PDA

View Full Version : Irrational fears - what scares you?

Rowan
10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
In honor of Halloween:
Are you scared of something for no reason? I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm scared of the...............................
Praying mantis!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/278635073_883bd891ec.jpg
I'm not sure why but there is just something about this critter that just creeps me out. :scared: Even this picture is making my skin crawl! And that one episode of Buffy: TVS didn't help either.

I'm also afraid of clowns but I blame Stephen King for that (IT)...
http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/03/pennywise-the-clown.jpg

So, what are your irrational fears??

DL Hegel
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't like elevators...

Lavern08
10-23-2009, 06:20 PM
#1 - Mice and/or Rats

#2 - Clowns

#3 - Midgets

:cry:

Rowan
10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
#1 - Mice and/or Rats

#2 - Clowns

#3 - Midgets

:cry:

I work with a guy who is afraid of #2 and #3 --- he almost got off an airplane because of #3!

Jersey Chick
10-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Clowns (I blame Steven Spielberg for that - stupid Poltergeist clown!)

Snakes - the only good snake is a dead one, as far as I'm concerned.

Monkeys - they just. scare. me.

spamwarrior
10-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Zombies.

YAwriter72
10-23-2009, 06:34 PM
OMG the "It" clown. Hands down. Clowns in general, but that one *shudder*

And snakes. I can't even look at pictures. I absolutely panic at the mere thought. (I am certain they are stalking me just waiting for the chance to attack) Irrationality at its finest folks.

Rowan
10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
OMG the "It" clown. Hands down. Clowns in general, but that one *shudder*

And snakes. I can't even look at pictures. I absolutely panic at the mere thought. (I am certain they are stalking me just waiting for the chance to attack) Irrationality at its finest folks.

[bolding is mine]
:ROFL: OMG, I'm with you...I was outside pulling weeds once and I'm convinced a praying mantis was stalking me. The thing crept up on me and it was WATCHING me!! I moved and the little alien head swiveled... I had to go inside.

YAwriter72
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
[bolding is mine]
:ROFL: OMG, I'm with you...I was outside pulling weeds once and I'm convinced a praying mantis was stalking me. The thing crept up on me and it was WATCHING me!! I moved and the little alien head swiveled... I had to go inside.

THANK YOU!! My hubs thinks I'm crazy!!!! :roll: (There is one that only comes out when I'm outside and only I see it!!!)

~*Kate*~
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Clowns. And eels.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SIplqbUYRBI/AAAAAAAAHCM/jNIYAeq5q1U/s400/Green+Moray+Eel.jpg
That's scary shit right there.

AnonymousWriter
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
People being sick.

Heights, spiders, insects? No problem with them, but god help me if anyone vomits near me.

YAwriter72
10-23-2009, 07:00 PM
People being sick.

Heights, spiders, insects? No problem with them, but god help me if anyone vomits near me.

Kids cured me of that one, LOL I can eat while they are yakking next to my chair now.

Gemnyc
10-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a total paranoid fear of ventriloquist dolls. Literally, my heart starts pounding and I feel sick when I see one. I think it was brought on by watching a black and white movie as a young kid, where the dummy is fricking evil.
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/dSilence3.jpg

Hate mannequins as well, but not as bad. I think itís anything that looks life like, but isnít.

Clowns to, especially robotic ones you get encased at fairgrounds, the ones that cackle at you.

So this a treat *sweaty palms, racing heart, brief panic attack*
http://co112w.col112.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=262455e1-bfe5-11de-ba40-00215ad8013e&Aux=14|0|8CC22090FB1FC10||

Jcomp
10-23-2009, 07:11 PM
roaches. *shivers*

spamwarrior
10-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Clowns as well.

Rowan
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I should add: Camelback crickets...
http://nationalpestexpertsus.com/mediac/400_0/media/Camelback$20Cricket.jpg

WendyNYC
10-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Sharks. Which doesn't seem irrational until you realize that I think about them even when swimming in a pool.

Mela
10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
In 1998 I was a student at Rutgers and during summer took the urban adventure class that met on Fridays and trekked out into different areas of NYC.

One class trip was to the World Trade Center. We got a tour of an area roughly five-six floors below street level, near where the bomb went off in the 1990s. I told my teacher afterwards that it unnerved me to be so far down with so much building on top of me...
and he tossed it aside, saying, "You have to ask yoursef why you have such an irrational fear."

Even on the GWB - I have to be on the top deck. I don't like being under... the Hudson River via any tunnel or stopped under a bridge. Makes me anxious.

Priene
10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Tomato Ketchup.

Mela
10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Another class trip involved a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - I had no problem with that, and would have sailed through it enjoyably had someone not told me about a cable that snapped off years ago and killed someone ...

kayleamay
10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm afraid that a hand is going to reach out from under the bed and grab my foot if I let it dangle off.

I'm afraid to open the curtains when I'm home alone at night...because in the back of my mind I think I'm going to see a giant scary face looking through at me.

I'm afraid to swim in murky water because I'm convinced there are dead bodies in there, just below my feet.

I'm afraid of those stupid screamer e-mails that everyone sends out at Halloween.

Basically, I'm afraid of being startled.

Rowan
10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Tomato Ketchup.

Is it the color? :D

Leah J. Utas
10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
My top three fears:

1. Clowns.

2. Clowns.

3. Clowns.

I'm pretty sure I'm scared of other stuff, too, but everything pales in comparison to clowns.

TabithaTodd
10-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I have sidonglobophobia (phobia of cotton balls) and sialophobia (fear of spitting).

I'm weird.

WendyNYC
10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm afraid to open the curtains when I'm home alone at night...because in the back of my mind I think I'm going to see a giant scary face looking through at me.

Ooh, like that scary ghost-kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y) in Salem's Lot? ::shivers::

Rowan
10-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Okay, I'm getting ready to go to Wegman's. I'm telling you this because in order to get to my car I must walk by the mantis who inspired this thread... it's right outside the front door! Waiting for me... :scared:

Hopefully... I'll be back!
http://bp0.blogger.com/_-bYaXed-rQU/R3akI0CxtxI/AAAAAAAAALA/UTPpqFdi2R0/s400/praying-mantis.jpg

Tepelus
10-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Needles, and blood. Ironic since I like vampires.

Gemnyc
10-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm scared of other stuff, too, but everything pales in comparison to clowns.

I think we have a clear favorite. Or not favorite if you know what I mean!

Priene
10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Is it the color? :D

It's the feel. Sticky, slimy, nasty. I can't bear even to pick a bottle up. Funnily enough, I don't mind the taste.

YAwriter72
10-23-2009, 08:34 PM

The windows in my house don't have shades or curtains, but I refuse to look directly at them at night. I'm afraid a face will suddenly appear.

And I know exactly where this one came from. My step father used to put on this hideous mask when we were younger and sneak out and just stand outside looking in until someone noticed.

I'm also scared of the dark, because they used to take us to old run down abandoned houses at night and then run off and leave my sis and I alone in the dark.

Okay, I just realized how totally HORRIBLE my mom and stepfather were growing up! LOL Jeez people!

On a side note, my sis used to sit on her sofa with a shotgun in her lap whenever her husband was gone overnight. She warned everyone NOT to come sneaking around the house or she would shoot them.

StoryG27
10-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm sacred of fish and fish-like creatures. All because of a nightmare I had when I was about 6. I'm not as bad as I used to be, I won't scream when I'm near one anymore.

Tink
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm afraid that a hand is going to reach out from under the bed and grab my foot if I let it dangle off.

