The New Jersey Civil War

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a fair number of folks from Jersey here, but most people from the rest of the country, and certainly from the rest of the world, have no idea the incredible strain our fine state is in. No, I'm not talking about out upcoming gubernatorial election. And I'm not talking about history. I'm talking about the fact the half the state despises the other half of the state and vice versa. What most people not from NJ do not know is that the state is culturally divided into two sections: the disgusting vile urban wasteland of North Jersey, and the tranquil and rustic South Jersey. "People" from North Jersey tend to have New Yorkish accents and root for NY sports teams. The genteel folks from South Jersey have Philadelphiaish accents and root for Philly teams. There are other cultural differences, of course. South Jersey has tried on occasion to secede from the putrid clutches of our northern counterparts, but to know avail. It's tragic really.

So, what do you say New Jerseyeans shall we let the rest of the world know our dirty little secret?

And, I don't care what anyone says, there is NO SUCH PLACE as "Central Jersey".

South Jersey consists of the counties including Burlington and Ocean on southward, while North Jersey consists of the counties including Mercer and Monmouth northward. Anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar, most likely from North Jersey.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I live in the middle of the state.

Halfway between north and south

Centrally located. (central being kind of the key word here)

The only people I've heard to claim Central Jersey doesn't exist are those from South Jersey.

I know where I live.

Even Wikipedia gets it...

Oh, and I haven't a clue what exit - to get to CENTRAL Jersey (where I live - you know, in the center???) I take exit 14C (I think) from Turnpike South to 78 West (when coming home fro Giants Stadium). But that exit's located about 30 minutes from my home (in CENTRAL Jersey). I don't know where off the Parkway you'd get off - it's in the same area as the Pike, and it would also be for 78 West (that's how you get to CENTRAL Jersey). But I don't take the Parkway or the Pike if I can help it.

18, 22, 28, 287, 206 - all run through the CENTRAL part of state (you know, where I live) and they're non-toll roads, so them's the ones I drive.

:D

PS - people from south Jersey root for the Igles (who don't even play in Jersey, btw, but in Philadelphia). And they drink wuter (whatever the hell that is - we call it water up here in CENTRAL Jersey). They talk very nasally.

Last edited:

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Why in the hell would anyone want to live in a state named after a cow?
The south end of a cow at that.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the middle of the state.

Halfway between north and south

Centrally located. (central being kind of the key word here)

The only people I've heard to claim Central Jersey doesn't exist are those from South Jersey.

I know where I live.

Even Wikipedia gets it...

Oh, and I haven't a clue what exit - to get to CENTRAL Jersey (where I live - you know, in the center???) I take exit 14C (I think) from Turnpike South to 78 West (when coming home fro Giants Stadium). But that exit's located about 30 minutes from my home (in CENTRAL Jersey). I don't know where off the Parkway you'd get off - it's in the same area as the Pike, and it would also be for 78 West (that's how you get to CENTRAL Jersey). But I don't take the Parkway or the Pike if I can help it.

18, 22, 28, 287, 206 - all run through the CENTRAL part of state (you know, where I live) and they're non-toll roads, so them's the ones I drive.

:D

PS - people from south Jersey root for the Igles (who don't even play in Jersey, btw, but in Philadelphia). And they drink wuter (whatever the hell that is - we call it water up here in CENTRAL Jersey). They talk very nasally.

Okay, cupcake, let's dance.

What county are you from? And I'll tell you whether you're from North or South Jersey? But, you don't have to tell me, because, if you root for the Giants you are from the North part of the state.

And a note to our non-Jersey friends: It's sad, but sometimes the people from North Jersey, esp. those in the lower part of North Jersey suffer from the delusion that there is some magical limbo-like realm called "Central Jersey". The poor folks are torn by their natural aversion to the horrors of the North and their geographical destiny. I think I'm going to cry.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score

Pfft! Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time, you central-dwelling doofus? I happen to live in South Jersey and I despise the Eagles almost as much as I do the Giants (who, like the Jets, play in NJ but are still considered to be from NY, btw. How stoopit is that?)

And we don't drink wuter. We drink coffee.

:e2moon:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Then there's the Jersey Shore or Down The Shore. But those of us who were born here don't refer to it as that. We call ourselves Clamdiggers (one word, not two).

As for North Jersey, it's very pretty up in the northwest or even the central part of the state.

And South Jersey has the the Pinelands. The northernmost part of the pinelands is where I live, in southern Monmouth County.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Why does it matter so much? I KNOW where I live. I've lived here 38 years (well, almost 38 years). I don't need anyone to tell me where I live. And no, we don't think it's a magical realm. It's just. geography.

Somerset County.

**sigh** Only people from South Jersey care about stuff like this....

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it matter so much? I KNOW where I live. I've lived here 38 years (well, almost 38 years). I don't need anyone to tell me where I live. And no, we don't think it's a magical realm. It's just. geography.

Somerset County.

**sigh** Only people from South Jersey care about stuff like this....

Somerset County...the very definition of North Jersey.

One day, when I'm President (or Goddess-Empress, whichever) of the Independent Nation of South Jersey, you'll feel bad about your transgression against our fine South Jersey ways.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
'cause Cherry Hill, is such a thrill after dark...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mayhem--is that what's left after the sidewalks roll up? I've always wondered.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I wouldn't go below 95 - especially at night.

I saw Deliverance. ;)

How is Somerset County the definition of North Jersey??? Have you ever actually been out of the Pine Barrens. because I'm thinkin' the answer to that is no.

Quickie, that's one of the nicer things I call you, sweetie. **smooch**