PDA

View Full Version : EA: Dragon Age - tut tut

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Flibble
10-22-2009, 06:24 PM
So, was looking forward to this. Oooh shiny extra stuff too:

* Every new retail box of DA:O contains a promotional code on a promotional code card which when redeemed provides a free download of The Stone Prisoner. Digital purchases of DA:O will have the code emailed.

Only, it's not every copy. Oh no, if you live in the UK, you don't get the shinys, or so it appears - some retailers say no, they don't have the card, some don't know. But - if you get the collecters edition ( ie pay extra) you can have the priviledge of what the US gets for free - only different cos our editions don't ahve the same as the US ones!

US (http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/preordercollectors/)

UK (http://eu.dragonage.com/buy/?path=/dragonage/preorder/en-uk/)

Oooh I'm so grateful! /end sarcasm

So, once again ( after the WAR debacle, where everyone was supposed to get stuff at the same time, only the US got everything first) The UK ( and Europe, we think) gets screwed.

Go, go EA. Obviously us people in the Third World don't deserve the same as those in America.

Complaint thread (http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=699744&forum=135)

whistlelock
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
yeah, EA, not so good at this kinda thing.

Adam
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Dagnabbit!!! :(

I want the game and the extras, but I ain't shelling out for something that another country gets free. If it was a shipping issue, fair enough, but it's a CODE! A few numbers on a scrap of paper!

Mr Flibble
10-22-2009, 07:46 PM
If it was a shipping issue, fair enough, but it's a CODE! A few numbers on a scrap of paper!

Exactly! And the UK ones are ( I believe) even shipped from the same place!

And it looked such a great game. Bah, ain't buying if they're doing this though. Bloody EA.

quickWit
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Obviously us people in the Third World don't deserve the same as those in America.

It's about time you crazy brits figured that out.

*waves private parts at your auntie*

:D

Adam
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Indeed. I've been looking forward to it. :(

Think I'll wait till it's cheaper and claim it's because I'm angry with them, and not because I'm cheap. ;)

SPMiller
10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
More armored white people indiscriminately slaughtering whatever's around. Yawn.

That said, I'm glad they're finally taking their games more in PS:T's direction. Maturity has been missing from D&D games for a while now. Might bite them in the ass, though. Just ask Avellone.

Mr Flibble
10-23-2009, 12:24 AM
It's about time you crazy brits figured that out.

*waves private parts at your auntie*

:D

I didn't know you had any. If you did you don't want to wave 'em at my auntie. She'll eat you for breakfast. And not in the good way.

More armored white people indiscriminately slaughtering whatever's around.

People of all colours killing dragons. Acshually. *Pins SP down* *Blows raspberry on tummy*

efkelley
10-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I've been seeing lots of Dragon Age ads around, but I've not gone looking for details about the game. I don't suppose anyone could enlighten me? Basically, what's all the hubbub?

Zoombie
10-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Its big, its complex, they're trying to be more mature and insightful.

Will it be as good as PS:T?

Or at the very least, Mass Effect?

efkelley
10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
After a cursory glance, the guys that did Mass Effect are doing this one. Suddenly, I understand the Big Deal. They've definitely earned enough trust for me to give this one a go.

Zoombie
10-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I just hope its as good as ME, which I ffing loved.

I hope real hard as I pre-ordered it.

Mr Flibble
10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Hmm a PC Zone reviewer who doesn't like RPGs gives it 93%. Sweet.

And if you do stuff your companions don't like...watch out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jE3Uedm_hM

Adam
10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Hmm a PC Zone reviewer who doesn't like RPGs gives it 93%. Sweet.

And if you do stuff your companions don't like...watch out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jE3Uedm_hM

Sweeeeeeeeet...

*Giggles maniacally*

Bufty
10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I pre-ordered it , too. Seems ages since the last decent RPG for the PC.

Sweeeeeeeeet...

*Giggles maniacally*

SPMiller
10-23-2009, 09:36 PM
People of all colours killing dragons. Acshually.I assume you watched the promotional videos. You can't help but notice there's not a single nonwhite PC or NPC in any of them. Sure, that's partially the setting's fault, and it's by no means a problem unique to D&D-style settings, which I believe Dragon Age is supposed to imitate. Still, I can't help but wonder if it's indicative of deeper flaws in certain types of fantasy.

That said, I'll probably get the game anyway, provided the story's strong enough. One solo run of IWD2 on the hardest difficulty was enough hack-n-slash for my lifetime.

*Pins SP down* *Blows raspberry on tummy*Um... there are a few ways I could respond to this, none of which is appropriate for public :tongue

Zoombie
10-24-2009, 02:24 AM
I dunnkow, I saw a black guy in this video: http://dragonage.bioware.com/sacred_ashes.html

A white guy, two white chicks, and a black guy.

Mr Flibble
10-24-2009, 03:13 AM
ooh a little web flash game where you can earn stuff in the actual game

http://www.dragonagejourneys.com/

Adam
10-24-2009, 03:28 AM
ooh a little web flash game where you can earn stuff in the actual game

http://www.dragonagejourneys.com/

:eek:

Hmmm, maybe a quick game before I head back to my writing...

Zoombie
10-24-2009, 03:33 AM
sooooooo goooooooooooooood

Mr Flibble
10-24-2009, 04:16 AM
ooh backtrack - a 'genuine miscommunication' and all shall be sorted - says EA :D

Fingers crossed.

Basically Bioware said 'we no happy' EA said ........ok

Adam
10-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Woot! :D

Zoombie
10-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Really, the only way to talk to companies is to make it known that they will loose profits.

Its an economic gun!

And slowly, but surely, they're learning that if they provide games that we want to play without dicking us around, people will buy their game more often!

dclary
10-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Did you see you can already download the character generator and try out how you feel about the various looks/feels of your character already!?!?

Zoombie
10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I fiddled with it and made a cute black elf mage with bright red hair.

Cause I'm weird that way.

Adam
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I was incredibly unoriginal and made a human fighter type thingy. :rolleyes:

Zoombie
10-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Was he at least handsome?

Adam
10-30-2009, 12:27 AM
He kinda looked like me. I'll leave the answer down to you. :D

Zoombie
10-30-2009, 12:40 AM
So....yes!

Anywho, when will it be the 3rd? Not soon enough you say!?

Fortunately I have Borderlands to help me through the days.

Adam
10-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Hehe, thanks. ;)

I'm avoiding Borderlands, as I can see it sucking my life away. :D

As for Dragon Age, I doubt I'll be able to resist.

Zoombie
10-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Yeah, games are accurately described as Time Vampires by a writer friend of mine.

Adam
10-30-2009, 03:43 AM
<-------- 3 years of World of Warcraft. Now THERE'S a vampire. :D

(8 months later, it's almost out of my system. ;) )

Methinks I'll try and wait till after NaNo before I get Dragon Age, otherwise I'll not get anything done.

Zoombie
10-30-2009, 03:52 AM
I'll do my best to not spoil the whole plot for you!

Adam
10-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Heh, thanks :D

Epiphany
11-07-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm asking for it for Christmas. Kind of excited considering I haven't bought an RPG game that wasn't an MMO since BG2.

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I've had to drag the old man off the PC for dinner, and even then he wouldn't shut up about it

I'm tempted, so very very tempted.

Looks purdy too.

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Idiots, if you play as a female character, be nice to Alistair! He is the sweetest, cutest, most romantically engaging male character in a video game *EVER*. He had me going "AWWWWWWW" out loud AND wanting to crawl through the computer screen and kiss him with big slobbery kisses.

I should start an Alistair fanclub...yes yes!

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 01:10 AM
You can get jiggy with him as a bloke too. :D

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
YES! YES!

Thank you Bioware thank you for getting over your fucking homophobia!

YAAAAAAAAY!

<does a dance and a prance and a flip in the air>

Sheryl Nantus
11-07-2009, 01:37 AM
hubby ordered the "special", all goodies included version from EA.

I am now officially a game widow on evenings.

good thing I'm in Second Life all day!

:)

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Its so good!

SO GOOD!

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Though I do have one minor minor quibble: The nudity.

There have been two occasions wherein you see someone who's so naked they might as well just BE NAKED. Like, a dryad who's hair manages to ONLY cover her nipples and NOTHING ELSE. Like...dude! Why not just show the flipping nipples? This game is not for kids, we've kinda figured that out what with the hard combat, deep plotline and buckets of blood.

Just have the nipples and the penises, we're not going to flip out!

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 01:47 AM
And, my dearest Zoombie, there's an openly bisexual elf, and you can get male on male jiggy with a dwarf ( do the beards get tangled? Ouchie) and as a girly I can have hot girl on girl action too.

Will there be time to, you know, play the game? :D

Just have the nipples and the penises, we're not going to flip out!

Welllllll, probably not no. I may compare and contrast though. In the interests of scientific research, obviously

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Ah, the openly bisexual elf...god I do love him. Spanish accents make me go all dribbly.

SPMiller
11-07-2009, 04:43 AM
YES! YES!

Thank you Bioware thank you for getting over your fucking homophobia!

YAAAAAAAAY!

