Question about autoerotic asphyxiation

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
From my limited research, this seems to be a solitary practice. But I'm wondering if there is a "scene" where adults (as opposed to experimenting kids) do this together, or talk about it.

I ask because I want one of my characters to be emailing someone about it, kind of a wild goose chase for the MC. I know there are bdsm get-togethers, spanking parties etc, but I'm not sure if the same goes for autoerotic asphyxiation. Anyone prepared to admit to knowing the answer?!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There are groups for everything else. Why not that? If they don't exist, would anyone complain about your story? If two people complain, send them each other's contact information.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
don't know the answer, but there's a group for every kink imaginable. regardless, does it really matter if there's a RL scene? write it.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe OT, but there is a school of thought that lead singer of INXS, Michael Hutchence, died while practising this very thing. He was alone when it happened, though.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
A couple of actors/celebrities come to mind... and there was an episode of Six Feet Under that exposed the kink in detail. Whatever yanks your chain. But with autoerotic translating as do it to yourself, perhaps another term would have to be used for group asphyxiation activity?

-Derek

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if there's a scene or not, but people have done this together for years. I used to go to S&M clubs, but I didn't see this around until Robert Chambers strangled Jennifer Levin and claimed that they were doing it when he killed her.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
This is played out in Rising Sun. The girl who's killed does it with a partner. The book goes into more detail than the movie.

Also not too long ago it was big on the news the kids were calling it the Black Out Game. Where they or someone else would choke them until they passed out.

I don't know if it's still popular but quite a few kids died.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've known people online who did this with a partner. One actively sought to be deprived of oxygen as s/he neared orgasm, and the other complied by careful strangulation, making every effort to leave no marks. This being real people and all, they played only with trusted partners, usually long-time marriages or other stable relationships. Of the very few couples I knew who did this, nobody shared any stories of injuries or close calls.

Knowing people do it in twos, I'd have no problem accepting a fictional concept in which it's done in a club or party setting, the participants observed by others for both their own arousal and the participant's safety. I can also buy into it going awry when someone insists the player is still all right, don't let go of the throat quite yet, and so on.

My understanding is that solo players do accidentally kill themselves on occasion, and that families or spouses, coroners, even some cops, cover it up as a courtesy to the family.

Maryn, who's known all kinds of people online

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Here is an informational story: Brief history of erotic asphyxiation

I do not personally know of any clubs for fans of this practice, but I can almost guarantee there are some out there. I've been to a few places where such a thing would be entirely plausible. It's hard to find info on google, especially when some of the links refer to "Exotic Affixation."

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
This is why some people like to have an audience for it--to avoid accidentally killing themselves. So...it wouldn't strike me as odd in the internet age for people to form a group specifically for the purpose of providing a safety net, plus the added titillation of watching someone else do it. Not that I would know anything about this personally.

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
It's a fairly rare kink as far as I'm aware, mostly because it's one of the kinks that is unsafe and therefore frowned upon by the community.

I've never heard of a group version or seen anyone do it but it's plausible that you might see someone do it at a fetish/bdsm club for display purposes.

I have lots of experience with the English fetish scene - see the LondonFetishScene website.

There are probably other choices of kink for what you want to accomplish, how about letting us know what the goal/plot is and maybe we can make some suggestions.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I just read that the idea of erotic asphyxiation came from people who were hanged. They would get an erection and sometimes it stayed after they were dead. It was used for erectile dysfunction a long time ago. I'd love to see that commercial.