I'm afraid to swim in murky water because I'm convinced there are dead bodies in there, just below my feet.

I'm afraid of those stupid screamer e-mails that everyone sends out at Halloween.

Basically, I'm afraid of being startled.Yeap! This basically sums me up too.

YAwriter72
10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm sacred of fish and fish-like creatures. All because of a nightmare I had when I was about 6. I'm not as bad as I used to be, I won't scream when I'm near one anymore.

*picturing storygirl walking through the seafood section at the grocery and suddenly screaming her head off* :D

icerose
10-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm claustrophobic. I can't cuddle face to face with my husband for more than a minute before I feel like I'm being smothered to death. Just having someone's face that close to mine and sharing my air gets me almost to a panic phase. It really interferes with kissing too because every so often I have to turn my head and gasp in fresh air so I don't wig out. And I love kissing, it's just that irrational fear of not being able to breath. I think it's because of my asthma.

I get squicked over heights but I still go on roller coasters and stare out the windows of tall buildings down to the ground and go rapelling because I don't want to feel limited by my own fears. Even though my whole body will shake I do it anyway.

Clowns and dolls bother me. Especially the porcelean dolls that stare with those blank glass eyes.

Umm, portraits in the dark, those ones where the eyes seem to follow you wherever you go.

Dark spaces. For some reason I always half expect some dark creature of evil to come crawling out after me.

CDarklock
10-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm afraid of heights in a weird way. If I can hold onto or touch something, anything, no matter how unstable - I'm fine.

So when I was living in New York, and spent an appreciable amount of time on rooftops, I carried a cane. It wouldn't have helped a bit, but somehow just having my hand on it made me feel better... I could even stand right at the edge and look down. Hand on a cane? No problem.

Rowan
10-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm claustrophobic. I can't cuddle face to face with my husband for more than a minute before I feel like I'm being smothered to death. Just having someone's face that close to mine and sharing my air gets me almost to a panic phase. It really interferes with kissing too because every so often I have to turn my head and gasp in fresh air so I don't wig out. And I love kissing, it's just that irrational fear of not being able to breath. I think it's because of my asthma.

Oh yeah... Not being able to breathe!! :(

tjwriter
10-23-2009, 09:28 PM

The windows in my house don't have shades or curtains, but I refuse to look directly at them at night. I'm afraid a face will suddenly appear.

And I know exactly where this one came from. My step father used to put on this hideous mask when we were younger and sneak out and just stand outside looking in until someone noticed.

I'm afraid to look out of windows at night. As soon as it starts getting dark, I go around closing the curtains and blinds.

My good reason is that when I was little my parents were visiting with some company in the living room and I was playing in my bedroom like a good little girl when I heard a noise at my window. I looked up and a man was looking in the window at me. I screamed, he disappeared. My dad and one of the people visiting us searched outside. All they found were a bunch of muddy footprints below my window and the screen resting against the house.

I'm more than likely going to hit you if you startle me.

Gretad08
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm totally with Icerose...if my husband rolls over in the middle of the night and we're face to face, no matter how comfortable I am, I'll turn the other way. I can't stand it.

I hate heights...

This last one combines two fears...I'm not afraid of the dark and although I'm not a fan of bugs I'm not afraid of them either...combine the two however, and I'm ridiculous.

If I'm outside at night and there isn't sufficient lighting I'm pretty sure that some giant man-eating bug is feasting on me without my knowledge. Or they're crawling all over me.

Dicentra P
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Bridges and Tunnels. I commute every morning in denial.

My older girl was terrified of Ronald McDonald, Shrek and Spiderman. She's OK now but we couldn't take her into the McDonalds or the Walmart (8 foot tall creepy statue of Ronald) and her worst threat of punishment was dad pulling out his phone to call Ronald.

icerose
10-23-2009, 10:51 PM
My oldest daughter has a real problem with lightning. It's a good thing we live in Utah with 10 inches of rain a year.

Here's what happened, though she doesn't remember it. When she was 18 months old she went for a sleep over with her aunt. Her aunt lived at that time in a house with a metal roof. The house was still being finished so there was nothing between that metal roof and them, they could see it.

A lightning storm kicked up and a lightning bolt struck the roof sending lightning crawling all through the ceiling in the room she was staying in. It even freaked her aunt out. Luckily the house was solid wood being a wood cabin style house and the lightning didn't go beyond blowing out all the electrical fixtures in the house.

So unfortunately we can't even comfort her with the "We're inside so it's okay, the lightning can't come in."

Umm, yeah it did.

She's 8 now and still screams whenever she sees lightning or hears thunder for the first time each storm.

meeeeegin
10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
frogs with holes in their backs

Red-Green
10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Yup. Clowns and cockroaches.

Oh, and small babies. What? Jeez. I like kids just fine, but really small babies, like less than six months old, they scare the crap out of me.

The thing about being face to face with someone also upsets me, but I never classified it as an irrational fear. It just creeps me out to be in such close proximity to another human.

Rarri
10-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Moomins and marionettes.

Shudder.

Rowan
10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Oh, and small babies. What? Jeez. I like kids just fine, but really small babies, like less than six months old, they scare the crap out of me.

Me too! People bring babies to work and expect you to coo over them .... I run away.

meeeeegin
10-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Yup. Clowns and cockroaches.

The thing about being face to face with someone also upsets me, but I never classified it as an irrational fear. It just creeps me out to be in such close proximity to another human.

AW!

Shadow_Ferret
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I still have an irrational fear of the dark. I think it's because of my imagination. As soon as I turn out the lights my imagination starts "seeing" all sorts of creepy things reaching out for me.

I'm also claustrophobic and have a fear of heights.

I don't like elevators...

Yeah, I usually take the stairs unless it's like 20 floors.

jennifer75
10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I have an active imagination...I am irrationally yet rationally afraid of many things....lately I imagine being mowed down in a crosswalk. I fear that as I step into or out of an elevator, just as one foot is out of, or inside of, the vestibule, it suddenly drops crushing me in half, down the middle. Horrifying thoughts. I also fear faulty gas lines in cars, exploding upon ignition. I don't always have that fear though, just sometimes. ;) I fear having to escape out of my apartment bedroom window, 3 flights up, with no fire escape or ladder.

To make things worse, I'm a mother of a young boy. A whole batch of fears come with being one of those.

Shadow_Ferret
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I have an active imagination...I am irrationally yet rationally afraid of many things....lately I imagine being mowed down in a crosswalk. I fear that as I step into or out of an elevator, just as one foot is out of, or inside of, the vestibule, it suddenly drops crushing me in half, down the middle. Horrifying thoughts. I also fear faulty gas lines in cars, exploding upon ignition. I don't always have that fear though, just sometimes. ;) I fear having to escape out of my apartment bedroom window, 3 flights up, with no fire escape or ladder.

To make things worse, I'm a mother of a young boy. A whole batch of fears come with being one of those.

I thought I was the only one who walked around thinking about all the horrible ways that everything around me could kill me.

jennifer75
10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Monkeys - they just. scare. me.
Did this story make it to the East Coast?

http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409-3?src=digg

Warning, graphic photo.

I, too, scared of monkeys.

jennifer75
10-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought I was the only one who walked around thinking about all the horrible ways that everything around me could kill me.

Isn't it horrible!

Shadow_Ferret
10-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Did this story make it to the East Coast?

http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409-3?src=digg

Warning, graphic photo.

I, too, scared of monkeys.

Gah. I hate stories like that! I didn't have a fear of chimps before, but I do now.

