PDA

View Full Version : Cheated death and now on borrowed time!

Stargazer
10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
In my youth, I did some slightly silly things and nearly ended up under the wheels of a car a couple of times, but never got that feeling that I had just come within an inch of my life.

Today however, for the first time, I feel like I've lived a Final Destination movie. I'm still walking around like I've been hit with a big bag of WTF.

I went to be early last night, my wife followed about an hour later and we both were fast asleep just before midnight. The next thing I know, we're both sitting upright, the clock says 04:00 (or thereabouts) and we're looking at each other, bleary eyed, tired and confused.

Then simultaneously, we realised we could smell gas. One of the cats must have walked along the edge fo the cooker, and somehow pressed the knob and turned it so that one of the hob rings was blowing at full blast.

We began swearing, much like in the opening scene of Four Weddings and a Funeral, running around the house and trying to swap gas for clean air. Of course, this meant trying to herd six cats into a spare bedroom (indoor cats) to stop them escaping.

The most frightening thing of it all, is that just an hour later, sixty little minutes, the boiler (also in the kitchen) would have fired up to start heating the water.

Given that the gas was so strong all the way up stairs on the far side of the house, I hate to think how much of it there was downstairs. had that boiler fired up, my house would just be a crater smoulering in the middle of Dunstable and I'd have some seriosly pissed-off neighbours.

Makes you wonder how lucky you are sometimes. The guys here at work just keep telling me though that you can cheat death first time around, but you always get knocked-off in the sequel.

Oh joy!

So what now... Do I start going through my bucket list or do I carry on as normal?

Or perhaps I should see about having the cats tranquilised at night time.

Rob.

KTC
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow. Glad to hear you're okay! Close call.

Of course, by Final Destination standards, you'll probably be dead by noon.

Let's be careful out there!

Misa Buckley
10-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh my God, how close was that? I reckon you put a couple of quid on the lottery

YAwriter72
10-16-2009, 04:48 PM
A close call!

And ftr, I have no idea how I survived my teen years cause I did a lot of stupid asshat things. (Riding in the bed of a pickup truck with a bunch of friends drinking while the driver, also drinking, drove hell bent on back roads taking corners on two wheels) Yeah, my kids are never allowed out of the house!

25 years later I'm still around, so maybe these incidents are just to show us how easy it would be to be wiped out so enjoy life!

cray
10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
get rid of the cats.

or the stove.

MoonWriter
10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
That had to be one hell of a scary experience. I'm happy you're still around to write about it. :)

Your bucket list: empty it, refill it, repeat. If nothing else, you'll have more experiences to write about.

CACTUSWENDY
10-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow. It sounds like you are living under a 'special sign'. Make sure you live each day as a last one....'cause it just might be.

Sounds like the kitchen should be off limits for the cats.

backslashbaby
10-16-2009, 06:03 PM
So scary! I think some folks just cheat death a lot. Dunno why. I have so many crazy stories that I thought everybody had, but not everybody is part cat, apparently :)

AAMOF, one little story includes looking up from the bedroom and seeing the stove ablaze, with Pepe Le Pew kitty sitting on the counter with a "What'd I do now" look on his face :D I unplug the stove unless I'm using it now, for the record.

Take care! If you only have 9 lives, you'd better pace yourself :D

kct webber
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
You lucky, lucky bastid.

Glad to hear you woke up.

JimmyB27
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Yikes. I might have heard that go up from where I am too. You should tell your cats they'll be in the oven if they do it again...;)

Darzian
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Thank Heavens you actually woke! Stranger still, you and your wife woke simultaneously.

Are you sure it was the cat? Would a cat push in the knob and turn it simultaneously? (I don't have a cat so I don't know much about their behaviour).

Roger J Carlson
10-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Are you sure it was the cat? Would a cat push in the knob and turn it simultaneously? (I don't have a cat so I don't know much about their behaviour).It is undoubtedly Satan. Most of them are.

KTC
10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
is the OP dead yet?

just checking.

