PDA

View Full Version : [B]You May Be a Winner![/B]

rhymegirl
07-15-2005, 10:28 PM
What is the first thing you'd do (or buy) if you found out you won a big payoff of Powerball or some other lottery?

aadams73
07-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Put the money away, tell no one, not even family, and quietly look for a nice piece of land, 100 acres or so. When we've found the right piece of land, we'll build our dream house. I'm not super materialistic, and I don't need a mansion, just something bigger that I love.

Fractured_Chaos
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Pay my bills as far as it'd go.

mommie4a
07-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Pay off debt, put money away for braces, barmitzvahs, college, weddings, retirement, buy a Jag convertible, start a nonprofit philanthropy. Probably in that order but I might squeeze in stuff for family and friends that I'm too stunned to think about when I win.

Elincoln
07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Let's see - until it runs out:

1.) Pay off all loans & credit cards
2.) Put money away for baby's college fund
3.) Pay off Mortgage
4.) Pay off Car payments
5.) Put money in for retirement
6.) Renovate house completely
7.) Buy land in Pennsylvania, built nice getaway house

And finally:

8.) IF there's any left, plan major one month vacation -> One week in Orlando Florida; Cruise trip with Disney that goes from Orlando/Kennedy through the Panama Canal to California; One week in Disneyland.

Get the feeling I've been planning this? Funny thing, I don't get lottery tickets.

JoeEkaitis
07-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Buy a Mercedes-Benz, pay cash for it, and slap this on the bumper:

WriteRead
07-15-2005, 11:11 PM
All of the above, ladies, esp building the house of my dreams and donate for abused women and children, but a lot more, too, like frex (in a collecting mood, in which I am always):

Buy

a full set of classic movies;

1st editions of the bks I love (if "foundable");

a full set of Isr, Swiss, Lichtenstein, USSR and US stamps;

a set of Russian songs (oh, they ARE soooo wonderful, so very wonderful; the ministry of something in USSR issued every yr a set of Russian songs, prob'ly updated);

lots and lots of paintings, sculptures, glassworks, and so on;

implementing my patents

and last, but not least, turrrrrrrravelling and then some more.

There you are!

Dan

loquax
07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
I would donate it to abused men. Too many people only care about women, children and animals. I know if I was being abused, I'd want some help.

That's right, I'm bitter.

maestrowork
07-15-2005, 11:54 PM
have plastic surgery

then move to a place where no one knows me

VOTE_BOT
07-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Give it to a stranger.

robeiae
07-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Take it all to Vegas and make even more money!!!

Rob :)

VOTE_BOT
07-16-2005, 12:57 AM
This is true.

rhymegirl
07-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Give it to a stranger.

That's very nice, Vote Bot. But then again, robots don't really need money, do they? Plus, if your existence on earth is short-lived anyway....

rhymegirl
07-16-2005, 01:10 AM
have plastic surgery

then move to a place where no one knows me
And why would you do that?

sassandgroove
07-16-2005, 01:41 AM
I'd pay off debt, buy a house, and invest it so I wouldn't have to have a job, then I could focus on writing, which sounds typical, around here I guess.

It depends how much, too. BUy our parents houses, buy lots of gifts for people, buy lots of books, cds and dvds! My husband and I would like to travel, across the U.S. Buy a camper and just go. Would be cool to see The World, too! I think he would live at Disneyworld if he could. We once figured out how much you would need to stay at the Grand Floridian for a year. Ha.

maestrowork
07-16-2005, 01:58 AM
everyone says something like "give it to charity" or "invest..." i don't for a minute believe that... i think that's what people think they would do... but in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...

first thing i would do is probably buy a new house for my parents -- and that is an honest truth.

the long-term thing i would do is start my own business -- probably in publishing or new media or a film production company.

wardmclark
07-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Pass out.

WriteRead
07-16-2005, 03:52 AM
said:

everyone says something like "give it to charity" or "invest..." i don't for a minute believe that... i think that's what people think they would do... but in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...
Why would you think that?

