PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Accounts Of Hiding

Pepper
10-20-2009, 04:32 AM
I have a scene where the MC is hiding in a floor cavity in someone's (a resistance fighter) apartment. The building is being searched by the authorities, and tension is running high that the MC will be found.

Except it doesn't sound tense enough. I want it to draw similarities to WW2, where the Jews (and other oppressed persons) were forced to hide in cavities to keep safe from the Nazi officers. I immediately thought of the story of Anne Frank, but of course her diary doesn't cover the day that she and the others were discovered. I want my MC to be found.

Does anyone know of any personal accounts of those who hid from the Nazis, were discovered, but survived to tell the tale? My scene isn't convincing enough. I think if I read some personal accounts, I would understand more the emotions that are involved with such a horrible event, and be able to translate that across to my own story.

backslashbaby
10-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Man, you reminded me to read this book. The movie is wonderful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Europa

Pepper
10-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the link! :D I'll check it out. ^_^

backslashbaby
10-20-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm not finding the book in English, darnit. Do see the movie, though. It's funny, too, believe it or not!

TheIT
10-20-2009, 05:01 AM
I've only seen the movie, but perhaps Schindler's List? I think that was based on a book.

Barb D
10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
How about The Hiding Place (http://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Place-Hendrickson-Classic-Biographies/dp/1598563394/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256015675&sr=8-2) by Corrie Ten Boom? It was a book and a movie. The Ten Booms were a Dutch Christian family who hid Jews in a secret room. When they were discovered, the Ten Booms were also sent to a concentration camp.

jeseymour
10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
How about The Hiding Place (http://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Place-Hendrickson-Classic-Biographies/dp/1598563394/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256015675&sr=8-2) by Corrie Ten Boom? It was a book and a movie. The Ten Booms were a Dutch Christian family who hid Jews in a secret room. When they were discovered, the Ten Booms were also sent to a concentration camp.

Aw, you beat me to it! I heard Corrie Ten Boom speak at our church when I was eleven years old. She was incredible.

Tsu Dho Nimh
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Out of the Night By Jan Valtin

He hid a lot, from a lot of people, and managed to live through it

TheIT
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Another thought: perhaps search for accounts of the Underground Railroad where slaves were trying to escape to the North?

Pepper
10-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I love this forum. :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions- I will be following up on all of them!

RJK
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
If you're looking for an account from the searchers' side, I can relate a story about finding a clever criminal we had warrants for.

jeseymour
10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
If you're looking for an account from the searchers' side, I can relate a story about finding a clever criminal we had warrants for.

Oooh! I want to hear that story! If you don't want to post it, PM me. I have a character who hunts fugitives, so I'm always looking for stories like this to adapt. Or adopt. :)

RJK
10-23-2009, 01:59 AM
We had robbery warrants on this guy, knew where his family lived and knew he liked to sneak back to their house. We got several calls from neighbors that they saw him going into the house. He was 22 years old, 6 feet tall and about 140 pounds, really skinny. Each time we'd get a call, we'd go to the house. His mother would let us in to look for him. The house was an old one that had been converted to a side-by-side duplex, then converted back to a single-family.
We'd search the house from the attic to the basement, in closets, under beds, even in the chest freezer. We never found the guy. One night, I noticed that one of the bedrooms had two doors leading to the hall. The headboard of the bed was against one door that was hinged to open into the room, and the other door was used to come and go. As I walked past the closed door on the hallway side, I noticed that the door was hinged to open into the hallway. "How can that be" I asked myself. I tried the knob, but the door was locked.
"That's the door against the bed," the mother said.
My partner & I went into the bedroom, pulled the bed from the door, and opened it. There was our skinny felon, hiding in the narrow space between the two doors. His brother and sister would help hide him every time they saw us at the door. I measured the space between the doorstops. it was just under 6 inches. If the guy had eaten a hamburger that night, he probably wouldn't have fit in there.
The double door was a remnant of when the house was a duplex, and each tenant could lock his own door, similar to hotel rooms.

Pepper
10-23-2009, 02:24 AM
RJK, I'm looking for accounts of hiding from the victim's perspective, but that's an AWESOME story. :D

A friend of mine is an ex-footballer. He's well over 6 feet tall and weighs 120 kilos. He travels overseas sometimes. There's this one kind of sweet- a chocolate covered marshmallowy thing- that you can't get here in Australia, so he usually stocks up while he's overseas and brings them home. He stores them in bar fridge downstairs in his garage.

One night he comes home with his girlfriend to find the garage door (the small one for people-entry) open. He goes in to investigate and finds his bar fridge is open, and all his sweets are gone. Now this pisses off my ex-footballer friend (big teddy bear that he is) and he goes looking around for the thief. He walks back outside and sees movement in the hedge next to the fence. He strides over to the fence and there's this punk kid about to rabbit on him.

"You're not going anywhere until the police arrive." my friend said as he towers over this guy. Keep in mind that the guy is a lot smaller than my friend, and he's crouched down in a bush looking up at him. He must have seemed enormous. My friend called out to his girlfriend to call the cops while he kept the bush-dude company. :D The kid waited very obediently until the police arrived.

My friend heard the next day that the guy who was arrested actually pulled a knife on the two cops on the way back to the station. He wasn't able to do any damage, but the fact that he was game enough to pull a knife on two cops and not my friend has been the subject of much conversation. :D