Gemnyc
10-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Remembered another ‘inanimate object in human form’ that I have an irrational fear of – Scarecrows. Especially thinking of the ones in a Doctor Who Episode a few years back.

Freelancer
10-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Irrational fears - what / who scares you?

1. Height
2. Unpredictable cheeky blond woman, a.k.a. my girlfriend. Never face with a furious and intelligent blondie. :D

meeeeegin
10-23-2009, 11:57 PM
The thought of possibly being pregnant

Church Lady
10-24-2009, 12:00 AM
The Chuckie doll
Scorpions

StoryG27
10-24-2009, 12:31 AM
My oldest daughter has a real problem with lightning. It's a good thing we live in Utah with 10 inches of rain a year.

My 12 yr old daughter is terrified of storms. We moved out here when she was 7, and she was never scared of storms in Colorado. But now she thinks every storm will produce a tornado. She is practically hysterical when we are in a tornado waring, or when the tornado alarms by our house are sounding. I think she's passed that fear onto my son, who is a little better if she isn't around during the storm.

She also has a terrible fear of certain boats. I tell ya, you almost sink a boat one time with her on board, and she just won't let you live it down.

I'm with you and jennifer75. I am constantly imagining all the torturous ways disaster could strike no matter what situation I'm in. jennifer75, I have had the exact same thought about the elevator, now I know you're weird, because I know I am. But I don't get really afraid, even when I'm thinking these macabre thoughts. I'm more like, "Hmm, that would hurt. Or that would suck." But I usually don't get worked up about the thoughts (or I'd be insane because I have them often). I'm even weirder that way. I'm not saying that if I'm having that thought about an elevator, my heart doesn't beat a little faster as I step off it, because it does, but it never stops me from getting on in the first place.

Ellefire
10-24-2009, 12:32 AM
I have a few of the 'normal' ones; the dark, heights, moths to an extent. The one people think is weird is my fear of lawnmowers. I will not use them. Or strimmers, food processors, electric knives, chainsaws or hedgetrimmers. urgh. Nightmare.

I feel it's an entirely reasonable fear, you could lose a finger in a flash.

YAwriter72
10-24-2009, 12:39 AM
OMG I keep remembering more and more! Wind freaks me out. I can handle lightening and thunder, but really gusty wind makes me crawl into a corner and cower.

Its a wonder I can even leave the house, stalker snakes and the wind monsters out there just waiting for me.

som1luvsmi
10-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Driving over bridges and high overpasses....and mountain roads.

I think I may actually have an acute fear of heights.

Rowan
10-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Driving over bridges and high overpasses....and mountain roads.

I think I may actually have an acute fear of heights.

Come on....you know what you're really afraid of... that Eric will leave True Blood!!!

backslashbaby
10-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Big waves. Especially if it's a rocky beach. I can't watch surfing movies.

Elaine Margarett
10-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Irrational? All my fears are rational. Give me a scenario like daughter going on a field trip and I can come up with a host of possible and even probable horrific outcomes.

I blame my Irish mother who like to control us kids by throwing out all manner of dire predicitons as we walked out the door. It doesn't help that my vivid imagination is always, always on.

I'm hoping medication helps. <g>

And the fear of Preying Manitis~ My son-in-law admitted to us on our last visit that he's afraid of them. Daughter gave my hubby a Preying Mantis lawn scupture that's pretty cool looking. Son-in-law couldn't wait to get it out of their house.

I don't like clowns, but I don't especially fear them. I just don't trust anyone who hides behind a mask, or a drawn on face.

RaineeRose
10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Heights, spiders, drowning, closed spaces ... let me think about this some more.

Rowan
10-24-2009, 01:23 AM
And the fear of Preying Manitis~ My son-in-law admitted to us on our last visit that he's afraid of them. Daughter gave my hubby a Preying Mantis lawn scupture that's pretty cool looking. Son-in-law couldn't wait to get it out of their house.

He's a smart, smart man! Check this out -- they're evil:

The praying mantis is a carnivorous insect that takes up a deceptively humble posture when it is searching for food. When at rest, the mantis' front forelegs are held up together in a posture that looks like its praying. ... The mantid bites the neck of its prey to paralyze it and begins to devour it. The mantis almost always starts eating the insect while it's still alive, and almost always starts eating from the insect's neck. ... The praying mantises also eat vertebrates such as small tree frogs, lizards, mice and hummingbirds. Praying mantids can resemble flowers and can catch small, unknowing hummingbirds. Praying mantids also eat other nesting birds.

Elaine Margarett
10-24-2009, 01:27 AM
He's a smart, smart man! Check this out -- they're evil:

The female also kills the male after mating and eats him, unless he's quick enough to get away.

Rowan
10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
The female also kills the male after mating and eats him, unless he's quick enough to get away.

Talk about performance anxiety! :D

writeronfire
10-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm not afraid of anything.

Xelebes
10-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I have a fear of wasps and bees.

cray
10-24-2009, 01:38 AM
i fear calendars.

DL Hegel
10-24-2009, 01:40 AM
i fear calendars.

At least it wasn't a monkey or sheep calendar...

I fear that!

backslashbaby
10-24-2009, 01:40 AM
No need for performance anxiety in the Preying Mantis world. The female eats the male's head off while mating, actually. He finishes better without his brain. Srsly!

Rowan
10-24-2009, 01:43 AM
You guys seem to know an awful lot about Preying Mantis sex... :Wha:

:D

ETA: I mean PRAYING mantis sex. Don't want to make them angry and give them any reason to come after me.............

backslashbaby
10-24-2009, 01:44 AM
You guys seem to know an awful lot about Preying Mantis sex... :Wha:

:D

:D I have no idea why I know that, btw.

cray
10-24-2009, 01:45 AM

excellent point.

Rowan
10-24-2009, 01:52 AM

I fear that!

You know I have to say it...or a freaking praying mantis calendar. 12 months of terror!

benbradley
10-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I fear having to tell this guy "she's nothing but a pretty face:"

http://www.musicalgearbox.com/hansonrobotics_com.jpg

RaineeRose
10-24-2009, 02:31 AM
I fear having to tell this guy "she's nothing but a pretty face:"

http://www.musicalgearbox.com/hansonrobotics_com.jpg

:roll:

GeorgeK
10-24-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm not afraid of anything.

ring ring

ring ring

ring ring

"Hello?"... "Yeah, just a minute," (clomps downstairs and yells,)

"It's for you. It's the IRS!"

DWSTXS
10-24-2009, 03:00 AM
cold hands touching me.

snakes.

heights.

Susie
10-24-2009, 03:07 AM
*cold hands touching Doyle.* bwahahaha. LOL. That's really my evil twin, Gert doing that, not me, honest. :D

My biggest fear is dentists. I shudder at the mere mention of them. *shudder*

Rowan
10-24-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm also afraid of those e-mails people constantly send around that promise an untimely death if you in turn don't forward to at least fifty-thousand other people in 0.02 seconds flat... ;)

Ken
10-24-2009, 03:17 AM
... fear itself ;-)

spamwarrior
10-24-2009, 03:17 AM
omg dis rly wrkks It dos!!!!!!1!1!!

DWSTXS
10-24-2009, 03:27 AM
I just remembered this one too:

(and this is for REAL, I'm not making this s*** up, so don't laugh at me)

when someone calls me on the phone and sings Happy Birthday to me! My Mom and my ex Mother-in-Law do this, and it creeps me out to no end. I've asked them to stop, and now, when I see their number on my phone, around B'day time (Sept) I just immediately delete the msg.