And on the same note, why would we believe this:

first thing i would do is probably buy a new house for my parents -- and that is an honest truth.

Dan

reph
07-16-2005, 03:58 AM
in reality, the first thing people will do is blow the money on something like a yacht or a sports car or a big mansion...
Not so. When I inherited some money, I made charitable donations. Not everyone wants more stuff.

maestrowork
07-16-2005, 03:58 AM
said:

Why would you think that?

And on the same note, why would we believe this:

Dan

Because most people are not sensible when they actually have $millions on their hands. The same thing happens when people are asked, "What would you do with your tax refunds?" Invest. Donate to charities. Right...

As for a house for my parents -- that goes with the "buying something nice" which I think is reasonable. Of course you don't have to believe me, but that's what I would do. Why? Because I already donate to charities, and I already invest. But my parents need a nice house.

mommie4a
07-16-2005, 04:56 AM

the long-term thing i would do is start my own business -- probably in publishing or new media or a film production company.

Ray - Could you amend this to say that you don't believe most people would actually give it to charity? Because you've met me, you've maybe even read my website and I'm telling you, I've wanted to be in the business of giving away money since I was a kid. I want to have a thinktank and with the products of the think tank, guide program directors to find or initiate programs, mainly for causes related to kids and families.

There are people who want to give money away, if they had it to give, and even when they don't have it to give. And there are plenty of examples.

maestrowork
07-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Ray - Could you amend this to say that you don't believe most people would actually give it to charity? Because you've met me, you've maybe even read my website and I'm telling you, I've wanted to be in the business of giving away money since I was a kid. I want to have a thinktank and with the products of the think tank, guide program directors to find or initiate programs, mainly for causes related to kids and families.

There are people who want to give money away, if they had it to give, and even when they don't have it to give. And there are plenty of examples.

Of course, I don't mean "everyone." I don't need to have $millions to give money away. I already do.

But to be fair, though, I don't see you as the person who would buy lottery tickets to begin with. That's what I was trying to say... those who buy lottery tickets and hope to win the big Powerball jackpot... would be the least likely to want to "invest" and "give money away."

Shadow Otenaki
07-16-2005, 05:29 AM
I'd fund my writing with the money, buying various resources and things.
I'd also probably waste a lot of it on gaming consoles/games, and anime. Heh.

JennaGlatzer
07-16-2005, 05:45 AM
I would buy a LOT of Boston Market brownies.

Mmmm.

Brownies.

reph
07-16-2005, 05:48 AM
I'd buy Boston Market.

rhymegirl
07-16-2005, 05:57 AM
I just realized that I didn't even answer my own question.

I'd probably be in shock for a bit. I've never really wanted to win a huge amount of money because I don't need that to be happy. My husband thinks winning a big jackpot will solve all our of money problems. But I'm afraid he'd spend it all and then it would be gone and then we'd be right back to where we started.

So, assuming I have control of the money, I would buy a new car (and it doesn't have to be a fancy one), pay off our mortgage, put some money in the bank and then take some time to figure out the rest.

Cabinscribe
07-16-2005, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't tell anyone, and I would continue to go to work everyday as usual.

However, I would say exactly what I've always wanted to say to abusive people on the phone!

Then I would watch with amusement as my bosses struggle to keep up with the number of complaints about me, until finally, they have no choice but to fire me.

At that point, I would walk away, smiling!

;)

astonwest
07-16-2005, 08:24 AM
It obviously would depend on how much the payoff was as to how far you could go...

First, I'd donate my tithe to my church. I'd probably also donate a bit extra to our missionary efforts in Creative Access Areas. (sorry to burst your bubble, Ray)

And of course, I'd have to set aside at least 50% of it for the government.

Then, I'd pay off all my debt (and probably fix up some areas of my house that have needed it for a while). Buy my dad and brother (and their families) homes and a couple of vehicles.

I'd probably splurge a bit on my wife...and then take her on a vacation, which she's constantly whined about.

I'd probably also finally get around to taking flying lessons, as I've always wanted to do.

