Of Oswald, Cuba, and No Closure. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C.I.A. Is Still Cagey About Oswald Mystery </NYT_HEADLINE><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/JavaScript>function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1413432000&en=1030c646cda31a6b&ei=5124';}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/JavaScript>function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/17/us/17inquire.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('C.I.A. Is Still Cagey About Oswald Mystery');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('The agency is fighting to keep secret documents about an anti-Castro group that clashed with Lee Harvey Oswald.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Assassinations and Attempted Assassinations,United States Politics and Government,Espionage,Suits and Litigation,Central Intelligence Agency,John Fitzgerald Kennedy,Lee Harvey Oswald');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('us');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('US');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By SCOTT SHANE');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('October 17, 2009');}</SCRIPT>
<NYT_REPRINTS_FORM><SCRIPT language=javascript> <!-- function submitCCCForm(){ PopUp = window.open('', '_Icon','location=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=650,height=550,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes'); this.document.cccform.submit(); } // --> </SCRIPT><FORM name=cccform action=https://s100.copyright.com/CommonApp/LoadingApplication.jsp target=_Icon>By SCOTT SHANE</FORM>
</NYT_BYLINE>Published: October 16, 2009
<!--NYT_INLINE_IMAGE_POSITION1 --><NYT_TEXT>WASHINGTON — Is the Central Intelligence Agency covering up some dark secret about the assassination of John F. Kennedy?

Probably not. But you would not know it from the C.I.A.’s behavior.

For six years, the agency has fought in federal court to keep secret hundreds of documents from 1963, when an anti-Castro Cuban group it paid clashed publicly with the soon-to-be assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald. The C.I.A. says it is only protecting legitimate secrets. But because of the agency’s history of stonewalling assassination inquiries, even researchers with no use for conspiracy thinking question its stance.
The files in question, some released under direction of the court and hundreds more that are still secret, involve the curious career of George E. Joannides, the case officer who oversaw the dissident Cubans in 1963. In 1978, the agency made Mr. Joannides the liaison to the House Select Committee on Assassinations — but never told the committee of his earlier role.
That concealment has fueled suspicion that Mr. Joannides’s real assignment was to limit what the House committee could learn about C.I.A. activities. The agency’s deception was first reported in 2001 by Jefferson Morley, a journalist and author who has doggedly pursued the files ever since, represented by James H. Lesar, a Washington lawyer specializing in Freedom of Information Act lawsuits. . . . .
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/17/us/17inquire.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig

Something's been amiss for a long time surrounding the days of JFK. . . .

What do you think? Any theories on the CIA stonewall??

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
IF the CIA was involved in the JFK assassination (which is a silly if, because they were, even if only in investigating it.)
and
IF the JFK assassination was the ONLY one they might be involved in, then yeah. It would look like "something's up". But without making those two jell? Maybe not so much.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IF the CIA was involved in the JFK assassination (which is a silly if, because they were, even if only in investigating it.)
and
IF the JFK assassination was the ONLY one they might be involved in, then yeah. It would look like "something's up". But without making those two jell? Maybe not so much.

Why do you think there isn't a CIA release of information? Why the heartily fought information act??

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I think what I'm suggesting is that, even if the information surrounding the JFK assassination includes information or actions they want to cover up? It's not the only thing they want to keep covered up. Life doesn't happen in a vacuum, not even with tragedies. It may not be possible to uncover one item, without uncovering something else.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The CIA doesn't want to tell anybody anything. Because once they do, they fear the floodgates will open. In spite of 9/11, our intelligence agencies are still in competition. Fighting their turf wars.

Anyway there are plenty of suspects in the JFK murder - Castro, the Mafia, LBJ, the USSR, and more - but none have been proven.

Seems I remember that there are still conspiracy theories about Lincoln's murder that have not been proven - or disproved.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, this article isn't really so much about JFK as it is about the era, CIA denials about covert operations in Cuba and a man named Joannides . . . .

The point to me is that we had and still have an agency that operates without enough oversight or scrutiny and so cloaked in secrecy that even history isn't revealed. That implies all kinds of problems imho. . . .