(also, I must add this. . .my M-i-L sings it in that freaky creepy-sexy Marilyn Monroe voice)

Ugh!

EFCollins
10-24-2009, 03:57 AM
The dark. Friggin. Terrifies. Me.

I can't be in the dark. My reasons are my own and I won't share them, but if you want to see one freaked out bitch, then you put me in the dark. I'll literally piss myself. No joke.

Heights.

Two steps up a ladder, I'm fine. Three steps, I'm whimpering. The fourth, I'm screaming for "someonetocomegetmethefuckdown-nowrightgoddamnnow!" Yeah. Hysterics!

Drains. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm always afraid something is gonna come up out of the drain and just... no. Ssshhh. Just, no.

Silver King
10-24-2009, 04:55 AM

And I know exactly where this one came from. My step father used to put on this hideous mask when we were younger and sneak out and just stand outside looking in until someone noticed...
Damn. I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to traumatize children like that...

I'm sacred of fish and fish-like creatures.
Um, let's not get personal here. ;)

writeronfire
10-24-2009, 04:58 AM
ring ring
ring ring
ring ring
"Hello?"... "Yeah, just a minute," (clomps downstairs and yells,)

"It's for you. It's the IRS!"

Still not scared. My boyfriend works for the IRS.

Silver King
10-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Boy, you're a tough one to frighten!

How about if your username was changed to, Writer's-hair-is-on-fire, and someone chased you around with lighter fluid and a lit match? Wouldn't that be scary? :D

thethinker42
10-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Okay, everyone else stuck their necks out, so...

Ladders (but not heights)

Hypodermic needles (but not tattoo or acupuncture needles)

Flying

Blue Chevy Astro Vans (No, I don't know why. No, I'm not kidding.)

Scarletpeaches

writeronfire
10-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Boy, you're a tough one to frighten!

How about if your username was changed to, Writer's-hair-is-on-fire, and someone chased you around with lighter fluid and a lit match? Wouldn't that be scary? :D

Nope.

DL Hegel
10-24-2009, 05:50 AM
I think you really fear Don Dixon... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOwoWlyDpE)
You know I have to say it...or a freaking praying mantis calendar. 12 months of terror!

Silver King
10-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Nope.
You're not making this easy!

What if you were held by the ankles atop a one thousand foot drop by someone with sweaty palms and ill intent who spoke in a gravelly voice and threatened to release his hold unless you admitted to be scared by the prospect of smashing upon the sharp rocks below at seventy miles per hour without benefit of a helmet?

Would that cause your heart to flutter just a little?

Rowan
10-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I think you really fear Don Dixon... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOwoWlyDpE)

Oh only a disturbed individual writes a song and calls it 'praying mantis' :ROFL:

Now if Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars) took a stab at it... ;)

Rowan
10-24-2009, 05:58 AM

What if you were held by the ankles atop a one thousand foot drop by someone with sweaty palms and ill intent who spoke in a gravelly voice and threatened to release his hold unless you admitted to be scared by the prospect of smashing upon the sharp rocks below at seventy miles per hour without benefit of a helmet?

Maybe she'd be taken aback if a 10 foot praying mantis knocked on her door... or jumped out from behind a dumpster. They eat their prey while it's still alive! :Wha:

writeronfire
10-24-2009, 06:05 AM

No one would do that to me. I'm too nice.

DL Hegel
10-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Oh only a disturbed individual writes a song and calls it 'praying mantis' :ROFL:

I can't comment on his disturbidness, I never met him...but I did meet his wife at one of her after show parties...she was very nice but took a lot of pictures...

Hmmmm...

Maybe Mr. Leto will cover the song?

thethinker42
10-24-2009, 06:14 AM

*swoons*

Silver King
10-24-2009, 06:27 AM
No one would do that to me. I'm too nice.
You're right. And the chances of that happening would be very slim if not impossible. :)

I've been wavering about revealing what scares me most because it doesn't seem that frightening to most people, but I have a sickening fear of rats. I don't know why, but they give me the willies unlike any other life form.

I've faced death a couple of times, truly, and it didn't scare me as much as seeing a rat out of the corner of my eye, let alone in plain view.

backslashbaby
10-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Ooops. Don't go to my New Yorker thread, then!

augusto
10-24-2009, 06:34 AM
That Burger King mascot with the big head.

rhymegirl
10-24-2009, 06:39 AM
For SK:

"Ben, most people would turn you away, I don't listen to a word they say"....

jodiodi
10-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Spiders - I grew up in an area with giant mutant spiders. I check for them everywhere I go now, in all shoes (even sandals), and under all covers.

Fire - I've only just now been able to use one of those long lighters to light candles. I'm terrified of fire in the house, especially when the dogs are here alone. I have fire extinguishers in every room of our house including bathrooms and 2 in the basement (at each end).

Clowns - I don't trust them, don't find them funny.

Dark water - I don't want to be in any water I can't see the bottom. Swamps, rivers, especially those back home full of tannin.

Death Wizard
10-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Death. In the middle of the night. When it really hits me that it will happen, no ... matter ... what.

GeorgeK
10-24-2009, 08:25 AM

You just think he's your boyfriend. Really, he's building their case.

benbradley
10-24-2009, 08:36 AM
That Burger King mascot with the big head.
Speaking of Burger King, what about a seven-patty Whopper (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2009/10/23/lah.japan.whopper.microsoft.cnn)?

backslashbaby
10-24-2009, 09:00 AM
^^^ Both of those scare me!

Xelebes
10-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Speaking of Burger King, what about a seven-patty Whopper (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2009/10/23/lah.japan.whopper.microsoft.cnn)?

Gross! A single pattied Whopper is gross enough.

Ken
10-24-2009, 11:25 AM

... wow :-O
The newscaster ate it all, too.
Hopefully she has workman's comp ;-)

bettielee
10-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I used to think I was just irrationally afraid of clowns, but I realise as I get older that it is anyone in a mask or heavy makeup that makes them unrecognizable.

My sister was a bee with a big costume that had a close-fitting thing around her face and she complimented this with heavy makeup, in your traditional black and yellow striping. It weirded me out! I couldn't look at her. Another friend wore an alien mask. He was sitting at his desk, and I could him breathing. I was alone in the back of the office with him, and it freaked me out so bad I had to leave the back office and go do my work somewhere else.

truelyana
10-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Fear is an illusion. Doing (or facing) the adverse of what scares you, usually surprises oneself.

roonil_wazlib
10-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Snakes scare the bejeezus out of me. I was walking my dog behind the dog park last week and I saw what I thought was a stick in the middle of the dirt path. By the time I realised it was a snake, my dog was already going for it. I screeched her name and yanked her back, but she still stepped on the head. I was shaking and near tears, so I waited until it slithered away. It was your average garden snake. I felt like a such a dope when I realised everyone in the park could hear my squealing.

Large bodies of water actually make me sick to my stomach. When I was younger and we played one of those Mario games on the Nintendo 64, I remember there was a level where you had to go into the ocean and I started to shake. When Mario had to hitch a ride from the Loch Ness monster, I couldn't handle it and had to let my little sister finish the game.

Spiders, however, don't bother me. As long as they're not on me, I'm cool with them. Haha

jodiodi
10-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Oh! I forgot one.

Roads that disappear into water. The Chesapeake Bay Tunnel and I think there's one or two at Mobile Bay. I start to shake and my palms get sweaty and I'm absolutely terrified.

I have nightmares about being on roads in the country somewhere and they cross a river or lake and the road just disappears into the water and I have to try to follow it though I can't see it. Or I get to the bridge and partway realize the bridge just ends in the middle of the span.

