
13. You have participated in or watched people having a 'square go'.
Reminds me of my school days, this one...
14. You know that when someone asks you what school you went to they only want to know if you are Catholic or Protestant.
Yup. No joke. Sad, too.
15. You have eaten lots and lots of random Scottish food like mince 'n tatties, Tunnock's Caramel Logs, oat cakes, haggis, Cullen skink, Lees Macaroon Bars, etc.
My gran's tatties 'n' mince were second to none.
16. A jakey has asked you for money.
And I give them my ball-withering stare.
17. You think nothing of waiting expectantly for your 1p change from a shop keeper.
*ahem*
18. You know the right response to 'Ye dancing ?' is 'Y'askin?' followed by 'Ahm askin' and finally 'Then ahm dancin'.
Francie & Josie! :D
19. Whenever you see sawdust it reminds you of pools of vomit as that's what the jannies used to chuck on it at school.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
20. You lose all respect for a groom who doesn't wear a kilt.
Unless he's a minger. Which all men from Dundee are.
21. You don't do shopping... you 'go the messages'.
I remember the first time my mother said that after we moved to England. My dad was like, "What the...?"
22. You're sitting on the train or bus and a drunk man sits next to you telling you a joke - and asking 'Ahm no annoying ye ahm a?' and you respond 'Naw, not at a', yer fine. This is ma stoap, but'.
Can't say it's happened. Maybe it's my patented ball-withering stare at work...
23. You can have an entire phone conversation using only the words 'awright', 'aye' and 'naw'.
Oh god. I have so done this. I remember sitting beside a fellow AWer from the land of the Angles (*coughclockworkcough*) while on the phone to a friend. I was arranging to go meet her in the pub and said, "Aye, aye, okay, back o' seven then?"

And all I hear is this snigger and "That's so Scottish."
24. You have experienced peer pressure to have an alcoholic drink when out - regardless of the circumstances.
"Och, goan, goan, just the wan."
25. You know that ye cannae fling yer pieces oot a 20 storey flat, and that seven hundred hungry weans'll testify tae that. Furthermore you're sure that if it's butter, cheese or jeely, or if the breid is plain or pan, the odds against it reaching earth are 99 tae wan.
I understood that. :D
26. You know that going to a party at a friend's house involves bringing your own drink.
Well duh. And you always end up with more swally than when ye startit.
27. Your holiday abroad is ruined if you hear there is a heatwave in Scotland while you're away.
Never been abroad. Unless you count England. :D
28. Your national team goes 2-0 up again the Czechs in a qualifier in Prague and your mate says we'll end up losing 3-2 here and you think "Probably".
Aye. :D
29. You can properly pronounce McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, and Auchtermuchty.
What about Glamis and Scone?
30. Your favourite pizza is deep fried and battered from the chippy.
Ugh. Never.
But this is true.
32. You can't pass a chip shop or kebab shop without drooling, when you're drunk.
Nah. The smell turns my stomach.
'Tis an acquired skill.
I remember Perks calling me to ask how far away Edinburgh was from where I stay and I swear I said, "About an hour and a half.":ROFL:
35. You can understand Rab C Nesbitt and know characters just like them in your own family.
Sadly, yes.
36. You go to Saltcoats because you think it's like being at the ocean.
Never been.
And proud of it!
No, no, no!
I do actually...
40. You've been at a wedding where the footie results were read out.
I've only been to one wedding. No, two. And this didn't apply. But I wouldn't be surprised.
41. You aren't surprised to find curries, pizzas, kebabs, Irn Bru, nappies and fags all for sale in one shop.
Uh...sadly, this is true.
42. Your seaside holiday home has Calor gas under it.
Doesn't apply but wouldn't surprise me...
Lucozade. Always lucozade. Sunny Delight is a bad idea, 'cause it tastes boggin' if you boak it back up.
44. You understand all the above and are going to send it to your pals.
tt42's already read it. :D
45. And, finally, you are 100 per cent Scottish if you have ever used these terms - "How's it hingin'?", "clatty", "boggin", "cludgie", "dreich", "bampot", "bawheid", "baw bag" and "dubble nugget.
I have used all of the above. And 'bawbag' makes me fall about laughing. :D
The sad thing is, I've been chatting with scarletpeaches long enough that I actually GET some of these...
Then my work here is done!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Irn Bru is an infallible hangover cure.

