I need to sit down. On a stool. At a bar.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
<sigh> all that lovely yummy money. I wish I could write a book half as compelling as hers.

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
My computer won't allow me to access the link...would someone tell me what I'm missing?

~Ruby

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Text of linked story (and I STILL need to sit down):

Rowling Makes $36 Million in a Day
By WENN
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has added another $36 million to her fortune--only 24 hours after the sixth book of the boy wizard series went on sale. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince hit the shelves at one minute past midnight on July 16 to queues of ecstatic fans, and has already sold two million copies by closing time July 17.

When the last book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, was released in 2003, the rags-to-riches British author sold 1.7 million copies in the UK and 7 million in the US.

But her latest magical adventure is predicted to exceed all previous records, with publishing experts expecting worldwide sales in excess of 10 million.

An insider says, "All estimates are that this book will be even bigger than the last one. I think we should expect 2 million sales in Britain on the day of publication."

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
wow. I can't even begin to imagine...

Gindee77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guilty of enabling JKR's money-jones...

Did you add to that $36 mil? I know I did. Her books are so addicting. I'm hoping to learn how to write in that manner...so everyone MUST have the next one!

Shadow Otenaki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.animewish.net
I think we all wish we had that kind of audience.
I know I would. I'd go from broke to be the wealthiest person in my family, Lol. XD
And then I'd be like "Hah! And you thought I wouldn't amount to anything! I proved you wrong, you bastards! >.>"

CalicoBean

Registered
Reaction score
Gindee77 said:
Did you add to that $36 mil? I know I did.
So did I, and very much enjoyed it. How she manages to continue to write good books under all that pressure, I can't imagine.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
The trick is she's got SO much fodder for storylines at this point. A big cast of characters, all she has to do is pluck one out and write him in as a more major character in the next tale.

Who knew Neville would be such a big character when we first hear his name from Hermione on the Hogwarts Express, when he'd lost his toad??

I'm working sort of simultaneously on books two and three of my series, and I've found out how really neat that is to do. One character in book one, who has very minor amoung of dialouge, she's gone after half a page, will be big in book three.

It's SO cool to do it. When I thought of it, it was light a light clicked on, and I had a flash into JK Rowling's mind. Not really, but it must be what she feels like.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I’ve heard she is well over the billions figure totaling what all of her novels have brought her.
I don’t know for sure if that is right, but...

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
If that's not an incentive to start writing I don't know what is lol. I've only read three HP books so I can't really comment on her style, but she's obviously doing something right.

As a side note it looks like I'll never be changing my last name to my mom's maiden name. I'd be accused of being a rip-off. >.> ( Conversely, it's kind of nice to think that I may actually be related to the writer Beatrix Potter somehow. That's just what my mom says though, so I can't confirm it. Never hurts to dream a little. ;) )

~DragonHeart~

Jens22

The Trolley is Out There
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve heard she is well over the billions figure totaling what all of her novels have brought her.
I don’t know for sure if that is right, but...

Saw her on t.v. last weekend. She claims it's a total exaggeration that a magazine came up with. (Of course, who knows, she'll probably hit that mark some day . . . ) :)

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
:eek: I am now dreaming of writing a book that popular... dream has ended. I am now dreaming of seeing my book in a bookstore...dream continues...

Niesta

Canada's sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
When the series ends, there's gonna be a lot of hungry readers out there. Mark my words.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
In our Canadian Reader's Digest, there was this tidbit.

Last year, Oprah made $210 million US, Rowling made $147 million US, and Jim Carry made $66 million US.

Talk about WOW!

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
DJP said:
In our Canadian Reader's Digest, there was this tidbit.

Last year, Oprah made $210 million US, Rowling made $147 million US, and Jim Carry made $66 million US.

Talk about WOW!
Yes, but two of them don't turn on the waterworks and lament, "No one believes I'm still the same person I was before I became rich and famous!" in EVERY interview.