YAwriter72
10-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Snakes scare the bejeezus out of me. I was walking my dog behind the dog park last week and I saw what I thought was a stick in the middle of the dirt path. By the time I realised it was a snake, my dog was already going for it. I screeched her name and yanked her back, but she still stepped on the head. I was shaking and near tears, so I waited until it slithered away. It was your average garden snake. I felt like a such a dope when I realised everyone in the park could hear my squealing.

Repeat after me, "I am not alone"

I have scared myself shitless thinking a stick in the yard was a snake. Its awful really, I get myself so worked up I can't move. Or mow. OMG every f&*^ing time I mow I see at least 2. I just know they are crawling up the back of the rider to wrap around my neck.

Or

They will get chopped to bits in the blade, shoot out and land all over me, bloody and wiggling. *rapid breathing, need a bag*

writeronfire
10-25-2009, 03:24 AM
You just think he's your boyfriend. Really, he's building their case.

Actually, I was just kidding about the IRS thing. I don't have a boyfriend.

DWSTXS
10-25-2009, 03:29 AM
I really DO have a big-time fear of death.

YAwriter72
10-25-2009, 03:39 AM
I really DO have a big-time fear of death.

I'm terrified of growing old. Of being the only one left and have watched everyone I love die. I can't think about it or I start to have a panic attack. I live in denial about it.

DWSTXS
10-25-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm terrified of growing old. Of being the only one left and have watched everyone I love die. I can't think about it or I start to have a panic attack. I live in denial about it.

me too!

YAwriter. . .you think it's bad now, wait until you hit the big 50 and every little pain, and ache will make you think you won't wake up tomorrow! I swear, EVERY night is like that! (have fun with that now, see if you sleep tonight! LOL)

rhymegirl
10-25-2009, 04:07 AM
me too!

YAwriter. . .you think it's bad now, wait until you hit the big 50 and every little pain, and ache will make you think you won't wake up tomorrow! I swear, EVERY night is like that! (have fun with that now, see if you sleep tonight! LOL)

Thanks for that, Doyle.

*goes off to find the fountain of youth*

DWSTXS
10-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks for that, Doyle.

*goes off to find the fountain of youth*

'she looked at me with an irresistable glance,
and a smile, that
could make all the planets dance,'

Rowan
10-25-2009, 04:27 AM

So I'm thinking you'd hate being a vampire? ;)

Tornadoboy
10-25-2009, 04:29 AM
People, although that's a whole story in itself.

Other than that, house centipedes used to scare the hell out of me, but I've sort of made peace with them. The best way to get over fear of a particular critter? Read up on them, watch lots of videos and look at lots of pictures, then you begin to understand that they're just innocent little beasts that have far more reason to fear you than the other way around.

http://www.classifieds-boston.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/housecentipede.jpg

~*Kate*~
10-25-2009, 04:31 AM

I have scared myself shitless thinking a stick in the yard was a snake. Its awful really, I get myself so worked up I can't move. Or mow. OMG every f&*^ing time I mow I see at least 2. I just know they are crawling up the back of the rider to wrap around my neck.

Or

They will get chopped to bits in the blade, shoot out and land all over me, bloody and wiggling. *rapid breathing, need a bag*

Snakes really don't bother me-- unless they're swimming. I have nightmares where I am in a boat and they are swimming at me from all sides.

I'm sure there's something Freudian there. I don't want to know. ;)

DWSTXS
10-25-2009, 04:42 AM

Or

That reminds me. Years ago, I get home, late at night, and the front door lock was messed up. I go around back to go in the back door. (this was way out in the country, near a lake in East Texas) As I'm walking through the yard, I stepped on the water hose. I get up on the back porch, I'm unlocking the door, and I look back into the yard, thinking I should go get the water hose and put it in teh flower bed near the back porch.
I walk towards it, and it starts crawling away.

It was a big, long black water mocassain.

Silver King
10-25-2009, 05:03 AM
For SK:

"Ben, most people would turn you away, I don't listen to a word they say"....
I wouldn't read that book if you paid me a thousand dollars. I don't even associate with people named Ben for obvious reasons, except our own dear Mr. Panced.

One time, as my wife and I were having drinks with another couple on their dock, a rat appeared nearby. It was a big one and strolled right on up as if it owned the place.

I screamed out something that sounded like, EEK! and jumped up on the table. Just then, I heard the beating of wings and a sudden whoosh as a great blue heron dove in, impaled the rat in its beak and flew off into the night. It was as if the bird had answered my prayers at that very moment.

Ever since, I've had a soft spot for blue herons.

If I ever get up the nerve to relive the time I saw a rat in my house, I might post about it here. Suffice to say that I bought so many traps and laid them in so many places that my family became expert at Hopscotch when they traveled from room to room.

bettielee
10-25-2009, 05:07 AM
I am also terrified of heights. Even watching stuff on the tv, like that damn commercial where the guy parachutes down to his car, give me the shivering willies.

And i did fall down a 60 foot cliff when I must but a mite. So it's not that irrational.

joyce
10-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Cockroaches scare the hell out of me and I live in Florida.

Devil Ledbetter
10-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Angina. I have no risk factors for heart disease, other than 100% incidence of myocardial infarction on my dad's side of the family. My dad was my age when he had his first heart attack.

And I have angina. It scares the hell out of me.

Silver King
10-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Cockroaches scare the hell out of me and I live in Florida.
Ever see those Palmetto bugs flying around? Huge, nasty cockroach-type insects with wings.

When we were kids, my brother had one fly into his mouth to the back of his throat, and he nearly choked to death.

Gemnyc
10-25-2009, 05:30 AM
When we were kids, my brother had one fly into his mouth to the back of his throat, and he nearly choked to death.
I just gagged when I read that. And actual physical reaction to your words :D

Silver King
10-25-2009, 05:35 AM
I just gagged when I read that. An actual physical reaction to your words :D
Good thing I wasn't more descriptive, or you may have turned blue from lack of oxygen. ;)

Susie
10-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Yikes, Silver, those buggers are the worst and glad you're bro was ok. That's scary.

semilargeintestine
10-25-2009, 05:46 AM
The only thing I'm afraid of is moths. Butterflies are gross, but I'm not afraid of them.

Silver King
10-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Yikes, Silver, those buggers are the worst and glad you're bro was ok. That's scary.
Thanks. :)

When it happened, my brother was knocked off his feet onto his back. We didn't know what was going on and stood there watching him writhe and kick his feet and grab at his throat. He reached far into his mouth with his fingers and pulled out part of the obstruction, a wing and several legs. Then he coughed and gagged as if he'd throw up, but nothing came out. He swallowed what was left of the palmetto bug, his eyes red and bulging with tears streaking his face.

The only bright spot from that episode happened years later, when my brother was trying to make a point and said, "Oh, yeah? Well I find that hard to swallow."

He immediately backtracked and looked at me as if he feared I'd say, "Harder than what to swallow?"

Devil Ledbetter
10-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks. :)

When it happened, my brother was knocked off his feet onto his back. We didn't know what was going on and stood there watching him writhe and kick his feet and grab at his throat. He reached far into his mouth with his fingers and pulled out part of the obstruction, a wing and several legs. Then he coughed and gagged as if he'd throw up, but nothing came out. He swallowed what was left of the palmetto bug, his eyes red and bulging with tears streaking his face.

The only bright spot from that episode happened years later, when my brother was trying to make a point and said, "Oh, yeah? Well I find that hard to swallow."

