PDA

View Full Version : Unsettling...

newgreekwriter
10-17-2009, 11:59 PM
So, I received a rejection today (not from the agency that has requested a full). But I found the reason for it unsettling. the agent stated that they passed because they had a similar project on hand.

I don't know what to say. I mean, I know my idea is not unique... (hello, young adult, paranormal romance) But my story is not based on vampires/werewolves/faeries, what is currently out there. So, my only thought is, is this a BAD thing? I mean, I do not want to keep pushing a story that is eventually going to get onto the shelves by some other other author...

I mean, I want to know if this has happened to anybody else and what they thought about the situation.

vixey
10-18-2009, 02:08 AM
This was one agent. There are many, many others out there. Keep at it! And good luck! :)

AllieKat
10-18-2009, 02:19 AM
That's actually a really great reason to be turned down. (I never like to say rejected. They turned down, i.e. decided not to buy your story--they didn't reject you or it.)

Most magazines and publishers don't want to publish things that are too similar to each other at the same time. Whatever the reason, that's the way the industry often works.

(Of course, if you wrote a romance, and you sent it to a romance publisher, they wouldn't turn it down because it's a romance. Unless the plot is too close to something else they published...)

Well, the point is, unless the publisher really specializes in what you publish, this is a legitimate reason that has nothing to do with you.

Also, the fact that they're publishing something similar shows there IS a market for this type of story.

You can actually feel encouraged by this.

stormie
10-18-2009, 03:09 AM
I have to say, I believe it's one of the form rejection letters. So don't worry over it. It could be on the same theme as what's out there, but it's your own unique take on it that makes it different.

newgreekwriter
10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
thanks. i actually do feel a bit better, because from the feedback of the people who have read it, my story does have a different turn in this field.

Actually, I was hoping it was a standard rejection letter, haha. =)

piscesgirl80
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Well our other brilliant AWers have already pretty much said what I was going to say. :) Keeping my fingers crossed for your next round of replies!

newgreekwriter
10-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks, piscesgirl80! Trust me, I am also having my toes crossed at the same time. Haha.