PDA

View Full Version : Can I take it for what it is worth

melbeljanel
10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I just got a rejection letter for a short story. The editor said that the story was well written and of interest to their readers, but that they don't have room for it.

Can I take this for what it is worth? Should I consider a rewrite or just submit elsewhere?

Phaeal
10-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Sub elsewhere. Unless the letter contained specific information about your story (not just the title), it's probably a form rejection.

And in any case, they don't seem to have given you editing redirection. They haven't invited you to resub. They don't have room.

Move on.

melbeljanel
10-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I didn't mean rewrite for them, I meant rewrite before I submit elsewhere. Sorry, I know it was confusing.

Red-Green
10-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Does it need to be rewritten? If so, rewrite. If not, submit it somewhere else. Looking at my short story stats for the last two years, it looks like it has taken me an average of 5 rejections before I place a story. So I've had a few holes in one, but I had one story rejected by 11 different places before somebody took it.

Wayne K
10-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Don't lose confidence so quickly. Keep subbing.

Jamesaritchie
10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Just submit it elsewhere, again and again until someone either buys it, or specifically asks for a rewrite and a resubmit.

piscesgirl80
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
At this point, I would say just keep submitting. No matter how great the work, if it doesn't quite match up with the style publication is looking for or the tastes of the particular editor, it won't make it in. In other words, if you're Jane Austen, but they're looking for Joyce Carol Oates, it'll be a no go. It could also be partly that you may have submitted late in their cycle and they really didn't have room. Anyway, good luck in getting it accepted soon!