He immediately backtracked and looked at me as if he feared I'd say, "Harder than what to swallow?"That puts a whole new spin on the saying "I'd rather eat a bug."

Cella
10-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Animals (except dogs). And some animals more than others (anything ape related and birds).

It's kind of like how you can say a word over and over and it stops making sense...the longer I look at animals, the more unnatural they look to me.

what? it said irrational, right? :)

Cella--hiding inside.

Kathleen42
10-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Silverfish. I know I'm bigger than they are but the way they move freaks me right out.

Sewer grates (because of IT) and closed shower curtains (because of the dead woman in the bathtub in The Shinning)

MoonWriter
10-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Nothing really, and that frightens the hell out of me.

kaitie
10-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Spiders. Well, big annoying spiders that run across the floor at super speed and try to attack me. The little jumping spiders are okay haha. Well, as long as they stay far away. ;)

Earthquakes. Okay, maybe that's not quite irrational, but they scare the crap out of me, and the area I live in gets the worst earthquake in Japan, and we're literally many, many years beyond the previous longest period between earthquakes. There is a 30% chance of having it by the end of next year, according to the scientists. Well, that was before our big one in that area from this summer (anyone hear about that?). That was terrifying in it's own right. It was huge, scared everyone, and was right where the big one is supposed to happen. Only the big one will be much stronger and last minutes (as opposed to the 7 seconds of big shaking in this one). So yeah, maybe not irrational, but this keeps me awake at night.

Oh, a fun thing about praying mantises! I've always found them cute and peaceful little bugs. When I commented on that here, the people around me were like, "oh man, they're terrifying!" It turns out that the Japanese name for them is "kamakiri," which basically means "cut/kill with a sickle." So here, when a person looks at a praying mantis, they see a bug that looks like it's holding a sickle and is ready to slice them. Quite different from the Western view!

thethinker42
10-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Oh God. I hate earthquakes too.

When I was a kid, my biggest fear was being on a horse during an earthquake. Living in the Pacific Northwest and riding horses daily, this wasn't entirely irrational, but still wasn't very likely to happen. My friends and family thought I was being ridiculous.

When I was 15, it happened.

I'm now irrationally afraid of winning the lottery...

joyce
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Ever see those Palmetto bugs flying around? Huge, nasty cockroach-type insects with wings.

I would have died on the spot. It was probably an urban legend, but I remember years ago hearing a tale about a woman driving on the Palmetto Highway in Florida and one flew into her mouth. She began choking and gagging and wrecked the car and died. When the paramedics found her they found the thing lodged in her throat. I don't know if was true, but it is a tale I'll remember forever.

I always tell my hubby I know if one gets on you it will just start eating flesh. I remember seeing one actually eating aluminum foil. It ate foil! Anything that can live off aluminum foil will be around long after we wipe the planet off the face of the earth.

jodiodi
10-25-2009, 08:50 AM
We had those giant Palmetto bugs back home. Along with the giant mutant spiders. And snakes; plenty of snakes. Huge rats living in the kudzu fields. And alligators living in the creeks and ponds around the area.

Mama was terrified of rats and the palmetto bugs.

All I hated were the spiders. Snakes have never bothered me; I used to see the alligators in the creek when I'd do my 5 mile/day walks--didn't care. I could kill the palmetto bugs without blinking an eye. And I always tried to catch the mice and rats and set them free in the field outside.

Darzian
10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Animals (except dogs). And some animals more than others (anything ape related and birds).

Humans? :D

Wayne K
10-25-2009, 09:08 AM
"Irrational" fears. Please read thread titles..:D

amlptj
10-25-2009, 09:33 AM
i'm kind of a recovering hypocondrac but when it come to childhood fears, i'll say Clowns, Dolls (terrifed of them) that's really all, my nerves were shot at a young age.

Darzian
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Precisely. Fear of humans would be irrational, no? :D

kaitie
10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh God. I hate earthquakes too.

When I was a kid, my biggest fear was being on a horse during an earthquake. Living in the Pacific Northwest and riding horses daily, this wasn't entirely irrational, but still wasn't very likely to happen. My friends and family thought I was being ridiculous.

When I was 15, it happened.

I'm now irrationally afraid of winning the lottery...

LOL at the lottery comment. :P Odd question, but why while riding a horse? I'd honestly imagine that being on a horse would be a relatively safe place because you probably aren't in a building that's going to crush you in the middle of the night (my own personal fear lol). On the other hand, I suppose it could spook the horse, and that could be dangerous. I clearly don't know enough about horses.

icerose
10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I would have died on the spot. It was probably an urban legend, but I remember years ago hearing a tale about a woman driving on the Palmetto Highway in Florida and one flew into her mouth. She began choking and gagging and wrecked the car and died. When the paramedics found her they found the thing lodged in her throat. I don't know if was true, but it is a tale I'll remember forever.

It could very well be true. I remember in the news when I was younger a bee flew into a car with a woman who was deathly allergic to bees, stung her and she went into anaphylactic shock and she crashed killing herself and like six other people. It wasn't her fault obviously and she would have died without seriously quick intervention but they ruled the accident was caused by the bee.

I remembered another squick. I can't drink from a cup without looking in it first. Doesn't matter if I poured it not three seconds ago, I have to look.

When I was little my oldest brother had a glass of water by his bed every night. He woke up thirsty in the dark and drank it down, something fuzzy was on his tongue so he turned on his light and pulled out the fuzzy. It started wriggling it's eight legs. Ever since then I can't drink from a cup I haven't inspected first.

Devil Ledbetter
10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I've always had an irrational fear of plumbing. Drain pipes of any kind, large or small, creep me out. Even though I thought Stephen King's It was one of the stupidest, swiss-cheese plot books I'd ever read, the whole "evil coming up through the drain" thing hit my terror where it already lived.

thethinker42
10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
LOL at the lottery comment. :P Odd question, but why while riding a horse? I'd honestly imagine that being on a horse would be a relatively safe place because you probably aren't in a building that's going to crush you in the middle of the night (my own personal fear lol). On the other hand, I suppose it could spook the horse, and that could be dangerous. I clearly don't know enough about horses.

At the time, I didn't realize a horse would just freeze and not panic. Also, I WAS riding inside a building. Specifically, a pole-built arena with a giant aluminum roof. So, I was a bit concerned about it coming down or something.

kaitie
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't know a horse would freeze, either. Then again, like I said, I know nothing about horses. :) Boy it's late!

Wayne K
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I have a fear of people who know nothing about horses.

DWSTXS
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Florida is not the only place for those. Texas has them too. I saw one the other day the size of a cell phone. My co-worker, a big manly-man, shrieked like a little girl and started hyperventilating. I walked over and toed it, and it started crawling away, and I thought he was going to pee himself.

scarletpeaches
10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I believe in facing one's fears head on, which is why I now publicly confess to a deep-seated, irrational fear of naked men.

scarletpeaches
10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
And women.

joyce
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Florida is not the only place for those. Texas has them too. I saw one the other day the size of a cell phone. My co-worker, a big manly-man, shrieked like a little girl and started hyperventilating. I walked over and toed it, and it started crawling away, and I thought he was going to pee himself.

My best friend grew up in Texas and made me believe the saying "Everything's bigger in Texas". She said the cockroaches in Texas make the Florida ones look like pygmies. Some of ours are huge, but what she described sounds like Texas has some that are like five to six inches long. Just makes me want to throw up.

Satori1977
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a total paranoid fear of ventriloquist dolls. Literally, my heart starts pounding and I feel sick when I see one. I think it was brought on by watching a black and white movie as a young kid, where the dummy is fricking evil.
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/dSilence3.jpg

Hate mannequins as well, but not as bad. I think itís anything that looks life like, but isnít.

