Obtaining a blank Homicide Scene Report

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
anyone know if police departments use some standardized form to sketch the basics of a homicide crime scene?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a source for such a document?

If so I will be forever in your debt.....because I'll probably never pay you back in anyway.

Cheers

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
We used to use graph paper with 1/4 inch squares. Then we could sketch out using 1/4 inch = 1 foot. If we had to go into finer detail we'd go to another sheet and indicate the scale. The cameras (still and video) told the tale, but outdoors at night made for some tough shots, lots of stark images with jet-black backgrounds.

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
Hey RJK--- I may have phrased the question poorly or what I'm looking for may not exist at all. I'm wondering if there is a form that the police fill in at homicide scenes with basic info sections already supplied.. ie

Responding officer_____ date ______ Location_________ # of victims_______

etc and so forth.

I assumed a written report augmented the video and photos but not to plot the scene so much as to give other invesigators a quick "snapshot" of the file if they pulled it out 3 years latter. A factual cover sheet if you wil.

Thanks for your reply and I hope I have clarified what I seek.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a source for a bank robbery: Sample Police Report

In New Hampshire, the incident report is the same from a jay walking incident to a murder. It's what goes with it and how much detail it involves. The only time it changes is there is one for motor vehicles which includes roads and stuff like like that for the officer to draw on. It's the supporting documents that change, but if you're looking at the capsule report that's what you'd be looking at. Obviously the information is not always available.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks jclarkdawe that is exactly what I was hoping to find. I owe you a beer at my first book signing..

Cheers

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I might have a blank one, although it would be from the 1950's. If the book I have has one, I'll gladly scan it and post it so you can download it.

Edited to add: Sorry. All my book has is a sample burglary report.

Last edited:

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Julie.. If it is too much trouble the burglary report might help too....if it is any trouble at all please don't bother.

Cheers

Bubbleboy

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Bubbles-

This is one of those questions that would really be repaid by some first-person research.

Call your local police department.

Not only will they give a specific answer, but they might give you a copy of the form (if they have it) and they might give you some terrific information that you haven't even thought of asking yet.

The Internet is a great research aid, but it's not the only research aid.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Julie.. If it is too much trouble the burglary report might help too....if it is any trouble at all please don't bother.

Cheers

Bubbleboy

It's no trouble at all. Within the next 24 hours I'll pull the book again and scan the pages.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok here's a web link. If this link doesn't work, PM me with your email address and I'll just email you the documents. The page may take a few seconds to one minute to load up, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Also, please let me know after you've viewed and downloaded the files so that I can delete the web link.

Last edited:

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
that's Mr.Bubbles to you and you better smile when you call me that Ted.. Seriously I've not had the best of times in dealing with the police in me life so i tend to avoid them at all costs. Do have a friend or 2 with a cop friend or 2 so I will try to work those connections.

Julie- Can't hit it from work but will get it from home tonight if god is willing and the baby sleeping. Please accept my thanks and feel free to delete the link anytime 2mrw.

Cheers and thanks to you both.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Here's a source for a bank robbery: Sample Police Report
Crimescene.com usually has such documents for fictional crimes, but they bear an uncanny resemblence to the document linked in the quote. You could ask the site administrator if it was based on a true document or if it might actually be a true document.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back to this thread. We have a standard "Incident Report" that the responding officer completes. That report has all the fill-in-the-blanks. It's just like any other form you've seen, Incident number (a sequential number assigned by the dispatcher), name, address, telephone SSN, DOB, Date of incident, type of crime/incident, describe incident. witness info, etc. The detectives us a narrative form that has a header that identifies it to the case, the rest is blank, except the signature/date line.

mudbubble

Registered
Reaction score
This thread has fulfilled my wildest dreams and needs and I now allow you all to go back to your lives.

THNAKS Y'ALL for being so Bubblecentric in your thinking.

Cheers