PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Query Trend (for me, anyway)

Cyia
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Have any of you had the experience of having almost exclusively one gender of agent like your writing - and not the one you'd expect?

Probably 95% of the requests I've gotten are from men - and all of the detailed feedback came from them. I was almost certain that what I sent out would appeal more to women. Go figure. :Shrug:

Parametric
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
That's pretty unusual, especially since the majority of agents are female.

Phaeal
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I was thinking that my novel under query would appeal more to male agents, given the young male protagonist; however, I don't see any difference in response between male and female agents. This probably makes more sense, since I also have a prominent female protag and hope that the novel would appeal equally to both genders.

Come to think further, a good agent should be able to pick a winner regardless of which gender the book might be tilted toward, shouldn't she, or he?

Hmm. Have any studies been made of whether there are more female agents repping "female" genres (romance), more male agents repping "male" genres (action/adventure, military thriller)? As for SF/F, my own primary genres, I find them to be pretty "bigender," as far as agents are concerned.

ink wench
10-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Yup, I'm the same way, especially with the novel that landed me an agent. But overall, I've gotten more praise about my writing from male agents. The two agents who ended up offering to rep me were also men. And yet all of my MCs have been women or girls. I did find it kind of interesting.

Moost
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Hmmmm. Never thought about that until now, but my protagonist is a 22 year old male and my first two requests were from women.

Libbie
10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
So far, it's been exactly what I expected: Male agents rejecting my very woman-oriented historical, the only exception being the guy who specifically said he likes Egyptian stories. And women being interested, or at least giving me more detailed rejections.

Twizzle
10-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Yup, I'm the same way, especially with the novel that landed me an agent. But overall, I've gotten more praise about my writing from male agents. The two agents who ended up offering to rep me were also men. And yet all of my MCs have been women or girls. I did find it kind of interesting.

Me too. Same exact thing. Requests were mixed, but my offers came from men and the most personalized responses --male agents. And I wrote a romantic comedy. Go figure.

Madison
10-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Not quite the OP, but my list of to-be-queried agents is at least 95% female. I tried to make myself branch out at times, but my book is aimed at a female audience (YA paranormal romance/urban fantasy) and it seems like most agents who rep that genre are female, anyway. I think I queried a male agent last week, so we'll see...