Clowns to, especially robotic ones you get encased at fairgrounds, the ones that cackle at you.

So this a treat *sweaty palms, racing heart, brief panic attack*
http://co112w.col112.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=262455e1-bfe5-11de-ba40-00215ad8013e&Aux=14|0|8CC22090FB1FC10||

Ok, so totally gonna have nightmares tonight! I am terrified of ventriloquist dummies!! Everyone things I am insane. I can't be near them, see them on tv. When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare of a one that was killing my family. It was horrible.

I also don't like clowns....they creep me out to a lesser degree. Spiders are a huge one. I scream like a little girl. And I am a bit of a claustrophobe. If I see a small space, I panic. The move The Descent? Those creatures didn't scare me, it was when the women got in the little crawl spaces.

Satori1977
10-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Basically, I'm afraid of being startled.

I startle very easily, my husband thinks it is funny and likes to sneak up behind me a lot. I totally get the looking out the window at night, especially when he is out of town and it is me and the kids. I always think I am going to see a face looking back at me. Totally irrational, but I can't help it.

Zelenka
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok, so totally gonna have nightmares tonight! I am terrified of ventriloquist dummies!! Everyone things I am insane. I can't be near them, see them on tv. When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare of a one that was killing my family. It was horrible.

I also don't like clowns....they creep me out to a lesser degree. Spiders are a huge one. I scream like a little girl. And I am a bit of a claustrophobe. If I see a small space, I panic. The move The Descent? Those creatures didn't scare me, it was when the women got in the little crawl spaces.

A friend of mine at work has the same thing with ventriloquist dummies, and got really freaked out about the film 'Dead of Night' because of it.

Me, I have a weird fear of heavy industrial machinery, things like cranes, railways, old engines, mine workings, anything like that. Just really freaks me out for no real reason.

Satori1977
10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
I believe in facing one's fears head on, which is why I now publicly confess to a deep-seated, irrational fear of naked men.

I agree...that is a fear that should be faced head on. Or whichever position you prefer. ;-)

Satori1977
10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
A friend of mine at work has the same thing with ventriloquist dummies, and got really freaked out about the film 'Dead of Night' because of it.

Honestly, I don't know where my fear came from. I have never watched a horror movie about a dummy...and I never will. I just out of the blue started having nightmares, I was about 7 years old. And I had them for years.

ad_lucem
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
1) Spontaneous human combustion.

2) Door-to-door meat salesmen.

3) Sleeping in front of TV's and mirrors at night when alone in the house.

4) Asteroids

5) social science majors and evironmentalists (tie)

S.J.
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
1)3) Sleeping in front of TV's and mirrors at night when alone in the house.

4) Asteroids

Same!

My old room had fitted cabinets on two of the walls, and the cabinet doors were all mirrors. I literally could not escape my reflection! It was so scary... the number of times I woke in the night and thought the sudden movement was someone else, not me... *shudder*

I am also scared of asteroids hitting the earth. Whenever an aeroplane goes overhead I have a moment of panic. Haha.

Also, I'm TERRIFIED of flying. When I get on planes, I have morbid thoughts like "This is the last time my feet will ever touch the ground...". Call me crazy, but there's just something about being trapped in a tiny airtight box thousands of feet above the earth that's frightening.

...I've just realised quite how many things I'm scared of.

Elwolf
10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Clowns, apes that look sort of human--gorillas, chimps, orangutans--sharks--think of them in pools too!--the dark, ventriloquist dolls, because of Saw, I think; alligators and crocodiles, and lightning. The lightning is just because I am 5' 10" and when I lived in Alabama, I lived in a house that was surrounded by trees, on a tall hill, and it rained, or stormed almost every night one year. Man was I a wreck then. Oh, and we lived right by a lake. Ugh.

The apes thing started a year or two ago. I can't stand to look at them. The funny thing is, I don't mind small monkeys, like baboons, and lemures.

ad_lucem
10-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Same!

My old room had fitted cabinets on two of the walls, and the cabinet doors were all mirrors. I literally could not escape my reflection! It was so scary... the number of times I woke in the night and thought the sudden movement was someone else, not me... *shudder*

I am also scared of asteroids hitting the earth. Whenever an aeroplane goes overhead I have a moment of panic. Haha.

Also, I'm TERRIFIED of flying. When I get on planes, I have morbid thoughts like "This is the last time my feet will ever touch the ground...". Call me crazy, but there's just something about being trapped in a tiny airtight box thousands of feet above the earth that's frightening.

...I've just realised quite how many things I'm scared of.

I never thought I'd find someone else afraid of asteroids and mirrors! Cool!

I mean, not cool that they spook us, but I always felt a little odd.

Planes give me the creeps, too, but I love airports. Weird, eh?

One night the kids were away with my husband. Of course, I took this time to read horror stories. When my husband came home the TV and the mirrors had blankets over them. I think I convinced him that I'm not all there. :crazy:

I got totally freaked about asteroids and meteorites when I was a kid. My mom used to tell me this story to "reassure me" about life. It went like this:

"You really shouldn't worry so much, sweetheart. Death comes like a theif in the night, you know. Why, there was once a man out in New Mexico who moved to the middle of nowhere because he thought he'd be safer away from people. And what happened to him? One night a meteorite the size of a softball crashed right through his roof and buried itself deep in his skull. He was killed instantly. So, you can't worry about things. You have to enjoy life, because you never know when you're going to go to bed perfectly healthy and a meteorite with your name on it's going to come through the roof and that'll be it."

Ever seen Southpark? You know the character "Tweak"? Yeah, I was kind of like that as a kid for some reason. Go figure. :roll:

spamwarrior
10-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Last night I was freakishly afraid of ghosts and spirits for some reason.

writerterri
10-26-2009, 05:01 AM
I fear picking up someone's dirty undies by the croch.

True story.

CogitoErgoSum
10-26-2009, 05:30 AM
I fear looking around my room at night after imagining that something may be there. Ever since my mom told me about the incident with the man in the black robe...

Who's to say he won't be there?

joyce
10-26-2009, 06:18 AM
I fear picking up someone's dirty undies by the croch.

True story.
I hope they were one of the kids.

jodiodi
10-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Oh, thought of something else that terrifies me: Fire.

I'm terrified of the house catching fire. We have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in every room (including bathrooms) and 2 in the basement and kitchen. When we're away from home, I'm absolutely paranoid that the house will catch fire and my dogs will be trapped. I don't care if we lose everything in the house; but my girls MUST be saved. We have the little signs for the windows that alert firefighters to pets in the house.

I've always been afraid of fire. I never go anywhere without looking for exits and making sure I have clear access to them. Even in restaurants, if there's a table by the doors, I ask to sit there. I sit at the end of the row in the theaters near the exits.

rhymegirl
10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't read that book if you paid me a thousand dollars. I don't even associate with people named Ben for obvious reasons, except our own dear Mr. Panced.

Two things, SK:

1. Was it a book? I was quoting the lyrics from a song called Ben from the movie, Willard.

and 2. My son's name is Ben.

BigWords
10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Is a fear of a tax audit irrational or not?

Sweet Tea
10-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I always always always have to check out the toilet bowl before I sit down - so afraid of something biting my bottom. Exactly how long can spiders tred water?

Tiz_Mee
10-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Bees. Totally scared of bees, wasps, hornets, all of them. I run away screaming. And if they are in the same room, I huddle in the corner until they land on something, then get the heck out of there, never going back in until someone else gets rid of it.

