Leg Injury Needed: Apply Within

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fed up with my own ideas for how to abuse my MC. I've finally caved and come to beg help from experts.

My character is male, nearly eighteen, moderately physically active, and prone to getting himself into comedic, awkward, usually painful situations. In this case, he's in a remote area of China in the summer/spring, alone. He's a treasure hunter of sorts and hours before lost the thing he was looking for to his dastardly foes. Now he's on his way home to sulk and come up with a new action plan. I need him to get a leg injury that will take at least two months healing and doesn't require major surgery. He's in the middle of the jungle and going to be found by a very poor family. I'd rather not have to give him gangrene and chop his leg off.

I also need this injury to leave him disabled, enough that he'll have difficulty moving over uneven terrain, sometimes wear a leg brace or use a cane for added support and have a limp. The manner of delivery for this injury is the trouble, as I'm not sure what kind of injury will give me the results I'm looking for. The hip is off limits, but anything else is fair game. I've contemplated everything from throwing him over a waterfall, bear attack, snake bite, elephant attack, moose attack (it was going to happen in Alaska at one point, and may still, so keep an open mind), parachute failure, to tripping over a rock. I don't care if it's an animal attack or a fall or any other means-he's quite good at aggravating everyone around him and is an utter coward, so if confronted he's likely to run away or try to hide.

Side note: He uses a personal transportation system that resembles a miniature helicopter and is worn as a backpack. Feel free to break it.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
My husband broke his foot by falling 15' from a tree. Fortunately he landed upright or he could have broken his back. He was in a cast and on the couch, as I recall, for about 6 weeks. It was several years before he could wear dress shoes again.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
Plantar Fasciitis. That's what I have. Its an inflammatory injury of the foot/heel that occurs and is cured naturally (most of the time). It usually lasts for 3 or 4 months when you're actively trying to heal it. It can be severely painful to the point where you cant even place your foot on the ground, which would require extreme limping. I believe it's caused by prolonged use of the foot, and is often much worse in cold temperature and in the morning. I have had it on and off since I was 17. I was running to get in shape for the prom.

Last edited:

Bluegate

Clearly has too much time on hand.
Registered
Reaction score
What is this? Some kind of stalker question?
Well what about a back injury? He can easily mess up some lower discs and that can seriously mess up his legs. It only needs to be a damaged area that intially is severe and intense as the muscles spasm trying to pull the disc back into place. He would be incapacitated for some time while the swelling and spasming calmed down. Then he would be able move again but uneven terrain would certainly cause the issue to flare up again and could easily knock him flat in no time so soon after the initial injury.
A few well placed pinched nerves and your guy is down for the count. There are motor related nerves and there are pain nerves. Hit either one and your guy is screwed. Pinch a pain nerve and Rambo will be crying for his mommy.
Cool thing is, you can control this injury like a radio dial.

Last edited:

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Plantar Fasciitis I am familiar with, but that is usually caused by constant movement or position that is new or repeated and stressful for the tendon. I need a sudden, crippling injury. The back problems would actually be almost ideal, but they won't force his traveling companions to leave him in the jungle for a period of time (a week to two months) when they find him, and it'll give me plotholes later. Most of the scenarios I've been throwing around involve breaking of the leg, foot, or knee. I've been using the idea of breaking a bone since I'm much more knowledgeable with such injuries and their treatment. Is anyone familiar with nerve damage to the leg? How, where, and why?

Eponaleah

Check out my Photoblography!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eponaleah.wordpress.com
What about a torn ACL or any of the ligaments in the knee? Doesn't take much more than a good twist and you are incapacitated. I know people that have not had the surgery for a torn ACL and eventually recovered enough to walk normally, though the knee does collapse once in a while.

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I broke my ankle a few years back. It was a clean break, so no surgery was involved. I was in a cast for eight weeks and my leg was weak and a little painful for another two. That would be perfect. I wasn't in any great pain, but wouldn't get around very easily on my crutches.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Nerve damage will take too long to get any better, unless it's a nerve being pinched/inflamed and the pinching can be resolved. That could be good... and can be acute.

