Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You May Be a Winner!

What is the first thing you'd do (or buy) if you found out you won a big payoff of Powerball or some other lottery?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Put the money away, tell no one, not even family, and quietly look for a nice piece of land, 100 acres or so. When we've found the right piece of land, we'll build our dream house. I'm not super materialistic, and I don't need a mansion, just something bigger that I love.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Pay off debt, put money away for braces, barmitzvahs, college, weddings, retirement, buy a Jag convertible, start a nonprofit philanthropy. Probably in that order but I might squeeze in stuff for family and friends that I'm too stunned to think about when I win.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Let's see - until it runs out:

1.) Pay off all loans & credit cards
2.) Put money away for baby's college fund
3.) Pay off Mortgage
4.) Pay off Car payments
5.) Put money in for retirement
6.) Renovate house completely
7.) Buy land in Pennsylvania, built nice getaway house

And finally:

8.) IF there's any left, plan major one month vacation -> One week in Orlando Florida; Cruise trip with Disney that goes from Orlando/Kennedy through the Panama Canal to California; One week in Disneyland.

Get the feeling I've been planning this? Funny thing, I don't get lottery tickets.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
All of the above, ladies, esp building the house of my dreams and donate for abused women and children, but a lot more, too, like frex (in a collecting mood, in which I am always):

Buy

a full set of classic movies;

1st editions of the bks I love (if "foundable");

a full set of Isr, Swiss, Lichtenstein, USSR and US stamps;

a set of Russian songs (oh, they ARE soooo wonderful, so very wonderful; the ministry of something in USSR issued every yr a set of Russian songs, prob'ly updated);

lots and lots of paintings, sculptures, glassworks, and so on;

implementing my patents

and last, but not least, turrrrrrrravelling and then some more.

There you are!

Dan

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I would donate it to abused men. Too many people only care about women, children and animals. I know if I was being abused, I'd want some help.

That's right, I'm bitter.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
VOTE_BOT said:
Give it to a stranger.

That's very nice, Vote Bot. But then again, robots don't really need money, do they? Plus, if your existence on earth is short-lived anyway....

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pay off debt, buy a house, and invest it so I wouldn't have to have a job, then I could focus on writing, which sounds typical, around here I guess.

It depends how much, too. BUy our parents houses, buy lots of gifts for people, buy lots of books, cds and dvds! My husband and I would like to travel, across the U.S. Buy a camper and just go. Would be cool to see The World, too! I think he would live at Disneyworld if he could. We once figured out how much you would need to stay at the Grand Floridian for a year. Ha.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
everyone says something like "give it to charity" or "invest..." i don't for a minute believe that... i think that's what people think they would do... but in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...

first thing i would do is probably buy a new house for my parents -- and that is an honest truth.

the long-term thing i would do is start my own business -- probably in publishing or new media or a film production company.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
maestro

said:
everyone says something like "give it to charity" or "invest..." i don't for a minute believe that... i think that's what people think they would do... but in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...
Why would you think that?

And on the same note, why would we believe this:
first thing i would do is probably buy a new house for my parents -- and that is an honest truth.

Dan

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...
Not so. When I inherited some money, I made charitable donations. Not everyone wants more stuff.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
WriteRead said:
said:

Why would you think that?

And on the same note, why would we believe this:

Dan

Because most people are not sensible when they actually have $millions on their hands. The same thing happens when people are asked, "What would you do with your tax refunds?" Invest. Donate to charities. Right...

As for a house for my parents -- that goes with the "buying something nice" which I think is reasonable. Of course you don't have to believe me, but that's what I would do. Why? Because I already donate to charities, and I already invest. But my parents need a nice house.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
maestrowork said:

the long-term thing i would do is start my own business -- probably in publishing or new media or a film production company.

Ray - Could you amend this to say that you don't believe most people would actually give it to charity? Because you've met me, you've maybe even read my website and I'm telling you, I've wanted to be in the business of giving away money since I was a kid. I want to have a thinktank and with the products of the think tank, guide program directors to find or initiate programs, mainly for causes related to kids and families.

There are people who want to give money away, if they had it to give, and even when they don't have it to give. And there are plenty of examples.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
mommie4a said:
Ray - Could you amend this to say that you don't believe most people would actually give it to charity? Because you've met me, you've maybe even read my website and I'm telling you, I've wanted to be in the business of giving away money since I was a kid. I want to have a thinktank and with the products of the think tank, guide program directors to find or initiate programs, mainly for causes related to kids and families.

There are people who want to give money away, if they had it to give, and even when they don't have it to give. And there are plenty of examples.

Of course, I don't mean "everyone." I don't need to have $millions to give money away. I already do.

But to be fair, though, I don't see you as the person who would buy lottery tickets to begin with. That's what I was trying to say... those who buy lottery tickets and hope to win the big Powerball jackpot... would be the least likely to want to "invest" and "give money away."

Status
Not open for further replies.