I have a scar on my eyelid from when I was 3 and a big one took a chunk out of me.

HelloKiddo
10-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm scared of throwing stuff out in my dumpster at night because I fear a homeless man might be sleeping in there and will get angry and kill me for throwing trash on him.

Which is irrational because our dumpsters are in a locked area. Also, they're always open and I live in warm idea so there's no reason anybody would sleep in there ever.

Wayne K
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM

And women.
:welcome:

Ciera_
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Hear, hear!

And, about monkeys: I'm exactly the opposite of the poster above who hates apes/gorillas. I think they're sweet, beautiful creatures. From a distance. (They can, and have, ripped the hand off a person from the wrist. Easily. Mercilessly.) But when it comes to small monkeys . . . I do NOT like most of them. Particularly baboons. Lemurs are okay as long as their eyes aren't creepy.

My biggest irrational fears: forever, infinity, and outer space. All related and kinda synonymous, I guess. I just cannot stand to consider them. They depress me as much as scare me. (When it comes to space, I have no qualms at the thought of GOING to it. Immediate space is cool! Distant space is cool! The fact that space is limitless . . . I HATE that.

Also, I have a sometimes-paralyzing fear that the TV industry will run out of ideas or otherwise collapse somehow.

kaitie
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
When I was a little kid, I had a kingdom of tiny little trolls living under my bed to keep the monsters away. :D

trocadero
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Birds. I used to have this recurring dream as a child that I was in an abandoned church filled with vine-covered trellises. Suddenly thousands of tiny birds would fly screeching out of the greenery towards me. When I opened my mouth to scream they would fly into my mouth, immediately filling it so I was choking, and I couldn't close my mouth without crunching their bones and feathers. My palms are sweaty right now.

I still can't sleep with a cupboard door open, because the ghosties have to be shut in. And thanks to my sister, I would NEVER EVER EVER dangle my arm over the side of the bed.

And schools and churches are spooky when empty. And forests are ALWAYS spooky.

S.J.
10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
"You really shouldn't worry so much, sweetheart. Death comes like a theif in the night, you know. Why, there was once a man out in New Mexico who moved to the middle of nowhere because he thought he'd be safer away from people. And what happened to him? One night a meteorite the size of a softball crashed right through his roof and buried itself deep in his skull. He was killed instantly. So, you can't worry about things. You have to enjoy life, because you never know when you're going to go to bed perfectly healthy and a meteorite with your name on it's going to come through the roof and that'll be it."

Hahahahahahaha.

I haven't seen South Park, but I can imagine. :)

Birds. I used to have this recurring dream as a child that I was in an abandoned church filled with vine-covered trellises. Suddenly thousands of tiny birds would fly screeching out of the greenery towards me. When I opened my mouth to scream they would fly into my mouth, immediately filling it so I was choking, and I couldn't close my mouth without crunching their bones and feathers. My palms are sweaty right now.

That is SO freaking scary!

Satori1977
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I always always always have to check out the toilet bowl before I sit down - so afraid of something biting my bottom. Exactly how long can spiders tred water?

I do that too! Ever since I saw that movie Ghoulies as a kid, with those creatures that come out of the toilets. It is stupid, I know, but it is a habit I can't break.

ad_lucem
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Bees. Totally scared of bees, wasps, hornets, all of them. I run away screaming. And if they are in the same room, I huddle in the corner until they land on something, then get the heck out of there, never going back in until someone else gets rid of it.

I have a scar on my eyelid from when I was 3 and a big one took a chunk out of me.

I'm with you there!

We have a tarantula hawk which likes to frequent our back yard. They're wasps about the same size as a humming bird.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/hymenopt/From%20Debra%20Mauzy-Melitz/Tarantula%20Hawk1.jpg

I love the desert....

not.

Rarri
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh god, i'd move. I hate, hate, hate wasps - bees are, however, ok - but wasps are horrible. Hated them since i was a kid when one stung me by my eye and then proceeded to walk across my forehead. Shudder.

Alpha Echo
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
When I'm reading a book or watching a movie, I always worry about the MC either running out of money or having no place to pee.

Satori1977
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm with you there!

We have a tarantula hawk which likes to frequent our back yard. They're wasps about the same size as a humming bird.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/hymenopt/From%20Debra%20Mauzy-Melitz/Tarantula%20Hawk1.jpg

I love the desert....

not.

You just made me jump in my chair, I was so not expecting that. Bees don't bother me (been stung a bunch of times), but that one, would. And we have already established I don't like spiders...not sure who I want to win in this fight. Can someone just come by and step on them both?!?

kayleamay
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
When I'm reading a book or watching a movie, I always worry about the MC either running out of money or having no place to pee.

I don't know why, but that made me snort-laugh.

meeeeegin
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm with you there!

I love the desert....

not.

WHY?!

ad_lucem
10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4046443663_b5b24245de_o.jpg

I've zoomed in on this. The photo quality is crappy, but if you look closely, yes, that is a tarantula on my head.

I don't mind tarantulas as much as I mind tarantula hawks. We've gone on several night hikes at the state park down the road with a black light. Why a black light? So we could see all the scorpions, of course :)

meeeeegin
10-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Alpha Echo
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't know why, but that made me snort-laugh.

Haha, well, it is kinda a silly thing, but it's true! I am always wondering about those two things and worrying for the MC because of them!

lucidzfl
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I fear escalators.

jodiodi
10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4046443663_b5b24245de_o.jpg

I've zoomed in on this. The photo quality is crappy, but if you look closely, yes, that is a tarantula on my head.

I don't mind tarantulas as much as I mind tarantula hawks. We've gone on several night hikes at the state park down the road with a black light. Why a black light? So we could see all the scorpions, of course :)

You, madame, are totally insane.

meeeeegin
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
snakes...and it just so happens that one lives right by, literally next to my front door.

jennifer75
10-27-2009, 02:59 AM

Ok. What?

jennifer75
10-27-2009, 03:02 AM

Oh My Gawd, BEEEEES! HORRIFYING!!!! Oh my Gawd...and they FIND ME.

I was driving once, about 35 mph....window down, and BAM! Something pegs me in the chin. I look down, a stunned bee! WTF?????

Days before this incident, I was driving and felt something hit my hair, on top of my head. Window was down so I thought a leaf flew in or something. I brushed it off, and it felt big and heavy. Not a leaf. Never saw it though. I assume it was a bee. Didn't sting me thank God. I guess I swatted its face, not its butt.

I.HATE.BEES.

I run screaming. Frantically. I don't care.

writeronfire
10-27-2009, 03:27 AM
I still fear nothing.

Rowan
10-27-2009, 04:41 AM
I still fear nothing.

Ha! You admit it -- you fear "nothing"! :) Still.

sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

brainstorm77
10-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Fire and deep water.

CDaniel
10-27-2009, 04:57 AM
High places.

I have a real hard time climbing a latter.

Silver King
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
My children dying before I do.

Cella
10-27-2009, 07:09 AM

well, I believe that a fear of apes would be entirely rational if they roamed free. They are wild and unpredictable and vastly stronger than me.

Precisely. Fear of humans would be irrational, no? :D

Uh.............
Um................
I'm going to take the smiley as a joke, :D

I have a fear of people who know nothing about horses.

and what do you know?

Little ol'me scares Wayne.......

YISSSSS!

jennifer75
10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
My children dying before I do.

I have the opposite fear most of the time, the horrifying thought of what would he do without me. My god, parenthood is an effing horror movie.