PDA

View Full Version : Sexy new ebook reader from B&N!

DamaNegra
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I want this. I really want this. http://gizmodo.com/5381149/bn-reader-gal//gallery?selectedImage=1

It's an ebook reader with a combined e-ink + LCD touchscreen displays. That means you get all the benefits of the e-ink reading interface, without the nuisance of having to use e-ink for menus or reduced visibility because of extra layers for interactivity. This is awesome! The formal announcement will be in a couple of days, but I cannot resist! And it's supposed to be cheaper than the Kindle, too....

Misa Buckley
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Shiny, but will it be released world-wide from the get go?

DamaNegra
10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Shiny, but will it be released world-wide from the get go?
I sincerely hope so, since I'm not in the US. If not, I'll go over there and buy one anyway, I guess.

emilycross
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Nerdy moment: When i was in university we looked at product life cycle etc. and its so funny when i look at e-readers because they definitely seem to be following it.

For me, i shall wait for the mature stage, where all the kinks are worked out and there is standard software/gadgets for all e-readers (and of course costs are lower). but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

The Lonely One
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Are the only main e-readers thus far this one, Sony's and Kindle? I like the sony pocket reader for the price, about $100 less than Kindle is listed for.

This B&N one looks neat, though I've always liked to give Sony business (I trust their products for the most part).

I wonder how many people actually own one of these yet. They are pretty neat, though.

Phaeal
10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting, too. I always give the new gadgets about five-ten years to settle in. Except for the elements I need to keep my desktop running Diablo at top speed. ;)

The Lonely One
10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

Perhaps solar powered, and it would definitely have a stylus and writing program included. I know at that point we're approaching making a small computer rather than a reader, but I don't think with a touch screen adding a stylus program (like on a tablet PC) would be too difficult.

I know we writers would enjoy taking our e-readers out by the lake with their 2-week batteries and non-sun-inflicted screens and just writing our hearts out. Then settling in with a good book (besides the one we're writing) :)

The Lonely One
10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting, too. I always give the new gadgets about five-ten years to settle in.

Hehe is that by choice? I do the same thing, and I keep telling myself it's a choice...

C.M.C.
10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't care how sexy it is. I'm never going to be comfortable staring at an electronic screen for that long without my eyes wanting to fall out of my head.

veinglory
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
The thing is, ereaders have already been around that long and longer. I had a rocket ebook reader 10 years ago--and there are at least 20 different models avaialble right now. A product can't mature any faster than the underlying technological knowledge--and of you need ebook reader now, you put up with the limitations. If it is a luxury that needs to be ultra-perfect and sexy, you wait.

Tara Stone
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Oooh... that may just be enough to get me to rethink my loyalty to my Sony PRS-505. :)

Medievalist
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Me, I want the Please-Dear-Mr.-Jobs-Make-It-Happen Apple Tablet.

LCD backlit touchscreen with Wifi.

Can read Web pages
Can read eReader, OpenEbook, Script, HTML, Mobi, Kindle books

The Lonely One
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Oooh... that may just be enough to get me to rethink my loyalty to my Sony PRS-505. :)

Upstream I mentioned I'd been sort of interested in the Sony reader--could you pretty please PM me and let me know what you like about the Sony, and if the pocket version is different/worse/better?

Curiosity strikes :)

maestrowork
10-15-2009, 07:50 PM
It does look kind of sexy but I agree with Medievalist: I'm holding on to my Kindle and waiting for the Apple iTablet (or whatever it is going to be called, if it happens).

However, it must have eInk (and not LCD) to make it a viable eBook reader. But judging from the B/N reader (with dual LCD and eInk), I think it's going to happen.

The problem with B/N is that their book buying experience kind of sucks. The great thing about the Kindle is that it's simple, and you can buy books and have them appear almost instantly on your reader without waiting. With over 300000 books available (often with discount prices), that's a huge deal.

BN's eBooks are still relatively expensive, so until they cut their prices and make the buying/distribution process easier, I'll have to wait and see.

Being sexy isn't really what eBook readers are about. What it is about is ease of use, wireless purchase and downloads, electronic OTA media (newspapers, magazines, RSS feeds, blogs, etc.), and a wide range of file formats including the universal PDF.

veinglory
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
The down side of Kindle outside of the US is that prices are higher outside if the ebook is available ,at all the ease of buying is not as good. I hope B&N/Ficrionwise manage something better--but the signs are not good.

BlackBriar
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Nerdy moment: When i was in university we looked at product life cycle etc. and its so funny when i look at e-readers because they definitely seem to be following it.