I'd then stick the rest in various savings accounts to use for month-to-month expenses. I'd be quitting my job (again, depending on the payoff) and going into the invention business with my brother. That would be quite fun with financing available...

An all-electric car would be first on our list.

Maryn
07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Like others have said, it depends on how big the payoff is. A million just doesn't go as far as you'd think! Assuming I'd won much, much more:

I'd pay the taxes on it first.

I'd sell this house and buy one I love in the same town. It would be slightly bigger, not a lot, but loaded with character and storage and built-in bookshelves.

I'd set aside enough that Mr. Maryn and I are assured a very comfortable retirement and that we would not need to leave our home if the worst-case-scenario came true, unless we chose to handle it that way.

I'd prepay college tuitions in full for out kids.

I'd set aside generous gifts for my sister (who could really use it) and for our kids, to be given when they are older, at least 30, and will spend it wisely.

I'll buy a second home, nothing fancy, on a very large wooded lot with a water view.

Then comes the fun part. I'll talk to this woman I know slightly who's fulfilled her dream of running a community charitable fund which channels private and corporate donations where they'll do the most good. I'll share my specific concerns and find out exactly how one generous person who really cares can change the most lives for the better. It's probably going to have to do with inner city kids, education, and breaking the cycle of poverty and crime.

Maryn, selfish do-gooder

Fractured_Chaos
07-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't tell anyone, and I would continue to go to work everyday as usual.

However, I would say exactly what I've always wanted to say to abusive people on the phone!

Then I would watch with amusement as my bosses struggle to keep up with the number of complaints about me, until finally, they have no choice but to fire me.

At that point, I would walk away, smiling!

;)

Oh, YES! A customer Service Rep's dream!

sassandgroove
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I would buy a LOT of Boston Market brownies.

Mmmm.

Brownies.

I used to teach preschool and one day Little Brooke was all a twitter waiting for her mother. I asked her what she was excited about.

"Mom's taking me to 7/11."
"wow, Brookie, what's at 7/11?"
"Slurpees and Bubblegum!"
"Now that's what life is all about, isn't it."
"Yup." She said grinning.

We should all be like Jenna and Brook.

PattiTheWicked
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't really need much out of life. I'd like to be able to do stuff just because I felt like it, without having to worry about whether it was affordable or not, and it would be cool for my husband to be able to quit his job and spend his days at home with me and the kids. So if I won the lottery here's what I'd do:

1. Pay off my house and my truck
2. Buy a cabin and some land in the Blue Ridge mountains that I could visit every spring and fall
3. Get myself a pair of Chuck Taylors in ten different colors
4. Fund a literacy program for schools in Appalachia
5. Get Green Day to come play at my next birthday party
6. Go to Scotland for a month, rent a castle, paint myself blue and run naked across the moors, waving a sword and howling at the top of my lungs just because i CAN
7. Set aside money for my kids to go to college, and pay off my nieces' tuition bills.
8. Send my parents some place really cool as a thank you gift for all the crap they put up with from me.

I can't think of much else I'd need. I mean, I'm sure I could find things to spend it on, but those are the ones that come to mind right off the top of my head.

aka eraser
07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I'd buy my own cabin on a lake and hire a secretary/computer geek to keep me organized and this Infernal Device behaving. Guess I'd need a satellite hookup of sorts too. And a couple of guest cabins for all the new best friends I'd be making. I'd give Ray some for his parents' house since mine are deceased now. I'd give Jill some for her foundation. Though I didn't think underwired bras were THAT pricey.

I'd offer reph a million if she'd write an incorrectly puctuated sentence that contained at least three (3) adverbs. Topic of her choice. I'm not THAT sadistic.

I'd set up grants for promising writers. They'd have to promise never to approach Publish America with their finished ms.

I'd arrange transportation and supply tackle so that children, the disabled, and elderly folks could go fishing.

And I'd pay for a HUGE, state-of-the-art computer to host the Cooler so that crashes would be a thing of the past.

MadScientistMatt
07-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Ok, here's my to-do list if I ever won millions in a lottery.

