Is * that right. Just making sure.

thanks.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Either way works.

Edit:

Well, if you want to get technical, "Lisa stood with" is more 'close'. Still, you won't be held over the coals for using 'they'. Of course theres not enough to go on with the little you posted. Maybe post a full and typical paragraph with inner monologue.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I believe either works in third.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
ok, thanks. Her's an example. This is from Lisa's pov:
which is better?

1.Lisa raged through the sky, her vision blurred with tears. She didn’t slow down a bit while Joe raced to keep up with her. She hovered above Rachel's house long enough to let Joe catch up. Then they dropped to the ground.

2. Lisa raged through the sky, her vision blurred with tears. Joe frantically raced to keep up with her. They hovered above Rachel's house and dropped to the ground.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine yourself on Lisa's shoulder. You can only mention what she sees hears feels etc. and experiences through her own senses. Unless she can see it or hear it, or is otherwise aware of it, you can't mention 'it' - no matter what it is.

Is she aware Joe is chasing her or racing to keep up with her? If she is, (1) is okay. If she isn't, you can't mention it until she is aware of it.

(2) is wrong from her POV - she cannot be aware what Joe is frantically trying to do unless she is psychic or has eyes in the back of her head.

By-the-by, POV issues have nothing to do with Grammar or Syntax.

ok, thanks. Her's an example. This is from Lisa's pov:
which is better?

1.Lisa raged through the sky, her vision blurred with tears. She didn’t slow down a bit while Joe raced to keep up with her. She hovered above Rachel's house long enough to let Joe catch up. Then they dropped to the ground.

2. Lisa raged through the sky, her vision blurred with tears. Joe frantically raced to keep up with her. They hovered above Rachel's house and dropped to the ground.

Last edited:

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bufy. I thought #2 was wrong. I didn't know where to stick this.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Basic Writing Questions, Novels, Sandbox....any of these, but nobody's really bothered except fussy old gits - if you can think of any, that is. ;)

CDarklock

Yes!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darklock.com
(2) is wrong from her POV - she cannot be aware what Joe is frantically trying to do unless she is psychic or has eyes in the back of her head.

I disagree. When my son is "frantically racing" to keep up with me as we run through the park, I know it - and I am not psychic, nor do I have eyes in the back of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.