PDA

View Full Version : How much cocaine could you hide in a car?

stuckupmyownera
10-20-2009, 01:49 AM
My MC is driving a car stuffed with cocaine. Not in the trunk - in the seats, under the dash, maybe even in the floor.

I need to figure out a likely sum of money (USD) he's gonna get for it - OR how much he might get just to transport it (haven't decided yet) - but I don't even know where to start!

Any ideas?

Wayne K
10-20-2009, 02:02 AM
There are a lot of factors involved. Is he going to cut it? Is he going to sell it in weight or in small amounts? I used to sell an ounce of coke for around a thousand dollars, but the price fluctuates depending on how glutted the market is. A kilo used to go for 10 to 15 thousand dollars. How many does he have?

stuckupmyownera
10-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Well... How many kilos could you fit in a car? How big is a kilo? Bout the same as a kilo of flour??

ChristineR
10-20-2009, 02:20 AM
You could fit hundreds of kilos in a car. It would depend on how well they need to be hidden and how much work can be done on the car, but I would think the limiting factor would be how many millions of dollars of cocaine you had, not the physical space in the car.

Any real large scale smuggling operation would only put a small amount in any one car, and would assume that the authorities are going to catch a few.

Wayne K
10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Highway patrol are trained to look for how low a car sits to determine if it's loaded down with drugs, guns, whatever. They're very good at spotting it, so I wouldn't put more than ten to twenty kilos in a car.

And yeah, about 10% of loads are caught somewhere along the line.

Little Red Barn
10-20-2009, 02:26 AM
False floor in car will hold 20-30 kilos. 2.2pds is weight of kilo. Give or take what part of country you are in and where you are selling, ranges now from 18-22,000 a piece.

Further north more expensive and farther south example toward Mexico it becomes cheaper.

Other hiding places: take tire off rim, place several inside tire.

False gas tank. Secret compartment in trunk.

Inside air cleaner.

... advises my po po hubby. :D

stuckupmyownera
10-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Wow, you guys really know your stuff! ;)

Since you know so much, another question (because I haven't quite figured out all the details yet). What if he was just transporting the drugs? Let's say 25 kilos or so. Anyone know how much he's likely to be paid?

Cybernaught
10-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I used to sell an ounce of coke for around a thousand dollars, but the price fluctuates depending on how glutted the market is. A kilo used to go for 10 to 15 thousand dollars. How many does he have?

I love how casually you say this, as if you ran your own lemonade stand.

JoshEllingson
10-20-2009, 03:05 AM
depends. if he is a regular runner, with a good track record for the dealer, he will be paid more than a newer runner. if he is freelance, he will be paid a helluva lot more, because he will work only for the highest bidder.

Wayne K
10-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Wow, you guys really know your stuff! ;)
And it doesn't scare you :D

Since you know so much, another question (because I haven't quite figured out all the details yet). What if he was just transporting the drugs? Let's say 25 kilos or so. Anyone know how much he's likely to be paid?
I wouldn't know since I've been out of the drug business for a very longtime, but if you want to throw in some intrigue, some people are paid in bullets.
The guys I dealt with didn't pay cash for stuff like this, they gave them 10% of the load. Coke doesn't cost them much, and why sell more to make up the cash when you can let them take the risk of selling it?

Wayne K
10-20-2009, 03:09 AM
I love how casually you say this, as if you ran your own lemonade stand.
The worst part is that selling drugs is of the least of my crimes. I don't make excuses for what I've done in life. I do my best to try and help people who stray into this kind of thing though. Right now, I'm in talks with an AW member who is writing a book to help convicts who are getting out, to help them adapt to society.

I may have to do time for some things I did a long time ago. If I do, I'll be in a position to do exactly that. It's about balancing the scales.

Rowan
10-20-2009, 03:20 AM
My MC is driving a car stuffed with cocaine. Not in the trunk - in the seats, under the dash, maybe even in the floor.

I need to figure out a likely sum of money (USD) he's gonna get for it but I don't even know where to start!

Any ideas?

What kind of car? Are you talking strictly kilo's (packaging)? Does the car have hidden compartments? And most important, what state/region and who is SOS (ie., going rate of cocaine)? :)

Here's a pic of cocaine (kilo packaging) to give you an idea of the size/shape:
http://www.justice.gov/dea/photos/cocaine/cocaine_bricks_scorpion_logo.jpg

Nivarion
10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
In shear terms how how much?

Around here we had a vehicle with almost a ton of the stuff crammed into various spots not to long ago.

I had a sudden question that popped into my mind reading this thread. Would it be logical to place the drugs on a 1 way car rental, if you knew where the car was going?

stuckupmyownera
10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow... a ton??

