WWII expert needed

Sn00py

Literary Laureate
Registered
Reaction score
Specifically with the war in Germany. The first area I need assistance with is escapes from concentration camps. If anyone is willing to help, or if you have a reference you can point me to, I would be very much grateful.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
This is not my area of expertise but I seem to recall that POW's were imprisoned in camps separate from the "undesirables of the Reich". So, it might help if you are talking about military prisoners vs political prisoners.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I just saw a very good movie, based on a true story, called "A Man Escaped." Its about a French Resistance fighter who is captured, and, well, escapes. It isn't exactly a concentration camp that he is being held in, but it shows very convincingly the kind of ingenuity that was needed.

Another excellent movie to see, also based on a true story, is "Escape from Sobibor." With Alan Arkin and Rutger Hauer. This was about an escape from a death camp. Very, very good.

A good book to read is "Survival in Auschwitz." by Elie Weisel. This is the true story of his own imprisonment there. He doesn't really escape, per se, but he describes the experience in great detail.

Sn00py

Literary Laureate
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions Sarpedon, and the advice on clarification George. I have looked at Survival in Auschwitz and read quite a few other books detailing what it was like to live in a concentration camp. But there are aspects of what it would take for a resistance movement to escape from camp, on their own or in connection with any outside resistance, as well as some other aspects of WWII that I have not found an appropriate reference for, or I have been unable to deduce the logistics for.

I also need help in determining the relative structure of how certain military operations would work, especially when determining how a Nazi faction would handle a situation compared to an American platoon.