And the jelly piece song just brought back scary memories of singing that in school.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My mum's mince n' tatties is the best. Funnily enough, I've never learned to make it. Mince n' tatties and a nice fat mealy puddin', and bangers and mash are about the only Scottish food I can stomach. Although my daughter loves haggis.

And if you think the Scottish like to talk about the weather with random strangers, try the Canadians!

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's brilliant :D

Reminds me why English hubby thinks i'm a foreign freak, ha ha. Ach well, i'll be getting the haggis on in a wee while (no joke, but it is a veggie one...).

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're Scottish when you speak in perfect English and the American you're talking to has no IDEA what you've just said. :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heh, high score here, youse bampots.

-Derek

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you that are for real 'Scots' I am very impressed that you type such great Americanized English. Your spell check must go nuts. lol

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what on earth a bawbag is. :tongue

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I am 1/6 Scottish...but I don't understand any of this! LOL I would love to go to Scotland one day, I have heard it is beautiful. When I do, I will just have to smile and nod, because I know I won't understand anyone talking.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I am 1/6 Scottish...but I don't understand any of this! LOL I would love to go to Scotland one day, I have heard it is beautiful. When I do, I will just have to smile and nod, because I know I won't understand anyone talking.

Might I suggest you are very drunk when you visit?
1/ helps with the beautiful thingy (as most likely you won't be able to see beyond your fingers cos of the smog)
2/ helps with translation

I9 suggest this with a grest love of Scotland let me stress)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't understand what someone's saying, and you want to reply in Scottish, say, "I dinae ken." Unless, of course, you'd rather they speak to you in English. Then just say, "Huh?"

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't understand what someone's saying, and you want to reply in Scottish, say, "I dinae ken." Unless, of course, you'd rather they speak to you in English. Then just say, "Huh?"

Make sure it's in a strong American / Canadian accent.
Em, I dinae ken em is English... which is the whole point of...

I'd suggest the simpler "Dramm*?" - whilst nodding to the bottle of whiskey in your hand. Instant love all round.:)
* extra m for effect

Last edited:

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure it's in a strong American / Canadian accent.
I'd suggest the simpler "Dramm?" - whilst nodding to the bottle of whiskey in your hand. Instant love all round.:)

Ah, whiskey is the Irish spelling, whisky is the Scottish spelling. Or usually is, anyway.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
As a Canadian with a quarter Scottish blood in me and 3/8ths Welsh, I feel qualified to answer this and live in a city that was built by Scottish fur traders.

Will have to ask a Vancouverite about that.

Wendy's burgers?

I use aye.

We Canadians have our other gnarlies.

We do that anywhere. I don't particularly find that it is restricted to any specific region. Unless you live in Oklahoma and don't want to frighten your kids by what's going on outside.

Newfies are like that too. What's even more hilarious is that they get really defensive if you throw in a band from Nova Scotia when listing off bands.

Not really special. I can tell a Calgarian, Edmontonian, Kalyna, Queuey and Peace accents from each other and they are all from Alberta.

Have eaten haggis, oat cakes and mince 'n tatties.

I'm about half and half on this. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Here it's "yewp", "uhhuh", "arright" and "nope".

I understand that. Locally it would be "Yuh cann throw out bits out a 20 storey 'partment and tha' seven hundred hungry littluns'll confess to that. Ev'n more, you're sure that if it's margarine, cheese or jam, or if the bread is plain or flat, the odds against it reaching earth are 99 to one."

Well duh. Thought every house party was like that.

Canada's football team wouldn't even be up 2-0.

That I can and I can even pronounce Myfanwy, Blodeuwedd and Culhwch.

Calgarians know this better than the Scots do. Trust me.

We say that of Newfies.

It's done everywhere. Done in the states, done in Canada and done elsewhere.

Not hard.

Yep on that one.

Hockey here.

I like Irn Bru but haven't tried it as an ointment yet. Too scarce here to try that.

I use "boggin".

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

I like Irn Bru but haven't tried it as an ointment yet. Too scarce here to try that.

Ointment?! Where would you rub it?

I thought all hangover cures involved drinking something. So that's another things I've learned from this. :D

I went through a phase after the Glasgow Worldcon in 2005 of drinking big bottles of Irn Bru every week. And then suddenly, I had enough, and haven't touched it in years. This has got me imagining drinking it again. Must... resist...!