So maybe if the suspension's reinforced or something, he could get 50 kilos in.

At something like $20,000 a kilo, right?

So then would it be reasonable for him to get 10% of the cost of the load for transporting it from somewhere near the border (perhaps Phoenix way) to somewhere central (hmmm, perhaps Salt Lake City, or Denver)? That's like... $100,000. It seems a lot...

I guess he's not really taking it that far, in the grand scheme of things, so maybe less...?

pink lily
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Visit Google News and search for "cocaine bust," there are tons of reports with details of how much was found and how much the police estimate the street value to be. Note: in many cases, the authorities seem to exaggerate the actual street value of the drugs.

RobinGBrown
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
My dad was a bit of an amateur at this game, he's long gone now so won't mind me sharing his secret.

False battery: take a car battery, split it, empty it out, put a small battery inside, wire it up, fill remaining space with drugs, seal with plastic something or other

Rowan
10-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Visit the DEA page for numerous examples (Operation Pipeline). The street value of cocaine will depend on the region and the purity. Why is your MC transporting the dope in the first place? Is he/she a mule?
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/pipecon.htm

Just an FYI: Most people (esp a mule working for a drug trafficker) aren't going to drive around with dope on the floor or anywhere it's "in plain view". A cop stops you for speeding or another traffic violation - you're done. I'm not sure as to the premise of your novel but it sounds as if you want your MC to come across as a bit daft or as a first-time drug transporter???
:Shrug:

[if you want specifics, feel free to PM me ;) ]

Nivarion
10-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Wow... a ton??

So maybe if the suspension's reinforced or something, he could get 50 kilos in.

At something like $20,000 a kilo, right?

So then would it be reasonable for him to get 10% of the cost of the load for transporting it from somewhere near the border (perhaps Phoenix way) to somewhere central (hmmm, perhaps Salt Lake City, or Denver)? That's like... $100,000. It seems a lot...

I guess he's not really taking it that far, in the grand scheme of things, so maybe less...?

The guys that did it were. They sucked at it.

The cops pulled them over because their car was riding too low and sitting sort of funny. Then they couldn't roll down their windows to talk to the cops. The door ground when the opened it and the car tilted a bit as the door swung out. They were driving a relatively new car so it stood out a bit. They had them sniffed and each door, the wheels, the donut and some of the seats were filled with it.

Also the fact that they were crapping themselves probably gave it away too.

stuckupmyownera
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
The guys that did it were. They sucked at it.

The cops pulled them over because their car was riding too low and sitting sort of funny. Then they couldn't roll down their windows to talk to the cops. The door ground when the opened it and the car tilted a bit as the door swung out. They were driving a relatively new car so it stood out a bit. They had them sniffed and each door, the wheels, the donut and some of the seats were filled with it.

Also the fact that they were crapping themselves probably gave it away too.

lol! :roll:

Rowan - it's not just lying about - it's in the fabric of the car; inside the seats, compartment in the floor, tyres, whatever.

He's not a regular runner - just does it occasionally when his friend needs extra help, since he travels round the country a lot anyway.

K.Bristow
11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Not to be a pain, but if the coke is uncut, that makes the $ higher. I helped US Marshalls bust my SIL boyfriend. He had a charger (beautiful car!) doors were packed, trunk had a compartment like a false floor, seats had drop out panels and the underside in the interior dash was packed too. Cops were watching for the car and she got caught in the parking lot at work. They dismantled the car right there in the parking lot but they got nothing. The car was empty and clean. He blamed her for driving the car "in public" and beat the crap out of my SIL and after she was admitted to the hospital with a fractured face, I called the cops. End game...got directly to jail, do not collect $200.

Hittman
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Note: in many cases, the authorities seem to exaggerate the actual street value of the drugs.

I see that a lot. "Police confiscated ten grams of marijuana with a street value of ten thousand dollars." "Police confiscated an ounce of cocaine with a street value of twenty thousand dollars." I'm waiting for "Police confiscated two pounds of ground beef with a street value of thirty thousand dollars."

Stijn Hommes
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Other hiding places: take tire off rim, place several inside tire. That was my first thought too. In that case they can look how low the car is to the ground all they like, if it's not literally inside the car, they won't see a difference.

RobinGBrown
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I think you'd get quite a high failure rate of the packaging if the coke was inside a tire, plus there would probably be quite a lot of noise if the packaging came loose in any way.

That said afaik you can get foam fillings for tires - I believe they use them for rallying where a burst tire can be deadly - maybe adapting one of those would work?

bylinebree
11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Totally random and not helpful, but I could've sworn the heading was 'hide in a CAT.'

But it sure made me open the thread!
:ROFL: