man-and-machine_0.jpg

He's like a real life Tony Stark.

Who's...black.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I love this quote in the comments

Everyone knows that both aluminum and steel are fail... He need to get his hands on some gundanium.

You know there is a lab somewhere that does have a mecha

actually, i've said too much. Disregard...

Mel...

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
*yawn*

The thing is severely underpowered and outside of being a nifty piece of kinematic sculpture a mech warrior it isn't.

Look up the Sarcos XOS system, or the Lockheed Martin HULC prototypes for something a bit more realistic and functional.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Tall bipedal designs for any robot are generally considered bad. There's a reason we use tanks instead.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The difference being is this is something a guy cobbled together in his backyard, without millions of dollars.

Also, don't you know, plucky backyard inventor is always better than soulless corporate creations. Movies have told me this, and THEY DO NOT LIE.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Zoombie, you do know the backstory, right? :D
Many variations of exoskeletons can be found in science fiction and gaming. It was first popularized in Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 novel Starship Troopers as powered armor used by the Mobile Infantry.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
*Now that is the one main thing wrong with Verhoeven's adaptation of ST. If he'd made a high school drama WITH giant powered exoskeletons, that would have been THE best movie ever.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The one main thing wrong with Verhoeven's adaptation was that all he used was the book's title. The movie bore no resemblance whatsoever to the book. If Heinlein had been alive, he would have become a real-life Howard Roark.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason the thought of a 90 year old Heinlein at his crotchety best bursting onto Verhoeven's set and breaking shit just fills me with glee.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, me too, Albedo. It would have been a sight to see, no doubt. I'm surprised it didn't bring him back from the grave. Even better would have been a Zombie Heinlein breaking shit on the set.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
If he'd made a high school drama WITH giant powered exoskeletons, that would have been THE best movie ever.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Tragically, that turns out not to be the case. Stuart Gordon made a movie from a Joe Haldeman script that more or less matched that description. It was lucky not to end up on MST3K.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The one main thing wrong with Verhoeven's adaptation was that all he used was the book's title. The movie bore no resemblance whatsoever to the book. If Heinlein had been alive, he would have become a real-life Howard Roark.

No, the best thing about Verhoven's adaptation was that it was the most subversive movie made in decades. It took the right wing's militaristic utopia and turned it into a brick stupid high school teen drama fest wherein most everyone dies due to amazingly stupid command decisions.

In other words, it was a gigantic fuck you to Heinline, which I fully commend him for because no matter how many times you use flimsy excuses, Starship Troopers was still a FASCIST utopia novel.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I saw it as about patriotism, love of country, and the assumption of responsibility for society. And this from a 60s hippy who got his ass whupped over Vietnam more than once. Where did the fascism come in? Militaristic, certainly. But fascist?

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Its because the only way one can change the government is by joining the government and the military is the most hyped up part of the book.

The best way...to change the government...is to be trained BY THE GOVERNMENT to become a good citizen.

Don, I can't believe i need to point this out to you! YOU ARE THE ANARCHIST HERE!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Restricting the vote to an approved group isn't really the definition of fascist, Zoombie. As a matter of fact, that's been the historical practice. Even today, we restrict the vote to a certain age, and deny it to felons.

ST was about much more than the vote, but more about the relationship of authority and responsibility. He posited one way to tie those two issues in lockstep in ST, and other ways in any number of his other works.

Heinlein was not particularly militaristic, as The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, among others, illustrates. Heinlein was adamantly opposed to conscription, as a matter of fact.
I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don't think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called. We have had the draft for twenty years now; I think this is shameful. If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say : Let the damned thing go down the drain!
Guest of Honor Speech at the 29th World Science Fiction Convention, Seattle, Washington (1961)

So, again, where's the fascism in the work? Verhoven claimed it was full of it, true... but he also admitted he never finished reading the book, so his opinion doesn't count for much.

Yes, I guess you could call me an anarchist... pattered after Rational Anarchists, as described by another Heinlein character, Professor Bernardo de la Paz in TMIAHM.

A rational anarchist believes that concepts, such as "state" and "society" and "government" have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals. He believes that it is impossible to shift blame, share blame, distribute blame ... as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else. But being rational, he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly in an imperfect world ... aware that his efforts will be less than perfect yet undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure.

I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.