For me, i shall wait for the mature stage, where all the kinks are worked out and there is standard software/gadgets for all e-readers (and of course costs are lower). but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

Let's hope that these stores start supporting the epub format.

Are the only main e-readers thus far this one, Sony's and Kindle? I like the sony pocket reader for the price, about $100 less than Kindle is listed for.

This B&N one looks neat, though I've always liked to give Sony business (I trust their products for the most part).

I wonder how many people actually own one of these yet. They are pretty neat, though.

They lowered the price of the Kindle for about 50$

I don't care how sexy it is. I'm never going to be comfortable staring at an electronic screen for that long without my eyes wanting to fall out of my head.

The B&N has e-ink i think. The color lcd will probably be for buying and cover view.

Me, I want the Please-Dear-Mr.-Jobs-Make-It-Happen Apple Tablet.

LCD backlit touchscreen with Wifi.

Can read Web pages
Can read eReader, OpenEbook, Script, HTML, Mobi, Kindle books

:D Microsoft got there first- http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/29/new-microsoft-courier-video-details-tablet-interface-exciting-l/

Upstream I mentioned I'd been sort of interested in the Sony reader--could you pretty please PM me and let me know what you like about the Sony, and if the pocket version is different/worse/better?

Curiosity strikes :)

The 5 inches is very readable, no complaints about it. It is light, though if it was just a bit heavier it would be uncomfortable. I read it in bed with it held in the air with no problems. Navigation is easy enough, though I don't really understand the way the side numbers (by the screen) exactly work. I tend to rely on author name, date added, and bookmarks for getting to my books. Format support is good, and it has better support for .pdfs than the Kindle (haven't had any problems with .pdfs). There seem to be less complaints about the pocket version than the other version that was released with it on mobileread.com.

It does look kind of sexy but I agree with Medievalist: I'm holding on to my Kindle and waiting for the Apple iTablet (or whatever it is going to be called, if it happens).

However, it must have eInk (and not LCD) to make it a viable eBook reader. But judging from the B/N reader (with dual LCD and eInk), I think it's going to happen.

The problem with B/N is that their book buying experience kind of sucks. The great thing about the Kindle is that it's simple, and you can buy books and have them appear almost instantly on your reader without waiting. With over 300000 books available (often with discount prices), that's a huge deal.

BN's eBooks are still relatively expensive, so until they cut their prices and make the buying/distribution process easier, I'll have to wait and see.

Being sexy isn't really what eBook readers are about. What it is about is ease of use, wireless purchase and downloads, electronic OTA media (newspapers, magazines, RSS feeds, blogs, etc.), and a wide range of file formats including the universal PDF.

Yeah, they definitely suck. Hopefully it'll be easier if they do an amazon and have a direct-to-device downloads. Still, their drm was PITA when I used them to buy the Gathering Storm prologue.

The down side of Kindle outside of the US is that prices are higher outside if the ebook is available ,at all the ease of buying is not as good. I hope B&N/Ficrionwise manage something better--but the signs are not good.

:D

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/15/g...ore-launching/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ezkegD9BBHAT80

Hopefully they drive the prices down.

Also, if anyone wants a Sony ebook reader on the cheap, supposedly retail stores are getting rid of the older versions for around 15$. Check the mobileread.com forum for more info.

The Lonely One
10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Also, if anyone wants a Sony ebook reader on the cheap, supposedly retail stores are getting rid of the older versions for around 15$. Check the mobileread.com forum for more info.

no kidding...

maestrowork
10-15-2009, 09:14 PM

The eInk is an entirely different thing. No back light. No flickering. No eye strains. In fact, no electrons being emitted once the "text" has been rendered on the screen -- it truly is just like ink on paper.

Give it a try before jumping to conclusion.

veinglory
10-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I gave it a try and actually prefer my laptop. Very low contrast, at least as the Sopny reader uses it.

maestrowork
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I gave it a try and actually prefer my laptop. Very low contrast, at least as the Sopny reader uses it.

The Sony, yes. The Kindle is better but I still think the background is a shade too beige.

And it's still difficult for me to "adjust" to needing light to read the eBook reader. I know, I need light to read a printed book, too, but when I hold the Kindle, my mind goes into "it's an electronic reader so it's gotta have back light" mode. I'm still adjusting.

Shadow_Ferret
10-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Why don't they design those things ergonomically? It's a flat board. How uncomfortable is that holding it in your hands for a long time? At least books are flexible and conform to your hands.

BlackBriar
10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
The Sony, yes. The Kindle is better but I still think the background is a shade too beige.

