PDA

View Full Version : New York City Detective Squad questions

Ken Hoss
10-16-2009, 04:55 AM
My current WIP is about a female homicide detective out of the 3-3 (33rd Precinct). I'm looking to get some details on procedures and practices, as well as some terminology specific to NYPD.

One question, if a drug dealer shoots a person, and that person dies a few days later, would the narcotics squad turn the case over to homicide?

2. If two detectives are looking for a perp, and find the perp, but the perp is surrounded by several "buddies", would they go ahead and arrest? Or would they wait and call for backup?

3. If they call for backup, would they call Central Dispatch, or the Squad?

Thanks!

smcc360
10-16-2009, 05:25 AM
My current WIP is about a female homicide detective out of the 3-3 (33rd Precinct). I'm looking to get some details on procedures and practices, as well as some terminology specific to NYPD.

One question, if a drug dealer shoots a person, and that person dies a few days later, would the narcotics squad turn the case over to homicide?

Yes.

2. If two detectives are looking for a perp, and find the perp, but the perp is surrounded by several "buddies", would they go ahead and arrest? Or would they wait and call for backup?

Depends on the detectives. Two old school hairbags would just go make the collar, and anybody who objects can go to Central Booking too. If they want their own guys, they'd call the squad. If they want uniforms from the 33, they might go over Central, or they might just call the desk. Depends on the precinct commander and who's on the desk that night. If either or both are douchebags, your detectives would probably just call their own guys on a cell phone.

Keep in mind that I'm a cop, but not NYPD. All of this info comes from working with NYPD, but its something of an outsider's perspective. I don't know of any PD detectives post here, but their insight would trump mine by a wide margin.

Ken Hoss
10-16-2009, 07:09 AM
smcc360, thanks for the info, it does help.

I was trying to work out a scene where my MC and her new partner are sitting up the block from a tenement waiting for their suspect to arrive. He pulls up in his Escalade but has 4 tough guys with him. The MC has already been through a bad situation where her previous partner was shot and killed. So, she doesn't want a repeat.

You have worked with NYPD? Do you mind if I ask where you work?

Can you possibly give me some other tips on current procedures? Processes? What are drug dealers driving these days? (This guy is Puerto Rican) Know of any detectives in the NYPD willing to share their stories?

I was both a Navy cop, and spent 2 years on the El Cajon PD in California. I quit after the Chief and other top officers were brought up on corruption charges. (I didn't want to be associated with that.) Unfortunatly, it soured me on the job and I never went back to it. That was in 1987, and I made a major career change, I'm an IT Analyst now. (BIG change.)

Thanks again!

Rowan
10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
smcc360, thanks for the info, it does help.

I was trying to work out a scene where my MC and her new partner are sitting up the block from a tenement waiting for their suspect to arrive. He pulls up in his Escalade but has 4 tough guys with him. The MC has already been through a bad situation where her previous partner was shot and killed. So, she doesn't want a repeat.

You have worked with NYPD? Do you mind if I ask where you work?

Can you possibly give me some other tips on current procedures? Processes? What are drug dealers driving these days? (This guy is Puerto Rican) Know of any detectives in the NYPD willing to share their stories?

I was both a Navy cop, and spent 2 years on the El Cajon PD in California. I quit after the Chief and other top officers were brought up on corruption charges. (I didn't want to be associated with that.) Unfortunatly, it soured me on the job and I never went back to it. That was in 1987, and I made a major career change, I'm an IT Analyst now. (BIG change.)

Thanks again!

I may be of some help re: drug dealers/addicts questions. Feel free to PM me w/specific questions! [Like smcc360, I'm not a NYPD cop but former fed on the drug side]

Ken Hoss
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Rowan, I will definitely give you a shout if I have something come up.