Ebook poll

How do you like your books?

• I will never read ebooks

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I won't read ebooks until the technology improves

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I only read an ebook edition if it has significant advantages (price, availability, etc.)

• I prefer paper books, but regularly read both

• I have no preference

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I prefer ebooks, but regularly read both

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I only read a paper edition if it has significant advantages (price, availability, etc.)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I don't read any paper books anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara Stone

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few discussions here about ebooks lately, and it's gotten me curious about how people here prefer their books. Do you prefer ebooks to paper? Will you only read an ebook if there is no paper edition available? Do you read ebooks at all?

I regularly read both, but I prefer ebooks, and I buy more ebooks than paper books. I don't look down on paper books, of course, and I have a lot of them, but the convenience and versatility of ebooks has sold me on them. And I don't find reading on my ebook reader any colder or less satisfying than reading a paper book. I suspect, however, that I'm in the minority.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I voted Other, because I only read ebooks if there's no paper edition available.

I stare at a computer screen at work all day. I write and sometimes edit on my computer. Ofen, by the end of the day, my eyes hurt. Paper is much easier for me to read. I like the feel of paper in my hand. I like pulling out a book late at night and reading in bed.

ebooks are fine, just not my preference.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I stare at a computer screen at work all day. I write and sometimes edit on my computer. Ofen, by the end of the day, my eyes hurt. Paper is much easier for me to read. I like the feel of paper in my hand. I like pulling out a book late at night and reading in bed.
Exactly. I work on the computer much of the day and sometimes into the evening. When I finally get time to relax I read a book in the tub or in bed. I don't want to look at another computer screen. That's not relaxing.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I don't care which format - as long as the story is good.

I read both equally. However if an e-book really grabs me, I'll buy the print too( if available), to keep on my shelf

If I don't like it, it's a damn sight less money wasted than a paperback I don't like...

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I don't mind e-readers, as long as they're functional. If you ever see me trying to read a book on my phone, please, shoot me...

Dermit

Sagest of all frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Vastly prefer to read on my kindle. More comfortable, more enjoyable, more convenient...but if I already have the paperback on hand, I'm not going to rebuy the ebook just to because I find it a more enjoyable experience. Much too cheap for that.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
For those who talked about eye strains with computer screens, just want to point out that the eInk technologies in eBook readers now (Sony, Kindle, BN) won't hurt your eyes since they are not LCD or LED screens. I just want to be rid of this persistent prejudice since it's no longer true.

Just want to point that out if eye strain is your only concern. Because it would be like saying "I won't take a plane ride because I am afraid of biplanes."

---

After getting the Kindle, I'm a complete convert. Before that, I only read eBooks if they're not available in paper format (out of print, for example) but now I buy mostly eBooks because a) they are cheaper (from $0 to about $10), b) they're available immediately through wifi -- no more waiting, c) it's actually much easier for me to read, especially in bed, and d) I can put hundreds of books in the device and take it anywhere I go -- it tremendously improves the way I read.

I still prefer printed books for the look and feel and quality of typesetting, etc. But now I'd only buy prints I want to KEEP, such as photo books, or special editions. But when it comes to pure reading, I prefer eBooks now because of price and convenience. It's also easier on the eyes for me because I can increase the font size.

Are eBook readers perfect? No. But neither were MP3 players just six or seven years ago. It's an evolving technology and I can't wait when Apple finally comes out with a tablet or whatever device that does eInk. I think that would be the killer device much like iPod was to MP3 players.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not to mention with the Kindle, at least, I can read my own mss. on it. It's a HUGE benefit especially when I'm editing. Also, with the text-to-speech functionality it's great for editing. Plus with T2S, I get audio-books, too, for the price of one.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I voted Other, because I only read ebooks if there's no paper edition available.

Ditto. One of my favorite authors is an ebook author with Samhain, and I've bought a handful of other ebooks this past year because they weren't available as anything else.

But I don't have an eReader and I don't like taking my laptop to bed with me when I want to read something.

I want to invest in an eReader of some sort, so I have a more convenient way to read those e-only books I want. But I doubt I'll start buying books in e-formats exclusively. There's something lovely and tangible about seeing books lined up on my shelf. I love getting a box of books in the mail from Amazon or BN. And I can't find obscure or out-of-print ebooks for sale at my local thrift stores/flea markets.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
eInk sounds interesting, maestro. I wasn't aware of that technology.

There's another roadblock to ebooks for me, at any rate: the price of the reader. Most of my (and the hubs') reading material comes from the library right now. With one kid in college and one in HS--the library is the only solution for us now, and that equals paper.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's another roadblock to ebooks for me, at any rate: the price of the reader.

This.