And it's still difficult for me to "adjust" to needing light to read the eBook reader. I know, I need light to read a printed book, too, but when I hold the Kindle, my mind goes into "it's an electronic reader so it's gotta have back light" mode. I'm still adjusting.

*polite cough* I never seen the Kindle in person, but according to reviews, the Kindle has glare problems. I read inside my place, but sometimes near a window, and my sony is still readable in th light. I really can't tell the difference between reading on my sony and a book.

I am not totally in love with my Sony though. It has an up/down button, and I keep pressing the up (or is it down?) button and it turns the page back. I do this quite often and it can get annoying after a while. I am adding more and more ebooks to my reader, and I now have to take the precaution of going to the Date sort, bookmarking the ebooks I really want to read instead of the ones that I've already read. This seems to be the fastest way of getting to them.

I love the battery life though. Had it for a few weeks now, and I haven't set down to fill the battery once. I doubt I've had it charge for more than two hours combine and it just keeps chugging along. This can probably be said for the kindle and other ebook readers though...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56856

Glare: The Kindle 2 and the PRS-600 have an indistinguishable amount of reflectivity. They both require avoidance of spot lighting. There is no concern about how much glare you experience on either device, as long as you're willing to make minor efforts to compensate for it (tilt it slightly, use a book-light, whatever works).

Clarity: Remember the 505? Remember how it really looked like paper? No other reader I've used has been quite that good. It's because of the contrast. The 300 and the 505 are almost exactly the same, but, the 300 supports more levels of gray, and a slightly lower contrast because of it. The 300 looks exactly the same as the 505 until you put one next to the other and you can see slight differences in the clarity. The 505 wins but by almost immeasurably little.

Why don't they design those things ergonomically? It's a flat board. How uncomfortable is that holding it in your hands for a long time? At least books are flexible and conform to your hands.

I often read with a book laying on something cause it is uncomfortable to hold. Ebook readers are also lighter than a lot of books. They could have saved some space though, on the sides, since I can barely (but I can) hold it with one hand.

Delhomeboy
10-16-2009, 02:20 AM
The eInk is an entirely different thing. No back light. No flickering. No eye strains. In fact, no electrons being emitted once the "text" has been rendered on the screen -- it truly is just like ink on paper.

Give it a try before jumping to conclusion.

Eh, a screen is a screen is a screen. A woman who came into the resort let me see hers once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference as far as eye strain went. Now, that PROBABLY is just me, but still.

maestrowork
10-16-2009, 02:26 AM

It's comfortable to me to read, even in bed.

*polite cough* I never seen the Kindle in person, but according to reviews, the Kindle has glare problems. I read inside my place, but sometimes near a window, and my sony is still readable in th light. I really can't tell the difference between reading on my sony and a book.

I've had no problem, even reading in sunlight. The thing is eInk, no backlight, and the glass isn't that reflective.

Eh, a screen is a screen is a screen. A woman who came into the resort let me see hers once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference as far as eye strain went. Now, that PROBABLY is just me, but still.

It's just you. :) A screen is not a screen is not a screen. LCD and eInk are very different. Try reading texts on each for an extended amount of time (say, an hour or two) and you WILL notice the difference. I can read on my Kindle for hours without any eye strain because it is just like reading on paper (and just like with paper, you will need a good light source).

In fact, I'd say eInk readers are better than print because you can choose font sizes. I make mine pretty big so I don't ever have to use my reading glasses (yes, I'm getting older). Some books are torture on my eyes because of the small prints.

maestrowork
10-16-2009, 02:30 AM
BTW, if you can't afford an eBook reader but already have an iPhone or iPod Touch, download the Kindle for iPhone. No, it's not eInk, but it's surprisingly easy on the eye and convenient to read (just not for a long time). The iPhone/iPod Touch screen is a bit small so you will be scrolling a lot.

squibnocket
10-16-2009, 02:50 AM
I have the Kindle reader on my iPhone. I can't stand it. I do, however, have lust in my gadgety heart for the the BN reader.

DamaNegra
10-16-2009, 08:18 AM
I tried out the sony ebook reader when I was in the US, and I fell in love with it. However, I wasn't impressed by the interface. I loved how B&N solved the interface problem. I don't know how the e-stores work, I want an e-book reader mainly to hold all the classics that are free domain and that'd take a lot of space on my bookshelves.

maestrowork
10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I tried out the sony ebook reader when I was in the US, and I fell in love with it. However, I wasn't impressed by the interface. I loved how B&N solved the interface problem. I don't know how the e-stores work, I want an e-book reader mainly to hold all the classics that are free domain and that'd take a lot of space on my bookshelves.

