"Heat Wave" - Castle TV show tie-in novel

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So on the tv show Castle, the character Richard Castle wrote a crime novel called "Heat Wave". Now there's an actual book out in bookstores called "Heat Wave" by Richard Castle. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401323820/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Anybody know who actually wrote the damn thing? I can't figure it out.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, name me your favorite real book written by a fictional character!

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know who actually wrote the damn thing? I can't figure it out.

I looked through the acknowlegments at the end of the book when I saw it the other day. There are a couple of names in there that I thought held possibilities for being the true writer(s), just from the way it sounded, but ...:Shrug:

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Isn't it brilliant? I just love that they did this :D

It's one of the show's writers, I reckon. What's interesting me more today is that, according to his Twitter, Mr Castle is doing a book signing today. So who's showing up for that? Nathan?

This show is cracked. And that is exactly why I adore it *giggles*

eta: NATHAN!!!

OMG, talk about life imitating art! Or is that the other way around? I'm confused!

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God this is awesome. :D

edit: Two other brilliant things ...
  • James Patterson? The James Patterson? The one who appears as himself in the series as one of Castle's poker-playing writer buddies? Provided a cover quote.
  • The book debuted on the NYT bestseller list. So now Castle actually is a NYT bestseller.

That's beautiful. :tongue

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and... it's a great read!

(and yes, IT is on page 150!)

:D

HA! You flipped right to page 150, didn't you? :D Awesome. I may have to cave in and buy it--there's one copy in the LA library system...and I'm #56 on the list to read it :p But srsly, who's the author?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'm sure it was ghost written.

They'll do anything to sell a book these days, huh?

Although...I do LOVE Castle. :) So I can see why/how it would work. But it better be a decent book!

If it is, they could start a whole new mystery series. LOL.

Susan G.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com

Well since it's "by" a fictional character, I would say so!

I've read the first three chapters (ABC had weekly installments on their website) and I wouldn't say that HEAT WAVE is brilliant fiction, but it has the same tongue-in-check flavour of Castle's episodes. It's fun.

I love how Rook has it going on for Nikki. Actually, I just love "Rook" :D

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You're saying it wasn't written by a fictional character? :) Nor by Nathan Fillion himself? The man can solve a murder and captain a spaceship! Surely he can write a simple crime novel! :roll:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's written by the same guy who wrote the LOST tie-in novel. It's released via Hyperion (ie: owned by Disney, which owns ABC).

Looks like they're keeping the writer(s)' identities a tightly wrapped secret on purpose.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's written by the same guy who wrote the LOST tie-in novel. It's released via Hyperion (ie: owned by Disney, which owns ABC).

Looks like they're keeping the writer(s)' identities a tightly wrapped secret on purpose.

I've been a-googlin'. There's some speculation on the internets that James Patterson wrote it. But come on, he doesn't even write his OWN books anymore! Why would he write Rick Castle's?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a-googlin'. There's some speculation on the internets that James Patterson wrote it. But come on, he doesn't even write his OWN books anymore! Why would he write Rick Castle's?

I highly doubt it. They'd have to pay him a lot more money than a regular ghostwriter, and if he DID write it I'd expect them to be making a big deal, publicity-wise, out of it--unless they're planning on keeping it a secret for a big PR-stunt reveal down the road. But really, the money just doesn't add up.

Plus Patterson just signed a two-year contract with another publishing house. It might be a breach of contract if he ghost-wrote.

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com

LOL! exactly! I'm sure it wasn't him. He has no reason at all to do it. He's already his own brand name.

And whoever DID write it was paid to keep their mouth shut. <G>

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
You're saying it wasn't written by a fictional character? :) Nor by Nathan Fillion himself? The man can solve a murder and captain a spaceship! Surely he can write a simple crime novel! :roll:

LOL. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Nathan. Yes, he looks good in tight pants, and I'd join his crew anytime...but I don't think he wrote the book. <G>

Anymore than most celebs write a book. :) Shoot, some of them are lucky they can write their own names to sign a contract. (NOT Nathan. I'm sure he's better than THAT.

Susan G.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Took a "vacation" and read Heat Wave last night. Came away thinking sometimes less is more.

I've been having problems reading books where the author takes a page to describe one preliminary kiss.

TC Beacham

Great Beach Reads!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.Great-Beach-Reads.com
I'm happy to see there are some Castle fans here. Recently discovered the show and am really enjoying it. Haven't read the book yet, but after reading these comments I think I will!

(Wasn't Michael Connelly on the show once? Haven't seen that episode but heard he did a cameo.)

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I bought and read the book, and it was definitely a lot of fun. About halfway through, I realised I was unconsciously visualising the TV characters instead of Rook, Heat etc., which I think was deliberate as it definitely feels just like a longer episode. It's not the greatest crime novel ever written, but I enjoyed it and it's made me love the show even more, so I figure it's done its job.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
I don't want to know who really wrote the book - I'm having too much fun reading a book by Rick Castle.

Knowing would spoil the magic a little.