I think the Kindle needs to, say, come down to about $150 (about the price of an iPod) for it to be viable. And eBooks should further come down in price -- maybe 40-65% of paperback prices, for them to be REALLY attractive. There's really no reason eBooks should be priced above mass paperback prices, since there's almost no "production" cost (other than turning them into electronic formats). Taking royalties and publisher's profits into consideration, eBook could be priced at $5-6 each and still make everyone happy.

DRM is also another issue. I should be able to take my eBooks with me from device to device as long as those are registered to my name. I do understand it's a tricky issue because electronic files are so easily transferred and shared.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
BTW, here's a writeup on eInk/ePaper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

Because of its disadvantage (refresh rates), I think the BN reader's approach (eInk + LCD) is in the right direction, to support both eBook reading AND applications/media. And that may pave the way to a true multimedia eBook reader/handheld unit such as the much-rumored Apple tablet.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There's really no reason eBooks should be priced above mass paperback prices, since there's almost no "production" cost (other than turning them into electronic formats).

For my own clarity -- by this, I assume you're referring to books that are simultaneously releasing in either hardcover, trade, or mass-market print formats, and not about books produced solely in e-format?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
For my own clarity -- by this, I assume you're referring to books that are simultaneously releasing in either hardcover, trade, or mass-market print formats, and not about books produced solely in e-format?

Correct. Obviously there are costs for editing, typesetting, and all that stuff that goes with production and marketing. I'm talking strictly the costs associated with printing, binding, warehousing, transportation, distribution (stores, distributors...) etc.

Right now, the price differences between the hardcover and digital formats are pretty good: $21 (HC) vs. $9.50 (eBook). But if you compare the eBook prices to trade paperbacks, the difference isn't something to write home about. To me, eBook prices need to come down to at least 40% of print, or something comparable to mass market. So, a $15 trade would have a $6 eBook version.

Last edited:

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
I've read a few books on my iPod touch with an app called Eucalyptus. I really like it. It's way better than I expected. Easy controls to zoom the text size. turn a page backwards or forwards with the flick of a finger or thumb for one handed operation. The interactivity and animation for page turns is wonderful and has the 'feel' of a real page turn. Fantastic mobility and tons of books available. Have not looked but there may be other apps that are as nice to use.

But as maestrowork said, I really want to see what Apple might come up with. A rumor I've heard is that it might be the first to use color eInk.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the "other" also because of cost concerns and wanting to be able to read any book I buy on whatever platform I happen to have available to me. I really don't like proprietary formats and the limitations that puts on the consumer. IIRC, my daughter's Sony can't read Kindle books, for example.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Right now, the price differences between the hardcover and digital formats are pretty good: $21 (HC) vs. $9.50 (eBook). But if you compare the eBook prices to trade paperbacks, the difference isn't something to write home about. To me, eBook prices need to come down to at least 40% of print, or something comparable to mass market. So, a $15 trade would have a $6 eBook version.

That's something the trad publishers need to get sorted - and why I primarily buy my ebooks from other publishers, where a standard length ebook is the about the price you state (mine for instance is $6.50 e, $16 print)

If it costs more to buy the e-book, I'll buy the print. Maybe just a sneaky way for those publishers to say 'Oh, well we tried e-publishing, but no one was buying'?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Currently, I have never bought an e-book in my life and don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

Which is weird, since my first Star Trek work was for an e-series. Course, I got .pdf copies of all the work in front of mine and since as reference material for my one published work and my one approved (but unpublished) story.

Nothing against e-books, but I still prefer wandering in a bookstore and finding stuff. I just have no interest in searching out books on line when there's a ton of paper books I have waiting for me to read and new ones every week at the bookstore.

*shrug*

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I already spend enough time staring at screens. I don't need books to be another thing annoying me.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I've taken to reading e-books -- when I can get them -- because my eyesight has gotten so messed up that I can only read comfortably on a large enough computer monitor. Hard copy and I parted company several years ago. I'll read what I have to on paper, but I read what I want to on the screen.

Unfortunately, that means I can't read a lot. Used print books are cheap, even free from reading friends. E-books cost money, and they are low priority on my budget.

One reason I like beta reading, heh-heh ;)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will eventually spring for an e-reader. I think I'd like e-books a lot, really. I just haven't been intrigued enough yet to take the plunge.

I am also waiting for a water-proof e-reader. I like to read in the pool in the summer, and the bathtub all year long. When you drop a $15 book in the pool, it's not that big a deal. :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I will eventually spring for an e-reader. I think I'd like e-books a lot, really. I just haven't been intrigued enough yet to take the plunge.

I am also waiting for a water-proof e-reader. I like to read in the pool in the summer, and the bathtub all year long. When you drop a $15 book in the pool, it's not that big a deal. :D

There are always zip-lock bags. :ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.