KWTX: "One Baptist Church To Celebrate Halloween By Burning Bibles"

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Link to the full article.

Thought I'd share this since we all love a good book-burning. >_>

The Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, N.C. will celebrate Halloween by burning Bibles that aren’t the King James Version, as well as music and books and anything else Pastor Marc Grizzard says is a satanic influence.

According to the church’s Web site, members will also burn “Satan's music such as country, rap, rock, pop, heavy metal, western, soft and easy, southern gospel, contemporary Christian, jazz, soul (and) oldies.

Oh boy oh boy!

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, they have a thing for this Halloween. In Westbury, they're celebrating Halloween by dressing up as money-grubbing, evil Jews and making videos that say "Israel--your doom is coming."

Crazy Baptists.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
smh @ these people--

wait, what the FUCK! This is like right next to my high school!

Awww, you gotta be shittin' me. Just when I've started to convince people that people in the mountains of North Carolina aren't ignorant hicks.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I want them to burn thousands of copies of my book. Did they leave a phone number?

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Also, they realize that even the NT wasn't originally in English, right? Why would they burn a crappy translation of even their own book?

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, they realize that even the NT wasn't originally in English, right? Why would they burn a crappy translation of even their own book?
Sigh. No, no they don't realize that. They really don't. Trust me, I grew up amongst them.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
A German once put this very succinctly: Those who burn books will eventually burn people.

Its written on a monument in East Berlin, in the very square where they did the burnings.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Because they're idiots.

As far as your first post. I'm sorry people are stupid and hateful enough to do things like that my friend.

Like you said. They're idiots. A church doing that means nothing compared to state-sponsored anti-Semitism. I feel bad for those people for being so ignorant and brainwashed.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. No, no they don't realize that. They really don't. Trust me, I grew up amongst them.

I remember a few years ago reading a story about a woman who told a school board during public comments about adopting an English-only curriculum, "If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me."

Of course, it might be apocryphal.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

That reminds me of the white supremacists claiming he was a white guy.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
CANTON, N.C. (October 13, 2009)—The Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, N.C. will celebrate Halloween by burning Bibles that aren’t the King James Version, as well as music and books and anything else Pastor Marc Grizzard says is a satanic influence.

Among the authors whose books Grizzard plans to burn are well known ministers Rick Warren and Billy Graham because he says they have occasionally used Bibles other than the King James Version, which is the sole biblical source he considers infallible

According to the church’s Web site, members will also burn “Satan's music such as country, rap, rock, pop, heavy metal, western, soft and easy, southern gospel, contemporary Christian, jazz, soul (and) oldies.

“We will also be burning Satan's popular books written by heretics like Billy Graham, Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, John McArthur, James Dobson, Charles Swindoll, John Piper, Chuck Colson, Tony Evans, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swagart, Mark Driskol, Franklin Graham, Bill Bright, Tim Lahaye, Paula White, T.D. Jakes, Benny Hinn, Joyce Myers, Brian McLaren, Robert Schuller, Mother Teresa, The Pope, Rob Bell, Erwin McManus, Donald Miller, Shane Claiborne, Brennan Manning (and) William Young.

This scares the Christian out of me and makes me ashamed to be Baptist.
Where do these nutballs come from?

It is simply amazing to what an uncheck Ego can accomplish.

Mel...

p.s. This is why certain people should not be allowed to breed. Just kidding, well sorta :D

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
14 kooks...

add them to the 75 or so at phelps' westboro baptist, and you have about as many people as occupy the first five rows at thousands of christian churches filled with largely tolerant people who just want to live by their religious tenets and be left in peace.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh dear. Sadly, mapquest reports that this is 43 minutes from my house.

I might be in the blast radius.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. Sadly, mapquest reports that this is 43 minutes from my house.

I might be in the blast radius.

For shits and giggles, you should attend the church, then tell us what its like to be in crazytown :D

Mel...