<does a dance and a prance and a flip in the air>I'm not sure it was Bioware's problem so much as their market, which is mostly US gamers. (Remember, Bioware is Canadian.) Public opinion on GLBT has changed a lot over the past decade. Even as recently as a few years ago, community mods for Bioware-engine products that involved GLBT relationships would be buried under mountains of angry gamers throwing such words around as faggot, dyke, etc., with exhortations that the module authors remove "the gayness". Really nasty stuff.

[...] and as a girly I can have hot girl on girl action too.Hmm. I had no idea that appealed to you...

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, I'm glad gamers are growing the fuck up.

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Hmm. I had no idea that appealed to you...

It doesn't - there's no., um. point *cough* - but it'd cool for if you like this -you have the option.

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Also, guys...

Game is awesome!

SPMiller
11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Well, I'm glad gamers are growing the fuck up.I wouldn't say they have fully grown up, given my experiences in the gaming community as of early 2008, but things are certainly improving if Bioware feels comfortable putting out such content.

jennontheisland
11-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Um, maybe this is a silly question, but:

How, other than by trying to make male characters have sex, would the homophobes opposed to male characters having sex, find out that this was possible? And if they're so opposed to this, why even try it in the first place?

Me, I'm tempted to try this one since it's got the girl on girl. Couldn't do that in Kings' Quest. (psst IRU, tongues have points ;) )

SPMiller
11-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Um, maybe this is a silly question, but:

How, other than by trying to make male characters have sex, would the homophobes opposed to male characters having sex, find out that this was possible? And if they're so opposed to this, why even try it in the first place?Sometimes the player can't avoid romantic subplots (i.e., they're relevant to the overarching plot), which forces them to deal with "the gayness". You'd be surprised how many people, especially young males, object vociferously to that with various homophobic epithets.

A better question would be, why do they keep playing after running into Teh Gay if they object to it so strongly? ;)

(The answer probably involves revelations about sexual orientation that would probably be very uncomfortable to them.)

Me, I'm tempted to try this one since it's got the girl on girl. Couldn't do that in Kings' Quest. (psst IRU, tongues have points ;) )I suspect there won't be graphic portrayal of sex, but what do I know. Zoombie, fill us in, sir!

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 09:10 AM
The sex is decidedly PG-13, but I still was pretty happy how it turned out.

And in Dragons Age, all romantic subplots are entirely optional. You can be a huge dick to everyone...though you'll rapidly run out of party members, as they can decide to fuck this shit and leave.

So, be at least polite to them, or you might get a sword up your ass.

Zoombie
11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
The thing I love about this game is it keeps keeping things fresh.

You go to find the holy grail, and you end up having to solve riddles and puzzles.

Fighting demons? Oh snap, you're trapped in a surreal dream world where you must juggle between different forms to get past metaphysical obstacles.

Whether you're negotiating peace between werewolves and elves, or fighting dragons, or romancing your various companions...this entire game is just so amazingly well constructed and everything flows together.

You know what it reminds me of?

It reminds me of Zero Punctuation's farcical take on Duke Nukem Forever, depicting it as a kind of grandiose super game wherein you start off in one gameplay mode and end up somewhere completely else without noticing even a single break in the progression.

Its not as perfect as that hypothetical game, but its pretty damn close.

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
(psst IRU, tongues have points ;) )

Yes, but is it the right size? If it is that's one heck of a tongue!!

SPMiller
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Decidedly PG-13? That means a model and/or texture hack can fix that up right quick. For those who are so inclined.

Mr Flibble
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Okay, I caved - I knew I would

Ilfayne kicked butt though :D

Rhys Cordelle
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
You can get jiggy with him as a bloke too. :D

Really? Yay!

I love Bioware so much. Not just for their great games (I was obsessed with baldurs gate and neverwinter nights), but because they really care about providing a long lasting source of entertainment by supplying toolsets.

Zoombie
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiis gaaaaaaaaaame is sooooooooooo goooooooooooooooddddd

Robin
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Hubby got DA Friday night. He logs into his Aion account, starts his character crafting, then loads DA.

Me: Are you actually playing two video games at once?
Hubby: Don't be a hater because your computer can't do it too.
Me: !!!

Adam
11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Hehe, I used to do that with Eve Online and WoW. :D

Set my ship mining, then go kill some kobolds. ;)

efkelley
11-10-2009, 01:49 AM
So, I take it the game is good?

Zoombie, I'm surprised you have time to play it what with all the posting you're doing about it. ;)

Zoombie
11-10-2009, 02:39 AM
You spend a lot of the game paused, considering decisions in battle.

Rhys Cordelle
11-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Holy crap Zoombie, you weren't exaggerating. This game is incredible! I played the Magi Origin. Loving every minute of it :)

This game is what NWN2 SHOULD have been.

Zoombie
11-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Holy crap Zoombie, you weren't exaggerating. This game is incredible! I played the Magi Origin. Loving every minute of it :)

This game is what NWN2 SHOULD have been.

This this this
This this this
This this this

LOG
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I Pre-ordered the CE Digital Version, and completely pawned DA: Journeys, so....yeah....lots of extras...
I've beaten the crap out of Flemeth and the High Dragon on easy, now I need to bring it up to normal and try...
I'm simultaneously working, like, four origins...

<-------- 3 years of World of Warcraft. Now THERE'S a vampire.
(8 months later, it's almost out of my system.)
Methinks I'll try and wait till after NaNo before I get Dragon Age, otherwise I'll not get anything done.
I'm a veteran, and still going strong...

Zoombie
11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Ha, you play on easy!?

Girlie man, I beat Flemeth on normal, with a horribly crippled character cause I had no idea how to spend my skill points effectively.

Jcomp
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Buying this tomorrow. Can. Not. Wait....

...but I have to...

efkelley
11-13-2009, 12:12 AM
ARGH! I've got a graphic novel due before Thanksgiving and 41 pages left yet to write. Yet I really want to try this game!

The idea that I'd use the game as a reward for a job well done isn't working. I think I need my desert before tackling my broccoli.

I blame all of you for this. The publisher will almost certainly accept that as an excuse... yeah.....

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Guys, I'm almost at the end of the game!

It only took me 90 hours.

(And I skipped most of the side quests)

K. Andrew Smith
11-13-2009, 04:17 AM
I beat DA on Tuesday night after playing it obsessively since release. It's already in my top 10 games ever, frankly. The story is so immersive, and the characters feel real.

What amazed me, however, was how much the ending affected me. A few of my decisions turned out not so good, one of my favorite characters died, another left the party...and the happy ending felt somewhat hollow without them there to celebrate. I can't remember a game that made me actually feel loss like that before.

And there's so many more choices to make, still! I started a new character yesterday for the second playthrough.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 05:06 AM
The <sniffle> Stupid brave idiot...I...should have done it...

<sobs>

K. Andrew Smith
11-13-2009, 05:38 AM
I told my wife, before I got to the ending, that obviously it was being set up for me to do it. "There's no way," I told her, "that he's going to be the one."

Yeah, I was wrong.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 05:40 AM
I shall commune this line through reputation points, for it is far too spoiley.

Anywho, I've rolled up a new character!

Rhys Cordelle
11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
You get bonus content in origins for playing journey? oooh... but... but i want to play origins!

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Wow...I'm playing it again as a male human noble and its shocking how some characters suddenly take on massive new light and new things become important where old things once shone bright.

As a mage, one NPC would be central to my character...but as a noble, he is completely unknown, and a different NPC becomes important.

Astonishingly good game.

Rhys Cordelle
11-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Best. Game. EVER!

I can't wait to get freaky with Alistair :D

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 09:30 AM
He's so cute!

SPMiller
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm one of those who believes Obsidian intended NWN 2 to be a deconstruction with plenty of subverted tropes. Come on, the game begins with a farmer child in a remote village and ends with rocks fall everyone dies. Throughout the game, you run into characters who were supposed to be heroes but instead are immoral or evil or otherwise warped. As a male character, your only romance option is a creepy stalker elf with the personality of a ... something with no personality. How could that not have been meant as a joke? But the clumsy handling of the game's actual development resulted in a product we laugh at instead of laugh with. If that makes any sense.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
All I know is that Neverwinter Nights 2 was just...dull.

Very very dull.

And really, if you're aiming for a deconstruction, don't put in a character that reminds other people of your better, deeper, more clever deconstruction, Planescape Torment.

SPMiller
11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I know. What the hell was up with Zhjaeve or however it's spelled. She was like Dak'kon with all the personality sucked out then turned into a sex symbol.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I think you're getting confused, Dak'Kon was the Githyanki, Annah was the teifling rogue with red hair and awesome personality.

But still. Neverwinter Nights 2 made me think of playing Planescape. Dragons Age has me unseating Planescape from the top of my pantheon of Godly Good Games.

Cause...well...Planescape was always a better story than a game, if that makes sense.

SPMiller
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm not confused. Dak'kon = Zhjaeve as much as Neeshka = Annah-of-the-Shadows. I strongly suspect Avellone was recycling. I feel betrayed!

Indeed, Planescape's actual gameplay sucked.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh...I was thinking of Neeshka. Never met Zhjaeve I guess.

I basically got to meeting Neeshka then went, "She reminds me of Annah. Planescape was a better game. I'm gonna play Planescape again."

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I strongly suspect Avellone was recycling. I feel betrayed!

Indeed, Planescape's actual gameplay sucked.