Wayne K
10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
The shock might have killed him.

stormie
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Glad you're okay! Sure it was the cat and not a ghostie? http://bestsmileys.com/ghost/2.gif

bettielee
10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I say, tempt the fates again... go skydiving!

:)

Glad you are still vertical! :) And that wife and kitties are also OK...

Stargazer
10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Many thanks for all the replies. I'm still alive (to a degree) and on the way home, I only had a one person in a courier van tailgate too close in the 40mph zone on the A4146, then I narrowly avoided a small crash when I changed lane unexpectedly near a double roundabout (the result of an unforseen sneeze) and when NHS Direct told us to go to A&E to make sure that we were absolutely fine, some dizzy fool on his moby-phone tries to run us over as walked through the hospital car-park.

The scary bit is, I still have to go and cook dinner. What if the gas pipe ruptures and I'm engulfed in a massive fireball?

What if I trip over a cat and then go headfirst into a wok-full of diced pork? I might accidentally stirfry myself into the blackbean!

Ho-hum.

Thanks again everyone.

Rob.

Roger J Carlson
10-16-2009, 09:33 PM
The scary bit is, I still have to go and cook dinner. What if the gas pipe ruptures and I'm engulfed in a massive fireball?

What if I trip over a cat and then go headfirst into a wok-full of diced pork? I might accidentally stirfry myself into the blackbean!I'd suggest going to MacDonalds, but you might be involved in a massive, hot coffee spill.

tjwriter
10-16-2009, 09:40 PM
QUIT USING UP YOUR CAT'S NINE LIVES!

(:D Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Sweetleaf
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
So glad you're okay!

Good luck with dinner.

Mmm, pork and blackbean...

Susie
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Rob, so glad you're all ok. :Hug2:

Silver King
10-17-2009, 04:54 AM
It's strange how some folks can "cheat" death time and again, while others are whisked from our midst without ever getting a second chance, many at a very young age.

I've had several death-defying experiences, but the worst was a rogue wave that completely engulf my boat. I heard it coming, and at the last instant turned to see it nearly upon me. There was nothing to do except steer the vessel to try to ride the face of it. I was afraid then, because I knew there would no surviving that mountain of water. And I was angry, too, letting loose a string of profanities as the boat raced to climb that green wall but never had a chance and was consumed in a roaring avalanche of sea water.

Lucky for me, I resurfaced without a scratch and swam to shore. And luckier still, I went out and bought a bigger, better boat. :)

rhymegirl
10-17-2009, 05:33 AM
It's strange how some folks can "cheat" death time and again, while others are whisked from our midst without ever getting a second chance, many at a very young age.

I've had several death-defying experiences, but the worst was a rogue wave that completely engulf my boat. I heard it coming, and at the last instant turned to see it nearly upon me. There was nothing to do except steer the vessel to try to ride the face of it. I was afraid then, because I knew there would no surviving that mountain of water. And I was angry, too, letting loose a string of profanities as the boat raced to climb that green wall but never had a chance and was consumed in a roaring avalanche of sea water.

Lucky for me, I resurfaced without a scratch and swam to shore. And luckier still, I went out and bought a bigger, better boat. :)

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

You should make a story out of this.

Silver King
10-17-2009, 06:12 AM
...You should make a story out of this.
I might some day. I almost didn't post about it here because I shouldn't have been out that day anyway. The seas were pretty rough, and earlier that morning I had set out with some family members and turned back to port. Then I went out alone.

There just isn't that much sympathy I can muster for people who deliberately put themselves in harm's way like I did, even for myself.

One cool thing I remember, though, and I'll never forget this, is how the boat went vertical and hung there for a moment so that I was looking at the sky. And it seemed that I could motor into the clouds if only I had enough power. Then the boat tipped upside down and I let go of the controls just as the wave rolled over.

KTC
10-17-2009, 06:13 AM
is he dead yet? he must be dead by now?

Darzian
10-17-2009, 07:24 AM
is the OP dead yet?

just checking.

is he dead yet? he must be dead by now?

I'm now convinced that it was KTC and not the cat.

An investigation may be in order.

Williebee
10-17-2009, 07:47 AM
get rid of the cats.

AND the stove.

better.

:)