But yeah, I've got permanent nerve damage and temporary nerve damage. Whatcha looking for? The little one from a cut foot is supposed to get better in 1-2 years. The others from disease, never.

I'd go with the inflamed/piching kind. Um, compartment syndromes would be good to google. And there's a knee one that's perfect but I can't think of the name. It's from the outside of the knee to the hip, if that rings a bell for anyone...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw your new post. Long enough compression will do it. A bad cut will do it. Disease is a whole nother can of worms.

Maybe a badly compressed nerve from an injury?

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
I worked with someone that had an Achilles tendon rupture. He was just playing basketball, and his Achilles just snapped. He couldn't walk for a few months on it, and even three years later now, he doesn't walk just right on that foot.

Here's a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/achilles-tendon-rupture/DS00160

Or sometimes a severe sciatica might do it, although that doesn't stem in the leg, it's just as incapacitating to walk.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I was run over by a filly in the field. Every single bone in my ankle snapped. I had 13 screws and 2 plates. I was in bed for 6 weeks, had to learn to walk all over again (was on crutches and boot for 3 months), and once I did fully walk on my own, I realized my ankle wasn't put together properly and I have a slight limp. Not enough for anyone to really notice, but I assume if it were offset just a bit more, I'd limp more noticeably.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Clipped in the knee. Someone could slip and slam into his knee. Really hurts, and he might not be able to put any weight on it. Someone slipped on the grass and slammed into my knee--so painful that even on crutches, I was asking people for rides to the nearby messhall. Every little turn hurt. Never knew what muscles I had until they all hurt.

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
The sacroiliac joint can cause a number of issues. I have scoliosis which has caused the issue with my sacroiliac joint, but it can occur from a number of different things.

Usually treatment of a bad sacroiliac joint is physiotherapy. A tricky sacroiliac can lead to limping (permanently) like I have (albeit my limp is only slight, but it can be quiet bad in some) due to pelvic displacement from tight muscles around the joint.

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I think an unknown spiral fracture, a few contusions, combined with first responders with second-grade education and third-world home remedies ought to do it. Give him a spiral fracture on one side that he doesn't know about and an intramuscular contusion, which he's familiar with, and make him walk on it. That will damage the bone sufficiently to require first-world medical care to fix. Have it misdiagnosed by the people who find him, and boom! Permanent limp that takes far too much surgery for too little improvement to bother. I might add in something else, just because I'm mean and he's easy to abuse.

Thank you all for your advice! It was very helpful, and kept me from giving in to my frustrations and feeding him to a bear.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
You've got a bunch of good suggestions here. How about if he is chased into a shallow cave by a brown bear (Alaska). The bear reaches in and claws a pound of flesh out of his leg, but can't get any closer to him. It would take a long while to heal and he'd probably have a permanent limp.

Billytwice

Registered
Reaction score
If he's in the jungle, how about a snake bite?
Some snake venoms cause muscle wastage which would be permanent.

K.Bristow

Somewhere between sanity & jumping
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a debilitating injury, go for the knees. I broke mine skiing (with a neat twist as my ski didn't release - ended up with my leg underneath me and up by my shoulder blade) torn EVERYTHING - ligs, tendons, muscles, broke the knee cap and chipped all 4 "knobs" on both top and bottom leg bones. Walking in the winter is a challenge at time, can tell you when it's going to rain and YES Virginia, she had a limp! Really, knees are common to accidents and all hell can break loose with whatever you want to be wrong with the guy. Somewhere, someone knows someone who had that exact problem. Hey, now you do too! {giggle} Hope that helps.

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
The impact injury you all led me to isn't working out well. I'm feeding him to a bear. After I drop him thirty feet to land on his leg, anyway. Whatever the fall doesn't do, the bear will and he'll still end up with the level of injury needed. I'm a little mean, aren't I? If only he weren't so easy to abuse...