Status
Not open for further replies.

Annis Pratt

Marshlanders, to Battle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annisvpratt.com
I am hesitating between iuniverse and xlibris, and had decided on the first until I discovered what may be a problem with the author's agreement in iuniverse.
Here’s my problem. It certainly looks as if, as warned by one of the books I read at the library, iUniverse has me grant non-exclusive rights, which is the correct language, but to “print, publish, distribute and sell the work in print form in the English language.”
xLibris, as the author of the book I read suggested, “is a provider of limited services only (e.g., printing, book sales, and Internet access) Am I correct that What this does, in contrast to iUniverse, is permit me to take the written rights to a publisher who might express interest. The warning I read is that if you don’t have rights to the print a standard publisher, becoming interested, would most likely refuse to wait for the whole year it often takes to get your rights back.
Anyone know anything about this? Thanks,
Annis

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like, if you've got the money to afford these kinds of publishing outfits, you'd be better off going with createspace or lulu, hiring independent copy-editors and designers (who you could pick yourself and be certain of their professionalism), buying your own ISBN, and knowing for sure you absolutely OWN your book.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The cheaper companies produce very comparable products in terms of quality and price, better if you invest the money in formatting and packaging servies as mentioned above.

But as I understand it neither of them prevents you from publishing somewhere else, subsequently or simultaneously.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
With Booklocker, you own all rights, and their costs are very reasonable. You may want to check them out. Their entire contract is available on their website.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . permit me to take the written rights to a publisher . . . ,
Annis
If your goal is commercial publication, then let me recommend that you exclusively pursue commercial publication. Forget subsidy publishing or any other alternative. Do what it takes to find an agent and publisher. You'll only shoot yourself in the foot by detouring through any alternative.

See my "Pursuit of Publishing" booklet (free pdf) link in sig. block below for an overview and resources.

--Ken

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Research Guy--When I tried to open your Pursuit of Publishing file, I got a message saying: Error, not a pdf or corrupted. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.