Avellone?

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think...

Planescape + Dragons Age production values and gameplay = BEST GAME OF THE FUCKING CENTURY.

Agreement?

SPMiller
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh...I was thinking of Neeshka. Never met Zhjaeve I guess.

I basically got to meeting Neeshka then went, "She reminds me of Annah. Planescape was a better game. I'm gonna play Planescape again."http://www.rpguides.de/nwn2/images/zhjaeve.jpg

See that stupid outfit? You can't even cover it up with armor and helms. She's like some freaky green-skinned fantasy version of I Dream of Jeannie. She's even a damn Mystic-type character.

Worse part about her is that she joins the party like halfway through the game to perform functions other characters were already handling adequately well. She then proceeds to swear herself into slavery to the main character. That's, like, the one thing no gith would ever do, ever, and she does it almost immediately. Ridiculous.

Things go downhill from there.

Avellone?

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think...

Planescape + Dragons Age production values and gameplay = BEST GAME OF THE FUCKING CENTURY.

Agreement?Chris Avellone? The guy behind PS:T.

Some companies have consistently good production value and always turn out polished games. I think Valve and Blizzard are up there with Bioware.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Oooh!

Gah, I suck with names sometimes. And yeah, that character sounds like pants on head retarded.

Fortunately, Dragons Age is proving just as compelling on my second play through!

Though I should probably sleep some time soon...

Rhys Cordelle
11-13-2009, 01:38 PM
He's so cute!

They did such a great job with the dialogue. I love how you can make him laugh if you play along with his jokes.

In NWN2 I often felt like I didn't want to choose any of the dialogue options but I haven't come across that at all in Dragon Age.

Zoombie
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I am playing an atheist this time through and its so much fun to see the Chanters get pissed off at my heathen ways.

Also, as the human noble, I shagged the hot elf maid.

Schweet.

Rhys Cordelle
11-14-2009, 02:17 AM
This game is destroying my words per day writing goal! Allister you damn sexy beast, stop seducing me into your world and let me write my own!

Romantic Heretic
11-14-2009, 02:32 AM
I've been watching a walkthrough (http://www.youtube.com/user/RydarGames#p/c/3A9FD1CA3ECF40ED) on YouTube.

Damn! I hope this game comes out for the Mac soon.

Zoombie
11-14-2009, 03:09 AM
This game is destroying my words per day writing goal! Allister you damn sexy beast, stop seducing me into your world and let me write my own!

I think Bioware released this on November for a reason.

Why do you hate Nanowrimo, Bioware? Why?

Mr Flibble
11-14-2009, 03:59 AM
There is a baby dwarf running round thanks to my Old Man's loose morals. :D

Baby Dwarf Old Man.

*snerk*

ETA: he's got two women arguing over him lol. CATFIGHT!

Rhys Cordelle
11-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Eww dwarf sex. Nasty.

Zoombie
11-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Dwarves need love too, Rhys!

Mr Flibble
11-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Hey dem girlie dorfs is sex onna stick!

At least my one is :D

Games are temporary
Dorfs is forevah!

Dommo
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Why stop at just one? My dwarf noble had a threesome the night of his departure. He's a pretty a nice guy all around, but horny as a goat.

Jcomp
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
This game is crack. I can't put it down. In the words of Pookie from New Jack City, "It be callin' me, man. It be callin' me."

Rhys Cordelle
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
This game is crack. I can't put it down. In the words of Pookie from New Jack City, "It be callin' me, man. It be callin' me."

:)

It just keeps getting better too!

Rhys Cordelle
11-17-2009, 09:55 AM
You can get jiggy with [Alistair] as a bloke too. :D

Are you sure about this? There's someone on the Dragon Age forums trying to make a mod that allows male characters to have a romance with Alistair, which makes it sound like the official content doesn't allow for that?

Zoombie
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
The thing that blows me perpetually away is the sheer QUALITY of the voice acting.

In that...well...they actually...act.

And ya know, sound and act like real people.

Mr Flibble
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Are you sure about this? There's someone on the Dragon Age forums trying to make a mod that allows male characters to have a romance with Alistair, which makes it sound like the official content doesn't allow for that?

I was only going by what Old Man has told me from what he'd read ( and he's read obsessively about it) pretty much as the game was released

After asking him, it appears that this information was incorrect, but stated ( by several other players as 'fact')because several of the options when you talk to him as a man are relationship / romance oriented. However, after pursuing those options, still no joy on the romance.

Sorry about that.

Zoombie
11-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I was only going by what Old Man has told me from what he'd read ( and he's read obsessively about it) pretty much as the game was released

After asking him, it appears that this information was incorrect, but stated ( by several other players as 'fact')because several of the options when you talk to him as a man are relationship / romance oriented. However, after pursuing those options, still no joy on the romance.

Sorry about that.

BOOOOOOOOO!

But there's still Zevran!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Romantic Heretic
11-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Morrigan's more my type anyway. ;)

Mr Flibble
11-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Old Man swears he saw it on the official thingy at one point that you could have boy boy jiggy jig with Alastair - but it was super hard cos you really had to persuade him. Whether that changed at a later date...

Sorry.

*dictated by Old Man*

Old Man is naughty boy. Leliana and Morrigan, same night. Twice each :D

Once they've had dwarf they never go back.

*end dictation by Old Man*

Considering renaming him Dirty Old Man :D

Zoombie
11-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Dirty Old Man sounds about right.

Rhys Cordelle
11-18-2009, 04:20 AM
But Alistair is so cute :( And it totally feels like he's flirting.

Zoombie
11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I bet the devs had it written in earlier, but removed it at the last second.

<sad>

Rhys Cordelle
11-19-2009, 04:16 AM
I'd made some mistakes with character creation so I decided to start a new game. Playing as a female casteless dwarven rogue. It's awesome! Picking pockets makes such a huge difference financially in this game, and backstabbing is fun too :)

Zoombie
11-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!

That is all.

LOG
11-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Strange, I'm surprised they would pull that out, Alistair was confirmed to be a M/M option long before Zevran. Quite awhile before the game was released actually.

Looks like Alistair and Leliana are the only bisexuals in the companions now.

Rhys Cordelle
11-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I kissed Morrigan. Zevran didn't like that and he told me I have to choose, so I chose him :) Morrigan got pissed off but then she realised that having a guy for a friend would be pretty cool, so everyone's happy now.

Dommo
11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I like my dwarf. He knocked up another dwarf (was an accidental byproduct of a threesome gone wrong), and now he's banging away at morrigan.

Rhys Cordelle
11-22-2009, 04:13 AM
This game is keeping me awake until insane hours in the early morning. I is obsessed!

Zoombie
11-22-2009, 04:19 AM
I started a new mage character cause I realized that, well...the other classes are nessisary and all, but being a mage is too much goddamn fun.

Rhys Cordelle
11-22-2009, 04:48 AM
With my rogue game I'm going to recruit Zevran and Leliana, and then the three of us will be our own little assassin guild :D

I've heard a solo rogue can win the game on normal mode (though how I have no freaking idea), so hopefully I can make this work.

Zoombie
11-22-2009, 04:49 AM
That sounds completely fucking impossible, to say the least.

I mean, a solo character beating the Broodmother? Yeah right, like that's going to happen!

LOG
11-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Solo is possible with enough(read: shit loads) potions and some good strategy, on easy, or normal if you're an epic player. But you have to be a freaking god to pull it off on hard, and just beyond godly to do it on impossible.

Rhys Cordelle
11-22-2009, 02:08 PM
That sounds completely fucking impossible, to say the least.

I mean, a solo character beating the Broodmother? Yeah right, like that's going to happen!

True, big ugly biatch that she is.

I wouldn't even try a solo game, but it would be fun to play it through with just you and Alistair...*sighs*

Rhys Cordelle
11-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Just when you think this game is as awesome as it's gonna get, it gets better :O

Not gonna post spoilers, but when you finish the Dalish Elves/Werewolf quest there's an opportunity to do something really awesome :D

SPMiller
11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I soloed Icewind Dale 2 on the harder difficulty mode. Of course, that was made possible by all the experience being funneled to a single character with overpowered epic D&D stuff. It will now be my pet project to conquer Dragon Age.

Mr Flibble
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Good news on the boy boy jiggy jig with Alastair

It IS possible, I know for I have seen the screen shot

( it was put in and removed at the last minute. You can, however, reactivate it :D If you have Bioware social account, Pm for details how)

Adam
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I do wish people would stop adding more reasons for me to buy this game. :(

;)

SPMiller
11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
The problem with male-male relationships in some past Bioware and Obsidian/Black Isle games was WotC/TSR Executive Meddling via the D&D licensing. Now that Bioware has been free of that nonsense, they have also been freer to pursue portrayals of same-sex love.

LOG
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Kind of reminds me of how Marvel was originally unable to put Mystique and Destiny(Irene Adler) together to have Nightcrawler because transgendering didn't used to be allowed. Although they are confirmed to be a couple now, or were, not sure how that's going right now.

Rhys Cordelle
11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow, thankyou so much IdiotsRUs!

I shagged Alistair! I shagged him rotten baby yeah!

Mr Flibble
11-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Cool, it worked then :D Pork him one for me, will you?