I do think they're going in the right direction and technologically probably even superior to the Kindle, but unless they improve their services and buying/download process, Amazon will still have an advantage -- the Amazon process is so seamless and convenient that it's really a joy to use, and I think that's the key. A device is a device is a device -- but it's the killer apps that would make it all worthwhile, much like the iTune/iPod combo.

Matera the Mad
10-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Too frickin small for my eyes.

DamaNegra
10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
A device is a device is a device -- but it's the killer apps that would make it all worthwhile, much like the iTune/iPod combo.

Huh. Actually I have an iPod in spite of the iTunes thing. Unless they've significantly improved it since I last used it.

ETA: Also, this new e-book reader will have a lending option. If handled right, it could be a great advantage over other e-book readers.

maestrowork
10-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Huh. Actually I have an iPod in spite of the iTunes thing. Unless they've significantly improved it since I last used it.

ETA: Also, this new e-book reader will have a lending option. If handled right, it could be a great advantage over other e-book readers.

I'm not talking about the app itself, but the way music is sold/distributed/etc. via the Apple Store channel. Like it or not, that experience is what pushed the iPod to such stratosphere, and not simply the hardware itself. There are plenty of MP3 players that are just as good, if not better. You may not have liked it, but millions of people are using iTune/iPod.

I'm just curious. If you're not using iTune, what do you use to load/update/etc./download the iPod?

JuliaRene
10-21-2009, 05:32 AM
I noticed this didn't come up in conversation. Anyone else concerned about ownership of the books?

I don't have article links on hand but I remember Amazon yanking books without notice from Kindles. From my understanding they didn't have rights to sell the books, which makes sense why they would want to pull it. Then again if a physical bookstore makes a mistake like that no one is creeping into your house to steal the book back.

I plan to buy an ebook reader for x-mas, but I haven't decided on which yet. I might skip Kindle for the above reason. I'm going to look closely at the terms of service etc before making the final decision.

Looking at the sony since it picks up several formats. The program from their site for their bookstore is a pain though. It doesn't organize my current ebooks well. The new one is supposed to be able to bypass their computer software and go directly to the reader (otherwise I'd spring for a cheap one).

Gonna have to check out the B&N one now too. So many choices! Never thought I'd complain about that problem.

maestrowork
10-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Then again if a physical bookstore makes a mistake like that no one is creeping into your house to steal the book back.

Once it's on your Kindle, they can't take it away -- unless you do a sync, I suppose. I don't sync and I back up my "books" on my PC, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Dicentra P
10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm waiting with one with more functionality -- e-book, word processer and internet browser at a minimum and also I want something that does not tie me to one bookseller. I find the idea squiffy and I won't do it.

maestrowork
10-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm waiting with one with more functionality -- e-book, word processer and internet browser at a minimum and also I want something that does not tie me to one bookseller. I find the idea squiffy and I won't do it.

You may have to wait for the "rumored" Apple iTablet. ;) [Then again, it probably would be tied to iTune or something, although it should read any other formats]

Shadow_Ferret
10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
It's comfortable to me to read, even in bed.

The day they make a device that looks like a book, feels like a book, turns pages like a book-- sort of a holographic ebook-- is the day I'll think about getting one. I also need to be able to read it in full sunlight and if I drop it in the tub, no harm, no foul. Otherwise, none of them really interest me.

JuliaRene
10-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Once it's on your Kindle, they can't take it away -- unless you do a sync, I suppose. I don't sync and I back up my "books" on my PC, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

Gregg
10-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a Kindle 2 and love it. Easy to read - you can change the font size and comfortable to hold.

But as the first of its kind, it is somewhat low tech - especially if you are used to touch screens on the iPhone or Ipod.. Turning pages (forward or back) is easy but navigation through the Kindle Store is a bit clumsy. A touch screen would be great.

It also has a few experimental features which need a lot of work: an MP3 player that only plays songs in the order you downloaded them; internet access which is a joke, and text to speech which is presented in a monotone.

But, it saves your place so if you are reading more than one book at a time you'll be sent to the page you last read. All your books can be archived on the Amazon website so someone else can read them.

If you are out of cell phone range (Spring network) you can buy a book through your computer and transfer it to the Kindle.

All in all it's an excellent product for a first generation product.

Grrarrgh
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I do think they're going in the right direction and technologically probably even superior to the Kindle, but unless they improve their services and buying/download process, Amazon will still have an advantage -- the Amazon process is so seamless and convenient that it's really a joy to use, and I think that's the key. A device is a device is a device -- but it's the killer apps that would make it all worthwhile, much like the iTune/iPod combo.

