• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Basic writer's block, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always reluctant to actually write. All the ideas are there and I know what I'm going to do, but I'm reluctant to just do it.
It's like the problem I have with high school or college essays, they really aren't that hard for the most part, but I was always hesitant to actually sit down and do them.

Kitara

I do believe in Faries!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know what you're saying. I know these people so well, and I know their stories so well, yet they only exist in my head at the moment. This is my big story I have to write. It feels overwhelming, so instead I write about other things. Like for fun I started a sitcom about my work and it was so easy and fun because I wasn't serious about it (but now I am).

I am also working with the Aritist's Way by Julia Cameron and I find it helpful for "recovering your creative self"

good luck!

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
maybe you're both afraid to succeed? I get the same way sometimes. I've finished 4 novels and need to go back and really get them polished off for agents. But there have been times where I find myself procrastinating to just sit down and write. Crazy really...but I find that if I make myself when I get feeling like this, sometimes that's my best work.

embrace your ideas and don't let fear hold you back. I believe you'll feel so liberated when you do!

Elemental Magic

Story Teller in training.
Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm going through. I've spent so much time on planning and outlining that I have a complete series ready to write. Every time I sit down to write I get distracted with anything I can find. I want to write this so bad. It's so frustrating. :Headbang: I've tried energy drinks, vitamins, fish oil, herbal pills, everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. :Hammer: Help!

GVChamp

dirty statist
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same exact problem. For me, it's because my body doesn't like work and writing IS work. Sit down and power through, and maybe you'll hit a groove at about the 20 minute mark. Usually that's when I'm adjusted and start hitting my 1250 words/hour mark.

And, of course, write as often as possible, or you'll fall back into the habit of not writing.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
There are some scenes that are so crucial that I haven't wanted to rush them, which means I've put them off for as long as I possibly could.

I know exactly what you mean about university essays, I've felt like that a thousand times!

Truth and Fiction

On the tip of my tongue
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauramaylenewalter.com
I think you just described what every single writer on the face of the planet experiences almost every time they sit down to write anything. :)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
A problem that some people have,I don't know if this applies to you,is thinking that you need to write publishable work straight out of the box. There are as many ways to construct a story, as there are writers.But, finding your own way is part of the trick.If things are not working ,try something else .I like to draw a kind of story board with silly little notes written on the side.
When you manage to write something, don't stop,or read over what you have written.Looking over your work later,you may find it's better then editing as you write.
I believe we all have numerous personalties, and not all the personalties are on you side.Develop Mr creative and keep Mr over critical out of you head.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm going through. I've spent so much time on planning and outlining that I have a complete series ready to write. Every time I sit down to write I get distracted with anything I can find. I want to write this so bad. It's so frustrating. :Headbang: I've tried energy drinks, vitamins, fish oil, herbal pills, everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. :Hammer: Help!

I had a similar problem. Have you tried setting a minimum that is absolutely do-able and keeping to that? I set my minimum at 50 words a day, 4 days a week. I used a notebook and worked on it at lunch break. Too slow you say? um - are you going any faster now? ;)

The other one they say is good when you are stuck is write whatever it takes to have a complete finished work. complete means without notes like "(need conversation between mark & monica here)". Even if you say "Mark told Monica that his ex-girlfreind stole all his money" if that's enough to advance your story line, put it down and be happy that you got it out of the way. Finished means that all your plot lines are resolved.

You gotta write that first draft sometime. Let it be godawful and be very happy you got it done. Remember to give yourself permission to write something lame lame lame and take as your reward the word *Finished*

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working through this too. Last chapter and every creative fiber of my body is procrastinating. I can write but it's just no good and I'm skipping ahead, forgetting scenes, almost disregarding the outline completely!

I can't even use my muse for help because it's not the characters or the plot it's me! Maybe I don't want the book to finally end?

Callista Melaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always reluctant to actually write. All the ideas are there and I know what I'm going to do, but I'm reluctant to just do it.
It's like the problem I have with high school or college essays, they really aren't that hard for the most part, but I was always hesitant to actually sit down and do them.

I could have written this myself! But on the flip-side, if you approach "regular" writing like academic writing and actually resolve to sit down and start writing, I think it works! The problem with actual writing is that there is no grade or professor involved, so you aren't writing to avoid consequences (unless you are a professional writer, that is).

I get writer's block a lot, too, but I always find that the best cure is to force yourself. Even if what you write is horrible, you can always go back and fix it later, and it's easier to fix something that is on paper than something that is just an idea.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Here's an method that some folk might want to try.

First, fill some blank pages with space characters. Then set your keyboard in overwrite mode. Then, stick sentences on the page as you think of them, guessing how they relate and how far away you intuit they need to be.

You end up sketching a scene with a line here and there, and another and another, until it's pretty well filled in.

No, I haven't tried it, but Sandra Scofield talks about planning scenes and poets often work this way on paper.

Dgaltfan

The Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storywrite.com
glad I am not the only one who feels anxious and unable to start anything for the fear of the unknown. I love writing but it takes me a lot to do it. It takes me a lot of pushing. I just push it aside because I am too afraid to set pen on paper, I end up with a blank piece of paper not because I have no ideas, but feel anxious about putting any or all that is in my mind down. I could speak it, and stuff but can't write it, and I push homework because of this too, especially essays. I guess I think it harder then it really is, but I can't convince myself that it's not either. It's troublesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.