e-book publishing creds

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some novellas pubslihed as e-books (not self-published or vanity press, but published by "small press" e-book publishers), and I was wondering if I should mention them in a query. The reason I hesitate is because I spent some time looking at e-books on Amazon, some of the publisher's websites and fictionwise, and a great deal of them are, well, bad. Really, really bad. Even the descriptions of the books are bad. Many have typos and gramatical errors.

Now my e-books are awesome, of course, :) but will an agent look positively or negatively on the mention of published e-books, considering that most of these things are poorly written? Would I be guilty by association?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Novella's are not an agents favorite thing to represent from new authors, too short for many publishers to take on and somewhat of a niche market so going the e-route really does not bother them, I would think.

Now, depending on what you are submitting, a full length novel perhaps, the mentioning of your previous e-published work may or may not impress the agent. Its sort of a two edged sword. Why....if the sales numbers are not good enough, then the agent may feel you do not have that built in readerbase. BUT...if the numbers are good enough, they will understand you do have the base and may be able to use this when pitching your work to a publisher...

Depends on the numbers and what you are submitting in the future...IMHO.

Nick Anthony

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
That's a good point...how do I know who is a prestigious e-publisher and who isn't?

Research. Word of mouth. Sales numbers. Advertising.

If you say "Samhain" or "Ellora's Cave" to an agent, most of them will have heard of them--they are the largest and most recognized e-publisher of erotica and erotic romance, and several of their authors have moved on to big print houses.

But there are dozens of e-pubs out there, most of which the average agent hasn't heard of. If your handful of novella sales are to a new e-pub with a shaky track record, and your sales are very low, it isn't going to go a long way with impressing an agent. Which is why your book needs to speak for itself in the query. :)