What is the process to buy/download a book onto the Nook? I was looking at the site and the only info I found seemed like it would be similar to the Kindle (download directly onto the device), but I haven't tried to buy an ebook from B & N before, so I don't know how the browsing and buying goes.

I will say that a side-by-side comparison of the prices of the B&N ebooks with the Amazon ebooks was pretty surprising. A lot of the B&N books are almost double the cost of the Kindle books. One example - The Stand by Stephen King. Kindle - $7.19. Nook - $40. No, that is not a typo. $40 for The Stand e-book through B&N. That is outrageous.

maestrowork
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
What is the process to buy/download a book onto the Nook? I was looking at the site and the only info I found seemed like it would be similar to the Kindle (download directly onto the device), but I haven't tried to buy an ebook from B & N before, so I don't know how the browsing and buying goes.

Obviously, I don't have the BN reader so I can't compare. But I did have the BN/Reader for iPhone and it wasn't up to par. Kindle's wireless process is quick and simple.

I will say that a side-by-side comparison of the prices of the B&N ebooks with the Amazon ebooks was pretty surprising. A lot of the B&N books are almost double the cost of the Kindle books. One example - The Stand by Stephen King. Kindle - $7.19. Nook - $40. No, that is not a typo. $40 for The Stand e-book through B&N. That is outrageous.

Yes, the BN prices are seriously outrageous.

DamaNegra
10-25-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm just curious. If you're not using iTune, what do you use to load/update/etc./download the iPod?

I've plugged the iPod into my computer about 10 times since I bought it last year because I hate iTunes. I usually wait until I have enough new songs to justify the hassle and sync my iPod through iTunes. As you can imagine, I haven't even gotten the iPod OS update that came out a couple of months ago.

But yeah, I can see where a clunky store app would be a turnoff for most people. Not for me, though. I'd never get an ebook reader to read new books. I'd get an ebook reader to download all the classics that are public domain and I'd love to read, but would take kilometers of shelf space.

maestrowork
10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I've plugged the iPod into my computer about 10 times since I bought it last year because I hate iTunes. I usually wait until I have enough new songs to justify the hassle and sync my iPod through iTunes. As you can imagine, I haven't even gotten the iPod OS update that came out a couple of months ago.

By the way, the app on your iPod Touch is iTune. :) So you can't really escape it. :) You use it every day, as a matter of fact, if you're listening to it.

The desktop app is not what I'm talking about, because obviously you can download/buy songs many other ways and just use the app to sync to your iPod (because you can also buy directly from your iPod through wifi). But the native app on the iPod itself is iTune -- that's what I meant.

But yeah, I can see where a clunky store app would be a turnoff for most people. Not for me, though. I'd never get an ebook reader to read new books. I'd get an ebook reader to download all the classics that are public domain and I'd love to read, but would take kilometers of shelf space.

Sometimes we don't miss what we don't know. After using the Kindle's painless buying/downloading process (the book literally appears on it seconds after I bought it, much like how iTune works on the iPod Touch/iPhone), I do believe customers are not going to stand for clunky buying process in the future, from anyone because Amazon has set the bar high enough already in that regard.

But the stickiest point with BN is their prices. They WILL have to significantly cut their eBook prices to compete with Amazon.

DamaNegra
10-25-2009, 11:32 PM
The desktop app is not what I'm talking about, because obviously you can download/buy songs many other ways and just use the app to sync to your iPod (because you can also buy directly from your iPod through wifi). But the native app on the iPod itself is iTune -- that's what I meant.

Oh! Ok. The iPod app is significantly better than the desktop app. Still, I use my iPod more as an ebook reader/agenda/calendar/e-mail/games/writing/internet gadget than a music player :) I'm not much of a music kind of person, what drew me to the iPod touch in the first place was all the extra functionality.

Sometimes we don't miss what we don't know. After using the Kindle's painless buying/downloading process (the book literally appears on it seconds after I bought it, much like how iTune works on the iPod Touch/iPhone), I do believe customers are not going to stand for clunky buying process in the future, from anyone because Amazon has set the bar high enough already in that regard.

But the stickiest point with BN is their prices. They WILL have to significantly cut their eBook prices to compete with Amazon.

Yeah, I was checking that out and whoa. There's no way I'd buy an ebook that would cost the same/more than a real book. That's no way of letting the readers recoup the cost of the gadget. The Nook (what a horrible choice for a name) is, technologically, one of the best ebook readers I've seen, so it would serve my purpose beautifully (never buy an ebook, only download free domain ebooks), but for people who really want to try new books, this is going to suck. Oh, well.