Your honest opinion on agent and managers

scriptwriter74

Sirius
Registered
Reaction score
Should an agent or manager ever receive upfront money of any significance from a client, or should the entirety of their money come from working hard and making an option/purchase a reality?

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with Agents or managers because I'm still trying to get that first sell. But it is my understanding that they only make money when you make money.

So asking for money upfront sounds a bit shady to me, but then again I might be completely wrong. There might be times when it is acceptable but I'm not sure.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
Agents and managers work on commission.

They don't get paid until you get paid.

If an agent or manager is asking you for money upfront - whether the amount is significant or insignificant, say no.

Would you pay your real estate agent before she sells your house? And real estate agents often put up money to market and advertise properties.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I agree with DevelopmentExec. If managers and agents are good at what they do, they sustain a living by collecting commission.

However, it is not against the law or even against WGA rules for a rep to charge clients for overhead fees - like postage and copying fees, for example.

There are hundreds of managers and agents out there who do not charge fees and earn a living from commission. So, why would you want to explore a relationship with someone who charges fees?

Reps who charge fees tend to be less discriminate, since anyone who's willing to pay is a good client. Also, they may not work as hard, since they've already collected money from you. But don't jump to conclusions that reps who charge fees are shady, crooks and con men. They may have all sorts of reasons for charging fees. Their motives are of no interest to you. Simply don't deal with them.

I feel confident in putting my dozen years in the agency business on the line here by saying that nothing productive will result out of this kind of representation. You'll spin your wheels and be poorer.

A polite response to someone who charges a fee is: "I appreciate your interest, but I'm only talking with representatives who don't charge fees. If you change your policy, feel free to contact me again."

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, chances are if they're asking for money of any kind outside of the sales themselves, they aren't doing very well and why get involved with a lousy agent/manager? A bad agent/manager is worse than none at all. Trust me. I know.