PDA

View Full Version : 5 Bad*** Authors

BlackBriar
10-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Didn't know where to put this.

http://www.cracked.com/article/152_5-authors-more-badass-than-badass-character-they-created/

Yeah, makes ya think doesn't it... :(

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna go for a walk and try to find a bear attacking a pregnant woman, and beat it down with my bare hands. Then I'll rescue some kids somehow, and stop global warming...

Also 6 authors who crapped out masterpieces: http://www.cracked.com/article_17221_6-writers-who-accidentally-crapped-out-masterpieces.html
Hope is restored. :D

backslashbaby
10-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Oooh! I just started reading those and have to thank you already :)

And I'm waaay more bada$$ than my MC ;) She'll learn a little as she goes along.

I'll still know more spies [former!!! don't forget the former :D]...

CACTUSWENDY
10-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the links...lol

Dang...that means...well, never mind. I have known for a long time that what goes on in my head is way different from the way I have lived my life. It's interesting to see the second link. That is more up my alley. lol

BlackBriar
10-18-2009, 12:04 AM
np :D. Watch out for cracked.com though. It can be...addictive. AW-style addicitive. You've been warned.

backslashbaby
10-18-2009, 12:05 AM
It's interesting to see the second link. That is more up my alley. lol

You scary girl!! :D :D

I love the Hemingway one [1st link]. I'd have loved to hang out with him. I stayed in a hotel where he'd lived in Paris, AAMOF, for the view, etc. I'm a bit of a fan ;)

Cassiopeia
10-18-2009, 12:06 AM
lol...CoD...love it. Thanks for the fun link and for encouraging some of us who take a bit of our own lives and sneak it into our stories.

erm...oooo boy..did I just admit to being a U.S. Marshall gone assassin? ;)

BlackBriar
10-18-2009, 12:32 AM
lol...CoD...love it. Thanks for the fun link and for encouraging some of us who take a bit of our own lives and sneak it into our stories.

erm...oooo boy..did I just admit to being a U.S. Marshall gone assassin? ;)

:D I encouraged someone. Nice!

Sadly, my bear hunting didn't go so well (oddly, none to be found in my neighborhood), and kids keep giving me weird looks when I ask if they need rescuing. Ah well, tomorrow.

Cassiopeia
10-18-2009, 12:37 AM
:D I encouraged someone. Nice!

Sadly, my bear hunting didn't go so well (oddly, none to be found in my neighborhood), and kids keep giving me weird looks when I ask if they need rescuing. Ah well, tomorrow.
Perhaps you are looking for the wrong kind of bear. My house is overrun by Barista Bears from Starbucks. :D

Libbie
10-18-2009, 12:59 AM
So if I write a book about a zoo keeper whose clothes are only 85% soaking wet and freezing cold and smell like very old frog poo, I'll technically be more badass than my character, because right now I am at 100% of all of the above.

Do I have this correct?

Funny articles. Oh, Lord Byron!

Jess Haines
10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
The Lord Byron one made me lol. :D

BigWords
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
At one point he was so injured that some American newspapers ran his obituary. Yes, that's right--Hemingway was so badass that he got to read his own obituary.

Now THAT is something to aspire toward.

Calla Lily
10-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Great links! Thanks.

Must... not... click... more... Cracked... links...

childeroland
10-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Interesting about Fleming. I'd always thought he was something of a spy manque who created James Bond partly as wish fulfillment.

I don't know if any of Malory's characters are more badass than he was, except maybe Morgan le Fay and the giant on Mont St. Michel-- he was pretty hardcore.

Had no idea about Doyle -- very cool.

swvaughn
10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
np :D. Watch out for cracked.com though. It can be...addictive. AW-style addicitive. You've been warned.

Dang it. Knew I should've read the rest of this thread before I clicked that link (she says three hours later...)

And the awesome thing - there's a link at the bottom of every article asking if I think I'm a funny writer, and challenging me to write a Cracked topic for a chance at fifty bucks. Must... resist... temptation!

Priene
10-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Jeffrey Archer. Well, he's bad and he's certainly an ass.

TrickyFiction
10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, now I'm doomed to spend all day reading Cracked articles. :P

aadams73
10-19-2009, 02:41 AM
I'll still know more spies [former!!! don't forget the former :D]...

Some of my past acquaintances and friends are just as...let's go with colorful, shall we? :D

I'm definitely more badass than my main character. She has to be sympathetic so I can sell her story, while I do not. :D

(Says the woman who helped an old lady load her groceries into her car on Friday.)

backslashbaby
10-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Some of my past acquaintances and friends are just as...let's go with colorful, shall we? :D

I'm definitely more badass than my main character. She has to be sympathetic so I can sell her story, while I do not. :D

(Says the woman who helped an old lady load her groceries into her car on Friday.)

Hee hee. I'm glad someone else admitted it :D I cheated; my MC is the totally sheltered type.

Me? Not sheltered. A colorful background, yes. And I have all the sense of a cat, so curiosity brings about odd tales! I'm like Unruly Kitten Bada$$.