PDA

View Full Version : Atsiko's Chimney

Liosse de Velishaf
10-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I started this blog on the first of October, oddly.

It's been near a month, and I have a little over a thousand views. I used to get more comments, but no so much now. The average viewers per day seems to be rising steadily.

I thought I'd ask for a few reviews now. What do people think I could change? Are there any issues with my writing style? etc...

Linky: Atsiko's Chimney (http://atsiko.wordpress.com/)

DavidZahir
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, I'm pretty impressed by your content--the kind of serious discussion of the craft and techniques of storytelling I like. It does seem rather dry in style, but that is personal taste only.

Your gadgets on the side seem...odd. For the life of me I cannot figure out the purpose of some of them, like a Calendar or Recent Posts. The Category Cloud is just plain fun, but I'd probably want it higher on the page--again, personal taste.

I find the text a little small, and the "look" of the blog a tad dull, especially given the fantastical nature of the fiction you seem describing. My own blog nearly always includes at least one picture or more, rather like a magazine article. Again, personal taste although in this case I do think that would make the blog more arresting to the eye.

I've added a link to your blog on my own.

Liosse de Velishaf
10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
The Calendar organizes posts by date. Recent posts makes note of recent posts. I assume they are there to help people who don't subscribe find posts they haven't read. They seem to be pretty much a fixture on a lot of the blogs I've been to. I guess there's no reason not to move the category cloud nearer to the top. I'll consider that.

Glad you liked the content. That's my main focus.

The reason the blog looks a bit "dull" is because I'm using a basic wordpress template. If you know anywhere to find good free templates that will work with a wordpress hosted blog, don't hesitate to suggest them.

The pictures is an issue of copryright. I'm not really up on the latest fair use rules, and I'm not in a position really to take and upload pictures myself. I'm open to suggestions there as well.

Thanks for the link and the review. I really appreciate it.

veinglory
10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
When I see posts on the craft posted with an authoritative tone, my first thought is to check who is writing them. IMHO you about page doesn't set you up as particularly expecrt (e.g. published?) and was a put off-putting to me. Just my impression. You can discuss the same topics in a peer-to-peer way or resting on academic expertise or citation but that isn't how your posts currently read, to me. YMMV.

Liosse de Velishaf
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
That's a good point, and something that has been worrying me.

I've been sort of vacillating on exactly what angle to come at the topics from. I think you "authoritative tone" is what David was refering to as a "dry voice", and it does sort of imply that I have a great heap of academic or professional credentials--which, like you said, doesn't exactly fit with the "About page".

I've been trying to move the tone more towards a "fellow reader" conversation, but that still doesn't provide much ethos to support my rather absolute declarations of how the craft works.

From the opposite perspective, did you find anything you disagreed with particularly strongly in any of the posts? It's quite true that I don't have anything to back me up except what I know and have learned as a(n unpublished) writer, and as a reader.

So, as I see it, the only option I have that would allow me to continue writing about the topics I do is to be logically consistent, make sense and generally fit with what people know of writing--ie, supporting my claims with relevant examples from published works, and not contradict previous statements to avoid appearing to have made a mistake.

Well, obviously, I could a) get some sort of english or creative writin degree and publish some work--which I don't plan on doing, or b) get a book or five published, which indirectly supports my claim to know what the hell I'm talking about--which I do plan to do, but it won't be happening soon enough to address your completely justified response.

veinglory
10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
No, actually I thought the content stood up fairly well on its own merits--although it wasn't really in an area of interest for me.

Liosse de Velishaf
10-29-2009, 11:07 PM
No, actually I thought the content stood up fairly well on its own merits--although it wasn't really in an area of interest for me.

Well, then that's the best I can do for now. If it sounds good to someone it's not targeted at, then it's on pretty solid ground--even if I'm not.