Nazi Hunting Feds?

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

I've been reading about the FBI's Special Investigation Service, which ran intelligence operations in Central and South America during WWII. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good resources for researching the actual operations of this group.

Also, I've read about the Justice Dept's Office of Special Investigations, which apparantly investigates war crimes and was formed to help track and apprehend ex-Nazis. It was apparantly formed in 1979. Does anyone know what gov't organization was lead in this area before that? I'm thinking in terms of a wartime agent who worked for FBI SIS, then wanted to stay in the buisness of tracing Nazi's in that region after 1946. Could he have stayed in the FBI or would he have needed to switch agencies?

Finally, does anyone know if the Justice Depatment's OSI are sworn Federal law enforcement officers or are they more of an intel organization?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I assume you've seen their website? http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/osi/

Have you tried sending an email? I emailed the Marshal's service with a question pertaining to my novel-in-progress and they did reply. It took a while because my email was forwarded around until they found the right person to answer the question. (A historian.) Your question seems like it would be perfect for a historian at the Department of Justice Criminal Division. I'm thinking they like positive press.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any direct help. Good luck with your research!