Find a suitable way to express my shock over winning, since I don't buy lottery tickets.
Give 10% to churches, charities, or other worthy causes.
Set aside some of it for my upcoming wedding and honeymoon.
Have my Dodge Dart built up to exactly the specs I want it to be built to. Get a pro to redo the bodywork. Finish my turbo / EFI engine buildup. Swap in a 6-speed transmission and 8 3/4" rear axle. Some better suspension work. Top it off by having the back seat completely re-upholstered in original-style fabric, new front seats from a BMW upholstered to match, and the rest of the interior completely cleaned to eliminate any trace of mildew.
Buy the best Nissan 300ZX Turbo I can find for my fiancee. She has dream cars too. :)
And a detached garage so we can live with more than two cars without parking anything outside.
A private Jaccuzi would be nice. Very nice.
After that's over... I really don't know.

SRHowen
07-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Move off the grid--way off the gird. And take it from there----

Shawn

Yeshanu
07-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Go to Scotland for a month, rent a castle, paint myself blue and run naked across the moors, waving a sword and howling at the top of my lungs just because i CAN

And I'd buy a really good movie setup and hide in the bushes... (Website coming soon, folks... :D )

I'd arrange transportation and supply tackle so that children, the disabled, and elderly folks could go fishing.

Frank, did you know some Ontario Provincial Parks now have tackle loan programs?

Speaking of Provincial Parks, I spent a week in Algonquin with the kids this year, and we generally camp in an out-of-the way campground that has small, non-electric sites that are mostly used by tenters. Our usual spot, however, was taken by this great big (must have been at least 30') trailer (brand new), and a huge, brand new van. They had parked there for the maximum length of stay, from what I could see on their permit. Toys strewn all over the site. New toys.

The van had a vanity plate: LUCKY4US

Any bets on how those folks spent their lottery winnings?

As for me, I'd donate a sizable chunk to charity, but I'd be in a bit of a quandry, since our church doesn't approve of lotteries, and individual churches are asked not to apply for grants that are funded by lotteries (though the final decision is left to the congregation.)

On the other hand, since I agree (mostly) with my church's stance, I don't buy tickets, so the problem isn't likely to come up in the near future. Or the far future.

And Shadow:

I'd fund my writing with the money, buying various resources and things.
I'd also probably waste a lot of it on gaming consoles/games, and anime. Heh.

How much writing would you actually get done if you bought all those gaming consoles and games? (Experience talking here...)

SRHowen
07-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Oh and I'd have as many cats as I'd want, of all sorts -- and hire someone to clean litter boxes.

reph
07-20-2005, 05:34 AM
I'd offer reph a million if she'd write an incorrectly puctuated sentence that contained at least three (3) adverbs.
Two million.

maestrowork
07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
Two million.

And it has to be published in the New Yorker...

samgail
07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
But to be fair, though, I don't see you as the person who would buy lottery tickets to begin with. ."

It is really hard to win if you don't play!

I would open a day spa with the works, make it amazing and offer services available on a sliding scale, take a loss and write it off on my taxes. oh yeah, that would make my accountant happy! I would definitily take care of my parents-which in my mind is where charitable work should start.(at home, wherever that is for you)
Sam

P.S.
I want to buy cars for all my co-workers and the girl that sells me the tickets, and put big bows on them in the parking lot.

reph
07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
I would open a day spa ... take a loss and write it off on my taxes.
If you take a loss too often, the IRS will declare your enterprise a hobby rather than a business and will disallow your deductions.

I slip so easily into the role of wet blanket.

Nivvie
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Pay off all the crap, then get some land grow a load of organic fruit and veg and be as self sufficient as possible. Be a completely a vegan, solar panel owning, composting, fresh air breathing escapee from modering living that doesn't own an alarm clock.

GonnaBeFamous
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
It really depends on how much it is.... If its lets say 2 million or higher then probably something like this

Half to invest
Other half would go to Charity, Buying me a house, Buying my parents a house, helping my sister/brother in law, Going on vacations.