My Good Deed For The Day

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

I’m trying to help another writer, less inclined than I to forum interactions, frame a character background. He’s looking to write a Western-style story, with an arc from roughly 1838, through and beyond the American Civil War.

“He is a man sympathetic to the native American plight, is educated by a Native American after suffering life threatening wounds defending a pregnant woman. Anyway, I have been researching all day, trying to place his childhood within the environs of Native American influence, circa 1833-1838, in any (and I do mean any at this point) of the Northern United States. I'm finding information, or even where to begin sketchy at best and "White Biased." I am open, at this juncture, to placing his origins anywhere along the upper US bordering Canada, however rather than just haphazardly inventing something I'd much rather be factual. Can you help? I'm seeking any forts, trading posts, major interactions with whites which might have resulted in my character ultimately falling into the hands of French traders in 1838.”

Any ideas? I hope not only to help him find the information he’s looking for, but also to demonstrate to him the value of internet-based communities in this sort of research.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably suggest some reference books for him. I'll throw out one: North American Indians by George Catlin. Catlin lived with the Indians tribes during about the time period you mentioned. I have another large book that list the history, culture, and range of every Indian tribe, but I can't remember the name or author offhand. I use it mainly for reference, so it's not a book I pull out all the time (I would go look it up, but it's early where I am and I don't really have the time this morning).

I'm sure wiki probably has a list of all tribes, plus some information on each. It might not be highly detailed, but it might have additional links.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking 1838 though the Civil War, you might want to look at the northern "midwestern" states - Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota. There wasn't a lot going on in some of the far western areas at that time. And - if you want French traders involved, you're going to have to stay farther east. Take a good look at Michigan, Upper Penninsula possibly, especially around Mackinaw and Sault Ste. Marie, to see whether you can come up with anything. Puma