BTW, anyone else found Superman yet? *snicker*

Rhys Cordelle
11-24-2009, 03:44 AM
*sniff*

Just when we finally got together circumstances are pulling us apart. Alas, our love was not meant to be.

LOG
11-24-2009, 08:19 AM
BTW, anyone else found Superman yet? *snicker*
Yep, though I'm not completely sure of the events that are needed to spawn.
I just had Wade make his three armor sets and then found it when I was travelling...

Wavy_Blue
11-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, I may be exposing my ignorance here, but is this game much like Oblivion? The trailers kind of make it look that way, and I was just wondering if I was completely off the mark.

Rhys Cordelle
11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
It has elements of oblivion, but it's not a free roaming world.

Zoombie
11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Its more like Baulder's Gate or Neverwinter Nights than Oblivion.

Zoombie
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Okay, I'm starting up a new character...and I am going to be a complete and utter bitch.

I WILL do it!

I WILL!

...I won't be nice!

I...goddamn it, I suck at being evil!

Rhys Cordelle
11-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I knoow. It's so hard to be mean to Alistair so I've just taken him out of my party ><

I just finished the game with my first character today :D It was amazing! I absolutely loved the massive fight where you only control your MC and all your allies are doing their own thing. It was excellent.

Zoombie
11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Being mean to Alistair is like kicking a puppy...

Also, at first I did not like Sten, but...the dude is actually pretty cool. He is strong willed, has a unique philosophy, and has a permanent supply of cookies.

Sten. Has. Cookies.

Its fucking awesome.

Rhys Cordelle
11-26-2009, 03:27 AM
I was told there would be cake. The cake is a lie.

Zoombie
11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
So, guys, I'm playing the game through as a warrior.

On hard.

I'm playing this game on HARD.

Jesusfuckballs.

Rhys Cordelle
11-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I know right? I'm trying Nightmare, which lives up to its title :S My mage gets hit by three arrows before she cast her first spell and puts her on about a quarter of her life total. Eek!

Romantic Heretic
11-26-2009, 07:33 PM
You people are really into pain, aren't you? ;)

Zoombie
11-27-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm a whimp, I've turned the difficulty back to normal ._.

LOG
11-28-2009, 01:13 AM
The Meteor ore can become the strongest two handed or single hand blade in the game. You gotta take it to the dude in Warden's Keep, then you get a Starmetal blade of your choice.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get Loghain, because I just cannot stand doing that to Alistair, even on my evil chars. On my good characters I have Justice as an excuse to kill Loghain, on evil I have revenge for motivation. I don't think he will ever live...

Jcomp
11-28-2009, 01:48 AM
The only beef I have with this game is there's no "humiliate your enemy's corpse" option after killing some of the more bastardly bastards you come across. That would be all right...

Zoombie
11-28-2009, 02:01 AM
So, guys, its obvious Dragon Age is built for sequels and expansion packs as your Gray Warden travels the lands. I'm thinking she/he will either go to Orlies or maybe Antiva...

Personally, though, I'd love to see a spin off that has a more combat/tactical focus and is about how Logane (who was not always a power hungry bastard) fighting to free Fereldon with Merick and Howe.

So we can kinda learn more about them and the war with Orlies.

Zoombie
11-28-2009, 12:41 PM
All right everyone.

Favorite side conversation between party members...GO!

Alistair: I spy with my little eye something beginning with...G!
Sten: <sigh> Is it Gray Warden. Is it, in fact, you?
Alistair: You're pretty good at this!

Rhys Cordelle
11-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Morrigan: You seem so deep in thought my dear Sten. Thinking of me perhaps? The two of us together at last?

Sten: Yes

Morrigan: ...I- What did you say?

Sten: You will need armor I think, and a helmet, and something to bite down on... How strong are human teeth?

Morrigan: How strong are my teeth?

Sten: Qunari teeth can bite through leather, wood, even metal given time. Which reminds me... I may try to nuzzle.

Morrigan: Nuzzle?

Sten: If that happens you'll need an iron pry bar. Heat it in a fire first or it may not get my attention.

Morrigan:.... Perhaps it would be better if we did not proceed.

Zoombie
11-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Lilliana:"I saw you back there!"
Sten:"Huh?"
Lilliana:"I saw you Sten, I saw what you were doing."
Sten:"I wasn't doing anything."
Lilliana: "Yes you were, you were playing with that kitty."
Sten: "There was no kitten."
Lilliana: "Yes there was, you were dangling twine for it."
Sten: "I was not playing...I was training it."
Lilliana: "Kitty kitty kitty."
Sten: "We shall never speak of this again."
Lilliana: "Kitty!"

LOG
11-29-2009, 01:02 AM
So, guys, its obvious Dragon Age is built for sequels and expansion packs as your Gray Warden travels the lands. I'm thinking she/he will either go to Orlies or maybe Antiva...

Personally, though, I'd love to see a spin off that has a more combat/tactical focus and is about how Logane (who was not always a power hungry bastard) fighting to free Fereldon with Merick and Howe.

So we can kinda learn more about them and the war with Orlies.
...DO you have a different version than me? Cause you're spelling all of the names differently than mine...

Morrigan: You seem so deep in thought my dear Sten. Thinking of me perhaps? The two of us together at last?

Sten: Yes

Morrigan: ...I- What did you say?

Sten: You will need armor I think, and a helmet, and something to bite down on... How strong are human teeth?

Morrigan: How strong are my teeth?

Sten: Qunari teeth can bite through leather, wood, even metal given time. Which reminds me... I may try to nuzzle.

Morrigan: Nuzzle?

Sten: If that happens you'll need an iron pry bar. Heat it in a fire first or it may not get my attention.

Morrigan:.... Perhaps it would be better if we did not proceed.
Where the hell did you hear that?

efkelley
11-29-2009, 01:35 AM
If you wander around with the two of them in your party long enough, you'll hear it. Some of the party conversations are just priceless. Good writing throughout.

Zoombie
11-29-2009, 05:30 AM
I can barely sprell engifh words, let alone fantasy oens.

LOG
12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I can barely sprell engifh words, let alone fantasy oens.
So I see.

Sir Valeq
12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm a bit dissapointed in this game.
I found it way too easy (ended up playing with only 1 companion in the end of my first playthrough, which was on nightmare from the start) and I find completely no replay value in it. Fun chats between companions (which I agree to be really good sometimes) aren't enough too keep me interested in spending more hours with this game.

LOG
12-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm a bit dissapointed in this game.
I found it way too easy (ended up playing with only 1 companion in the end of my first playthrough, which was on nightmare from the start) and I find completely no replay value in it. Fun chats between companions (which I agree to be really good sometimes) aren't enough too keep me interested in spending more hours with this game.
Yeah...video or it didn't happen.
Seriously, if I see a video of you beating each boss on nightmare mode, beginning to end, I'll consider believing you.

Sir Valeq
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Just take a peek at BioWare forums, there's lots of people soloing the game as rogues on nightmare. It is possible, really.
I'm not going to post any kind of proof, however I'd like to actually encourage you to try it yourself. The games is so easily exploitable due to an EXTREMELY poor enemy AI...

Mr Flibble
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
There's one or two who have on the forums

Not 'lots', a very 'few'. Hence our scepticism ( those that have, say that a couple of battles were still quite a challenge)

If you find it too easy, get rat arsed first. If you're squinting at the screen, gotta make it harder, right?

Adam
12-03-2009, 08:50 PM
It sounds like an RPG isn't for you, Valeq. :)

The game is designed to be played multiple times with different classes in different ways. If that doesn't appeal, you're kinda stuffed after the first playthrough. ;)

Rhys Cordelle
12-04-2009, 03:42 AM
If you're taking advantage of exploits then no wonder you're not enjoying the game.

Each of the sidequests has multiple outcomes so the game has definite replay value, especially given the six different origins and 8 different companions that can join you. But it sounds like you're more interested in gameplay than plot, so maybe this game just isn't for you. Personally I really enjoy the gameplay though.

Jcomp
12-04-2009, 03:58 AM
I have to admit, I didn't dig the gameplay at first, but I hadn't played this style of more strategy based RPG with multiple party members in a while, not since the last FF on the PS2. I was so used to Elder Scrolls Oblivion that I was sort of disappointed at the lack of certain freedoms (I still miss jumping, blocking and parrying). But once I got over that (pretty early on) I was all in. Damn good game.

Zoombie
12-04-2009, 06:28 AM
I started a dwarf female noble and for some reason, the game is now really bugged.

That is, everyone keeps calling me a him and its making me cry ;-;

SPMiller
12-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Everyone knows there are no dwarf women. Dwarf children just spring out of holes in the ground. When they refer to the Earth Mother, they mean it literally.

LOG
12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Everyone knows there are no dwarf women. Dwarf children just spring out of holes in the ground. When they refer to the Earth Mother, they mean it literally.
TMT (Too much Tolkien)

LOG
12-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Just take a peek at BioWare forums, there's lots of people soloing the game as rogues on nightmare. It is possible, really.
I'm not going to post any kind of proof, however I'd like to actually encourage you to try it yourself. The games is so easily exploitable due to an EXTREMELY poor enemy AI...
Okay, here it is.
We know it is possible to do the game solo or near-solo on Nightmare. Where we get our disbelief is when you say that you did it on your first playthrough, and that you found it easy/boring. That is why we want proof.
It's possible, simply, highly, highly improbable that you did it.
It's like getting a turkey the first time you ever go bowling. Possible, just really improbable.

