Conclusive proof: New Yorkers are insane!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's a rat, but I teared up. It's a sad pic. I hope someone did help the rat.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Wish you hadn't posted that. Now I'm gonna cry. I feel so sorry for the little guy. If I were there, I'd try to get him out. Then again, when we had mice at home, I'd catch them and take them outside to release them.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

I have no idea why I find that so funny, but I do.

He does look sad, tho.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
If the pic is genuine, then I'm truly sympathetic.

The vast majority of the comments disgust me. I hope the people commenting there are not representative of the world's internet users in general.

Gemnyc

reading 24/7
Registered
Reaction score

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I used to walk my dog through the meat district on west 14th street, and the rats were the size of cats.

I stopped eating meat.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I had salukis, and they're ratters, so one night Sehkmet stuck her head into a dark doorway, yanked out a five pounder and snapped it's neck and dropped it front of me like "Here ya go"

I didn't go near her for a week.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still chuckling... oh my.

The rats in NYC can be huge! The only bigger ones I've seen were at an RJR plant where they keep the flavorings. Those are legendary in these parts.

If it were a squirrel, btw, I'm sure I'd care. A chipmunk? Oooh, I'd save the poor thing :)

Gemnyc

reading 24/7
Registered
Reaction score
Last weekend, after dinner, I went for a romantic walk to the park by Statue of Liberty. Got cozy with hubby on a bench and something touched his leg. We jumped up and a squirrel ran out. Ok, rodent, but harmless cute squirrel. However, it was followed by a big rat. We hurried off but had to change route again when a guy was throwing up in a bin. Didn’t really turn out to be the most romantic of walks.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I was coming out of the transverse on 95th street one night and saw this small dog come out of the park and walk up to the garbage can near the corner. It then proceeded to climb the can and stand on the top. It was a frickin raccoon.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Oh, we fight with raccoons all the time here. And skunks and squirrels and mice. No rats, though.

I used to live trap the mice that made their way into the house but after a few years I gave up the humane approach. They just keep coming back. They know when they have a good thing going.

My old cat Trixie used to bring mice INTO the house and release them. Stupid old cow. Now, the new cat Ridley dispatches them without muss and fuss. He finds them in the basement, I pick him up, mouse and all and let him play out in the enclosed porch. Next morning, a mouse to dispose of.

It used to be a bloody affair, but I think he figured if it doesn't move anymore, it's no fun.

I know it's heartless, but sometimes you get desensitized by things. My neighbour Uncle Bob had no qualms about putting down dogs, cats, pigs and cows if they weren't useful anymore.

I still feel bad for that poor rat.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I love the stories!

I had my big dog on a long leash after sundown, and he was poking into the bushes. He did your dog's neck-snap move, Wayne, and brought out a limp rat as big as a cat - I saw the tail. Turns out it was a possum, thank god!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The opossums in Marcus Hook PA used to play with the cats. It was strange to watch.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Repulsive rat story: my old boss at summer camp had a cat named Georgie-Boy (actually, he was incorrectly determined to be a girl kitten and his given name was Georgia, but that's another story) who liked to hunt. He would release injured snakes and birds in the house about once a day. His worst offense was one night, during a dinner party, he ran in the window carrying a monstrous rat, ran into the living room, dropped it at his owners feet, flipped it onto its back, and used a single claw to slit the rat open from gullet to tail exposing all its guts. What a kind and thoughtful kitty! It's always polite to bring something when you come to a dinner party.

PS When I look at that poor NYC rat it makes me think of Ratty from WInd in the WIllows and then I feel sad. Poor ratty. I hope someone freed him.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I used to have pet rats too. They were much more docile than hamsters. I've had hamsters before too. Squirrels are a pain in the arse, they're always digging up my plants and bulbs, and planting corn in my flowerbeds. My outdoor kitty Jake caught a mouse the other day while I was planting the rest of the plants that needed to be in the ground and proceeded to eat the whole thing in front of me, in about five minutes. Gross, but at least he ate it and didn't just leave the carcass on the patio.