Competing for shelf space on the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, IndieWriter. You make some good points.

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know what a URL is so I couldn't post a comment on your blog!

I also have an earlier thread on this forum asking the same thing--in essence: I'm trying to decide to self-publish and a large part of that decision is the fact of my granddaughter having a large footprint on the web, 64,500 on MySpace alone. I realize that it's her following not mine, but we think she can be a major help in promotion. Her followers are faithful and see her as a celebrity [I see her as my granddaughter! :)] and I think many would follow her lead.

What's your input on it, please.

Last edited:

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Still- I was impressed when I got 2000 friends. She has 64,500, I'm AMAZED and wonder how much time she spends on there?!? Dang. I feel so... underaccomplished. Time to go log into myspace. ;)

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Still Alive, while your granddaughter has many fans (is she a popular musician?), her fans won't help your book if they aren't in your target audience. If they are, then whoohho!, that's good news!

Cheers,
Sandy

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
Sandra, no they're aren't I don't think, but she said she feels certain those that do read will buy it!

Last edited:

IndieWriter

Procrastinating Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mywritingnook.com
I also have an earlier thread on this forum asking the same thing--in essence: I'm trying to decide to self-publish and a large part of that decision is the fact of my granddaughter having a large footprint on the web, 64,500 on MySpace alone. I realize that it's her following not mine, but we think she can be a major help in promotion. Her followers are faithful and see her as a celebrity [I see her as my granddaughter! :)] and I think many would follow her lead.

What's your input on it, please.

I think that being able to tap into an audience that large right from the start is something most authors would drool over. Talk to your granddaughter and try to get a sense of the demographics of her audience. Then figure out how best to appeal to them.

If your granddaughter is Internet savvy, then perhaps she can help you put together a promotional website? If she can't, she probably knows someone who can.

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, IndieWriter. The problem would be not so much her demographics, it's that I have no idea of my own "implied" audience. I haven' shown but pieces of it to several people and already gotten positive [after several rewrites! :)] comments from two in their early 20's, same in their early 30s, and one in her 50s. Makes it seem I'll have a wide spread--but then most of those were lit majors [excepting my granddaughter and she IS my granddaughter so there's got to be some influence there!]. One a librarian, one a teacher, one an MFA, and one an equivalant of a summa cum laude!

So far no ordinary readers like I am. But then as I said only two have read the entire mss. So far, agents haven't been interested. I think I know why. PC. But I really am only guessing.

Sure a long post to say I don't know who my audience is! :) And yes, my granddaughter has already started talking about several promotional websites. But I've got to wait until I decide whether to keep slogging away at agents or go ahead and take the plunge into POD. And she's really busy right now. We talked about Thanksgiving to start--if I don't hear from an agent. And then I might try small presses first. I don't think her "footprint" is going to fade much in a few months.
SA

Status
Not open for further replies.