Zoombie
12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Also, I loaded up my finished character and was greeted with this little popup saying, "Feel free to play the DLC! Have fun!"

And then it popped me into my camp and everyone was gone and I went, "...I MISS ALISTAIR!" And burst into tears.

So, that brings me to my question: How could ANYONE beat this game solo!? It'd be so...lonely!

Mr. Anonymous
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Game was pretty disappointing to me.

1) Gameplay was less cinematic than kotor. They took out the blade action and dodging and gave us bloody finishers to make up for it.

2) Game highly discourages you from playing without a mage in the party, which limits your options in terms of who to bring.

3) Way too much monotonous combat, way too many inane errands and fetch quests. Took me 40 hours to beat but it could've easily been 20 and been a better game for it. Set pieces and final showdowns (Orzamar and Elves v Werewolves were particularly well done) were great but everything that led up to them, not so much. In a word, Dragon Age draaaaaaagged.

4) Vast majority of side quests have almost as little effort put into them as Mass Effect's.

5) Tremendous amount of documents/books etc that provide context but if you read everything you'll spend more time reading than playing. That they didn't try to incorporate more of this in a more natural way is laziness in my eyes.

6) Plot is cliche and at the same time there are enough interesting tidbits (blight came about because man tried to usurp god's throne, grey wardens can kind of understand archdemons, etc) to frustrate you because they are indicative that Bioware could've done much better.

7) Game progression structure very closely mirrors kotor and Mass Effect. Visit set number of locations and carry out their mini story lines to advance the plot.

8) Graphics are meh. I'm not a graphics whore, hell I bought the game knowing how it looked but it's still disappointing.

9) I did not find the soundtrack memorable. Ended up playing my own music over it.

The only thing I can't complain about is the great cast and great dialogue.

Overall though, the game left me feeling disappointed. Bioware didn't even try to do something new. They gave us the game we already knew they could make rather than innovating.

Zoombie
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I fixed the bugs!

LOG
12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Game was pretty disappointing to me.

1) Gameplay was less cinematic than kotor. They took out the blade action and dodging and gave us bloody finishers to make up for it.

2) Game highly discourages you from playing without a mage in the party, which limits your options in terms of who to bring.

3) Way too much monotonous combat, way too many inane errands and fetch quests. Took me 40 hours to beat but it could've easily been 20 and been a better game for it. Set pieces and final showdowns (Orzamar and Elves v Werewolves were particularly well done) were great but everything that led up to them, not so much. In a word, Dragon Age draaaaaaagged.

4) Vast majority of side quests have almost as little effort put into them as Mass Effect's.

5) Tremendous amount of documents/books etc that provide context but if you read everything you'll spend more time reading than playing. That they didn't try to incorporate more of this in a more natural way is laziness in my eyes.

6) Plot is cliche and at the same time there are enough interesting tidbits (blight came about because man tried to usurp god's throne, grey wardens can kind of understand archdemons, etc) to frustrate you because they are indicative that Bioware could've done much better.

7) Game progression structure very closely mirrors kotor and Mass Effect. Visit set number of locations and carry out their mini story lines to advance the plot.

8) Graphics are meh. I'm not a graphics whore, hell I bought the game knowing how it looked but it's still disappointing.

9) I did not find the soundtrack memorable. Ended up playing my own music over it.

The only thing I can't complain about is the great cast and great dialogue.

Overall though, the game left me feeling disappointed. Bioware didn't even try to do something new. They gave us the game we already knew they could make rather than innovating.

Well you're not critical at all. Let me know when you find a better long-running RPG creator then BioWare...

Mr. Anonymous
12-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Well you're not critical at all. Let me know when you find a better long-running RPG creator then BioWare...

I am critical, because to me their past couple games (Mass Effect and DA:O) do not indicate to me that they're really pushing themselves anymore.

I'm also pissed off at them for saying over and over again that they're not going to make kotor 3 because they want to work on their own unique IPs, and then it turns out they're making The Old Republic. What is incredible to me is that nobody else seems to notice/care about this blatant hypocrisy.

That said, I'm not biased against them. I judge their games no more harshly than I judge others. Fallout 3 -crap. Oblivion - excluding the dark brotherhood, crap. Neverwinter Nights 2 - lots of potential, occasionally inspired, but ultimately crap. Don't even get me started on Fable 2. Peter Molyneux is on my hit list. The last rpg I thought was, as a whole package, well done (though it had its fair share of annoyances as well) was The Witcher.

A lot of people consider games a lesser form of art, and I think they are right in the vast majority of cases, and will continue to be right until we ramp up our expectations. If someone posted Dragon Age's storyline in QLH critters would tear him a new one for so blatantly ripping off Lord of the Rings. Why should we expect less from our games than we do our books?

LOG
12-04-2009, 11:42 PM
I am critical, because to me their past couple games (Mass Effect and DA:O) do not indicate to me that they're really pushing themselves anymore.
Most people disagree with you, as evidenced by the rave reviews those games tend to get.

I'm also pissed off at them for saying over and over again that they're not going to make kotor 3 because they want to work on their own unique IPs, and then it turns out they're making The Old Republic. What is incredible to me is that nobody else seems to notice/care about this blatant hypocrisy.
Because it is essentially going to be several KoTor games in one, just multiplayer style. The real reason for the MMO part of it is WoW, when you have a game that has subscription numbers so far beyond unprecedented that people still gawk at them 5 years later, than alot of investors are willing to go with it. That's why BioWare did it, it was a very good way to rake in moey, people were willing to invest when they heard an RPG king was going to go MMO. Also, this is an incredibly unique IP, no-one, even in the expanded Star Wars universe has ever really touched this area of SW time, it's practically virgin. Until BioWare came along there was nothing here, they are essentially building everything from the ground up.

Fallout 3 -crap. Oblivion - excluding the dark brotherhood, crap. Neverwinter Nights 2 - lots of potential, occasionally inspired, but ultimately crap. Don't even get me started on Fable 2. Peter Molyneux is on my hit list. The last rpg I thought was, as a whole package, well done (though it had its fair share of annoyances as well) was The Witcher.
Falout 3 and Oblivion had okay plots IMO, not exactly original, but okay. Oblivion and Fallout get their good reviews because they are so expansive, beyond any game short of an MMO.
I quite enjoyed the Fable and Fable 2 games. The morality system was very well done. Molyneux took the RPG in a direction a bit different from normal, with an advanced morality system, although decisions were always blatant, they were still well done. And the plot was quite good IMO.
The Witcher has two big glitches as far as I'm concerned, requirements and quests. You needed a monster rig to run it when it came out, and even now, a common PC would still only run well at around medium. THen there's the quests, they are well-done, but more like MMo quests than RPGs. I've heard it called 'the MMO that is not an MMO.' The plot is rather original though, which is not surprising, since it's based off books who were written by a dude from a different culture. Books form other countries always have a style and originality that books of your own country don't. At least it seems that way.

A lot of people consider games a lesser form of art, and I think they are right in the vast majority of cases, and will continue to be right until we ramp up our expectations. If someone posted Dragon Age's storyline in QLH critters would tear him a new one for so blatantly ripping off Lord of the Rings. Why should we expect less from our games than we do our books?
I have no idea what QLH is. But it's not as much a tolkien rip-off as people think. Aesthetically they seem similar, but Tolkien's dwarves are left rather vague so it's hard to say if you rip them off or not. Tolkien's elves and DA:O elves have almost NOTHING in common but their ears. Humans differ quite a bit as well.
Games are a lower art form, because they are not simply art. An artist is known to create for the sheer pleasure. But games need alot fo money to make, whereas just about anyone can write a book, and it's soley there decisions going into it, a game has dozens of people making dozens of decisiosn when ti comes to its creation. Things tend to get muddled.

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 03:54 AM
The thing is, Dragon Age appears to be a cliched fantasy because, well, it has a load of the cliches we know and love in a high fantasy story. However, what makes Dragon Age so captivating (to me at least) is that it takes those cliches and adds a level of detail to them that makes them all seem totally new.

In the overalls? Yeah, its cliched. In the details, it is new.

Its a combination that I think works quite well!

<shrugs> But hey, different strokes for different folks. I also love The Witcher (and am totally looking forward to The Witcher 2) but I have to admit that...Dragon Age kinda handles the mature fantasy a lot more...maturely. The Witcher's handling of sex struck me as kinda immature. Yeah, the hokey sex scenes in Dragon Age are kinda goofey, but at least they're EARNED and with characters we actually give to shits about.

And...don't...get me started on those idiotic cards...

SPMiller
12-05-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm also pissed off at them for saying over and over again that they're not going to make kotor 3 because they want to work on their own unique IPs, and then it turns out they're making The Old Republic. What is incredible to me is that nobody else seems to notice/care about this blatant hypocrisy.Bioware has multiple studios, you know. As far as I know, DA was an Edmonton product, and this so-called Old Republic is an Austin product.

That said, I'm not biased against them. I judge their games no more harshly than I judge others. Fallout 3 -crap. Oblivion - excluding the dark brotherhood, crap. Neverwinter Nights 2 - lots of potential, occasionally inspired, but ultimately crap. Don't even get me started on Fable 2. Peter Molyneux is on my hit list. The last rpg I thought was, as a whole package, well done (though it had its fair share of annoyances as well) was The Witcher. Did you play Mask of the Betrayer?

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Which one is their 'main' studio? Or do they not have a main studio?

SPMiller
12-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Edmonton. They're a Canadian company. Owned by EA.

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Lets just hope that EA keeps their giant meta-dick out of Bioware's business and just throws money at them. Lots and lots of money.

Money + Bioware = Great Game.

Mr. Anonymous
12-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Most people disagree with you, as evidenced by the rave reviews those games tend to get.

Most people have low standards. None of what I said is really debatable. I was simply stating my observations. It's true, for instance, that some people love the combat and so might not mind killing the same enemies over and over again in overly-lengthy dungeon segments. But just because they don't mind, even like that aspect, doesn't mean they wouldn't have liked it more if Bioware did things differently. Also, gaming critics are wusses compared to, say, movie critics. There's so much crap out there that something even remotely decent almost automatically gets a score of 8+.

because it is essentially going to be several KoTor games in one, just multiplayer style.

Ugh. Now they've got you repeating their damn propaganda.

1) It may be several kotor games, but it is not kotor 3. It is set after kotor 3, after the conclusion of the stories of Revan and the Exhile. TOR is not kotor 3, 4, 5... so much as it is kotor 4, 5...

2) They said the reason they weren't going to do Kotor 3 was because they wanted to concentrate on creating their own, unique IPs, referencing Mass Effect and DA:O. The reason they didn't mention TOR was because it would be ABSURD to in light of their own reasoning. Kotor is Star Wars. Doesn't matter if its set thousands of years before the movies, it is NOT their own IP. That was THEIR reasoning, THEIR justification. Which would have been fine and dandy if it didn't turn out that they were in fact developing kotor online. It's hypocrisy plain and simple. The reason for it? You said it yourself. Money.

I quite enjoyed the Fable and Fable 2 games. The morality system was very well done. Molyneux took the RPG in a direction a bit different from normal, with an advanced morality system, although decisions were always blatant, they were still well done. And the plot was quite good IMO.

Fable was good, not everything it was cracked up to be put good (I could certainly find things to complain about. Poorly realized antagonist, for one.) Fable 2 tried to be everything fable was supposed to be, and succeeded on paper. Except it turned out really, really shallow. Interactions with NPCs - shallow. Jobs - shallow. Morality system - shallow. Interactions with your family - shallow. All of that could've MAYBE been excused if the story was great, but IMHO it wasn't. COULD'VE been, a lot of the elements were there, but they settled for yet another shallow story of good vs evil instead.

THen there's the quests, they are well-done, but more like MMo quests than RPGs. I've heard it called 'the MMO that is not an MMO.

Not really sure what you mean by this. MMOs are grindfests. Quests consist of useless errands like kill x amount of creature y and retrieve item B. At least at low levels.

The plot is rather original though, which is not surprising, since it's based off books who were written by a dude from a different culture. Books form other countries always have a style and originality that books of your own country don't. At least it seems that way.

It doesn't take a foreigner to craft an interesting and refreshing fantasy world. Gene Wolfe. Herbert. George R.R. Martin. I could go on.

I have no idea what QLH is.

Query letter hell.

But it's not as much a tolkien rip-off as people think. Aesthetically they seem similar, but Tolkien's dwarves are left rather vague so it's hard to say if you rip them off or not. Tolkien's elves and DA:O elves have almost NOTHING in common but their ears. Humans differ quite a bit as well.

Let's see here. Poorly characterized Dark Lord-esque thing leads its mindless minions in a war against the civilized races of the world. Elves, dwarves, and humans must unite to defeat it. They have done so before, but much time has passed and now their alliance is uncertain. Enter cast of hero/es who must call this alliance into effect and lead the charge against poorly characterized dark lord-esque thing. Throw some politics and inter-species tension/bigotry. Stir. Really, all dragon age was missing was a few midgets and a cheap piece of jewelery.

Games are a lower art form, because they are not simply art. An artist is known to create for the sheer pleasure. But games need alot fo money to make, whereas just about anyone can write a book, and it's soley there decisions going into it, a game has dozens of people making dozens of decisiosn when ti comes to its creation. Things tend to get muddled.

Won't disagree with you there. Where you're right you're right.

Bioware has multiple studios, you know. As far as I know, DA was an Edmonton product, and this so-called Old Republic is an Austin product.

...sorry but, what's your point?

Did you play Mask of the Betrayer?

No, but you're not the first to mention it to me... I've heard the story is "brilliant." Would you agree?

LOG
12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Well part of the reason you find it dis-satisfying is because you compare games to other media. Games should be compared to games. The difference between all the different media forms means that trying to compare the two is useless. There are far more books that tried to become movies and fail horribly, both in following the plots, and the execution of the movie, then those that have succeeded. LOTR, and maybe, maybe HP. But so many others just fail. Same idea with games, there's no good way by which to compare the two because of the massive differences in execution.
Even plot is hard to contrast, the plots of games are heavily influenced by technology, time, and money contraints. Books not so much. I remember attending a sitting with George R.R. Martin at the Valleycon. One of his points that stuck with me was when he stated that when he used to be a screenwriter, he was always getting chunks slashed out of his scripts because of reality contraints. So he decided to write a book series that would be as long, intricate, and involve as many character as he 'damned well pleased.' :P Thuse we have 'A Song of Ice and Fire.'

While it's true that DA:O plot is very similar to Tolkien's, that is the standard save the world plot. There's only so many ways to go about it, stop the conquerors, or prevent some sort of terrible disaster...
Part of DA:O's appeal was supposed to be a different take on the whole, 'saving the world' routine. It was made to be dark fantasy, and succeeds rather well. Not the darkest game ever made(*coughCondemnedcough*), but pretty dark in the realm of fantasy games, especially ones that involve saving the world.

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 09:34 AM
And I'd argue that it was a brilliant execution of a well worn concept.

efkelley
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
If the game is that hum-drum, then I'd suggest not playing it. It's really that simple.

Rhys Cordelle
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I started a dwarf female noble and for some reason, the game is now really bugged.

That is, everyone keeps calling me a him and its making me cry ;-;

True? I heard of this happening in reverse, that someone playing a dwarven male noble was getting called 'she'. That sucks.

The dwarven noble origin is fantastic. Once I got to Ostagar and King Cailan greeted me I soooo wanted to say "Gorim, why is this one speaking at me?"

Rhys Cordelle
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM

I think it's a beautiful game. Can you suggest some RPGs that look prettier?

You sound like a very hard man to please. I'm curious to know what games have impressed you.

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I suppose one could say Mass Effect has better textures and animations.

Rhys Cordelle
12-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm trying it as a solo mage on hard. Just getting through the origin story was a challenge, but now I'm in the Korcari Wilds and getting slapped around by darkspawn while Alistair, Jory and Daveth point and laugh at me :(

LOG
12-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm trying it as a solo mage on hard. Just getting through the origin story was a challenge, but now I'm in the Korcari Wilds and getting slapped around by darkspawn while Alistair, Jory and Daveth point and laugh at me :(
Don't stand in front.

Zoombie
12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Well,; Jory and Daveth can laugh all they want...you'll be the one laughing when the Joining Ceremony is over!

Rhys Cordelle
12-06-2009, 01:36 AM
That's assuming my squishy little mage makes it to the joining. lol

Zoombie
12-06-2009, 01:39 AM
My dwarf gal is anything but squishy.

Well...she is squishy. Once the armor comes off :3

Rhys Cordelle
12-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I seriously don't know how someone solos a mage on hard successfully. This is crazy stuff.

Zoombie
12-06-2009, 03:10 AM
I don't see why anyone WOULD solo.

As I said, without Alistair to crack jokes, Morrigan to role her eyes, Wynne to be wise, Sten to be gruff and yet a complete softy underneath, Zevran to hit on you, you doggy to pet...I mean, what the hell is the point to play without them!?

LOG
12-06-2009, 04:01 AM
what the hell is the point to play without them!?
Bragging rights.

Mr Flibble
12-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Bragging rights.

Which are worth what exactly?

Zoombie
12-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Zilch by me.

Rhys Cordelle
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not doing it for bragging rights. I'm doing it to see if the braggers are full of crap, lol. Plus the challenge is kinda fun, in a masochistic kinda way.

I haven't told anyone to take a hike. They're still all sitting around camp, waiting for me to chat them up and offer them gifts when I'm feeling lonely ;)

LOG
12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Which are worth what exactly?
The rights themselves? Not much. But having accomplished the game in a very difficult manner wouldn't be much fun if you couldn't brag to someone about it.

Rhys Cordelle
12-06-2009, 03:05 PM
This is War is out now :D

It's the 30 seconds to mars album with the This is War song that features on dragon age (during the credits) and is also used on one of the promo ads for DA.

LOG
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I know, it is an epic song isn't it?

Rhys Cordelle
12-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I loves it :)

Zoombie
12-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Squee!

<buys Album>

Mr. Anonymous
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
If the game is that hum-drum, then I'd suggest not playing it. It's really that simple.

A little late for that. Besides. I don't regret playing it. It's a good game. But not extraordinary, IMO, and I think the raving reviews from users and critics alike are glossing over/completely omitting a lot of important points.

The difference between all the different media forms means that trying to compare the two is useless.

Bad pacing is bad pacing. Regardless of whether it is in a book, or a movie, or a game. Great characters are great characters, regardless of whether they are in a game, movie, or book. And a derivative story and structure are derivative, regardless of whether they are featured in a movie, game, or book.

Even plot is hard to contrast, the plots of games are heavily influenced by technology, time, and money contraints.

I disagree. It is not the plot that is influenced, so much as the execution of the plot. I am criticizing both. And furthermore, considering Bioware is one of the premier RPG developers in the world, and considering how long they were at this game, I take that statement with a good deal of salt.

I remember attending a sitting with George R.R. Martin at the Valleycon.

I'm jealous.

While it's true that DA:O plot is very similar to Tolkien's, that is the standard save the world plot

You're right, of course. But just because I agree with you doesn't mean I think its a valid excuse.

There's only so many ways to go about it, stop the conquerors, or prevent some sort of terrible disaster...

Granted, but that's no excuse for not trying to do something different. The same argument could apply to, ie, romantic comedies. "They're only so many ways to tell that kind of story." Which is probably why most of those movies, in my opinion, are fluff. Not necessarily bad, but they won't MOVE you. The ones that try to do something more, those are the ones that you remember, the ones that stick with you.

Part of DA:O's appeal was supposed to be a different take on the whole, 'saving the world' routine. It was made to be dark fantasy, and succeeds rather well. Not the darkest game ever made(*coughCondemnedcough*), but pretty dark in the realm of fantasy games, especially ones that involve saving the world.

Eh. It's darker than typical high fantasy, I'll grant you that. And some of the elements are there... But it still doesn't quite deliver, to my mind. I'll give you an example. I love the idea of man trying to usurp god's throne and then god essentially abandoning mankind. That's good stuff. 100% original? Probably not, but it's relatively original and moreover, it is provocative. But the world you travel through doesn't really ever capture this feeling. I mean, imagine a world that believes in a God that has turned away from them. Now ask yourself if Dragon Age really captures that feeling? Really capitalizes on it?

I think it's a beautiful game. Can you suggest some RPGs that look prettier?

Demon's Souls. Lost Odyssey. Fable 2. Eternal Sonata. Gears of War isn't an rpg but it came out quite a while ago and still blows DA:O away. Heck, even Bioware's own Mass Effect is more impressive visually.

Also, I suppose I should mention that I played the 360 version, which looks significantly worse than the PC version.

You sound like a very hard man to please.

It's not so much that I am hard to please. I suppose, if I'm really going to be honest with you, that I'm bitter. I'm bitter because these people have millions of dollars and a highly talented team at their disposal, and yet instead of trying to innovate and really push themselves they're playing it safe. I'm bitter because I, an unpublished 19 year old, am pretty sure that I can, given the basic foundation (story-wise) that games like Fable 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 and DA:O have, can write a more memorable story. And I'm bitter because people seem of the mind that it's okay.

I'm curious to know what games have impressed you.

Story wise? Final Fantasy X wasn't perfect but was memorable. Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel. Bioshock was inspired (granted, I never played System Shock), though the game got significantly less interesting after the showdown with Ryan (and though I think the team missed quite a few potentially fascinating opportunities.) Haven't finished Persona 4 but so far I like it a lot. Haven't finished Planescape Torment but it certainly deserves a shout out, from what I've seen so far. I also like Assassin's Creed's story. Kill 9 people who deserve to be offed. Sounds like a pretty simple premise, right? But the game shows you that who deserves to be offed and who doesn't can be fairly ambiguous. Throw in a twist at the end, and you've got a neat story. Even Assassin's Creed 2 is worth mentioning, if only for the poor execution of a highly ambitious and fairly original story.

Zoombie
12-07-2009, 04:25 AM
You are assuming that the Maker is even real.

Andraste could have just been listening to a Demon. The Black City in the Fade could be...well...anything. The only people who ever went there are the Magesters from the Tivinter Imperium.

Frankly, there's enough mystery and ambiguity that one could argue either way.

Just like...ya know...the real world.

Rhys Cordelle
12-07-2009, 06:05 AM
Yeah, that was intentional. Even when you get the sacred ashes oghren points out that they could be affected by the huge amounts of lyrium in the temple. There's also a quest in the wilds where you sprinkle someones ashes on a site to summon a demon, so I guess Andraste isn't the only one with post mortem powers.

Zoombie
12-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Heck, Andraste could have been a Pride Abomination with unusual aspirations...

Just don't tell anyone from the Chantry that!

Mr. Anonymous
12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Zombie and Rhys,

You make interesting points. However, with regard to the following...

You are assuming that the Maker is even real.

I wrote:

"imagine a world that believes in a God that has turned away from them."

So, no, no I am not.

I am assuming that the vast majority of inhabitants think the maker is real, and think that aforementioned real maker has abandoned them. I am assuming that THEY believe themselves to be living in what is essentially a condemned, forsaken world. I think that is a fair assumption to make.

Zoombie
12-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Except that I'd argue about the "vast majority" of the inhabitants thinking that. There is most likely a spread of people who range from the very religious to the not very religious at all...and then there are the Dwarves, who believe in the Paragons and the Stone and then there are the Dalish elves who are trying to recover their old gods.

And even within the Chantry proper, there are disagreements and arguments as to what means what...there are the Chanters (who take the Chant very literally and find comfort in the knowledge that they're helping to bring the Maker back), then there are people like Lillianna (who believe that the Maker is in everything, no matter what the Chantry says).

Then there are people who don't give two shits.

<shrugs> The world has enough beauty and wonder in it for people to get by with the hopes that the Maker will come back. Heck, doesn't a large portion of THIS planet manage to survive and find happiness with the belief that we've all inherited a sin so bad that its been passed down for THOUSANDS of years!?

LOG
12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Well the thing is that while most Ferelden's follow the Chantry teachings, they are a very practical people, so contemplating the sinds of mankind is probably not something the common person will do on a daily basis.
Even then, while the Chantry is wide-spread, it's greatest influence is mainly Ferelden and Orlais. There's alot of the world we don't know about. Thedas is only one continent, it's been implied there are whole other continents out there we don't know about yet.
What do you imagine the world should have been like?

Zoombie
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, they have a Chantry in Tivinter, its just really different...and supports a magocracy.

LOG
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, they have a Chantry in Tivinter, its just really different...and supports a magocracy.
Which means it's nothing like the Ferelden Chantry at all.

Zoombie
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Exactamundo. The implication was that it was founded just to keep the followers of Andraste from sacking them completely, and then it was slowly shifted to go back to their old ways.

Rhys Cordelle
12-08-2009, 01:45 AM
I hope there's a Dragon Age set in Tevinter :)

Zoombie
12-08-2009, 03:03 AM
I still support my prequel about Logane tossing the Orlesians out of Fereldon.

Dragon Age RTS/RPG hybrid, you know you want one!

LOG
12-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I still support my prequel about Logane tossing the Orlesians out of Fereldon.

Dragon Age RTS/RPG hybrid, you know you want one!
Loghain, Ferelden

You mean a hybrid like Spellforce? (which is epic btw)

Zoombie
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
...weren't you named JJM recently?

LOG
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
...weren't you named JJM recently?
Yes, yes I was, I decided to go with LOG. I'd tell you why but I like being anonymous.

And you didn't answer the question.

Zoombie
12-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Cool!

Well, my crazy-imagination idea is something similar to Jagged Alliance crossed with the Total War series, where you have a core group of soldiers at the start. You fight tactical, turn base battles, with a minimal amount of inventory management and a maximum tactical choices. Once you win a few fights, your fame grows and the surviving members of both the Aristocracy and the Common Folk sign on with you. As they do so, the game adds a second layer of gameplay. The map expands from your local area to the entire country.

At this point, you have to send "agents", which can either be warriors, rogues or mages. Agents, when they get to an area, can act as proxy commanders rather than you actually being there. They can also train units or craft. Warriors train fighters and hounds, rogues train archers and Assassins, while Mages train herbalists and can also craft magical items. They can also direct the local civilians to produce food and supplies, armor and horses, that kind of stuff.

As you gain fame, more Agents join your ranks, gaining in power as they train, fight, and craft. Support units, like herbalists or assassins, can be attached to units of archers and warriors to increase their efficiency, or they can be sent off to do special missions like brewing super potions or taking down Orlesian commanders. Liberating areas gives you more common folk to train into grunt units.

But the Orlesians have a load of powerful knights, mages and rogues on their side, and lots of the population is unsure of your ability to lead them to freedom, so you will have to be tricky, fight with guerrilla tactics, build up your forces in secret bases in the forests and the mountains.

The enemy have two weak points, though: There are more people they are oppressing than there are people doing the oppression, and they have to get supplies from Orlaise, while your troops are better at living off the land.

Eventually, your armies get large enough to kick the Orlesians out in open combat. You fight them out, clear every territory, and keep King Merrik alive and out of enemy hands. If you lose him, Howe, Lord Cousland, or yourself (I,E Loghain), then you lose the game. Gotta have those people alive for Dragon Age proper, ya know!

LOG
12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Maric.

You could probably replace agents with the more main characters. Loghain was a major commander in the latter part of the Orlesian occupation, and it's hard to control a battle from far away. So maybe a set-up more like Warcraft, where you follow a set of characters around.

Zoombie
12-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Possibly.

I dunnkow, I'm just tossing ideas around.

Rhys Cordelle
12-09-2009, 06:05 AM
I dropped difficulty to normal and now I can solo, hehe.

But bloody hell that Ogre in the tower was a nightmare.

LOG
12-09-2009, 06:26 AM
I dropped difficulty to normal and now I can solo, hehe.

But bloody hell that Ogre in the tower was a nightmare.
One word: Kiting.

defcon6000
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Well I'm torrenting this right now (just one more day!) and was wondering what would be a good class/race to start out as. I'm kinda leaning toward dwarf warrior because short people are funny, but scary when holding sharp things. If the spells are visually awesome I may try a mage, although it sucks soloing a clothy.

Sir Valeq
12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
It sounds like an RPG isn't for you, Valeq. :)

The game is designed to be played multiple times with different classes in different ways. If that doesn't appeal, you're kinda stuffed after the first playthrough. ;)

No no, cRPGs are actually the only kind of games I play. I just didn't find the replay value in this particular title. My guess is that it could be because of the cliche plot and its predictability. Whenever I made a choice in my first (and only) playthrough, in 90% of the cases I correctly guessed what the other side of it would look like, thus I didn't find myself motivated to spend another 20 hours of levelling just to come to the Anvil of the Void again and spare it this time (an example).

As for replaying with a different class... I hardly find it appealing in a team-based game. I mean, I already had a warrior, a mage and a rogue in my first party so I already know how they all work, because the game allowed me to micromanage every party member.

I also think that the game is full of black-white choices, seriously lacking grey-grey ones. One thing I liked The Witcher for was having grey-grey choices all throughout the game, sometimes even grey-grey-grey ones! :D That made me play it three times.

Zoombie
12-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Well I'm torrenting this right now (just one more day!) and was wondering what would be a good class/race to start out as. I'm kinda leaning toward dwarf warrior because short people are funny, but scary when holding sharp things. If the spells are visually awesome I may try a mage, although it sucks soloing a clothy.

Um...please buy this game when you can. Cause, uh, its really worth the 40-50 bucks. Really really worth it.

defcon6000
12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Um...please buy this game when you can. Cause, uh, its really worth the 40-50 bucks. Really really worth it.
I'm sure it is, seeing as nearly everyone raves about it and knowing BioWare makes amazing games. I have bought NWN + expansions and KOTOR 1 and 2, so I've contributed. Buuuut...it's published by EA (which is weird because I swear NWN was published by Activision and they're a good publisher). Anyways, I've vowed never to give money to EA. Plus, 50 bucks is steep, especially in this economy.

LOG
12-12-2009, 07:34 AM
There are deals all over the place, D2D had one that dropped the price to 40.

efkelley
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/) has regular specials and sales on big titles. DA was 25% discounted over Thanksgiving. I'd expect another sale over Xmas, possibly for a larger discount.

In general I'm not against grabbing a game to try it out. If I'm dropping $50 on something, I'll want it to hold my interest. However, once I've determined sale/no-sale I'll delete it from the drive. Reason being, my business is writing. I wouldn't want someone grabbing my book for free. I certainly don't mind samples, but if they want to see it all, I expect my cut. After that they can read it until the ink evaporates, and with my blessing. :D

Zoombie
12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, Dragon Age: Still awesome.

Just as a status update.

LOG
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, Dragon Age: Still awesome.

Just as a status update.
I have been busy trying to get all of my ME chars to level 60 in time for ME2, it's alot of work, even with all of the experience achieves it's only a 15% increase.

Zoombie
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
When does ME2 come out for PC?

LOG
12-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Same time as everything else, January 26.

More BioWare controvery (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=117131)(From more people you have obviously never played it...)>.>
And here it is defended. (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3817/General-Dragon-Age-Sex-Controversey-Examined.html)

I confess. I boinked the elf and I did it for the achievements.
Recently, as videos circulated online, conservative website WorldNetDaily (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=117131) kicked off a controversy about Bioware’s Dragon Age. The video in question shows (and I am quoting WND) “dirty gay sex” in a video game.
Naturally, people freaked out.
The problem is that the original WorldNetDaily report was quite clearly based off a YouTube video, not any actual experience with the game itself.
If they had played the game, they’d probably be far more upset. Dragon Age also features digital prostitutes, lesbians, rather clean three way sex, inter-species erotica, war, decapitation, thinly veiled social commentary, alcohol, drug addiction, slavery, racism, sexism, sexual harassment, genocide, the death of children, demons, and more blood than a vampire drinking game.

Zoombie
12-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I like how they are like, "You can kill a demon possessed child!"

But they forget to mention that that is one of THREE possible endings. One of which results in no one dying...save the demon, of course.

Rhys Cordelle
12-15-2009, 01:32 AM
This game is not for kids, so I'm not sure how they have grounds to protest.

efkelley
12-15-2009, 09:11 AM
This game is not for kids, so I'm not sure how they have grounds to protest.

Logical. And, alas, irrelevant. Humans are good at finding controversy, even if they have to make it all up.

Zoombie
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
In other news: I still love this game.

I got my dwarf gal the sword you can make if you find the meteor impact, forged it into a massive broadsword. It is *awesome*.

She's had 300 decapitations with it!

Rhys Cordelle
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
And the best part is when Superman tries to put a stop to your evil empire you can decapitate him with your sword of kryptonite!

Zoombie
12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
...wait, what?

Also, yay, I have Wynn. Which means I can now leave Morrigan at home, the evil conniving bitch.

Zoombie
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I just realized that calling this game a "save the world quest" is kinda misleading.

Really, if you fail in your quest, the Blight would destroy Ferelden, and then the other nations of the world would have to fight a long, bloody, costly campaign to squash it.

But the world, really, would not be in too much danger.

So, its more of a "Save the nation" quest.

LOG
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I just realized that calling this game a "save the world quest" is kinda misleading.

Really, if you fail in your quest, the Blight would destroy Ferelden, and then the other nations of the world would have to fight a long, bloody, costly campaign to squash it.

But the world, really, would not be in too much danger.

So, its more of a "Save the nation" quest.
The point is that the blight were able to overtake Ferelden, it would become a massive staging ground, where the Blight hordes could group and create more darkspawn, and gain enough strength to pose a large threat tot he rest of the world.

Jcomp
12-15-2009, 11:11 PM
...wait, what?

The description of the meteorite the sword is forged from implies that it's a remnant of Krypton...

Zoombie
12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Aaahaaah!

That's true, that's all true.

Also, Alistair remains the cutest romance option ever.

Rhys Cordelle
12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I love Morrigan. I want to know what happens next for her.

Zoombie
12-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I hate Morrigan.

But that's why Dragon Age is awesome: It has something for everyone.

LOG
12-17-2009, 05:59 AM
QFT

Wavy_Blue
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, Dragon Age picked up IGN's Best PC Game of the Year award.

Oh, how I wish my computer could handle this game...

LOG
12-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Buy a laptop. Not as much power or customizability of a desktop, but a modenr one can generally handle something like DA:O.

Rhys Cordelle
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
As long as it's plugged into the wall. If you're running it on the battery it goes chunky, at least on my sony vaio it does.

I'm so glad it got best PC game. That's a pretty major achievement in competition with all the first person shooters that are so popular.

LOG
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
ME2 is just gonna pwn.
A RPG and a shooter, imagine if it took best in both categories :D

Zoombie
12-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Well, we've had an RPG/Shooter before.

Boarderlands.

Though...that was more of a loot/shoot RPG

ME2 will be a shoot/story...hopefully.

LOG
12-24-2009, 02:35 AM
It's BioWare, how can you doubt?

Robin
12-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Aaaaack, why, Alistair, why did you dump me? I can give you all the tainted little heirs you need!

efkelley
12-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Make fun of his hair and remind him how unloved he was as a child. Then stab him while he's crying in the corner. :D

Rhys Cordelle
12-28-2009, 06:39 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/729622531_L2biL-L.jpg

LOG
12-29-2009, 01:58 AM
This is a lesson not to have any good equipment on people who leave you.

Zoombie
12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
How can you be mean to Alistair? He's the best!

dclary
12-29-2009, 10:51 PM
This is a lesson not to have any good equipment on people who leave you.

I've just started... but once I discovered Jory and Devarth (whoever) were going to fail the Joining, I restarted and stripped them naked so their sacrifice wouldn't go for naught.

So far, my hot red-headed female elvish mage is earning love points with Alistair, and I think Morrigan has some chick-on-chick soft loving in my future.

I just started the battle of Ostrigar, so I probably have a very long time before I get payoff for that though. I did have fun giving a Templar blue balls back in the Circle. That was hilarious.

dclary
12-29-2009, 10:52 PM

I love her outfit. But for the record I love any woman who's willing to give me unending sideboobage. Or top boobage. Hell. Boobage in general is a big plus for me.